King Soopers Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
King Soopers President Russ Dispense
Russ Dispense

Pros
  • Good pay and benifits are pretty good (in 26 reviews)

• Good benefits, you get healthcare and a 401k (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Very customer focused which can make a work life balance hard to maintain under certain situations (in 16 reviews)

• Upper management couldn't care less about their employees (in 22 reviews)

1. "Deli Clerk"

Former Contractor - Deli Clerk in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Contractor - Deli Clerk in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at King Soopers as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Weekly pay, customer service is nicer to you then the customers.

Cons

If you have another Co worker that has seniority over you and she doesn't like you, your screwed.

Advice to Management

Watch the tapes, you can watch The Sloth Emily force feeding her face back in the dishwashing area.

"Waste of Life"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at King Soopers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many of the people working there seem to mean well. There intentions toward others are not intentionally negative. However, it is obviously poorly structured, filthy, and is based on the rhetoric of "King Soopers is Great!"

Cons

There are no guidelines or clear protocol. I am in training and simply being told to work quicker doing something that hasn't been explained to me. When I ask for the instructions, I am told that they don't have a "guidebook" or "manual". What? These are simple tasks, yes, but if you want them done divinely, then tell me the exact procedure to do it in. Don't expect me to memorize it without being given the information to study/learn it.
    Also, the vast majority of the people that work there--maybe two-thirds--are unintelligent and immature. Not all, of course, but I have never witnessed in my first week on the job such blatant sexual harassment occurring with complete disregard. Furthermore, if you attempt to hold a conversation with a coworker, at best you should simply speak of which bars you want to go to, who won a sports game, or who you're interested in having sex with. I mentioned that I enjoy a few different fields of study and I got blank stares.
    Finally, the pay is terrible. We live in Denver and the minimum wage will soon be up to $12 per hour. Why is the starting wage still below that? Also, an employee benefit that is only offered for "Kroger products" of 10% is flat-out rude. I still shop at other stores. The store itself is disgusting behind the backdoors and I'm certain that regulations are constantly being violated. The goal of the company is simply to appear like it cares about you and to love you. This is blatant propaganda for the corporation.

Advice to Management

Quit. That is my short-term goal.

3. "Please save yourself the pain. Do not work here"

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Aurora, CO

I worked at King Soopers part-time

Pros

Work team typically feel like family. Get paid weekly.

Cons

Upper management does nothing to help bottom level employee issues. Understaffed. People leave left and right because this company treats them like garbage. Union can't do anything to help. Dept heads do whatever they can to push good employees out after an availability change, since they can't just fire them at a union store. It's all business, they don't care about employees. They do whatever they can to promote male employees but string along female employees until they quit. They lie about promotions. They keep college kids because their schedules are a little more open, but make people who have children quit because they can't find/afford a sitter on their joke of a pay scale. You do WAY more work than what you're paid for.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and assistant managers. Do not try to rid yourself of good employees just because their schedules aren't what you want. Be straight up and don't keep people you don't like for the holidays just to make their lives a living hell later so they quit.

"Produce Clerk"

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Highlands Ranch, CO

I worked at King Soopers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If I was forced to say anything positive, I would say at least we make some money? Not enough to pay rent, but at least you get something.

Cons

Oh boy, where to begin.

Now let me start off by saying if you're not extremely extroverted, that already will be a hindrance to any job in King Soopers. I can't speak for other non Kroger grocery stores, but I feel they would be the same way. What I mean is while struggling to do the primary task of stocking produce, you are also expected to interact with every single customer that comes your way. I understand the purpose of customer service. While I personally don't care if anyone says hi to me if I am doing my own personal shopping, I know others will take great offense if nobody even makes eye contact to them. At King Soopers, if you don't make deep conversation with any customer that comes your way, even if the customers ignore you, the managers will yell at you for not having deep conversations with the customers, often threatening you with a write up or even writing you up. You even get yelled at or threatened if a customer walks past you if you don't even see them. They even have secret shoppers whose primary goal is to make sure you are interacting with every single customer. If you don't say hi first, that is an automatic failure and write up. Even the upper management often fail the secret shopper test. If Upper management fails it, no big deal, but if any other employee, including department heads fails it, automatic write up!

Now let's talk about the job itself. Your primary job is to keep the produce stocked on the floor. Honestly doesn't sound hard, right? You even have to rotate stock, break down loads that come in everyday, take out rotten produce, and other similar tasks. Still doesn't sound hard, right? Well, none of that would be difficult if it wasn't for every single manager, department heads included. So, someone who has been there for 10 years would be able to do everything fast and accurately. If you are brand new, you are expected to be able to work at that same level of efficiently right away. Working too slow because you are still learning how everything works and where everything is on your first day? Then you will get yelled at and threatened with a write up. You stock a table and one thing you don't even notice isn't exactly straight? You get yelled at and threatened with a write up. A customer messes up the newly stocked table you just finished in record time and perfectly straight? You get yelled at and threatened with a write up. You ask a question? You get yelled at and threatened with a write up!

