KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

King

Is this your company?

King

Add a Review

King Employee Reviews about "studios"

Updated Aug 6, 2020

Found 11 of over 417 reviews

3.7
King President Humam Sakhnini
Humam Sakhnini
Pros
  • "All the great people that working at King(in 35 reviews)

• "Work life balance is also great, there is a lot of emphasis on focusing on delivery and people/team happiness(in 33 reviews)

• Cons
  • "King games are in steady decline as competitors snap up the growing casual puzzle audience who want better games(in 47 reviews)

• "Some studios have more benefits than others because are related to the location(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "studios"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 4.0

Future is bright in North America

Feb 4, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Seems like King is really committed to investing in North America. New Senior leader of North American Games who sits in Seattle, seems genuinely interested in the people and what we are doing. We can finally see how the US ties into the rest of King. Also, it sounded like SF is going to grow a lot, excited to have more people in the US. -New games in Seattle -Good vibe -Great location -New teams in SF...we get updates from the studio heads in SF during a new North American call....which in itself is cool -Travel...we all get to go to Stockholm this summer!!!! -We have recently hired a bunch of new people, good to have more energy in Seattle.

Cons

Wish we had more day to day communication in Seattle. My team runs independently which is great, but sometimes it feels like separate studios since we are all so busy. Would be good to have clear studio goals that we can all understand. Saying we need to launch a game seems obvious, but is that really it? I saw the King goals at our CEO call but studio leadership has never spoken of them before or again. What happens when local leaders go to London...can you tell us why you go or what you learned.

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

They talk the talk, but fail to walk the walk

Aug 6, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Nice perks and benefits

Cons

- A once exciting and vibrant company feels like it doesn't quite know where it's going and how to compete with ever-growing competition. There's a definite sense of panic in the company which is impacting how they make decisions - Lack of risk-taking and innovation. King is not a games company, it's a Candy Crush maintenance machine. Not many exciting prospects for projects in London - Stopped listening to their employees on a lot of issues - they don't really seem to care what the people within the teams actually have to say anymore - Over the last few years can really see the more corporate influence of Activision on decisions made - cost cutting exercises without consideration of employees or product quality - People are lovely but many in the game studios are young and inexperienced and can be very entitled - Unprofessional behaviour - confidential info is regularly leaked. Level of gossip is like being back at school - Lack of real leadership - for a company at this scale they should know how to do things by now, but they often fail at very basic production methods to prioritise work - Constantly talk about intention to take risks and empower teams, but all I see as time has passed is the opposite happen - playing it too safe, and becoming a more top-down decision making company

17 people found this review helpful
    3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work, but lack of purpose

Aug 9, 2019 - Senior Software Engineer in Barcelona
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Awesome perks and work conditions - Incredible team of great and skilled professionals - Parties every year, summer and winter and a the Kingfomarket - A lot of space to learn and innovate (Innovation days, Hack days, budget for trainings, online courses, conferences...) - Culture and values are the best I've ever seen in a company.

Cons

- Barcelona tech department has become a death march department, with all the teams working on a project with no clear purpose or value. We work totally disconnected from the game studios, and Candy studios have all the real power in the company. Also, the change in the direction since Activision took over the control of the company feels like we're on a completely different company. A lot of talent is leaving the company lately, bored of doing projects without purpose and changes in priorities. - Work life balance is just not enough. They're not flexible with people's needs and just allowing to enter from 8:00 to 10:00 is not enough. Allow working remotely, free afternoons, or even summer special time. People can't spend the whole day at work. - Senior management is too unexperienced, usually overwhelmed by pressure or loosing control of the situation too easily.

5 people found this review helpful
    4. 2.0

Disappointing

Sep 1, 2019 - Graphic Designer in Barcelona
      Business Outlook

Pros

Had the best 3 years of my life in this company, moved to BCN to work at King, and i think that what this company did for me, no other would - all the aspects of my life were taken care off and i never had one complain. The first one year and half was a dream job, the company was growing and my i can honestly say i had the best team one can have. Even tho i was in a foreigner country, in a new company, i never felt so much at home. I was proud to say i worked at King and Mondays were something i expected more than the Weekend.

Cons

Tech companies change quickly, which in my opinion needs to be done - adapt or die right? As soon as the company objectives change, and instead of growth, King switched to maintain the live titles, everything went south. Many studios closed, people were fired in masses. And more recently all my team was fired with no noticed whatsoever. The values that King so much preaches, were broken like they meant nothing. Very Disappointing! Upper Leadership should be ashamed of themselves!

