Kinnser Software Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Kinnser Software President & Founder Christopher Hester
Christopher Hester

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They made coming to work a joy, and I really feel as though I had a family while I was working there (in 8 reviews)

• It is a great place for career development (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • For as much work as Tech Support does, they deserve a lot more respect throughout the other departments (in 4 reviews)

• Insecurity in job security, leadership, direction (in 3 reviews)

1. "Nice place to work with good benefits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Kinnser Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun-loving CEO and really awesome music poster decor around the office. In general, most of the employees are super nice.

Cons

It seemed like there was sometimes no cohesion between some of the departments which caused some stress and tension in meetings.

"From start up to corporate company"

Current Employee - Management in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Management in Austin, TX

I have been working at Kinnser Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Kinnser's a fast pace and growing company.

Cons

Being sold twice over and squeezing employees expenses and compensation to increase profits is the direct opposite of what they used to stand for.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employee's needs and treat them with respect.

"Coding & OASIS Review Nurse"

Current Employee - Coding and OASIS Review Nurse
    Current Employee - Coding and OASIS Review Nurse

I have been working at Kinnser Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Education provided for nurses with little to no experience.

Cons

No sense of loyalty or job security. If questions are brought to management, passive-aggressive repercussions ensue. The all mighty dollar is king. Quantity is valued over quality. There has been a vast influx of new employees who are not trained the same way long term employees were, and there are no resources indicating which training is correct. Coding department management does not have their employees best interests at heart. Constant restructuring is indicative of the lack of direction and inconsistency this department has been plagued with for the past 18+ months.

Advice to Management

Be loyal to long term employees. Don't sell out to the highest bidder. Be consistent. Stop throwing employees under the bus. Eventually that will catch up to you. Do not put people with little to no experience in a position of authority over experts in their field. Stop micromanaging. These are professionals, not preschoolers.

4. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Kinnser Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All departments work together to drive sales

Cons

none at this time great culture

Advice to Management

keep doing what you are doing

"Struggling with our direction."

Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at Kinnser Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management is asking employees to review on Glassdoor to raise their rating. I am happy to oblige. Office is beautiful in a good location. Lots of great people here.

Cons

When I started work at Kinnser 3 years ago the CEO had an almost 90% approval rating and they had just shy of 5 stars on Glassdoor. As you can see that has changed and should probably be lower if not for the desperate call for good reviews by current employees.

The culture has completely deteriorated. Kinnser is shutting down spending on development and innovation as the VC gets ready to sell the business off. It has made things difficult for everyone. About 80% of upper management has been let go in the last 8 months. It felt like the CEO was surprised by how adversely it affected everyone. And then proceeded to tell us we shouldn't feel that way.

It is really too bad. The people affected the worst by this are our customers who have to deal with a vendor instead of a partner and the promise of innovation that looks to not be coming under the current regime.

Advice to Management

You have been trying to transition to become a big company. You are spending tons of time and money cataloging everyone's responsibilities and tasks so you can serve up your business in a box to the highest bidder. You should be spending that money on your products and innovation and trying to operate like a small company. We have lost our culture of doing whatever it takes to be the best and getting lost in the process and rules. The money will come if you just focus on the basics of doing the right thing by your customers and employees.

"Glad I got out when I did. The writing was on the wall years ago."

Pros

Nice office, fun and smart people, great overall objective.

Cons

Office cliques dictate personal success, shortsighted management more interested in punitive actions than team-building, ageism and personal affiliation override fair and honest decision-making. Company departments are split into the haves and have-nots, so some are given great benefits and leisure time with coworkers while others are worked like slaves and receive very little of the social benefits (lunches, off-campus employee events, etc) that other departments enjoy. Young managers far too inexperienced to effectively manage large numbers of staff without melting down. Older employees often treated with disdain and not offered equal opportunity for growth while friends of friends quickly shoot up through the ranks. Company sold out to venture capital and the deterioration of work conditions was quick to follow. A business story repeated a million times yet the outcome always remains the same.

Advice to Management

If you're going to put perspective employees through giant feats in order to be hired, then work harder to retain them. Do what you have to do in order to treat ALL your employees fairly - not just the hip and fun A-listers.

"A Great Place to Start Off"

Former Employee - Tech Support Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Tech Support Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Kinnser Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked in Tech Support and really enjoyed it, mostly because of my peers and management around our department. They made coming to work a joy, and I really feel as though I had a family while I was working there.

Communication within Support was pretty great, and the morale was wonderful up until about a month and a half/two months before I left.

LOTS of free snacks and sometimes free food, which is always great and very appreciated, especially if you're a stress eater, like me!

Also, this company goes out of it's way to try to help you out if you need it. That is extremely important. As stressed out as I was here, I always felt like I could go to at least one of my supervisors or managers regarding concerns or any issues I was experiencing.

