Kinnser Software Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Kinnser Software President & Founder Christopher Hester
Christopher Hester

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They made coming to work a joy, and I really feel as though I had a family while I was working there (in 8 reviews)

• It is a great place for career development (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • For as much work as Tech Support does, they deserve a lot more respect throughout the other departments (in 4 reviews)

• Insecurity in job security, leadership, direction (in 3 reviews)

"A dead end"

Pros

Bonuses, snacks ... Apparently, I have to write a lot here, but there isn't a whole lot to share that is positive.

Cons

Manipulative people, CEO lacks trust in employees and really hurts innovation, pay, health benefits, not an open environment, management across the company

Apr 12, 2016 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry that your experience at Kinnser was not up to par and we have heard your feedback and will do what we can to improve so that others do not leave feeling the... More

"Old Vs. New"

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at Kinnser Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Before it went Corporate, the company was lovable. It was about the customers, if someone needed to be "held by the hand" we were there to help.

Cons

Horrible place to work at, everyone is quitting

May 10, 2016 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. I'm so sorry that your experience at Kinnser was not up to par. We have heard your feedback and will do what we can to improve so that others do not leave feeling the... More

"Not a place I would recommend to people I know"

Pros

Flexible work schedule, location is easy to access

Cons

Lack of leadership, software development practices questionable

Jun 21, 2016 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear your experience with us was not a good one. We strive for excellence and are continuing to evolve with the industry. Your feedback has been shared... More

"End of an Era of Great Company Culture"

I have been working at Kinnser Software full-time

Pros

Unfortunately at this time, Kinnser has gone into a dark era. This does not mean the company isn't growing, it just means Kinnser no longer cares for its employees the way that it used to. The company culture has changed because of the recent changes and how those changes took place.

Cons

Everyday I come to work and wonder if I'm going to get fired, senior management has created a lot of tension at work and try to address it through awkward lunches with the CEO who basically messaged that we should get on board with the plan (no one knows what the plan is, its a big secret). There are random people walking around and watching us, we have no idea what is going on, but I know some people feel like they are already training their replacements.

Advice to Management

A supposedly wise man once said "the success of large company is operating like a small company." Follow your own advice.

"Inconsistent Disciplinary Standards"

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Kinnser Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful location, great views, whole foods next door, nature trail, gym, volunteer time off

Cons

Unethical company. I was terminated for cause for doing the same thing another employee did without a single repercussion. Kinnser attempted to cover their tracks afterward by reaching out to that employee and cleaning up the damage. Kinnser subsequently fought my unemployment as well, which I am currently appealing. I gave my heart and soul to this place for years and the thanks I get is a good swift kick in the seat of the pants and my sh*t thrown out after me.

Advice to Management

Remember that what people loved about Kinnser before was that you at least gave the appearance of caring.

"Dropping Like Flies"

I have been working at Kinnser Software (More than 5 years)

Pros

Kinnser's culture used to be really good and the company cared about their hard working employees. Benefits are okay.

Cons

The company has recently gone through management changes. While change can be a good thing, the way they went about it was completely unethical. They let hard working and talented people go, without explanation. Because of this, people are scared to speak their mind, fearing that they may be next. There is obviously a morale problem, which they tried to fix with an uncomfortable brown bag lunch and never addressed the "pink elephant in the room". Management is being very unclear with their plans, making the work environment even more uncomfortable than it already is. There so many resignations now it is hard to keep track.

Advice to Management

You keep mentioning communication, take your own advice or resignations are going to keep piling up. You have dedicated and loyal employees who love Kinnser and have given a good amount of time and effort to make this company successful and you have made it clear that they are all expendable.

