King Soopers Reviews | Glassdoor

King Soopers Reviews

Updated March 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Good pay and benifits are pretty good (in 26 reviews)

• Pay is decent for comparable jobs (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Very customer focused which can make a work life balance hard to maintain under certain situations (in 17 reviews)

• Upper management dosent treat employees fairly (in 23 reviews)

"Horrible company to work for"

Former Employee - Department Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at King Soopers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are a lot of good people who work at the store level. Including store managers and below.

Cons

Treat their employees horrible. Extremely high turn over. Upper management couldn't care less about their employees. They are always in need of help because it's such a stressful place to work. It's not store management that's the problem, it's those who are above them who are the problem.

Advice to Management

Look at your employees as real people, not just an enterprise id number. Pay them a livable wage. You make billions of dollars every year. The worst problem with me writing this is I know you people won't listen one bit. You think you know, but you haven't got a clue. Every year when filling out the employee survey you would go yell at the store level managers instead of looking at yourselves. Those in senior levels. It's not store management that's the problem, it's those in positions above them. If I could give senior management zero stars I would.

"Unsupported by Store Management"

I have been working at King Soopers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I appreciate my coworkers and the bond we have established as a team.

Cons

Takes a long time to advance... Benefits take a long time to obtain... Vacation time takes a long time to obtain and the stores are usually too short staffed to accommodate time off... Management at a store level and higher all seem to have unrealistic expectations, poor prioritizing skills, and poor recognition of dedication by hard working people.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your workers more and they will WANT to work hard for you. Don't undermine their abilities, loyalty, and dedication by lacking pay, benefits, and appreciation. A little bit of appreciation goes a long way.

3. "Clerk"

Pros

Work with schedule, flexible, able to change locations

Cons

Not much for raises or pay increases, different stores are different so some things that are good are not necessarily true everywhere

"Not the worst..far from the best."

Former Employee - Over Night Stocker in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Over Night Stocker in Denver, CO

I worked at King Soopers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay/experience helped up my pay rate.
    Vacation/decent insurance
    Reasonable dress code

Cons

Working "part time", but getting 40 hours a week.
    Can only apply to be full time 1 time per year.
    "Mandatory" overtime.
    Even if you have school, they try to make you work over.
    Buddy-Buddy system.
    Huge turnover rate, always short on help.
    Store manager has to "approve" a transfer..so if you want to leave and they need you..or don't need you...well, you are screwed.
    Too much "old boy's club" vibe to how they make personnel decisions.

Advice to Management

Maybe hire professionals instead of whomever you can grab off the street?
    Enforce union rules, don't try to force employs to work over 40.
    Maybe, make 40 hours a full time position instead of calling it part time..

"Pharmacy technician"

Pros

Not that I can think of, time flexibility

Cons

Crappy customers, numbers focused management, lazy coworkers.

"Friendly coworkers/environment but lack of respect for student workers"

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk

Pros

Diverse working environment. Fast-paced. Friendly and fair managers (for the most part).
    Some opportunity for career advancement.
    For the most part customers are friendly.

Cons

Lots of time required for career advancement.
    Weird scheduling and lack of consideration for employee schedules.
    Some customers really test your patience.
    Too much emphasis on seniority and loyalty and not enough on personal skill level.
    Very hierarchical employee structure.

Advice to Management

Please honor college students who have tight schedules. We go thousands into debt to receive higher education and could really use your support. If I genuinely have college exams in the evening and I give you multiple notices several weeks in advance, you cannot blame me when I need to switch my shift with another worker when I end up scheduled to work on the one night/time that week I requested off to take a college exam!!

"This company has too many excuses for why its your fault and not theirs"

Current Employee - CAO Coordinator
    Current Employee - CAO Coordinator

I have been working at King Soopers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are decent but only kick in after a year of employment
    Pay for experience not bad, nor for assistant department managers and higher

Cons

Its all about who you know
    Starting pay is not great
    They overwork you and demand you work overtime or else they threaten your job
    Store management team only cares about what makes them look good and not what is best for their employees
    High turnover rate so never enough help
    Store management never helps out their teams
    No help on balancing work/life
    They don't take well to working with students and their schedules even if they say they will during the interview process
    Senior management tends to threaten employees who are already under pressure to get more done then they can
    Not every store is as bad as the one I work at but none of them are good

Advice to Management

Respect your employees
    CEO needs to reorganize that the senior management is a buddy-buddy system and needs to be replaced
    Actually start training new hires

9. "Courtesy Clerk"

Pros

This position helped to develop the customer service skills necessary to obtain positions in other organizations. Working with a diverse group of customers on a daily basis had a positive effect on my networking skills.

Cons

Pay is minimum wage. As an employee I felt under appreciated by management at my store; I worked there for four months and my manager still got my name wrong. I did not enjoy this position, but if you really need money they will pay you (minimally).

"Only Good If You Really Need a Job"

Pros

It was an ok job for the 3 years I worked here. Look, it helped me get me my first car which is great.

Cons

Did you know what I had to do to get that car? Work overnights when I didn't have to due to "seniority" which is complete bull. Holidays? What are those? If you want to go to school, then quit. King Soopers does not give a rat's tooth about you wanting to better yourself. They would rather make you management and after that point say good bye to your life all together. And did I mention the sexual harassment I got? Yeah! As a female I had to deal with my male co-workers talking about what's in my pants and that I should use this razor to shave. And did I go to management and the union about this? YES! And what happened? "Oh well you see, that guy has a mental disability called asburger and that means he doesn't know what he is saying." So me and tons of other female employees get to deal with this and he gets off scott free?! Just because he says he has a condition?! And even to customers too he pulls this kind of act. Or how about the other male co-worker that enjoyed "massaging" other co-workers without consent? Oh he doesn't get fired cause I am uncomfortable about some creep touching me. No I get sent to overnight shifts in grocery as to "not cause conflict".
    So if you are a female looking to work for this company, don't.

Advice to Management

Ummmmm, how about you care about ALL your employees and not act like some king who doesn't have to do a thing?! OR how about getting rid of employees that can't follow common sense (i.e. stop the sexual harassment!)

"courtesy clerk/ bagger"

I have been working at King Soopers part-time

Pros

You can get promoted fairly quickly.

Cons

Management expects too much out of you for little pay.

Advice to Management

Pay the courtesy clerks/ baggers more than just $9.00. and give set schedules to those that have families, second job or going to school. Equipped the cc's and head clerk with hand radio for communication when out doing carts.