KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

King

Is this your company?

King

Add a Review

King Employee Reviews about "king"

Updated Jan 22, 2021

Found 65 of over 415 reviews

3.7
King President Humam Sakhnini
Humam Sakhnini
Pros
  • "All the great people that working at King(in 35 reviews)

• "Work life balance is also great, there is a lot of emphasis on focusing on delivery and people/team happiness(in 33 reviews)

• Cons
  • "King games are in steady decline as competitors snap up the growing casual puzzle audience who want better games(in 47 reviews)

• "Some studios have more benefits than others because are related to the location(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "king"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

King of employers

Apr 16, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great workplace environment, best I've ever experienced, it's awesome to be right downtown in Seattle. Insanely talented development team.

Cons

Timezone difference with centralized services can be a challenge. King leadership seems to be risk averse to a fault, making for a less diverse portfolio than the potential they have based on the talent.

Continue reading
      Be the first to find this review helpful
    2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great Company, needs more innovation

Feb 1, 2020 - Private
      Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome Benefits, great people, yearly company get togethers are memorable and productive

Cons

Since the acquisition, King has lost some of the innovative streak that marked my time there. I hope that will change.

3. 2.0
      Former Contractor, more than 1 year

Smaller Studios Beware

Jul 30, 2018 - Player Support in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

+ King provides decent benefits for employees, with quality office spaces & encourages each studio to have their own working personality + Consistently positive attitude & outlook about business growth

Cons

- Focused entirely on money generation and performance metrics. - Player engagement for the sake of numbers & advertising, not player fun and true community engagement. - Unwilling to experiment with game genres or mechanics if they are not guaranteed to generate revenue. - Entire studio marketing team was terminated instantly, without warning and rendering team unable to complete or properly pass off ongoing projects.

3 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0

Future is bright in North America

Feb 4, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Seems like King is really committed to investing in North America. New Senior leader of North American Games who sits in Seattle, seems genuinely interested in the people and what we are doing. We can finally see how the US ties into the rest of King. Also, it sounded like SF is going to grow a lot, excited to have more people in the US. -New games in Seattle -Good vibe -Great location -New teams in SF...we get updates from the studio heads in SF during a new North American call....which in itself is cool -Travel...we all get to go to Stockholm this summer!!!! -We have recently hired a bunch of new people, good to have more energy in Seattle.

Cons

Wish we had more day to day communication in Seattle. My team runs independently which is great, but sometimes it feels like separate studios since we are all so busy. Would be good to have clear studio goals that we can all understand. Saying we need to launch a game seems obvious, but is that really it? I saw the King goals at our CEO call but studio leadership has never spoken of them before or again. What happens when local leaders go to London...can you tell us why you go or what you learned.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee

Ads BU feels like a start-up - in a good way

Jan 17, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

King's Advertising business is a new, high-energy unit hosted within King (SF-NY-London), with plans to scale to Activision-Blizzard more broadly. Growth is high, hiring fast & accelerating, and there's a lot of breaking new grounds to it. It provides good careers prospects, that feeling of creating, and always doing something new. You don't get the painful political processes of a large empire, while being able to leverage their systems. And King's values are quite prevalent (from internal hires) and lived

Cons

There are definitely downsides to be a start-up within a larger company -- you need to invest more energy in shaping your role/market than you would in a comparable position elsewhere, and it can be a risky path too. Leadership is definitely aware of this and is doing a lot to keep people motivated

6. 5.0

Fun place to work

Mar 22, 2017 - Game Team in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Leadership has really paved the way for innovation on our next wave of titles. We have a lot of leeway to be creative and try things to create the next big thing for mobile. - Lunches and snacks are plentiful and the office location in Downtown Seattle is central and near a bunch of great stuff. - Leadership in the studio has given the game teams a lot of autonomy to build the games and features that they want. - We probably have the best culture and teamwork at the studio that we have had in years.

Cons

- Communication with central King Leadership is sometimes slow, which can hamper our ability to get stuff done quickly.