"Used to love working here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Kinnser Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free snacks, beautiful location, social activities

Cons

Everything else. This company has gone downhill. I used to love going to work because Kinnser actually stood for something and the culture was amazingly supportive. Nowadays, we have shifted from releasing high-quality features and products to a sloppier, quantitative approach ("How much stuff can we release, and how quickly can we release it?...Oh, wait, we broke existing functionality? How about we take people off of their existing projects and have an over-glorified bug bash!"). Sadly, Kinnser is evolving into just another 'has-been' company.

Advice to Management

Salvage the good folks that you still have left by showing them your genuine appreciation. Return to being the awesome company that you once were. Employees used to be proud to represent the Kinnser name - now, not so much.

"The Actions are speaking louder than the empty words"

Current Employee - Training Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Training Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Kinnser Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like that we have healthy snacks, trails nearby and a nice view of downtown. There is also a tiny gym in the building with showers.

Cons

It seems like we are moving a million miles an hour and we don't know where we are going. Senior management has been sending clear signals that we are all expendable and they barely acknowledge our concerns when we try to voice them. The recent change of management doesn't even make sense. Why would you bring in less qualified people then the ones you had? Why would you keep the weak ones? It seems like Kinnser is changing and instead of encouraging collaboration and strategic thinking, we are handed assignments to get done and don't understand the overall business objectives. It's sad that employees are clearly stressed by the current affairs shows how weak management is because they can't address simple communication issues.

Advice to Management

Stop telling us you are focusing on us, and start actually doing things that would show us this. It seems like the entire executive team needs to be refreshed, including the ceo who seems to be the source of all the inconsistency.

"Unprofessional, severely lacking data integrity"

Pros

The location is great, there are a few smart people working there still, and for the most part the work load is incredibly undemanding. It's an easy relatively cushy job in south Austin. If you're looking to come to work 9-5 every day, put your time in and then leave, this is probably as good a place as any to do it. Do not expect to be challenged or grow professionally in this environment.
    The company will be quite profitable for some time coming, as they did an excellent job corning their market early on.

Cons

Like the other reviews have mentioned, this workplace is heavily saturated with non-professionalism. Information flows only one way, from the top down, and woe is the underling who wants to improve their workflow.
    Many data structures and pieces of information touch multiple departments, which in theory would be good, but the data is often uncategorized, piecemeal, or otherwise poorly constructed. None of the data warehoused by Kinnser is maintained or used in an efficient way, and often requires permission from multiple managers to edit or restructure, despite it clearly being the right thing to do.
    The bloated sales managerial team basically runs the show here at Kinnser. They are treated and supported vastly more competently than any other department, but act like a group of high school kids bickering amongst themselves instead of solving actual inter-departmental concerns. Sales management will often decide unilaterally on issues concerning multiple departments, with the latter responsible for scrambling to meet the support necessary for the sales team.
    If you are not apart of the network of cliques and gossip, you will often be uninformed of actual business proceedings, or outright lied to by managers, as if asking for more information not directly concerning your tasks is frowned upon. The old guard (see: upper and middle level managers) treat the fresh faces at the company as stepping stones rather than competent employees. You will be fed platitudes about concerns by HR, as they're very aware of the workplace dynamic but considering the pay discrepancies between younger employees and older, they will likely do nothing for you.

The patronizing responses to the lower rating reviews on Glassdoor should be evidence enough they just want people to stop talking about the stagnation at Kinnser; Frankly they're insulting.

Advice to Management

Your Controller, Inside Sales Manager, and talent acquisition should be fired immediately. The tech support staff, finance/accounting, and implementation are vastly underpaid and downtrodden. Expect to see the culture continue to slide when you tell employees they are dispensable. Middle level management needs to be re-evaluated thoroughly.

"Company in decline"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Kinnser Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company is full of nice people and it is a fun environment with nice offices. Easy work and not very demanding.

Cons

Company does not challenge you and the constant change and inconsistency make it very hard to grow and in particular move up. No senior leadership have been with the company for over a year except the CEO and it seems like he is one foot out too.

Advice to Management

Create a culture that rewards hard work and dedication to the customer.