Kinesis Reviews

Updated Jun 12, 2018

5.0
Kinesis CEO, Founder Shawn Busse (no image)
Shawn Busse

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Phenomenal culture + impressive team.

Jun 12, 2018 - Strategist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Kinesis got everything that's important about work right. There's enormous investment in the team and culture, and enthusiasm for doing outstanding work for right-fit clients. We have solid processes, and we're always open to evolving them. It's the one place where I found everyone, including leadership, geek out about what actually makes work better and putting it into action. If you're reading about Kinesis and thinking it might be too good to be true, I want you to know that you're probably seeing an accurate representation. It really is an awesome company to be part of.

Cons

I have not found any.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Culture is everything.

Feb 25, 2016 - Strategist in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Does beer in the fridge count? :) No two clients, projects, or workdays are alike. In one week we launched a website for one company and renamed another, all while helping a third with internal culture initiatives like writing job descriptions and building out a career center. The Kinesis model means that marketing extends to every corner of our clients' businesses - which makes the type of work we undertake diverse, challenging, and fun. More importantly, though, the Kinesis work environment is one of my favorites I've ever been a part of. I can't think of one colleague I wouldn't love to hang out with outside of work - the co-founders Shawn & Wendy have done a great job of filling our team with passionate, goofy people who work hard and love what they do. Teambuilding activities have included skydiving and whitewater river rafting, just to name a few.

Cons

At a growing company, you have to be intimately comfortable with change. Not necessarily a con for me (I love it!), but if you find comfort in structure and predictability, this probably isn't the job for you. Moreover - and this should go without saying - this isn't easy work. I'm constantly challenged to think bigger, go further, and adapt to our clients' changing needs. Definitely not for the faint of heart, or those looking to kick back with an easy workday.

3 people found this review helpful

Kinesis Response

CEO

Fantastic overview and perspective - thanks for the great advice on hiring, too. Living to values takes work, but we're all-in here. I'm lucky to have you on the team!

3. 5.0
    Former Contractor, less than 1 year

A+ Employee Appreciation & Culture

Jun 6, 2018 - Human Resources Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

I worked with Kinesis as a HR Consultant on several projects over the past few years, ranging from recruiting to HR systems. With over 11 years of experience at many different organizations, Kinesis is leaps and bounds one of the best companies I've worked with. What stands out most is Kinesis' commitment to employee appreciation. Support, professional growth, and celebration is baked into their culture, from regular team building and volunteer events, to trips, employee “superpower” trophies, and team conferences. Kinesis has many employees with over 5 years of tenure with the company, which is indicative of its ability to recruit, retain, and develop skilled and happy employees. (Even as an external consultant, I felt like a member of the Kinesis family, due to their great ability to convey sincere appreciation for hard work). In addition to having a strong culture, Kinesis is excellent at developing its employees and paving career paths for growth. This can be difficult to accomplish successfully in smaller companies, but Kinesis does a great job at envisioning how new hires and employees fit into their larger growth strategy, building upon their strengths, and, encouraging risk taking. Good work Kinesis – I’m excited to follow your successes!

Cons

Kinesis is a small company, which means that evolution and change are constants. This can be refreshing and stimulating to some, but may not be the best fit for people who are looking for a more traditional corporate hierarchy.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Kinesis is for the nerds.

Sep 1, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I never thought I'd find a career in marketing - Kinesis changed that. Every person I work with (whether colleague or client) is a perpetual student. It's inspiring to work alongside people with that kind of drive - and to have leadership fueling that fire. If I go home grumpy, it's usually because I didn't learn anything new that day. Talk about lucky. The business as a whole has been steadily, sustainably growing. Leadership is working toward open book finances, so every team member has insight into the the financial state of the business and areas of opportunity / risk. Leadership has a clear vision for the future, and encourages team members to lean in as leadership opportunities arise. Other perks include: professional growth and career advancement opportunities, access to leadership and mentors, skills training, investments in community-building, strong culture.

Cons

The work environment is driven - may be too rigorous for folks who aren't accustomed to rolling up their sleeves and getting dirty with a project. Also, high degree of interaction in the office means employees are expected to be physically present the majority of the work-week. Flex-hours are available as needed, but team presence and collaboration are highly valued.

5 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Cultivating Growth

May 23, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have been an employee of Kinesis for over 6 years. What keeps me here? Our team is a big factor. Smart, driven, big thinkers, funny - and everybody is so willing to help each other out, no matter the situation. The ability to transition and evolve my role has also been a big reason to stay. I am now entering my third evolution in my career, without having to look somewhere else. The support to grow in my areas of interest and passion has been awesome. And, my career hasn't just grown - my family has, too. Kinesis has been incredibly supportive and flexible with a new baby in my life, and I feel better about my career and balancing both than I ever have before. And of course, I've always loved our mission of Transformation, and the ability to bring that to our clients every day.

Cons

While I've enjoyed the environment, a small, flat-structure and growing organization isn't for everybody. We are system / process oriented, but at the size we are at, we're constantly evolving. If you need a clear linear path and set structure, we're probably not the right place.

6. 5.0

Great Culture, Interesting Clients

Aug 24, 2015 -  in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people who I work with are brilliant, motivated, and fun. This applies to both the employees and the clients. The company has a great vision of where it's going and what it wants to accomplish as an organization. There are a lot of opportunities for growth within the company and I'm always learning new things about business. Leadership really cares about the team.

Cons

The environment isn't for everyone. It is really tailored to hard workers who think strategically.

5 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0

Resource Manager

May 14, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

strong culture and very high standards of work, independence and solution-oriented thinking are encouraged, the team is very talented and supportive, open to change and constantly evolving, flat hierarchies, high degree of transparency and involvement of the employees

Cons

the company is on the smaller side, so there is no traditional career pathing like one would find at a larger agency - the upside of that is that it allows for employees to take on initiatives outside of their roles, people often wear several hats

8. 5.0

What a team!

May 15, 2018 - Strategist in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

The team approach to work at Kinesis is incredibly empowering. We're all committed to the culture and health of the company. We're all contributing from our strengths and supporting each other's weaknesses. I've never worked somewhere with this level of transparency and empowerment. I feel like my co workers make me better at my job every day.

Cons

I can't think of any cons. I wish I had started working here sooner.

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 English Reviews