Kinnser Software 72 Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kinnser Software President & Founder Christopher Hester
Christopher Hester

Pros
  • They made coming to work a joy, and I really feel as though I had a family while I was working there (in 8 reviews)

• It is a great place for career development (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • For as much work as Tech Support does, they deserve a lot more respect throughout the other departments (in 4 reviews)

• The company has recently gone through management changes (in 3 reviews)

"Glad I got out when I did. The writing was on the wall years ago."

Pros

Nice office, fun and smart people, great overall objective.

Cons

Office cliques dictate personal success, shortsighted management more interested in punitive actions than team-building, ageism and personal affiliation override fair and honest decision-making. Company departments are split into the haves and have-nots, so some are given great benefits and leisure time with coworkers while others are worked like slaves and receive very little of the social benefits (lunches, off-campus employee events, etc) that other departments enjoy. Young managers far too inexperienced to effectively manage large numbers of staff without melting down. Older employees often treated with disdain and not offered equal opportunity for growth while friends of friends quickly shoot up through the ranks. Company sold out to venture capital and the deterioration of work conditions was quick to follow. A business story repeated a million times yet the outcome always remains the same.

Advice to Management

If you're going to put perspective employees through giant feats in order to be hired, then work harder to retain them. Do what you have to do in order to treat ALL your employees fairly - not just the hip and fun A-listers.

"Struggling with our direction."

Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at Kinnser Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management is asking employees to review on Glassdoor to raise their rating. I am happy to oblige. Office is beautiful in a good location. Lots of great people here.

Cons

When I started work at Kinnser 3 years ago the CEO had an almost 90% approval rating and they had just shy of 5 stars on Glassdoor. As you can see that has changed and should probably be lower if not for the desperate call for good reviews by current employees.

The culture has completely deteriorated. Kinnser is shutting down spending on development and innovation as the VC gets ready to sell the business off. It has made things difficult for everyone. About 80% of upper management has been let go in the last 8 months. It felt like the CEO was surprised by how adversely it affected everyone. And then proceeded to tell us we shouldn't feel that way.

It is really too bad. The people affected the worst by this are our customers who have to deal with a vendor instead of a partner and the promise of innovation that looks to not be coming under the current regime.

Advice to Management

You have been trying to transition to become a big company. You are spending tons of time and money cataloging everyone's responsibilities and tasks so you can serve up your business in a box to the highest bidder. You should be spending that money on your products and innovation and trying to operate like a small company. We have lost our culture of doing whatever it takes to be the best and getting lost in the process and rules. The money will come if you just focus on the basics of doing the right thing by your customers and employees.

"Designers Beware."

I worked at Kinnser Software full-time

Pros

This is a very stable company, it has been around for 12 years. Has some good benefits, good parking, friendly people and somewhat centrally located.

Cons

Very slow on innovation when it comes to technology, work process, and benefits. This is a very old fashioned tech business that seems to value process over product. Kinnser has existed for 12 years and have struggled to keep a designer on board, so needles to say the entire product has been built by developers, without a dedicated front-end dev. I have heard a long time employee say "this is where designers come to die" - not too encouraging if you are a designer trying to get adjusted.

"A Great Place to Start Off"

Former Employee - Tech Support Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Tech Support Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Kinnser Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked in Tech Support and really enjoyed it, mostly because of my peers and management around our department. They made coming to work a joy, and I really feel as though I had a family while I was working there.

Communication within Support was pretty great, and the morale was wonderful up until about a month and a half/two months before I left.

LOTS of free snacks and sometimes free food, which is always great and very appreciated, especially if you're a stress eater, like me!

Also, this company goes out of it's way to try to help you out if you need it. That is extremely important. As stressed out as I was here, I always felt like I could go to at least one of my supervisors or managers regarding concerns or any issues I was experiencing.