Everyday, the department head would find something to yell at everyone for. While she did show us the ropes on our very first day, she just expected us to be experts in the department right away. Just because she has been there over 10 years and finds this job very easy doesn't mean we will be experts on our first day. As far as I know, none of us newbies slacked off, none of us had problems with attendance, everyone did their best to help out customers, and what did we all get in return? Get told that we are doing terrible jobs and constantly get threatened with write ups. It's no wonder the produce department can't keep anyone for longer than 3 months! I was there for only like a month or two, and two people walked out! Looking back, I honestly think it would have been better to just walk out instead of doing the polite thing and giving my two weeks notice (which I don't know how true this is, but I hear rumors of them trying to enforce two weeks notices if you decide to leave). If I do shop at King Soopers, I will avoid the store I worked at, even though there is a retail store I go to down the street.

I can't say anything about benefits or time off since I wasn't there for long at all, but I can say I called in sick once, and the manager I spoke to tried to accuse me if being somewhere other than my house, just because my cell phone's area code was different from what they have.

Advice to Management

If you have employees that are struggling to keep up, find out why. Give them more training, schedule them to work closer to more experienced employees, just help them out. Yelling at them daily and telling them they are doing terrible is not gonna encourage them to be better.

"Horrible company to work for"

Former Employee - Department Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at King Soopers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are a lot of good people who work at the store level. Including store managers and below.

Cons

Treat their employees horrible. Extremely high turn over. Upper management couldn't care less about their employees. They are always in need of help because it's such a stressful place to work. It's not store management that's the problem, it's those who are above them who are the problem.

Advice to Management

Look at your employees as real people, not just an enterprise id number. Pay them a livable wage. You make billions of dollars every year. The worst problem with me writing this is I know you people won't listen one bit. You think you know, but you haven't got a clue. Every year when filling out the employee survey you would go yell at the store level managers instead of looking at yourselves. Those in senior levels. It's not store management that's the problem, it's those in positions above them. If I could give senior management zero stars I would.

"12 year employee"

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Highlands Ranch, CO

I have been working at King Soopers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Paid weekly that's basically it.

Cons

the company has vast number of job openings and can not fill them because they don't pay enough

Advice to Management

treat your employees better than you do and listen to them and not demand more and more from them

"Good if you never want to move up or have a decent schedule."

Former Employee - All Purpose Clerk in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - All Purpose Clerk in Denver, CO

I worked at King Soopers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay checks weekly instead of biweekly, easy job to attain, raises every 6 months based on seniority.

Cons

No upward mobility, they tell you they'll train you for management but never actually promote you. Instead they give you half the skills and keep you at the same pay grade to get as much cheap labor from you as possible.

Management itself is greedy, they get bonuses based on "efficiency" so they won't hesitate to cut hours as much as they can, while still hounding you to work harder.

They schedule based on seniority only, so if you haven't been there 15 years good luck getting any time off. Even if you request the days months in advance, they just tell you "maybe" and schedule you anyway when the time arrives. I was faced with the choice of calling in or giving up flight tickets I'd purchased 2 months ahead of time.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employees. If there's some reason you don't want to promote them, discuss it instead of pretending to want to help them move up.

Also, if you work at store 29 in Denver, stop gossiping to other employees.

"You're Better off Elsewhere"

Current Employee - Front End Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Front End Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at King Soopers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The co workers will make your job bearable. If you were hired before 2005, you have good vacation time and pay and benefits.

Cons

Embarrassing senior management that sugar coats everything. Kroger executive coming into town? Say your prayers and work overtime. Mess it up and you are screwed. No work/life balance whatsoever. Sick and can't get one end off of the toilet? Too bad get to work or everyone else pays.

Advice to Management

Senior management of Kroger needs to get their head out of their rears and start focusing on helping their employees instead of worrying only about their customers and most important to them, their huge bonuses.

"Not a good experience"

Former Employee - Meat/Seafood Clerk in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Meat/Seafood Clerk in Aurora, CO

I worked at King Soopers part-time

Pros

The employees are great people

Cons

The employees are treated like garbage

Advice to Management

Be honest, invest in your people more, stop with the immature games

"Horrible experience for barely worth it pay.."

Former Employee - Cashier in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Former Employee - Cashier in Highlands Ranch, CO

I worked at King Soopers part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get paid money. The insurance is decent, or was when I worked there. The employee discount on Kroger items was helpful for non-food items like knock-off Charmin toilet paper and knock-off Bounty paper towels.

Cons

Stay too long and you can actually start to feel yourself losing your will to live. Unions exist there solely to gobble up your pay check and laugh in your face when you need help. $15 an hour sounds nice on paper, but after the union dues and taxes it's more like $9 to $10. Vacations, days off, and your weekly schedule can be changed with no notice if a person with more union seniority decides they want the day you have off, or your shift. If someone recommends working at King Soopers to you, they secretly hate you and want you to suffer.

Advice to Management

Get the unions out of grocery stores so that hard working employees can prove themselves and earn their pay rather than you sitting there having to fork out money for people who complain constantly about their need for more breaks and more pay for the lackluster job they do.