Kingston Technology Reviews | Glassdoor

Kingston Technology Co-Founder and CEO John Tu
John Tu

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Certain departments were like friendships when it comes to critical decisions (in 3 reviews)

• No room for career growth anymore unless you are related to "family" (in 3 reviews)

"Awesome company to work for"

I worked at Kingston Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Bonus Program
    Friendly People
    Pay is Moderate
    Really the best part is Working directly with the best owner in the world John Tu.

Cons

No room to grow seniority will over take any kind of qualification or experience. Some Managers have been managers for many years by default NO real manager qualification or experience.

Advice to Management

Please consider experience over seniority. Be open minded a lot of managers I knew were afraid of change and completely shut down when new suggestions were presented. Properly get trained to bring the best out of each of your employees not only demand and ignore your employees talents.

"Learn a lot; work a lot; curse a lot."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fountain Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fountain Valley, CA

I have been working at Kingston Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People generally take their work seriously which means you can expect work to be finished, and deadlines to be met. The benefits are fairly generous. The owners care a lot about the health of the company which translates into a stable job as long as you’re productive; strong job security.

Cons

Sometimes workload is extreme. Leaving early when work is finished for the day is heavily frowned on. Sometimes you cannot take time off if you’re sick because of the heavy workload. Quarterly bonuses used to justify lower base pay. Certain departments are reluctant to hire additional people to spread workload.

Advice to Management

Stop loading multiple people’s worth of work onto a single person. This is way too common here. Certain departments need to have their excesses cut back while other (deprived) departments could use some morale boosters. Some managers bully their departments too often. Nepotism runs heavy in some departments. Some workers are way overpaid and others are way underpaid.

"One of the best"

Former Employee - Business Development in Fountain Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development in Fountain Valley, CA

I worked at Kingston Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good people on all ends
    - Friendly culture
    - Always something to do - work and personal
    - Outstanding benefits packages
    - Many paths of career opportunities if you look for them
    - Located in beautiful southern California

Cons

- Most employees have been there for over 10 years, which can be intimidating for new hires
    - Not sure if the 10+ year technology outlook is in the company's favor
    - Career growth potential is strategic and slow
    - Located in expensive southern California

Advice to Management

You're doing just fine, really. Keep eyes open for more rapid changes across the market and industry so you don't get swept under, though!

Aug 9, 2017 – HR Manager

Thanks for the terrific and thoughtful comments! We appreciate your taking the time to give your perspective!

"Marketing"

Current Employee - Marketing in Fountain Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Fountain Valley, CA

I have been working at Kingston Technology (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people
    Very comfortable work environment

Cons

Hard to get hired full time (salaried.)

Aug 9, 2017 – HR Manager

We appreciate your comments! Thanks!

"The Right Direction"

Current Employee - Sales in Fountain Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Fountain Valley, CA

I have been working at Kingston Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am fairly new to the company but really liking it so far. It seems the company is trying to adapt to the future. Seems our opinions as employees matter and they want us to enjoy working at the company.

Overall I feel very happy to work here.

Cons

I only give these cons to better the company. If anyone is reading this and is considering a job at Kingston should know the pros out weigh the cons by 10000. This is one special place and I feel so lucky to work here.

I worry about my career progression. I get that it is a flat structure but I see no “new/younger” people in higher roles that matter. Not that I expect to see someone right out of college running things, but I see no one new to the company/mid in their career at a manager/director role. Makes me think there is no real way to get ahead unless I know someone/work there for a very long time. Sometimes fresh minds in these roles are needed if you want change.

HyperX is strange. They are part of Kingston? They aren't? I feel what I know about the Kingston culture does not carry over into HyperX. Granted, I have only interacted with them a few times, but I had a hard time believing they worked for the same company. Not humble, not welcoming. One of the saddest experiences I had was when I first met some of the HyperX team.

The people that have worked at the company for a long time are hit and miss. Some are very helpful and want to help the new people, while others seem grumpy and act like everything is easy to understand.

Advice to Management

Show examples of how people progress in their career at Kingston. Would love to hear stories about how people moved up or moved around . I hope to see it is hard work that puts you at a manager or director level, not just working at the company a longtime or who you know.

Make HyperX more accessible to everyone. I game and so do many of my co-workers. We would love the opportunity to talk/hangout with the HyperX people. Right now it is awkward and feels like they don't care about anyone outside of HyperX.

Jun 6, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for your thoughtful comments about your experience at Kingston. We do take your feedback to heart and appreciate hearing your perspective. Regarding career opportunities, vertical growth is... More

"A wonderful chapter of my life."

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Fountain Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Fountain Valley, CA

I worked at Kingston Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Dedication, honesty and compassion for the company and others is acknowledged. Advancement is based on performance and not seniority. They reward employees performance with quarterly bonuses.

Cons

After 16 years of employment, I do not have any cons to provide. Every issue I had was addressed appropriately and efficiently.

Advice to Management

Don't loose the Family / team connection with your employees.

May 12, 2017 – HR Manager

So glad to hear about your positive experiences. Thank you for sharing.

7. "Great Place to Work"

I worked at Kingston Technology full-time

Pros

Fantastic company values with a fun, collaborative work environment! Benefits are some of the best out there.

Cons

Can't think of any cons.

"Very political with poor management"

I have been working at Kingston Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Health/medical benefits are excellent. Many great people to work with.

Some recent efforts to create unity are appreciated. There have been a lot of happy hours and such for the younger employees. Seems as if the company is trying to attract a younger demographic.

Cons

Promotions and opportunities are given based on familial relationships and or politics. Other than the owners, current upper management are under qualified and have questionable character. If you can go with the flow and not make waves, you are more likely to be promoted. However, it comes with the cost of losing your own integrity as company culture dictates to follow and listen to your manager, regardless of whether it is right or wrong. The direction the company has been going on the past 5 years have been concerning to a majority of the employees.

US sales management and VP are mostly unqualified and unethical. When a team is lead by management that is unethical and dishonest, the flock will follow in the same manner. Everyone has come to the conclusion the company will do nothing about it. Morale has been the lowest I have seen it, but we all need our jobs.

HyperX division is extremely unorganized.

Advice to Management

Review and audit your management. Allow employees to give anonymous reviews of their managers and the company. Everyone is afraid to speak up due fear they will eventually be fired.

Apr 13, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate that you acknowledge positive aspects of working here. We encourage you to come to human resources to talk to us about your specific concerns about the... More

"Fast paced company"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Fountain Valley, Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Fountain Valley, Orange, CA

I have been working at Kingston Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you want to learn a lot and be in a fast paced company, then Kingston is the perfect place for it. It's owners are amazing, they care about business as much as for their employees. Friendly environment and great work/life balance and stability. Empowerment is a great strength and that allows everyone to play an important part on the business. Company maintains global leadership.

Cons

Limited career or growth plan. Flat structure. Some lack of processes and formal direction may be frustrating for some. People stays there for a long time in same positions and some are very resistant to change and to implement new ideas. The spirit of camaraderie seems to be more important than being a high performer.

Advice to Management

As a Leading Global company, needs to formalize career programs for employees. Have people rotate between Business units. Take internal talent into consideration first for new internal opportunities specially because they are limited.

Feb 5, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for your praise, criticisms and advice. We take your comments to heart as we strive to improve the employee experience for everyone. Many positions are posted internally on the HR Info... More

"Great company"

I have been working at Kingston Technology full-time

Pros

Great benefits, great people to work with.

Cons

Training process needs some improvements.

Nov 18, 2016 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback!