King Soopers Reviews | Glassdoor

King Soopers Reviews

Updated April 19, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Good pay and benifits are pretty good (in 26 reviews)

• Pay is decent for comparable jobs (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Very customer focused which can make a work life balance hard to maintain under certain situations (in 17 reviews)

• Upper management couldn't care less about their employees (in 23 reviews)

1. "front end supervisor"

Current Employee - Front End Supervisor in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Front End Supervisor in Aurora, CO

I have been working at King Soopers (More than 5 years)

Pros

Manager others and handling money and enjoy working customers

Cons

The hours all over the place

Advice to Management

I have been in management for you about 10 years

2. "I'm Sure It Varies From Store to Store."

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Littleton, CO
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Littleton, CO

Pros

Some coworkers are cool. The store I am at has a cultural council that is a good outlet for discrepancies, complaints, and other HR purposes. The deli is always busy and the time goes by fast. The weekly paycheck is nice. Customer service experience. You get to learn how a grocery store deli operates and help people get their meats and cheeses. Ten percent discount on Kroger items. The meat department can help you if it is super busy. You can get a pension if you stick it out for ten years with the company. You can transfer stores after your 60 day probationary period.

Cons

Seniority in scheduling and pay. Some senior members of the staff never close and have set hours in the schedule while new clerks are paid less with no consistent schedule. Senior management, i.e. assistant store managers and store managers, do not do anything for the clerks. The only things I have seen them do in my store was to ask us to prioritize tasks while only one of them has come behind the counter to help us with customers; she recently left and probably moved up in the company. I hear coworkers and assistant managers complain about the job itself and customers themselves at my store, sometimes right in front of them where they can hear. That is completely unnecessary and a major part of the reason I no longer work there. The deli is understaffed at my location right now and has been the entire summer. We have four slicers but we only use three of them and they will not schedule more people or even call in people from other stores to make up for missing hours. Sometimes it is only me and one other person closing a deli with four slicers-one of which is never used, four ovens, a 20 case hot bar, two fryers, two warmers, and dishes; all of which is done on other nights with four people with the same time allotted. My contract is part time and I haven't worked less than 32 hours a week since I began there. Upon signing my contract there was an understanding that I would work between 20-28 hours per work week but that never materialized as management can assign 40 hour weeks to part-timers like myself; I have a part time contract and am only eligible for part-time benefits yet get 40 hours a week. Lastly, an inconsistent schedule that gets finalized on Saturdays and starts the next day.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to make sure departments are fully staffed so part time means part time. Departments need more managers, each one only has one currently, so the managers are less overworked and less stressed. Upper management should be trained and able to help the bakery, deli, and meat departments when it is really busy; I know they can help the front end.

"produce clerk"

Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Denver, CO

I have been working at King Soopers part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Easy work, with seniority flexible shifts

Cons

nothing is ever right to management

Advice to Management

stop micromanaging

"NEVER ever ever ever get a job with King Soopers"

Current Employee - General Merchandise Department Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - General Merchandise Department Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

Very Good benefits after one year. Weekly pay.

Cons

King Soopers DEMANDS loyalty, but offers none, you will NOT do anything here but ruin your life. I cannot overstate how crucial it is that you never get a job here.

I have worked for King Soopers since 2008 and in this time it has gone from a fun, productive (if strict) workplace to one that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemies.

LET ME BE CLEAR, this is not the rantings of someone who just got in trouble, is upset that they didn't get their birthday off, or who likes to spread negativity, on the contrary, I only hope that by posting this I can save you my fate.

What is being done at King Soopers at present is definitely criminal and if anything, the company is headed for (another) class action suit rather than any commendation.

There are a variety of reasons that King Soopers is the most miserable, unforgiving place you could ever work, however we will stick to those that affect the greatest amount of people for the sake of brevity.

King Soopers will tell you ANYTHING they have to to get you to sign on, they will promise you time off, promotions, discounts, etc..., etc... because there is absolutely NOBODY applying at their stores at present. For instance, when I worked at the Kings on 30th and Arapahoe in Boulder it was not uncommon for us to get 3 apps a week... for the entire county.

Why? Because King Soopers is a depraved hellhole.

Let's walk through what will happen to you if you manage to pass King Soopers often faulty drug and background tests...

Your first two days will be all "rah rah", "you will be somebody" type talk, you will do training on a computer program. You should disregard all this training as it is patently wrong (except for food safety). After this, you will get your first schedule. You will be promised that King Soopers follows the "select-a-shift" process. Rest assured that you have zero control over your schedule. The originial idea of this is genius, the manager writes the schedule, then everyone in the department selects their shifts by seniority from top to bottom. This is unlikely to happen, and if it does, Kings reserves the right to change the schedule until NOON ON SATURDAY as in 12 hours before the new week starts (Kings runs Sunday to Saturday schedules). No matter how much or little notice you receive you are expected to show up when they want or face suspension and docked pay.

Moms with kids? Forget it.
    Grandma is dying of cancer? You can go see her next week. (If she dies you're entitled to two days off).
    Can't find a babysitter for the midnight shift? One day without pay.
    Wedding you requested off 5 months ago? Needs of the business.
    Olympic tickets they want you to cancel? Think of your "career"...

