King & Spalding Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 29, 2017

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
King & Spalding Chairman Robert D. Hays Jr.
Robert D. Hays Jr.

Pros
  • Great experience with a tier one law firm that will expose you to many areas of law working with some of the biggest companies in the world (in 6 reviews)

• The benefits are also great - people can and do take their vacation time and the parental leave policies are fantastic (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There are very high expectations for quality of work product and availability, which can be stressful and lead to a lopsided work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Despite the long hours we were kept perpetually under a "contract" status, denying us many benefits (in 9 reviews)

"Business Development"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at King & Spalding (More than 8 years)

Pros

King & Spalding places great emphasis on mentorship that is encouraged across all levels of lawyers and and staff. The marketing and business development group is a cohesive team that drives activity across the firm's US and international offices. It is a very dynamic environment, and very satisfying to work at one of the world's highest rated firms.

Cons

King & Spalding expects excellence in our work product and that drives each of us to raise our own standards. It is not a con by any stretch, but you must be willing to work hard and work to your highest level across all projects from large to small.

2. "Project attorney"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at King & Spalding full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Entry-level attorney position; no experience needed

Cons

No potential advancement opportunities; no benefits; not necessarily steady work

3. "The people make the job"

Former Employee - Part Time Legal Secretary in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Part Time Legal Secretary in New York, NY

I worked at King & Spalding part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay / benefits; talented support staff

Cons

Inflexibility - must be full time or nothing; no advocate for support staff - if there is a complaint regarding an attorney, it goes unheeded

Advice to Management

Listen more to the needs of support staff - they are on your side

"Best Place I Ever Worked"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

King & Spalding hired me in January 1996. After working there for a few months I realized that, if it were up to me, I would be there until I retired. The benefits are outstanding compared to other companies I had worked for. After 20 years, I retired at age 70 and never regretted any of the years I worked there.

Cons

Very strict on working off the clock

Advice to Management

None I can think of.

"Incredible Benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at King & Spalding full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best firm benefits I have seen. Besides great medical, dental and vision plans, they have an excellent prescription drug plan. They even have a healthcare advocate, Wellness programs, and cancer & critical illness plans. Their profit sharing plan is great. Also, they have wonderful child/elder care offerings. Couldn't ask for more.

Cons

Though I'm glad they have a vision plan, it is just average. I would be great is they had a plan that would pay for Lasik eye surgery.

"Paralegal"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at King & Spalding full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very professional, but friendly and positive work environment with good people. Have had positive experiences with management, with people going above and beyond to work out issues and answer questions. Reasonable policies and compensation.

Cons

There are very high expectations for quality of work product and availability, which can be stressful and lead to a lopsided work/life balance. However, this is the norm for similar positions, and compensation is commensurate.

8. "As a non-lawyer employee"

I have been working at King & Spalding full-time

Pros

Excellent growth opportunities in comp and responsibilities.

Cons

It's a law firm. A strong dose of politics and opinions.

9. "Great Big Law in Atlanta"

Current Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at King & Spalding full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For big law in Atlanta, K&S is the best. The firm works on interesting and important matters and the people at K&S are great. K&S does have a higher billable hours requirement than peer firms in the region, but I don't think the firm has a sweatshop mentality. People certainly work a lot, but overall, the atmosphere at the firm is a positive one. The benefits are also great - people can and do take their vacation time and the parental leave policies are fantastic.

Cons

As mentioned above, the hours are long. That being said, working with a good team and without the sweatshop mentality make it doable, even in the crazy months.

10. "16 Years of Rewarding Work"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at King & Spalding full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been with the firm for 16 years and had the privilege to see the firm's growth to an international law firm striving to be the Best of the Best. Their core values and dedication to excellence has made this a very rewarding experience in my career.
    As the firm's IT Manager for Technical Services and Audio Visual, our work supporting our Attorneys and Administration staff is very challenging but a great opportunity for diligent IT techs looking to advance their career.

Cons

Only for serious candidates looking to work hard and willing to embrace the firm's core values.

11. "Legal Practice Assistant"

Current Employee - Legal Practice Assistant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Legal Practice Assistant in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Training is incredible, excellent support system, wonderful incentive programs, very community oriented; Atlanta office has an onsite cafeteria that offers a variety of items as well as numerous restaurants within walking distance

Cons

It is a place of employment so there will always be some dissident people. Be prepared to pay for parking.