Cons

For as much work as Tech Support does, they deserve a lot more respect throughout the other departments. My coworkers and I continually felt as through tech support was not taken seriously, even though we not only spoke with the customers using the software every day, but we were also navigating the software on a daily basis. Support is a department where customers essentially call to yell at you because either 1) something isn't working OR 2) the user does not know the proper workflow. We become used to being talked down to, having our intelligence questioned, and sometimes we are even threatened, even though we're trying to make the user's experience with the software not only more fulfilling, but also more user-friendly. Considering this, I think Support should be included in more company decisions as far as where the product is heading, since we are hearing exactly what the customer wants/doesn't want.

Communication throughout departments definitely needs work, especially with all of the new managerial changes. It is naive to think that a company can let go of 3 employees in powerful positions in one week without making the remaining employees frightened for their own job security. "Brown Bag Lunches" are now being held by the CEO for employees who opt to attend as a way to confront any looming fears and doubts regarding the company, but I'm not alone when I say that many of the answers to the questions feel a bit vague and mysterious.

Advice to Management

Respect for all employees and solid communication throughout the company can work wonders on morale. Focus on that. I know of at least a dozen employees who were and are terrified of losing their jobs because they still don't know why there were so many changes to upper management. This will cause more people to start looking elsewhere for a more secure position.

"A Growing Company That Benefits Employees and the Industry"

Pros

I have been with Kinnser for quite some time. This company has grown and evolved in ways I never considered when I first started. At its core, Kinnser has done a great job keeping in line with its mission to improve the quality and delivery of healthcare. You can tell that the CEO is still very passionate about this mission, and it is reflected in his interactions with agencies and employees.

Kinnser is still growing like crazy, and with that comes change. Change isn’t easy. With change you discover who is “in it to win it” and who is worth keeping around. Most employees here hold themselves to a high standard and want to do what is best for the company and our agencies. The individuals that don’t will find that they will not fit in well here.

It is a great place for career development. I have held numerous positions here, some of which were promotions that challenged me to take on additional responsibilities and extend myself into realms outside of my comfort which proved to be catalysts for significant professional growth for me personally. I have also seen numerous people around me grow within the company. Kinnser recognizes talented, intelligent, hard-working contributors and will support such employees in honing those skills. The company invests in their employees whenever possible.

HR also offers many great programs and resources. There are workout boot camps held onsite, wellness/fitness education programs, volunteer opportunities (with paid volunteer time off), and fun competitions within the office (e.g., table tennis and trivia tournaments).

Cons

Interdepartmental communication could improve (I don’t know that that is a Kinnser-specific issue though--more of a growing pain). As I’ve stated, we’ve grown tremendously (in company size, customer numbers, and annual revenue), and people who are new to their roles have a learning curve that comes with that.

Advice to Management

With the amount of people being promoted within the company, additional training with the new roles and responsibilities would be helpful. If someone is new to a management role, a management training course would be ideal. The people promoted proved their ability to do their job well; if they can be trained on how to share and teach those same skills, overall success and satisfaction should improve.

"Kinnser changed my life!"

Former Employee - Product Owner in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Product Owner in Austin, TX

I worked at Kinnser Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pros at Kinnser truly make it a unique place to work. Management does an exceptional job of hiring great people. There are many talented and great people at Kinnser that make coming to work very enjoyable. Kinnser takes care of their employees. So many employees at Kinnser have been promoted from various departments (I'm proof!). They have a knack of hiring managers that get the best of their employees and providing them a platform to prove their talent and potential. The benefits, compensation are decent and the incentives are excellent. I can't express enough how much I've enjoyed my time at Kinnser, working there truly changed my life for the best.

Cons

The commuincation at Kinnser could be improved. Sometimes decisions are made and teams are notified last minute. Overall there aren't many cons which is why many employees have been there for years.

Advice to Management

Improve communication and be transparent. Employees appreciate information!

"High hopes + low morale an ever growing experience at Kinnser"

I have been working at Kinnser Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with the company for almost two years now. When I first began I was stoked to work for a great company, recognized by multiple prestigious sources as a great place to work in Austin. Free food company events and incentives outside of the usual grind to clock in and out everyday.

