Kingsborough Community College College Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 3, 2019

4.5
Kingsborough Community College CEO Peter Cohen
Peter Cohen
  1. "It was nice while it lasted."

I worked at Kingsborough Community College part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The amount of work experience i Gained working there is what helped me get my dream job. ive met so much people working there and made so much friends

Cons

A dead end job no raises or chance to advance.

Advice to Management

Treat your hard working employees with respect.

Kingsborough Community College2019-10-04
  2. "Good Learning Opportunity to Gain Experience"

I worked at Kingsborough Community College part-time for more than a year

Pros

A good sized institution where you can see both familiar and new faculty, staff, and student faces.

Cons

No room to move up, it is also deep in Brooklyn which can either be a negative or a positive.

Kingsborough Community College2019-09-06
  3. "Great place to work"

I worked at Kingsborough Community College part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to work at.

Cons

Very little opportunities to move up.

Advice to Management

College Assistant's do much more work than most Non-teaching adjuncts for a fraction of the price.

Kingsborough Community College2019-06-24
  4. "You will generally do clerical tasks such as answering phones, filing, etc."

Current Employee - College Assistant in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Kingsborough Community College part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Easy work, flexible hours, medical benefits, education reimbursement, not always busy so you may have time to do personal things such as studying for school.

Cons

Very difficult to advance into full-time position without a bachelor's or master's degree. To become full-time you must take an exam that is administered every two-three years and even once you take it, they may not hold the hiring pool for another year or more. For full-time positions that require a bachelor's degree or higher, the position is usually already filled; they are just posting the title for the... formalities. Pay is very close to minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Make an effort to keep the good part-time employees -they are few and far in between. Don't be so resistant to change. Be more professional with the students and each other.

Kingsborough Community College2017-07-20
  5. "College Assitant"

Current Employee - College Assistant in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Kingsborough Community College part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Its a beautiful campus and there are lots of opportunities to study many subjects. As well as meeting people from many cultures.

Cons

As with all work environment there are people and office drama that gets in the way of work. Reluctance of the old workers trying a new way of doing things, making the all overall office functioning my effective.

Advice to Management

Look closer at your part time staff that show and do their assignments, with such drive and commitment to excellence. The often go above and beyond with no recognition for what we do for the office and college as a whole.

Kingsborough Community College2015-10-22
  6. "College Assistant"

I have been working at Kingsborough Community College part-time

Pros

I have a good schedule and I really like the students.

Cons

The campus is to far and the department that I work for is short staff.

Advice to Management

Think about students more in terms of changes in policies. Things are constantly changing and students are constantly being tossed around. Please also think about lower level employees more they deserve better treatment.

Kingsborough Community College2015-10-07
  7. "College Assistant"

College Assistant in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Kingsborough Community College

Pros

Very positive experience with an understanding management. Weekly schedule was extremely flexible and allowed me to handle full time college at the same time.

Cons

Work can be repetitive and unrewarding at times. There are relatively few opportunities to grow and develop a long lasting career within the system. Salary is on the low end.

Kingsborough Community College2015-09-15
  8. "Great Job, Great Location"

Current Employee - College Assistant in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Kingsborough Community College part-time for less than a year

Pros

The location is the best part of this job. The campus is huge very modern and beautifully designed. This campus is very diverse. With a beach and aquarium on campus you cannot complain. The summers are beautiful and the best part of the job. Great way to work and go to school at the same time.

Cons

The starting salary is low and will not increase until 24 month period. Takes a minimum of one month before eligibility to join the union. Part time position only, not allowed to work more than 20 hrs per week.

Kingsborough Community College2015-01-24