King Soopers Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
King Soopers President Russ Dispense
Russ Dispense

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You can work up to pretty good pay (in 28 reviews)

• Pay is decent for comparable jobs (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Very customer focused which can make a work life balance hard to maintain under certain situations (in 17 reviews)

• Even the upper management often fail the secret shopper test (in 24 reviews)

1. "Right Store Right Price!"

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Fort Collins, CO

Pros

It's a good company with a lot of locations. The people are nice and the pay is good once you get above entry level positions. There are many chances to advance within the company. Hours vary if you are part time but managment is very flexable. You can always request time off and your requests are almost always granted. King Soopers is a senority based employer which means that preferential tasks always go to the people who have worked there longer. For example if you are a courtesy clerk, you often end up checking (which means higher pay). The courtesy clerks who have been at the store longer get put into a checkstand before other employees.

Cons

There are a lot of customers from all walks of life. With so many people comming through every store there are bound to be some people that are difficult at best to work with or help. You're hours may vary greatly depending on the time of year. For example, you will work a lot of hours around Thanksgiving and Christmas, but in January you're hours will be cut a lot. If you are going to be part time, you pretty much have to work nights and weekends because the day shifts monday through friday are covered by full-time people. The work is pretty repetative, but very easy.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

2. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Cashier in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Cashier in Denver, CO

Pros

Work around your schedule if you are in school. Good atmosphere to work and serve customers. The customers come back time and time and you get to know them.

Cons

Can get quite busy at times and not enough cashiers and or baggers. Having to work past breaks sometime because of the rush.

Advice to Management

Offer more incentives for the employees and perhaps raise the wages paid to the courtesy clerks. Also schedule the correct amount of workers when needed.

3. "Best fast-paced pharmacy to work at."

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Longmont, CO

Pros

They pharmacy is non-union which I liked. Great management and job security. The hours go by fast and you are always busy! They give you an hour lunch to which is rare for this kind of job.

Cons

when I started I was at the bottom of seniority in time I worked my way up to days and I regret moving bc I haven't found a job like it since.

Advice to Management

More on the job training

4. "A Great Place To Work/Friendly Co-workers and Managers!"

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk Soon to BE Checker in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

Pros

King Soopers, in my opinion is a great place to work. Never have I seen before the attempt to put Customers First so much. The Managers and trainers put in so much time and effort to sincerely put the customers first.
    I recently started working at King Soopers as a Courtesy Clerk. I went above and beyond, always trying to find something to do so I continued to be busy. It wasn't long before I was recognized and was given many Checker hours. Within the next week or two I may become an official checker.

This just goes to show that if you do your job and more, you will be recognized!

Management does a great job in continually thanking me for my help and service and telling me that I'm doing a great job. I'm so lucky to be working here at this store! I'm not sure if all King Sooper stores are like this, but if they are, then King Soopers has to be the best place.

Cons

From other people's experience, getting time off can be hard. Especially as you begin to move up the ladder, you are expected to work when they expect you to work. But if you communicate well with the managers, they will most likely be willing to work with you and your own personal schedule. You just have to understand that they are running a business and need employees to run it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! I think you guys are awesome! (At least at my store!.. #96)

For managers at other stores, my advice would be to check out the managers at store #96! Take some notes! They are great!

5. "good job"

Current Employee - Assistant Department Manager in Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Assistant Department Manager in Littleton, CO

I have been working at King Soopers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good experience for eventually owning your own business

Cons

lack of consistency for schedualing

6. "very fun"

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Longmont, CO
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Longmont, CO

I have been working at King Soopers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the hours are flexible and they will work around my college schedule. I have the option of moving departments if I want and there is an opening. you get a discount on all Kroger brands. its like having a family everybody looks out for everyone. you get tons of training for your job so you can be comfortable doing your job.

Cons

carts suck be ready to spend an hour chasing carts and still not get anywhere, the customers can be tough at times. and sometimes head clerks just stand around talk and direct like they should.

7. "Bakery Clerk"

Current Employee - Bakery Clerk in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Bakery Clerk in Denver, CO

I have been working at King Soopers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a great job! You will get to learn all aspects of the bakery such as packaging, icing donuts (yum), and most of all sampling the product (best part!).

Cons

Some of the cons are that the pay might be lower than usual, but I myself am okay with the pay. Other cons are the shift times. IF you don't like late shifts like 12:30-9 or really early shifts like 4-12:30am then it is not for you.

Advice to Management

Management is great.

8. "Greatest Employer in The state"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at King Soopers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Since 1947 King Soopers has provided employment at a liveable wage for all and has provided growth opportunities for anyone willing to advance.
    People oriented continues to grow, Colorado proud, Native Company with local priorities,
    Cleanest store in Colorado and City Market on the Western Slope.
    Truly care about the Customer

Cons

Has some associates that will never understand the value of a great company.

Advice to Management

Keep promoting within and listen to all associates.

Continue to keep the customer first

9. "cool"

Current Employee - GM Clerk in Parker, CO
    Current Employee - GM Clerk in Parker, CO

I have been working at King Soopers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

i love it so very much

Cons

i dont hate it at all

Advice to Management

give me your phone number so i dont have to wait till sundays to call you

10. "I have grown with King Soopers been there for 3 years have been trained in several depts"

I have been working at King Soopers part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The hours are fexibile and I work with some very nice people

Cons

It takes a long time to get Full time