King Soopers Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
King Soopers President Russ Dispense
Russ Dispense

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You can work up to pretty good pay (in 28 reviews)

• Accommodation, promotions within, good benefits (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Very customer focused which can make a work life balance hard to maintain under certain situations (in 18 reviews)

• Even the upper management often fail the secret shopper test (in 25 reviews)

1. "All Purpose Clerk Grocery"

Former Employee - APC Grocery in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - APC Grocery in Westminster, CO

I worked at King Soopers part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Becoming a Union member is required depending on your store location and it's not a bad thing if you're interested in retirement. Their pension plan is very good and employees are encouraged to contribute to a 401K.

Cons

Company management is difficult to deal with. Managers change positions and stores often and usually are unqualified to manage, no people skills. Positions are filled and promotions given to friends of management.

Advice to Management

Don't try to manage people in a new department until you become familiar with the function of that department. Deal with people fairly and not because they are part of the "good old boy" network.

2. "Over 30, non-male/white limited advancement. Reputation/likability (not experience) is the basis for ALL advancement."

Current Employee - Front End Supervisor
    Current Employee - Front End Supervisor

I have been working at King Soopers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Developing customer relationships are the best part of the job. Decent pay rate at Front End Supervisor level. 401K 100% match at 3% then 50% match at 4-5%.

Cons

ONLY FOUR paid holidays (New Year's Day, Independence Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day) - Maximum of 3 weeks vacation after eight years.

3. "Assistant baker manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Bakery in Thornton, CO
    Current Employee - Assistant Bakery in Thornton, CO

I have been working at King Soopers full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The pay is ok. Sometimes they supply food at meetings, two days off. When you get to leave on time.

Cons

The management is awful no backbone, co workers are catty and negative prepare for nonstop audits and paperwork instead of working on employees happiness with the company to help the even worst customers.

Advice to Management

You guys are focusing on the wrong thing!! Worry about your people and they’ll take care of you. Give me a reason to be happy here.

4. "floral clerk"

I worked at King Soopers part-time

Pros

can be a great way to get experience

Cons

feel like for the amount of work you have to do the should pay more.

"Really Draining Experience"

Current Employee - APC- All Purpose Clerk
    Current Employee - APC- All Purpose Clerk

I have been working at King Soopers part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Weekly pay

- Depending on your store, advancement opportunities are easy. This could also be a bad thing though.

Cons

- Lazy Co-Workers. Most of your co-workers will be lazy. Sure there are some good ones but the older ones typically feel entitled just because they have been there for a while and they become complacent. I have some co-workers whom have forced their way onto self-checkout or express lane just because they do not want to work a regular lane. The younger workers just gossip and don't do anything outside of their job descriptions, you constantly have to remind them to do something. Regardless of age, most co-workers are just plain lazy and will do anything to pawn off work on the hard workers. Even in front-end. They will shut off their lights to talk, they will take the easiest of tasks to avoid work, they will not help you but expect help themselves. The hard-working few are fooled into giving their all.

- No Help. High turnover. Poor hiring choices. Just constantly understaffed.

- No Training. They will typically just throw you to the wolves once you learn any new aspect of the company. Service desk, fuel center, some back department? The most "training" will be a sub-par computer lessons. If you ever learn something else, expect to be scheduled as that thing frequently.

- Poor Floor Management (Head Clerks). Most floor managers in the front end are merely people whom wanted to get paid more and decided to take a position that promised them that metaphorical carrot. My head clerks typically bark out orders and directions and then partake in activities they tell us not to do. Most of them are not very perceptive and can't adapt to changing circumstances well therefore leading to late breaks and poor performance.

- Poor Store Management. The big dogs at the store are just as docile in their temperament. Our store managers only help in dire circumstances. Other than that, they argue about who has to help front end when we are busy. The head store manager typically just disappears. I've only seen them help once when busy.

- Poor District Management. Our district manager comes in every once in awhile with other big wigs whom just poke around and nit pick every little problem that they perceive when they know darn well that if they were actually doing our jobs everyday, they would not have everything pristine themselves. Our store capitulates and puts on this show to appease the big wigs when it is all just for show. Our store does not function that well most of the time. It is easy when your job is to just judge performance for the day. Everyone can pick out the flaws in others more so than their own. I actually had customers complain when corporate came in because corporate did nothing but stand and talk in our front lobby rather than help with anything.

- Gossip. Gossip is rampant here. From managers to regular co-workers. Gossip is what breaks the monotony for a lot of them and therefore, you hear about it too and it drains your energy.

- Scheduling. Scheduling is usually based on need. Most hires are part-time hires yet they schedule them for near full time hours anyways and pull the rug out just as you are about to reach full-time status. If you actually want to work only 20 or so hours, good luck; they will not pay attention to your scheduling requests whatsoever.

Advice to Management

Cut the garbage. No one actually believes that you care about us. Hire enough people whom want to work and give them hours. Keep your part-timers part-time. and get more help, not just the minimum amount.

Help us. Don't just sit up stairs all day.

Hire competent people. Don't just get a body in the door because you can.

Be perceptive. It isn't really that hard.

6. "Not as good as they used to be"

Current Employee - Assistant Deli Manager in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Assistant Deli Manager in Aurora, CO

I have been working at King Soopers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They are good benefits that come after working a year there.

Cons

Store Management for the most part doesn't care. Hard to maintain a life outside of the department. Hours can be horrible if not full time. Constantly short staffed.

7. "It's okay"

Former Employee - Night Foreman in Lakewood, CO
    Former Employee - Night Foreman in Lakewood, CO

I worked at King Soopers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Advancement opportunities are alive and well, they are desperate so will hire multiple positions without having to build your way up( however this means stores don't run as efficiently as they could with properly trained staff who know multiple departments)

Cons

Pay maxes out at 19.11 for management unless you before assistant store manager or store management.
    Upper management is unrealistic, push their standards that aren't working
    Grocery department expectations are unreal and nearly impossible

Advice to Management

Be understanding, the elms system is broken, especially with the grocery and gym departments

8. "Cashier"

I worked at King Soopers part-time

Pros

Benefits with products, flexible managers

Cons

The job itself - Cashiering is difficult. Not a lot of option for growth or having contributing to the company

Advice to Management

More growth opportunity

9. "Poor Policy Obstructs Employees From Doing Their Job"

I have been working at King Soopers part-time

Pros

They are willing to exchange currency in exchange for services.

Cons

The employer can't get out of their own way. The store management, who the pharmacy staff answers to, are totally out of touch with what is required to successfully run a pharmacy.

Additionally, the union renders employees who have been on payroll long term functionally immune to firing, which leads to frustrating disparity in worker functionality.

Advice to Management

Nobody important will read reviews such as these and even if they did, it would not make a difference. The company structure exists to convolute a realistically simple process and make upper management unreachable. Due to this reality, advice to management is pointless, and as a potential employee you should get used to the idea that your complaints will fall on deaf ears.

10. "Great first job. (Not a long term job)"

I worked at King Soopers full-time

Pros

Fun people to work with. Always talking to new customers.

Cons

Management is horrible and unorganized. Extremely hard to move up on the company. Pay is Horrendous.

Advice to Management

Connect with your employees more and help them advance up the ladder