Cons

People keep saying 'growing pains' and its more than that. Kinnser has lost itself, its culture, and most importantly the security every employee should feel going into their job day to day. Too many shady management changes, people who have been with us for years gone the next day. New management seems to be apart of the good ole' boys hiring people they know rather then making conscious decisions to take on those with experience. Overall the morale of this place has more than plummeted. I am sad to say inter departmental as well as team communication is more than lacking with much more goodbye emails then hellos. Huge difference in pay and overall accountability across departments... development feels beaten, Tech support feels like the down trodden red headed step child, yet our sales team is rampant with energy to continue to push. Overall displeasure and no real hope to discuss any of this with your manager or repercussions will surely be had despite any open door policy.

Advice to Management

Focus on what we do best. Kinnser has been at the forefront of this industry for years, cut out the constant changes or at least attempt to speak to them. Show your employees they matter it will make a huge difference! Leave the bs'ing and shady dealings for home...no one is being fooled.

"Smoke and Mirrors"

Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at Kinnser Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Like most of the previous posts say: nice location down south, smart people (what's left of them), free food and drink. Kinnser was one of the best companies to work for in Austin, earning prestigious recognition year after year. However, this will not be the case for 2016. Kinnser has sunken to all time low and when confronted with concerns from its team, it's management showed their true colors. Because of that, about 10% of the company left within the last few months with more to come.

Cons

There is a concerted effort to make Kinnser "look good" - aka asking employees to plant glassdoor responses, pretending to have open discussions when we all know it's a joke, etc. Instead of trying to mask the situation, management should acknowledge and work on their issues. It's upsetting they care more about the rating on the job sites than their actual employees

Advice to Management

Get rid of the execs, save the CRO. The people are good, the management is terrible and getting worse. You've downgraded the company in 2016 and there are already repercussions from bad decision making. Time for Kinnser to get with the times and bring in a suitable executive team.

"Bad culture"

I have been working at Kinnser Software full-time

Pros

Good location, covered parking, great co-workers.
    The HR department is nice and plan good programs. They do care about the employees but are just having a hard time juggling between management decisions and company welfare.
    It used to be a great place to work.

Cons

The product is extremely complicated, based on extremely old technology. Its not well documented and lacks automation. For long, all efforts by engineering to change this have been overridden by upper management, in order to add more stuff to the product and bag sales. Previously people used to be valued, but for the past year or so this has taken a hit for the worst. All talent and product knowledge is walking out the door. The constant “assessment” isn’t helping either.
    The most concerning factor is that consultants work on too many assumptions, without involving people who actually deal with the product daily or even informing them of any decisions. The outsourcing model works great for companies who have a stable product and enough staffing in-house to handle the teams. Kinnser is not at that level.

Advice to Management

As someone said before, you cannot save the Titanic with teaspoons. This decrement in culture is bound to impact all departments across the company. Maybe its not too late to improve, but just talk won’t help, you need to walk the walk.

"Inevitable Changes"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

There is career growth within Kinnser for those who want to grow and further their career path. If you want to be challenged in your daily work, there are ways to challenge yourself. Kinnser offers additional training opportunities. There is a laid back atmosphere where everyone knows your name. Employees can actually see their CEO come to work daily and he has an open door policy. Free drinks and snacks are provided. Free lunches are sometimes offered. There are different things done to engage employees or promote healthy lifestyles, such as workout boot-camps, crawfish boils, and parties. You are not micromanaged. Kinnser does not have an assembly line-corporate feel. The best part of my job is being given the opportunity to grow and gain experience.

Cons

There isn't anything that makes me not want to come to work in the morning. I didn't rate five stars, because let's face it, perfection doesn't exist, but we can get darn close to it!

Advice to Management

Always look for ways to develop and empower your employees. People like feeling like they are part of something bigger then themselves.