Kinesis Reviews | Glassdoor

Kinesis Reviews

Updated Jun 12, 2018

Found 9 reviews

5.0
Kinesis CEO Shawn Busse (no image)
Shawn Busse
  1. "Phenomenal culture + impressive team."

Current Employee - Strategist

I have been working at Kinesis full-time for more than a year

Pros

Kinesis got everything that's important about work right. There's enormous investment in the team and culture, and enthusiasm for doing outstanding work for right-fit clients. We have solid processes, and we're always open to evolving them. It's the one place where I found everyone, including leadership, geek out about what actually makes work better and putting it into action. If you're reading about Kinesis and... thinking it might be too good to be true, I want you to know that you're probably seeing an accurate representation. It really is an awesome company to be part of.

Cons

I have not found any.

Kinesis2018-06-13
  2. "A+ Employee Appreciation & Culture"

Former Contractor - Human Resources Consultant

I worked at Kinesis

Pros

I worked with Kinesis as a HR Consultant on several projects over the past few years, ranging from recruiting to HR systems. With over 11 years of experience at many different organizations, Kinesis is leaps and bounds one of the best companies I've worked with. What stands out most is Kinesis' commitment to employee appreciation. Support, professional growth, and celebration is baked into their culture, from... regular team building and volunteer events, to trips, employee “superpower” trophies, and team conferences. Kinesis has many employees with over 5 years of tenure with the company, which is indicative of its ability to recruit, retain, and develop skilled and happy employees. (Even as an external consultant, I felt like a member of the Kinesis family, due to their great ability to convey sincere appreciation for hard work). In addition to having a strong culture, Kinesis is excellent at developing its employees and paving career paths for growth. This can be difficult to accomplish successfully in smaller companies, but Kinesis does a great job at envisioning how new hires and employees fit into their larger growth strategy, building upon their strengths, and, encouraging risk taking. Good work Kinesis – I’m excited to follow your successes!

Cons

Kinesis is a small company, which means that evolution and change are constants. This can be refreshing and stimulating to some, but may not be the best fit for people who are looking for a more traditional corporate hierarchy.

Kinesis2018-06-06
  3. "Cultivating Growth"

I have been working at Kinesis full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have been an employee of Kinesis for over 6 years. What keeps me here? Our team is a big factor. Smart, driven, big thinkers, funny - and everybody is so willing to help each other out, no matter the situation. The ability to transition and evolve my role has also been a big reason to stay. I am now entering my third evolution in my career, without having to look somewhere else. The support to grow in my areas... of interest and passion has been awesome. And, my career hasn't just grown - my family has, too. Kinesis has been incredibly supportive and flexible with a new baby in my life, and I feel better about my career and balancing both than I ever have before. And of course, I've always loved our mission of Transformation, and the ability to bring that to our clients every day.

Cons

While I've enjoyed the environment, a small, flat-structure and growing organization isn't for everybody. We are system / process oriented, but at the size we are at, we're constantly evolving. If you need a clear linear path and set structure, we're probably not the right place.

Advice to Management

It's important to constantly share your vision with the company, so people always know which direction we're heading. It will create a more cohesive team if we're all committed to that vision!

Kinesis2018-05-23
  4. "What a team!"

Current Employee - Strategist in Portland, OR

I have been working at Kinesis full-time for less than a year

Pros

The team approach to work at Kinesis is incredibly empowering. We're all committed to the culture and health of the company. We're all contributing from our strengths and supporting each other's weaknesses. I've never worked somewhere with this level of transparency and empowerment. I feel like my co workers make me better at my job every day.

Cons

I can't think of any cons. I wish I had started working here sooner.