3 people found this review helpful

King Response

HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I will share it on with the local HR team for future reference. Best regards / King HR representative

7. 1.0
      Former Employee

Very Poor Communication/Organization

Nov 6, 2015 - QA Tester/CR Liaison in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

King is a great company, I can see that with the interactions that I have had with King HQ employees and how helpful those in different offices throughout the Kingdom were when I was building out a new position in our studio. Even though I had never met these people in other offices, they were friendly and went out of their way to answer my questions. Bucharest + Barcelona + Stockholm -- You guys are amazing. I loved my coworkers here, it was great to feel like a team. We did movie nights, happy hours. I played on the company soccer team, I made it out for a company football game. I had the opportunity to ask questions to my coworkers about their jobs so that I could get a feel for a direction I'd like to move for the long term. I saw a lot of growth potential and I was really excited about it. and my team. The 6 people I worked closest with each and every day. They became my family. We worked very hard, under pressure each and every day. Often we didn't have the tools we needed, but we made it work. The dynamic was amazing.

Cons

Poor communication, not a lot of guidance. A new position was needed in our office and I was moved into it in an effort to build it out/make it whole. I loved most of our CR team they were incredibly helpful, but I could see a lack of organization/communication there as well in their hierarchy. This was a new position. Leadership pretty much said hey, you're doing this so do it. No real guidance, no rules. Which was great. Until I tried making meetings that were continuously moved (priorities) and I fell in the cracks/was not set up for success. I had a huge presentation on this role w the Head of QA and was really excited about it, he was awesome. I got a call from the contract agency on a Thursday night (day before presentation) telling me that it was my last day at the company. I had no warning. No one had informed me that anything needed improvement. It was just the beginning and it wasn't a perfect process. I was never given any feedback on what could be better and the only thing needed clarification on had a meeting that Friday (after I was let go) to perfect/gain insight on how other leads wanted it done. The role was also to take things off of the plates of others, to communicate between departments. I went from nearly being converted to a full-time employee 2 weeks earlier, to not having a job at all. My supervisor and his supervisor had no idea that I was being let go. Which means someone higher up made the decision, someone that I suspect was very out of the loop which = poor communication.

11 people found this review helpful

King Response

Global Employer Brand

Thanks for your feedback and I’m sorry to hear about your experience. We’re committed to creating a great culture and environment for all Kingsters but you’re right, setting up a completely new team in a fast growing company can sometimes mean a few growing pains. Either way, we'll take your feedback onboard and look into if and how communication needs to be bettered. Best of luck in future endeavours! Kind regards / King HR representative

8. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Losing its crown to competitors

Jan 22, 2021 - Designer
      Business Outlook

Pros

King takes care of its employees, great benefits, great office spaces and events. Learning budget, training and many opportunities.

Cons

Very risk averse and slow. You won’t have ownership of your games. No one is really responsible or held accountable. King games are in steady decline as competitors snap up the growing casual puzzle audience who want better games.

5 people found this review helpful
    9. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

King has become a horrible place to work. 0 stars if the system would allow this

Jan 1, 2021 - Developer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Only pro is that there are still really talented and good professionals in the company but this has become a scarce trait. Used to have a great culture, not the case anymore. Would not recommend anymore to anyone.

Cons

Very bad leadeship decisions towards people as people are seen only as disposable assets, you’re good till you start voicing your opinions No real progression opportunities Always redoing what others from the industry have already tried out, no real innovation Inclusion is just a sad website moto as King only deals with the sex/gender part creating more discrepancies on this matter

11 people found this review helpful
    10. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Disapointing

Oct 8, 2020 - Senior Technical Animator (Central Art Team) in Barcelona
      Business Outlook

Pros

Get to work with talented Artits.

Cons

It was very messy in organising and managing combined with a blaming culture. Lots of politics and tribalism, combined with the constant flow of people being let go is making it a very inconfortable place to work. If you're in Barcelona, it's likely that you don't get to work so much for a game but spend lots of time filling R&D documents that main purpose is to allow the company to claim tax deductions. Some of the managers are experts in finding ways to justify their positions and pretending to be important, regularly creating waves out of thin air, starting and stopping empty initiatives, pushing people out and re-hirings etc. Some of the employees in Barcelona are very senior in their field but are still looked down by some managers in London, you get to hear them talking like Louis XVI while not knowing much, again.. the pretending is King.

6 people found this review helpful