This is all for 10 an hour. Read that again, 10 an hour. Unless you have relevant experience you will start at 10 an hour. What Kings thinks is relevant experience is... it had to have happened at a grocery store in the last year or two. You may have been a master floral designer, published cake decorator, or skilled butcher, but if you didn't do any of this at S*feway, Spr*uts, or Wh*le Paycheck, well you will not get paid one cent extra for your experience (KS clerks top out at 18 an hour).

For your 10 an hour you can go ahead and assume you have zero rights to ask for days off (you're better off saying you have a doctor's appointment than your daughter's birthday, because believe me if they think they can coerce you into coming in... they will).

Once you get there, it only gets worse. King Soopers has mastered the art of wringing every last ounce and teaspoon of physical effort out of you you can possibly handle, every task that could ever take place in a grocery store (stocking shelves, throwing trash, using the bathroom, talking to customers) has been measured by them as to how long it takes an average person to do them, this number is the base number for the amount of hours your department is allotted (remember this, it's important later). The hours are dispensed by a program called ELMS. The expectation of King Soopers management is that there is never even a tenth of an hour of overtime. Yes, in a store staffed by 140 to 230 people, they expect there to be not even a tenth of an hour of overtime paid. Seems simple right? Leave when they tell you... WRONG.

It doesn't matter if you are down 3 people, someone calls in sick, or someone literally dies. NO overtime. I was recently part of a week long project that was supposed to be staffed by 8 people for three days. We had 4, 4, and 2 people on the team on each of the three days we were supposed to do this project. What was the expectation? ZERO overtime, but those of us who bothered to show up for work were expected to achieve the same results as the original 8 person team or face discipline. Let me clarify. You are expected to achieve the same results as 8 people working even if there are 4 or 2 of you. This is so common in the Kings workplace that it isn't even worth mentioning. That is on top of the fact that all the measured tasks must have been done by super humans because the amount of allotted hours never matches reality in the first place.

When I was Produce Manager at Kings in Lafayette, we were the number one store in sales of packaged corn. Packaging corn takes a while. Roughly 45 minutes to convert 4 cases of regular corn into shucked, packaged corn. We sold about 80 packages a day. 48 ears per case divided by 5 ears per pack equals about 6.5 hours of work, per day. The system generated 2 hours a day for this. BUT WAIT they expect 200 packages on display at all times whether they will sell or not... you do the math.

The newest torture is called the "standards walk" wherein you can be written up for DUST on the shelf, one missing sign in your entire department (4500+ items in the department). You won't have time to fix this because they will not hire baggers, they expect that they can page you and you drop what you're doing to bag groceries or ELSE. (this is not in ELMS)

This isn't even getting into the sadly jacked up side of management, trust me it's only worse from there and people are quitting like crazy.

Seriously, take it from a "lifer"... get a different job.

Advice to Management

Formally apologize to employees for the "standards" you promote, donate your assets to charity, turn yourselves over to federal prosecutor.

6. "Dont get stuck"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at King Soopers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company is well established. Pay is market value.

Cons

No investment in training. Company attempts to execute too many programs as a result the programs are rarely executed according to plan.

ZERO accountability in any part of the organization.

Advice to Management

Empower the middle managers Department and Assistant Department Manager Levels by investing in training

"Don't do it"

Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in Denver, CO

I have been working at King Soopers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with
    Easy to transfer positions
    Nice building
    That's all I have for the pros it's actually pretty awful

Cons

Terrible pay
    Incredibly hard to move up
    Incompetent management
    Inconstistent schedule
    No respect
    Very little benefits

Advice to Management

Do better

8. "Night crew"

Current Employee - Grocery Night Clerk in Cheyenne, WY
    Current Employee - Grocery Night Clerk in Cheyenne, WY

I have been working at King Soopers part-time

Pros

Zero pros to this job

Cons

Part time to kings means 60 to 70 hrs a week. Equipment is always broken or in the worst shape it could be in. Management rather the store look good than working the load to the shelf. Completely unrealistic goals set for the night crew.

Advice to Management

Find a new line of work.

9. "King Soopers Review"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Gunbarrel, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Gunbarrel, CO

I worked at King Soopers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, most of the management cared about the employees

Cons

Not enough training for a job involving sensitive money-handling tasks. Employees would be written up for a violation that was taught only once, during online training. No signs were posted regarding important rules for Western Union, etc. Pay was very low. Those in charge of scheduling often give over full time hours to part-time employees, with no benefits. Did not listen to scheduling requests for doctors' appointments, etc.

Advice to Management

Provide more training when it is clear that employees need it. Respect the fact that employees may need certain schedules to work around other responsibilities.

"Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY

Pros

Co workers were great people.

Cons

Management made the job harder than it need to be.

11. "Grocery"

Former Employee - Dairy Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Dairy Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at King Soopers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people to work with, weekly pay.

Cons

Got way too corporate literally no autonomy at the store level which is a big issue store to store and clientele that shop there.

Advice to Management

Nothing to the store manager I had but Upper management and schematic guy..... wow just because it says it on a paper doesn't make it so. Seriously look at sales before you seemingly arbitrarily give products that don't sell more facings that do sell, even if they sell at other stores. AUTONOMY.