Kindred Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kindred Healthcare President and CEO Benjamin A. Breier
Benjamin A. Breier

Pros
Cons
  • No 401k match since I've been there (5yrs) (in 29 reviews)

• Horrible Upper Management that are not true to their word (in 54 reviews)

"Manager/My location is somewhere in MA"

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great staff at site level. The team is amazing . Great nursing, aids, chaplain, social workers and bereavement coordinator. Office staff is excellent as well. Everyone works as a team, and all care about the patients.

Cons

Kindred goes off a "model" as to when you can hire staff. The census needs to be a certain level before they hire staff. This is unrealistic. The company is reactive in hiring staff, instead of being proactive. Staff gets burnt out trying to keep up. They keep piling work on you and than say "the model" does not support hiring. I have worked here 3 years, been through 3 ED's. Corporate is about the money and not about staff. Pay is below average, and the benefits are horroable. For the largest health care company our health insurance should be a lot better. We lose staff becasue of the health insurance and the lack of raises. Lack of staff recognition. If you ask for a well deserved raise you do not get it unless you have an offer letter from another company. At that point they will counter, but most great employees leave because they felt devalued.

Advice to Management

You need to recognize your staff. Health insurance needs to be better. Pay needs to be more competitive. Also Kindred no need to write a response "oh please call us with your concerns or call compliance". As I and you know it goes no where. I gave 3 stars for work/life balance because I shut work off. Many work well over 40 hours a week. The work load is rediculous.

"CNA"

Former Employee - CNA/HHA in Westborough, MA
    Former Employee - CNA/HHA in Westborough, MA

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some CNA's are very courteous and easy to work with and the schedules are also reasonable. The Scheduler is nice and can also assist modifying your schedule if you are a student needed more flexibility.

Cons

The place is not well organize, they will easily listen to bad employees over the good ones. Especially the older employee. The older employees feel a bit entitled so they will call out last minute. However the management won't say a word, but when the good CNA's make single mistake it's the talk of the day.

Advice to Management

Listen to every employee concerns, not just the one who have been there longer. because most of them, are just there for the money, and when they see a good employee they will do whatever it take for them to leave.

Jun 4, 2017 – Manager of Online Reputation

Thank you for reaching out to let us know your experience working with us. We understand that both past and present employees contribute to our culture of caring for our patients. Providing your ... More

"Registered nurse ICU"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Spring, TX
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Spring, TX

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers and team work

Cons

Terrible management, poor staffing, never have CNA's, outdated equipment

Advice to Management

focus more on how to keep your nurses happy than bringing in as many patients as possible.

May 25, 2017 – Manager of Online Reputation

Thank you for reaching out to let us know your experience working with Kindred. We value all feedback and utilize it to support our mission. Providing your contact information will help expedite our ... More

"Speech-Language Pathologist"

Current Employee - SLP in Portsmouth, OH
    Current Employee - SLP in Portsmouth, OH

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible with schedules and easy to get paid time off. Director of rehab and staff very friendly.

Cons

Expect a lot but don't offer a lot of incentives.
    No raises
    Too many people "in charge"

Advice to Management

There are too many "middle men" involved which causes confusion and poor communication between staff.

May 18, 2017 – Manager of Online Reputation

Thank you for reaching out to let us know your experience while working with us. We embrace a diverse workforce and understand that our employees are critical to our success in upholding our mission ... More

"Kindred Healthcare can benefit from upgrading benefits for new hires"

Former Employee - Nurse in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Nurse in Houston, TX

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company has benefits, benefits are pale.

Cons

Benefits should be improved and begin within 30 - 60 days.

May 24, 2017 – Manager of Online Reputation

"Stay away for now"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Used to be a great place; pays pretty well.

Cons

Now, management is only out for themselves, and lack experience, wisdom, and good judgement. Lots of layoffs in the past and upcoming. On-going professional development is non-existent.

Advice to Management

Despite the high turnover in executive management for the past couple of years, you've yet to find innovative knowledgeable leaders, or leaders who think past their own bank accounts and prestige.

May 3, 2017 – Manager of Online Reputation

Thank you for reaching out to let us know your experience working with us. We value all feedback and understand our employees are the heart of our company. Providing your contact information will ... More

"Horrible Management"

Current Employee - Therapist in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Therapist in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good co-workers. Good patients and location.

Cons

Horrible management at Emerald Heights. Communication is consistently talking down to employees and arising conflict. Passive aggressive threats of firing people. Habitually unorganized scheduling and blame is shifted to others instead of coming to a reasonable solution. There seems to be a disconnect between upper management, middle management and employees.

Advice to Management

Good luck.

"Not a good culture since Gentiva is running the show"

Former Employee - Xfinity Sales Professional in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Xfinity Sales Professional in Louisville, KY

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great employee benefits and HR support

Cons

The Kindred culture was awesome until they purchased Gentiva. Why Kindred chose to let a losing company run their company baffles me to no end.

Advice to Management

Learn from the Kindred culture and lose the Gentiva one.

Apr 25, 2017 – Manager of Online Reputation

Thank you for reaching out to let us know your experience working with us. We understand that both past and present employees contribute to our culture. Providing your contact information will help ... More

9. "Hospice Sales"

Current Employee - Hospice Specialist in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Hospice Specialist in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management of your own business flow

Cons

Lack of concern to employees

Advice to Management

None

Apr 28, 2017 – Manager of Online Reputation

"Pale shadow of former best-place-to-work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Kindred, during the years 2005-2015 about..was THE place to work at.I was fortunate to experiecne those years. The benefits were good,culture was awesome, location like an art museum to go into.If you wer ein technology they trained you on latest/greatest stuff, brought any hardware or software to keep up with the market. People liked their work,supported each other and worked as teams.In short, it will be on top of the list of the best places i've ever worked at.

Cons

Closer to 2012-2013, they started to yank benefits. There was no 401k,raises were barely noticeable(sometimes you got none), passion for technology tanked with more outsourcing and crappy vendor products, people started to work from home a lot (a benefit one would say but did great damage to team spirit and culture). It is a pale shadow of its former days, very sad to see.

Advice to Management

Talk to older employees or even former employees on how cool those days were. Revive passion and interest for technology. Try to get back there. I'd be personally back in a heartbeat if that happens.

Apr 18, 2017 – Manager of Online Reputation