King Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
King CEO Riccardo Zacconi
Riccardo Zacconi

Pros
  • benefits, office amenities, work/life balance is excellent (in 18 reviews)

• There are some really great people here, you immediately feel like you this is a great life/work balance company where we do some great stuff (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • More new people are hired with corporate background and don't understand the enterprise's values and principle (in 3 reviews)

• The game development tech is bad (in 3 reviews)

1. "Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Game Team in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Game Team in Seattle, WA

I have been working at King full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Leadership has really paved the way for innovation on our next wave of titles. We have a lot of leeway to be creative and try things to create the next big thing for mobile.
    - Lunches and snacks are plentiful and the office location in Downtown Seattle is central and near a bunch of great stuff.
    - Leadership in the studio has given the game teams a lot of autonomy to build the games and features that they want.
    - We probably have the best culture and teamwork at the studio that we have had in years.

Cons

- Communication with central King Leadership is sometimes slow, which can hamper our ability to get stuff done quickly.

Advice to Management

- Keep giving teams space to be creative!
    - Keep a consistent Prototype process going so ideas don't go stale

2. "Love SF"

Current Employee - Platform Team in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Platform Team in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at King full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We just moved into a new office
    Benefits are getting better and better
    New investment in SF in development and a Top Secret game team
    Local leader is one of the best ( empowering, transparent, always listens and does whatever he can to bridge needs of office and needs of global)

Cons

Benefits are getting better but the new office is in the middle of the finance district so more commuting benefits would be great

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, love the team and the pace...please keep investing in SF we love what we do and feel like we can make an impact globally!

3. "Z2 Studio"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at King full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Seattle studio (Z2) is firing on all cylinders - we have exciting new projects, talented co-workers and managers who are dialed in, but give us enough space and empower us to make cool stuff. Last year had lots of ups and downs, but the leadership team here has given us the green light to do what we need to do to make great games. 2017 is going to be a big year for us, excited to see how everything develops.

Cons

Seems like the office budget has gotten tighter, less team events/celebrations than in the past. It's fun to get together on a Friday and talk shop.

Advice to Management

Keep being supportive and trusting us to do our thing.

"King Performance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at King full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong management team
    Great work culture
    Dedicated resources

Cons

Tough industry
    Hit driven model
    Launches per year

"Very Poor Communication/Organization"

Former Employee - QA Tester/CR Liaison in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - QA Tester/CR Liaison in Seattle, WA

Pros

King is a great company, I can see that with the interactions that I have had with King HQ employees and how helpful those in different offices throughout the Kingdom were when I was building out a new position in our studio. Even though I had never met these people in other offices, they were friendly and went out of their way to answer my questions. Bucharest + Barcelona + Stockholm -- You guys are amazing. I loved my coworkers here, it was great to feel like a team. We did movie nights, happy hours. I played on the company soccer team, I made it out for a company football game. I had the opportunity to ask questions to my coworkers about their jobs so that I could get a feel for a direction I'd like to move for the long term. I saw a lot of growth potential and I was really excited about it. and my team. The 6 people I worked closest with each and every day. They became my family. We worked very hard, under pressure each and every day. Often we didn't have the tools we needed, but we made it work. The dynamic was amazing.

Cons

Poor communication, not a lot of guidance. A new position was needed in our office and I was moved into it in an effort to build it out/make it whole. I loved most of our CR team they were incredibly helpful, but I could see a lack of organization/communication there as well in their hierarchy. This was a new position. Leadership pretty much said hey, you're doing this so do it. No real guidance, no rules. Which was great. Until I tried making meetings that were continuously moved (priorities) and I fell in the cracks/was not set up for success. I had a huge presentation on this role w the Head of QA and was really excited about it, he was awesome. I got a call from the contract agency on a Thursday night (day before presentation) telling me that it was my last day at the company. I had no warning. No one had informed me that anything needed improvement. It was just the beginning and it wasn't a perfect process. I was never given any feedback on what could be better and the only thing needed clarification on had a meeting that Friday (after I was let go) to perfect/gain insight on how other leads wanted it done. The role was also to take things off of the plates of others, to communicate between departments. I went from nearly being converted to a full-time employee 2 weeks earlier, to not having a job at all. My supervisor and his supervisor had no idea that I was being let go. Which means someone higher up made the decision, someone that I suspect was very out of the loop which = poor communication.

Advice to Management

I loved this company. I saw a lot of potential. I left a higher paying job with benefits/PTO etc. bc I saw a long term fit. Even if I had to take a pay cut w no insurance for several months, I was happy bc I knew it was a positive life change. I took a chance on a company that did not want to take a chance on me, and that's unfortunate. My team was angry that this happened. People that I worked closely with were unhappy. My supervisor felt like he had failed me. Since being let go I have heard that this is not the only time this has happened w contract employees in this studio, but that this time specifically was handled very poorly.

King Response

Jan 5, 2016 – Global Employer Brand

Thanks for your feedback and I’m sorry to hear about your experience. We’re committed to creating a great culture and environment for all Kingsters but you’re right, setting up a completely new team ... More

"Seattle Studio Rocks! Overall Awesome Company"

Pros

Seattle studio has an amazing culture of collaboration and innovation. Lou F has done a great job uniting the studio through informative sprint reviews and all hands meetings, while taking the time to work with all the development teams who are in the process of making the next great game. The studio's only live game, Paradise Bay continues to kick butt after its strong push through the holidays.

Cons

They recently stopped serving lunch on Fridays. Oh well, guess the breakfast, free snacks and drinks will have to do.

Advice to Management

Continue to creative great games and move on quickly from anything less.

King Response

Feb 13, 2017 – Global Employer Brand

Great and thanks for sharing your experience! And agreed, keeping the focus on creating brilliant games is the most important. Best Regards / King representative

"Awesome and exciting place!"

I worked at King (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great environment and benefits. Awesome people to work with. Breakfast and snacks, video games, ping pong and pinball at the office.

Cons

Some career opportunities. A bit less in some areas.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Would have been here...but found better offer"

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

Pros

Flexible Hours and lots of perks

Cons

Understaffed, lack of direction, and lots of brown nosing

Advice to Management

Hire more people

10. "accountant"

Current Employee - Accountant
    Current Employee - Accountant

I have been working at King full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment and career opportunities

Cons

it's an intense experience

11. "analyst"

Pros

good work place for entry level

Cons

Need to improve infrastructure of this company