14 people found this review helpful
    5. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Used to be the best company to work for... but nothing lasts forever

Apr 16, 2020 - Software Developer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work culture creating a fun environment to work in. Lots of talented employees, in particular those recruited in the heyday of the company (2023-2015). Truly cross-functional game teams and studios. Strong bound between European studios. Used to be a company where everything was possible and where management aspired to be a “best company to work for” alongside the likes of Google and Facebook... but nothing lasts forever... — 5 stars until 2015 then downhill from there —

Cons

As the company grew and grew and grew the culture started getting diluted. Bad hires were made as team leaders tried to build bigger and bigger teams and the hiring standards dropped. The middle management layer exploded in size filled with political people and yes men. The top management started getting disconnected from the people doing the actual work and seemed to develop a form of pride that blindsided them from recognising that their strategy was flawed and prevented them from leveraging the collective intelligence of the organisation. The centralisation of the creative and innovation strategy in Stockholm destroyed innovation, with the company trying to build what it knew worked with Candy Crush again and again and again. In the meantime great concepts coming from the studios were repeatedly cancelled. Career progression became a political game or required to be attached to Candy Crush to benefit from the all-powerful halo effect of the app’s success. Finally pay was significantly below market (unless you could be on a good equity deal) and some new comers would often get a better deal than older employees. Nowadays the company is littered with a myriad of VPs of X and VPs of Y waiting to vest their equity. What a pity King... you had it all and you let it go away.

16 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great company

Feb 18, 2020 - Animator in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company with great values. The best place to work if you want a great balance in your personal life.

Cons

Some studios have more benefits than others because are related to the location.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    7. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Creepily sexist - ambitious women need not apply

Feb 9, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Stockholm, Stockholm, Stockholm
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing perks, snacks and offices Nice people Before the acquisition, lots of social events and parties

Cons

Within the game studios, business departments and tech there are absolutely no career advancement opportunities for women. And the creepy part is they know from their own data how bad it really is. Promotions being heavily awarded to men, no women within the top 3 levels of leadership at this company, vague promises being made to 'solve these issues' with no results. I would highly recommend that women ask questions during their interviews regarding demographics/percentage of women in leadership roles to understand what they are getting into. But as someone who has worked here for over 3 years, I would just save you the time and say that you can definitely do better!

15 people found this review helpful

King Response

HR

Hi, I’m sorry to hear about your experiences. We agree with you that the games industry needs to take great strides to ensure gender equality, diversity and inclusion. This is something we at King are taking incredibly seriously, and will continue to focus on. Last year, we made progress as a business with the launch of a new Diversity & Inclusion strategy; a new parental leave package; as well as kicking off another 40+ initiatives globally. Although we recognize that there’s always more to be done to progress diversity & inclusion initiatives, it’s also important to acknowledge progress already made. We are proud that our workforce represents over 70 different nationalities, and that we have a 28% female employee ratio. Both of these points improved during 2016 when, the games industry standard for female employees is only 19% (according to UKIE 2016). We’re the first to admit that this is a hard job, but we do not agree that women at King are at a disadvantage when it comes to promotions. We continue to appreciate additional feedback from our employees. Normally the D&I Steering Committee, through myself, reaches out to networks and other groups to get feedback, so please feel free to reach out to me or our networks for further discussions. /Natalie M. King representative

8. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Developer - London studio, Live Games

Dec 13, 2017 - Software Developer in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Most of the developers are really good and have a passion for games Nice parties Gym in the office

Cons

1) Most of the promotions are done based on how much you talk, and how pushy/arrogant you are.If you talk with a lot of confidence and arrogance, you have chances of being seen very competent and very smart, there is no room for good hard working competent people. It also helps if you make a lot of drama along with being arrogant !!! 2) Lots of good developers are leaving the studio and nobody seems to care too much about it, even if upper management wants to increase some teams again! 3) No build configuration engineer, even if all other studios have one and there was supposed to be one "in hiring" process for like 1 year at least 4) Low sad mood in the teams, especially among developers, who seemed very demotivated, stand ups are like funerals. 5) Low salaries compared to the market 6) Producers screaming at developers during meetings , even if they are not technical, they have 0 ideas what they are talking about and they have 0 contribution or positive impact on the game 8) Poor tools and poor infrastructure which increase frustration every day 9) There are no consequences for poor performers

18 people found this review helpful
    9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Software Engineer

Apr 8, 2018 - Software Developer in Barcelona
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Nice coworkers - Good benefits (breakfast, gym, health assurance, ticket restaurant) to compensate the base salary - Good computer and phone (without a phone plan) - Some teams are not stressful

Cons

- Bad management since was adquiered by Activision - Don't give shares or stock options to new joiners - Small % bonus for new joiners - Lack of new ideas, it turns all around Candy - Hard to promote, it’s all about “friends” - Increase of 1-2% of salary per year - Remote job is not allowed - There is not early finish on Fridays or during summer months - Extra hours are not paid, but you usually don't do - Some studio has not anymore the benefits of allow secondments in other studios. - Some teams are only focus in maintenance, so be caution in case do you think you are going to develop new games. - After relocate a lot of people now the teams are full, so is harder to move between studios.

15 people found this review helpful
    10. 4.0

On the up

Jun 4, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working with great people, at a great company. Benefits and salary also good. London studio is busy, many projects just starting up.

Cons

Lack of creatively interesting and boundary pushing projects being developed at London , unlike other king studios. That said still challenging and busy.

1 person found this review helpful

King Response

HR

Thank you for sharing! And we'll take your feedback onboard!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 11 Reviews