Kindred Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor

1,145 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,145 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • No 401k match since I've been there (5yrs) (in 29 reviews)

• Horrible Upper Management that are not true to their word (in 54 reviews)

1. "RN case manager"

Current Employee - RN Case Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - RN Case Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, hours, 1 to 1 patient care

Cons

Unorganized, long hours, work life balance is hard

May 24, 2017 – Manager of Online Reputation

Thank you for sharing and for choosing Kindred. We are honored by your service.

2. "Physical Therapist"

Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare (More than 10 years)

Pros

Coworkers work as a team and branch level supervision is supportive.

Cons

Pay keeps dropping and work level keeps rising

Advice to Management

Create more paths for employee growth

May 24, 2017 – Manager of Online Reputation

Thank you for sharing and for choosing Kindred. We are honored by your service.

"CNA"

Former Employee - CNA/HHA in Westborough, MA
    Former Employee - CNA/HHA in Westborough, MA

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some CNA's are very courteous and easy to work with and the schedules are also reasonable. The Scheduler is nice and can also assist modifying your schedule if you are a student needed more flexibility.

Cons

The place is not well organize, they will easily listen to bad employees over the good ones. Especially the older employee. The older employees feel a bit entitled so they will call out last minute. However the management won't say a word, but when the good CNA's make single mistake it's the talk of the day.

Advice to Management

Listen to every employee concerns, not just the one who have been there longer. because most of them, are just there for the money, and when they see a good employee they will do whatever it take for them to leave.

Jun 4, 2017 – Manager of Online Reputation

Thank you for reaching out to let us know your experience working with us. We understand that both past and present employees contribute to our culture of caring for our patients. Providing your ... More

4. "There's no reason to work here"

Former Employee - Staff in Mansfield, TX
    Former Employee - Staff in Mansfield, TX

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The struggle makes you bond with coworkers and you have to work together. They still hire LVNs so there are some good ones to work with. New nurses can get a job, but you may get stuck and don't learn good practice. Most doctors are friendly.

Cons

Management puts money over quality. There's not enough nurses or aids and good ones go to other hospitals. Equipment is old and bandaided together to save money. I love my patients, but when their insurance runs out they get moved to rehab or other care. You know when it happens by listening to case workers. All the CEO wants is good reviews from patients and you cannot win if families get in the way of care. You are trouble if you report things or give ideas to get better. Now at a new job I notice how difficult charting and getting orders is. Expesnive benefits too.

Advice to Management

Invest back to the hospital. Get new equipment, tech, staff. Educate the nurses and cnas on best practice. Try to be the best not richest.

Jun 26, 2017 – Manager of Online Reputation

Thank you for reaching out to let us know your experience with us. We understand that both past and present employees contribute to our culture of caring for our patients and residents. I can be ... More

5. "RNs should avoid this place"

Former Employee - Staff RN in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of your co-workers can be nice to work with, but that's the same everywhere.

Cons

You'll be assigned NINE patients every shift; but, to keep it "legal", they'll also assign you an LVN and a CNA. These are mostly total care patients who are either flat or uncooperative for the most part. There's no medication scanning, no automatic medication dispenser, no open stock fluids, no supplies in the supply room. They're paranoid about cost containment - every single thing has to come out of purchasing, and most of the time you need to get the nurse supervisor to approve every supply request. It is impossible to easily navigate through a chart via their charting system and most of the physicians still write orders and progress notes in their illegible handwriting. Most of the nursing supervisors will yell at you, accuse you of things, jump to conclusions, publicly embarrass you at the nurse's station. This place has a bad reputation and some major hospitals will not accept your time at Kindred in your salary calculation. The facility is run down and dirty. You would not want your loved one to be in this place. This place has a lot of trouble keeping people. Every process is RN-driven, all processes are too paper-intensive, and all of this paper has to go to one person who you can't even find half the time. They complain about "junk overtime" when you're 15 minutes late getting out; but even at 5 minutes per patient, that is (9x5=) 45 minutes of report that they want you to give in 30 minutes. Administration does not have your back. Demanding family members can have their way with you, and all you'll get is a little speech about how you should just smile and not take it personally. The employees who have been there for a while have been so beaten down by this atmosphere that they may be there, physically, but they are not there mentally or in spirit. It's classic mismanagement and penny-pinching taken to its extreme.

Advice to Management

Refer to the Cons section of this review and fix the items I've indicated.

Jun 24, 2017 – Manager of Online Reputation

Thank you for reaching out to let us know your experience working with us. We value all feedback and utilize it to support our mission. I can be reached at experience@kindred.com. Providing your ... More

6. "Human Resources Assistant"

Current Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good compensation for work assignment.

Cons

Management Team lacks communication with employees.

May 17, 2017 – Manager of Online Reputation

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. We are honored by your service.

"Dietary aide"

Current Employee - Dietary Aide in Secret Town, CA
    Current Employee - Dietary Aide in Secret Town, CA

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and room to move up in rank.

Cons

Half of facilities are understaffed

May 11, 2017 – Manager of Online Reputation

Thank you for reaching out to let us know your experience while working with us. We embrace a diverse workforce and understand that our employees are critical to our success in upholding our mission ... More

"Registered nurse ICU"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Spring, TX
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Spring, TX

I worked at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers and team work

Cons

Terrible management, poor staffing, never have CNA's, outdated equipment

Advice to Management

focus more on how to keep your nurses happy than bringing in as many patients as possible.

May 25, 2017 – Manager of Online Reputation

Thank you for reaching out to let us know your experience working with Kindred. We value all feedback and utilize it to support our mission. Providing your contact information will help expedite our ... More

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, good benefits, nice amenities. Has a gym, cafe, and coffee shop. Most managers allow WFH when necessary.

Cons

Instability within departments. Major disconnect between management and employees. Company is on a downhill slide and is reflected in the work environment.

Advice to Management

Not all managers are bad. Advice would be to connect with employees better, better inform employees of opportunities, and treat everyone with respect.

"Occupational Therapist"

Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Kindred Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Freedom to come in, as long as Pt's are seen within their preference. Flexible work days w proactive rehab team.

Cons

Administration hinders rehabilitation productivity, ordering equipment like cushions and walkers takes pulling tooth and nail. As in most places, CNA staffing is always in shortage.

Advice to Management

Quality customer service, and flexibility to adaptive equipment or devices when medically necessary.

May 3, 2017 – Manager of Online Reputation