Kinesis2018-05-15
  5. "Resource Manager"

I have been working at Kinesis full-time

Pros

strong culture and very high standards of work, independence and solution-oriented thinking are encouraged, the team is very talented and supportive, open to change and constantly evolving, flat hierarchies, high degree of transparency and involvement of the employees

Cons

the company is on the smaller side, so there is no traditional career pathing like one would find at a larger agency - the upside of that is that it allows for employees to take on initiatives outside of their roles, people often wear several hats

Kinesis2018-05-15

"We're in it together."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Kinesis full-time

Pros

I’ve spent my career in organizations of many shapes and sizes. I’ve never experienced an employer that cares as genuinely for their employees as Kinesis. We’ve been in a steady growth pattern for the last 5 years, and with that has come expanded employee benefits, opportunities for employee development and promotion, and frequent acts of gratitude (that’s right, we each have our own custom superhero statue to... represent our strengths!). Even better, our success is not top-down driven. We’re all actively involved in setting the course for Kinesis’ success and work together to achieve our common vision. This means ample opportunity to collaborate and learn from one another, as well as speak our mind on strategic initiatives that directly impact our own engagement in the organization.

Cons

We are a small team, this means often wearing more than one hat. If you thrive in being singularly focused, this may not be the fit for you.

Kinesis2016-03-14

Kinesis Response

April 5, 2016CEO

Thanks so much for your thoughtful insights and perspective of coming from outside organizations. We're looking to do something different here, and it makes a world of difference when you hire great employees who care as much as I do. Thank you!

"Culture is everything."

Current Employee - Strategist in Portland, OR

I have been working at Kinesis full-time for more than a year

Pros

Does beer in the fridge count? :) No two clients, projects, or workdays are alike. In one week we launched a website for one company and renamed another, all while helping a third with internal culture initiatives like writing job descriptions and building out a career center. The Kinesis model means that marketing extends to every corner of our clients' businesses - which makes the type of work we undertake... diverse, challenging, and fun. More importantly, though, the Kinesis work environment is one of my favorites I've ever been a part of. I can't think of one colleague I wouldn't love to hang out with outside of work - the co-founders Shawn & Wendy have done a great job of filling our team with passionate, goofy people who work hard and love what they do. Teambuilding activities have included skydiving and whitewater river rafting, just to name a few.

Cons

At a growing company, you have to be intimately comfortable with change. Not necessarily a con for me (I love it!), but if you find comfort in structure and predictability, this probably isn't the job for you. Moreover - and this should go without saying - this isn't easy work. I'm constantly challenged to think bigger, go further, and adapt to our clients' changing needs. Definitely not for the faint of heart,... or those looking to kick back with an easy workday.

Advice to Management

Culture is everything, and you've done an excellent job of it so far. Continue to hire based on values first, skillset second.

Kinesis2016-02-25

Kinesis Response

April 5, 2016CEO

Fantastic overview and perspective - thanks for the great advice on hiring, too. Living to values takes work, but we're all-in here. I'm lucky to have you on the team!

"Kinesis is for the nerds."

I have been working at Kinesis full-time

Pros

I never thought I'd find a career in marketing - Kinesis changed that. Every person I work with (whether colleague or client) is a perpetual student. It's inspiring to work alongside people with that kind of drive - and to have leadership fueling that fire. If I go home grumpy, it's usually because I didn't learn anything new that day. Talk about lucky. The business as a whole has been steadily, sustainably... growing. Leadership is working toward open book finances, so every team member has insight into the the financial state of the business and areas of opportunity / risk. Leadership has a clear vision for the future, and encourages team members to lean in as leadership opportunities arise. Other perks include: professional growth and career advancement opportunities, access to leadership and mentors, skills training, investments in community-building, strong culture.

Cons

The work environment is driven - may be too rigorous for folks who aren't accustomed to rolling up their sleeves and getting dirty with a project. Also, high degree of interaction in the office means employees are expected to be physically present the majority of the work-week. Flex-hours are available as needed, but team presence and collaboration are highly valued.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire the right fit employee, focus on sustaining culture through growth.

Kinesis2015-09-01

"Great Culture, Interesting Clients"

in Portland, OR

I have been working at Kinesis

Pros

The people who I work with are brilliant, motivated, and fun. This applies to both the employees and the clients. The company has a great vision of where it's going and what it wants to accomplish as an organization. There are a lot of opportunities for growth within the company and I'm always learning new things about business. Leadership really cares about the team.

Cons

The environment isn't for everyone. It is really tailored to hard workers who think strategically.

Kinesis2015-08-24