King Soopers Reviews | Glassdoor

King Soopers Reviews

Updated November 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You can work up to pretty good pay (in 28 reviews)

• Accommodation, promotions within, good benefits (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Very customer focused which can make a work life balance hard to maintain under certain situations (in 18 reviews)

• Even the upper management often fail the secret shopper test (in 25 reviews)

1. "Head Clerk"

I have been working at King Soopers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a job, it pays the bills with help.

Cons

To much to say about all this.

2. "Assistant baker manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Bakery in Thornton, CO
    Current Employee - Assistant Bakery in Thornton, CO

I have been working at King Soopers full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The pay is ok. Sometimes they supply food at meetings, two days off. When you get to leave on time.

Cons

The management is awful no backbone, co workers are catty and negative prepare for nonstop audits and paperwork instead of working on employees happiness with the company to help the even worst customers.

Advice to Management

You guys are focusing on the wrong thing!! Worry about your people and they’ll take care of you. Give me a reason to be happy here.

3. "A good family oriented place to work"

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at King Soopers full-time

Pros

Accommodation, promotions within, good benefits

Cons

Large work loads, often rushed, high sometimes unrealistic expectations

Advice to Management

Don't spread employees so thin

4. "floral clerk"

I worked at King Soopers part-time

Pros

can be a great way to get experience

Cons

feel like for the amount of work you have to do the should pay more.

"Really Draining Experience"

Current Employee - APC- All Purpose Clerk
    Current Employee - APC- All Purpose Clerk

I have been working at King Soopers part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Weekly pay

- Depending on your store, advancement opportunities are easy. This could also be a bad thing though.

Cons

- Lazy Co-Workers. Most of your co-workers will be lazy. Sure there are some good ones but the older ones typically feel entitled just because they have been there for a while and they become complacent. I have some co-workers whom have forced their way onto self-checkout or express lane just because they do not want to work a regular lane. The younger workers just gossip and don't do anything outside of their job descriptions, you constantly have to remind them to do something. Regardless of age, most co-workers are just plain lazy and will do anything to pawn off work on the hard workers. Even in front-end. They will shut off their lights to talk, they will take the easiest of tasks to avoid work, they will not help you but expect help themselves. The hard-working few are fooled into giving their all.

- No Help. High turnover. Poor hiring choices. Just constantly understaffed.

- No Training. They will typically just throw you to the wolves once you learn any new aspect of the company. Service desk, fuel center, some back department? The most "training" will be a sub-par computer lessons. If you ever learn something else, expect to be scheduled as that thing frequently.

- Poor Floor Management (Head Clerks). Most floor managers in the front end are merely people whom wanted to get paid more and decided to take a position that promised them that metaphorical carrot. My head clerks typically bark out orders and directions and then partake in activities they tell us not to do. Most of them are not very perceptive and can't adapt to changing circumstances well therefore leading to late breaks and poor performance.

- Poor Store Management. The big dogs at the store are just as docile in their temperament. Our store managers only help in dire circumstances. Other than that, they argue about who has to help front end when we are busy. The head store manager typically just disappears. I've only seen them help once when busy.

- Poor District Management. Our district manager comes in every once in awhile with other big wigs whom just poke around and nit pick every little problem that they perceive when they know darn well that if they were actually doing our jobs everyday, they would not have everything pristine themselves. Our store capitulates and puts on this show to appease the big wigs when it is all just for show. Our store does not function that well most of the time. It is easy when your job is to just judge performance for the day. Everyone can pick out the flaws in others more so than their own. I actually had customers complain when corporate came in because corporate did nothing but stand and talk in our front lobby rather than help with anything.

- Gossip. Gossip is rampant here. From managers to regular co-workers. Gossip is what breaks the monotony for a lot of them and therefore, you hear about it too and it drains your energy.

- Scheduling. Scheduling is usually based on need. Most hires are part-time hires yet they schedule them for near full time hours anyways and pull the rug out just as you are about to reach full-time status. If you actually want to work only 20 or so hours, good luck; they will not pay attention to your scheduling requests whatsoever.

Advice to Management

Cut the garbage. No one actually believes that you care about us. Hire enough people whom want to work and give them hours. Keep your part-timers part-time. and get more help, not just the minimum amount.

Help us. Don't just sit up stairs all day.

Hire competent people. Don't just get a body in the door because you can.

Be perceptive. It isn't really that hard.

6. "King Soopers Associate Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at King Soopers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had a lot of great coworkers. I enjoyed the actual duties of the job. Most of the customers were pleasant.

Cons

Bad management at almost every level. The company doesn't care about it's employees. Even with a hospital note, you can get written up for not being at work.

Advice to Management

Try to actually put forth effort into caring about your employees. Don't dismiss the people below you.

7. "Service desk associate"

I worked at King Soopers part-time

Pros

Always things to do, friendly coworkers in the department, decent hours

Cons

Unfair treatment by front end management, disrespectful comments, coworkers not doing their share of the work

Advice to Management

It is not okay, ever, to treat your employees like they are not as good as the management staff. It’s inappropriate to blame people for things that they were not responsible for. The front end staff at my store (a select few of them) were disrespectful and targeted me when I was an extremely hard worker and always did my job, treated my customers and coworkers with respect, helped anyone who needed it. It’s disappointing when you have to quit your job because you are harassed by your management team because of one or two flaws that didn’t affect anyone but myself. That’s wrong, they should not at all be like that. That’s not how they are trained. Management, although they are the head of the store, the superiors of most employees, should not ever treat the normal staff that work so hard, that like the management team is better than the rest. At the end of the day we are all working together as a giant team to run the store and no one is better than anyone else in that environment. It is extremely unprofessional and intolerable. To feel like you are being belittled by your management is just depressing. No one should ever have to feel that at their place of employment.

8. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at King Soopers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company, supportive, lots of opportunities

Cons

Holidays and long hours
    Sometimes the commute can be long

9. "Speak English a little bit of Spanish I'm only 14"

Current Employee - Cashier in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Cashier in Denver, CO

I have been working at King Soopers part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I would like to be a cashier u guys need more of that

Cons

Not a lot of people working

Advice to Management

To get more customer service

10. "More for less"

Former Employee - Service Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Service Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at King Soopers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

most cases close to home, good co workers in the majority, hours are flexible on a case by case bases. more hours you work the more you get a raises.

Cons

You will be expected to do more and more with less incentive to do so. it can depend on the store manager and department you work in or if you are union or non union. the "more" will come from HIGH turnover at almost all stores, so in most experiances you will be doing 2 or 3 peoples job and expected to complete all tasks at or above normal standards while OVERTIME IN ALMOST ALL CASES WILL RESULT IN A NEGATIVE RESPONSE FROM MANAGERS AND IN MANY CASES WILL RESULT IN DISCIPLINE OR HOURS BEING CUT .

the job will grind you down unless you find a good position that suites you, and even then managers move often, meaning one month you are a stellar employee and love your job and the next you are under performing and looking for any excuse to miss work

Advice to Management

Nothing, this is retail in the grocer business where MORE FOR LESS is what the customer wants and the employee gets LESS FOR MORE