King Soopers Reviews | Glassdoor

King Soopers Reviews

Updated March 27, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Good pay and benifits are pretty good (in 26 reviews)

• Pay is decent for comparable jobs (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Very customer focused which can make a work life balance hard to maintain under certain situations (in 17 reviews)

• Upper management dosent treat employees fairly (in 23 reviews)

1. "Boring job not that fun and such a hassle"

I have been working at King Soopers full-time

Pros

they give the legal ammount of breaks

Cons

Standing up the whole shift, bringing carts from outside in cold/hot wheather

Advice to Management

none

"Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Cashier in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at King Soopers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed my co-workers and the flexibility to move around the store.

Cons

It was really difficult to get my manager to work with my schedule while going to school. Upper management can get super finicky over small details.

3. "i like to work in king sooper"

Current Employee - Stocker in Brighton, CO
    Current Employee - Stocker in Brighton, CO

I have been working at King Soopers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

i want to work part-time

Cons

certain benefits that any worker would love.

Advice to Management

save time and money start good carrer

5. "Please save yourself the pain. Do not work here"

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Aurora, CO

I worked at King Soopers part-time

Pros

Work team typically feel like family. Get paid weekly.

Cons

Upper management does nothing to help bottom level employee issues. Understaffed. People leave left and right because this company treats them like garbage. Union can't do anything to help. Dept heads do whatever they can to push good employees out after an availability change, since they can't just fire them at a union store. It's all business, they don't care about employees. They do whatever they can to promote male employees but string along female employees until they quit. They lie about promotions. They keep college kids because their schedules are a little more open, but make people who have children quit because they can't find/afford a sitter on their joke of a pay scale. You do WAY more work than what you're paid for.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and assistant managers. Do not try to rid yourself of good employees just because their schedules aren't what you want. Be straight up and don't keep people you don't like for the holidays just to make their lives a living hell later so they quit.

"Could and should do better"

I have been working at King Soopers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People you work with are great.

Cons

Management does not respect employees as they should.
    Hours aren't great (Retail)
    A company that depends so much on customer service, should treat its employees better

Advice to Management

Acknowledge, Assist, and Appreciate your employees

7. "Great starter job"

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Denver, CO

Pros

-decent and more hours
    -actual considerate people

Cons

There arent any real cons to having this job

8. "Great Company"

Pros

Cares about employees well being, get holiday pay even if you dont work

Cons

honestly, no cons to be said

9. "Review"

Pros

Flexible schedule, good team, nice environment

Cons

Management is difficult, soley based on negative feedback

"Produce Clerk"

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Highlands Ranch, CO

I worked at King Soopers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If I was forced to say anything positive, I would say at least we make some money? Not enough to pay rent, but at least you get something.

Cons

Oh boy, where to begin.

Now let me start off by saying if you're not extremely extroverted, that already will be a hindrance to any job in King Soopers. I can't speak for other non Kroger grocery stores, but I feel they would be the same way. What I mean is while struggling to do the primary task of stocking produce, you are also expected to interact with every single customer that comes your way. I understand the purpose of customer service. While I personally don't care if anyone says hi to me if I am doing my own personal shopping, I know others will take great offense if nobody even makes eye contact to them. At King Soopers, if you don't make deep conversation with any customer that comes your way, even if the customers ignore you, the managers will yell at you for not having deep conversations with the customers, often threatening you with a write up or even writing you up. You even get yelled at or threatened if a customer walks past you if you don't even see them. They even have secret shoppers whose primary goal is to make sure you are interacting with every single customer. If you don't say hi first, that is an automatic failure and write up. Even the upper management often fail the secret shopper test. If Upper management fails it, no big deal, but if any other employee, including department heads fails it, automatic write up!

Now let's talk about the job itself. Your primary job is to keep the produce stocked on the floor. Honestly doesn't sound hard, right? You even have to rotate stock, break down loads that come in everyday, take out rotten produce, and other similar tasks. Still doesn't sound hard, right? Well, none of that would be difficult if it wasn't for every single manager, department heads included. So, someone who has been there for 10 years would be able to do everything fast and accurately. If you are brand new, you are expected to be able to work at that same level of efficiently right away. Working too slow because you are still learning how everything works and where everything is on your first day? Then you will get yelled at and threatened with a write up. You stock a table and one thing you don't even notice isn't exactly straight? You get yelled at and threatened with a write up. A customer messes up the newly stocked table you just finished in record time and perfectly straight? You get yelled at and threatened with a write up. You ask a question? You get yelled at and threatened with a write up!

Everyday, the department head would find something to yell at everyone for. While she did show us the ropes on our very first day, she just expected us to be experts in the department right away. Just because she has been there over 10 years and finds this job very easy doesn't mean we will be experts on our first day. As far as I know, none of us newbies slacked off, none of us had problems with attendance, everyone did their best to help out customers, and what did we all get in return? Get told that we are doing terrible jobs and constantly get threatened with write ups. It's no wonder the produce department can't keep anyone for longer than 3 months! I was there for only like a month or two, and two people walked out! Looking back, I honestly think it would have been better to just walk out instead of doing the polite thing and giving my two weeks notice (which I don't know how true this is, but I hear rumors of them trying to enforce two weeks notices if you decide to leave). If I do shop at King Soopers, I will avoid the store I worked at, even though there is a retail store I go to down the street.

I can't say anything about benefits or time off since I wasn't there for long at all, but I can say I called in sick once, and the manager I spoke to tried to accuse me if being somewhere other than my house, just because my cell phone's area code was different from what they have.

Advice to Management

If you have employees that are struggling to keep up, find out why. Give them more training, schedule them to work closer to more experienced employees, just help them out. Yelling at them daily and telling them they are doing terrible is not gonna encourage them to be better.

11. "Could be worse"

Former Employee - Checker in Firestone, CO
    Former Employee - Checker in Firestone, CO

I worked at King Soopers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy - as jobs go checking groceries is one of the easiest you'll find
    Flexible (ish) schedule - as long as you can find someone to switch with you, the management usually doesn't ask any questions
    Easy to get hired - literally just had to pass a drug test.

Cons

People are stupid - it's a customer service job... people suck
    Retail - If you have worked retail before you know what I'm talking about... if not... you'll see
    Pay is really low - minimum wage is pretty low

Advice to Management

You manage people working in a (for most of them) dead end job who really don't care about the company values and the excessive "go team!" BS. They will never be as serious about it as you are, so chill.