Cons

For as much work as Tech Support does, they deserve a lot more respect throughout the other departments. My coworkers and I continually felt as through tech support was not taken seriously, even though we not only spoke with the customers using the software every day, but we were also navigating the software on a daily basis. Support is a department where customers essentially call to yell at you because either 1) something isn't working OR 2) the user does not know the proper workflow. We become used to being talked down to, having our intelligence questioned, and sometimes we are even threatened, even though we're trying to make the user's experience with the software not only more fulfilling, but also more user-friendly. Considering this, I think Support should be included in more company decisions as far as where the product is heading, since we are hearing exactly what the customer wants/doesn't want.

Communication throughout departments definitely needs work, especially with all of the new managerial changes. It is naive to think that a company can let go of 3 employees in powerful positions in one week without making the remaining employees frightened for their own job security. "Brown Bag Lunches" are now being held by the CEO for employees who opt to attend as a way to confront any looming fears and doubts regarding the company, but I'm not alone when I say that many of the answers to the questions feel a bit vague and mysterious.

Advice to Management

Respect for all employees and solid communication throughout the company can work wonders on morale. Focus on that. I know of at least a dozen employees who were and are terrified of losing their jobs because they still don't know why there were so many changes to upper management. This will cause more people to start looking elsewhere for a more secure position.

"A Growing Company That Benefits Employees and the Industry"

Pros

I have been with Kinnser for quite some time. This company has grown and evolved in ways I never considered when I first started. At its core, Kinnser has done a great job keeping in line with its mission to improve the quality and delivery of healthcare. You can tell that the CEO is still very passionate about this mission, and it is reflected in his interactions with agencies and employees.

Kinnser is still growing like crazy, and with that comes change. Change isn’t easy. With change you discover who is “in it to win it” and who is worth keeping around. Most employees here hold themselves to a high standard and want to do what is best for the company and our agencies. The individuals that don’t will find that they will not fit in well here.

It is a great place for career development. I have held numerous positions here, some of which were promotions that challenged me to take on additional responsibilities and extend myself into realms outside of my comfort which proved to be catalysts for significant professional growth for me personally. I have also seen numerous people around me grow within the company. Kinnser recognizes talented, intelligent, hard-working contributors and will support such employees in honing those skills. The company invests in their employees whenever possible.

HR also offers many great programs and resources. There are workout boot camps held onsite, wellness/fitness education programs, volunteer opportunities (with paid volunteer time off), and fun competitions within the office (e.g., table tennis and trivia tournaments).

Cons

Interdepartmental communication could improve (I don’t know that that is a Kinnser-specific issue though--more of a growing pain). As I’ve stated, we’ve grown tremendously (in company size, customer numbers, and annual revenue), and people who are new to their roles have a learning curve that comes with that.

Advice to Management

With the amount of people being promoted within the company, additional training with the new roles and responsibilities would be helpful. If someone is new to a management role, a management training course would be ideal. The people promoted proved their ability to do their job well; if they can be trained on how to share and teach those same skills, overall success and satisfaction should improve.

"Kinnser changed my life!"

Former Employee - Product Owner in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Product Owner in Austin, TX

I worked at Kinnser Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pros at Kinnser truly make it a unique place to work. Management does an exceptional job of hiring great people. There are many talented and great people at Kinnser that make coming to work very enjoyable. Kinnser takes care of their employees. So many employees at Kinnser have been promoted from various departments (I'm proof!). They have a knack of hiring managers that get the best of their employees and providing them a platform to prove their talent and potential. The benefits, compensation are decent and the incentives are excellent. I can't express enough how much I've enjoyed my time at Kinnser, working there truly changed my life for the best.

Cons

The commuincation at Kinnser could be improved. Sometimes decisions are made and teams are notified last minute. Overall there aren't many cons which is why many employees have been there for years.

Advice to Management

Improve communication and be transparent. Employees appreciate information!

"High hopes + low morale an ever growing experience at Kinnser"

I have been working at Kinnser Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with the company for almost two years now. When I first began I was stoked to work for a great company, recognized by multiple prestigious sources as a great place to work in Austin. Free food company events and incentives outside of the usual grind to clock in and out everyday.

Cons

People keep saying 'growing pains' and its more than that. Kinnser has lost itself, its culture, and most importantly the security every employee should feel going into their job day to day. Too many shady management changes, people who have been with us for years gone the next day. New management seems to be apart of the good ole' boys hiring people they know rather then making conscious decisions to take on those with experience. Overall the morale of this place has more than plummeted. I am sad to say inter departmental as well as team communication is more than lacking with much more goodbye emails then hellos. Huge difference in pay and overall accountability across departments... development feels beaten, Tech support feels like the down trodden red headed step child, yet our sales team is rampant with energy to continue to push. Overall displeasure and no real hope to discuss any of this with your manager or repercussions will surely be had despite any open door policy.

Advice to Management

Focus on what we do best. Kinnser has been at the forefront of this industry for years, cut out the constant changes or at least attempt to speak to them. Show your employees they matter it will make a huge difference! Leave the bs'ing and shady dealings for home...no one is being fooled.