Kinnser Software Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Kinnser Software President & Founder Christopher Hester
Christopher Hester

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They made coming to work a joy, and I really feel as though I had a family while I was working there (in 8 reviews)

• It is a great place for career development (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • For as much work as Tech Support does, they deserve a lot more respect throughout the other departments (in 4 reviews)

• Insecurity in job security, leadership, direction (in 3 reviews)

1. "Nice place to work with good benefits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Kinnser Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun-loving CEO and really awesome music poster decor around the office. In general, most of the employees are super nice.

Cons

It seemed like there was sometimes no cohesion between some of the departments which caused some stress and tension in meetings.

"Coding & OASIS Review Nurse"

Current Employee - Coding and OASIS Review Nurse
    Current Employee - Coding and OASIS Review Nurse

I have been working at Kinnser Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Education provided for nurses with little to no experience.

Cons

No sense of loyalty or job security. If questions are brought to management, passive-aggressive repercussions ensue. The all mighty dollar is king. Quantity is valued over quality. There has been a vast influx of new employees who are not trained the same way long term employees were, and there are no resources indicating which training is correct. Coding department management does not have their employees best interests at heart. Constant restructuring is indicative of the lack of direction and inconsistency this department has been plagued with for the past 18+ months.

Advice to Management

Be loyal to long term employees. Don't sell out to the highest bidder. Be consistent. Stop throwing employees under the bus. Eventually that will catch up to you. Do not put people with little to no experience in a position of authority over experts in their field. Stop micromanaging. These are professionals, not preschoolers.

"From start up to corporate company"

Current Employee - Management in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Management in Austin, TX

I have been working at Kinnser Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Kinnser's a fast pace and growing company.

Cons

Being sold twice over and squeezing employees expenses and compensation to increase profits is the direct opposite of what they used to stand for.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employee's needs and treat them with respect.

4. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Kinnser Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All departments work together to drive sales

Cons

none at this time great culture

Advice to Management

keep doing what you are doing

"Struggling with our direction."

Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at Kinnser Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management is asking employees to review on Glassdoor to raise their rating. I am happy to oblige. Office is beautiful in a good location. Lots of great people here.

Cons

When I started work at Kinnser 3 years ago the CEO had an almost 90% approval rating and they had just shy of 5 stars on Glassdoor. As you can see that has changed and should probably be lower if not for the desperate call for good reviews by current employees.

The culture has completely deteriorated. Kinnser is shutting down spending on development and innovation as the VC gets ready to sell the business off. It has made things difficult for everyone. About 80% of upper management has been let go in the last 8 months. It felt like the CEO was surprised by how adversely it affected everyone. And then proceeded to tell us we shouldn't feel that way.

It is really too bad. The people affected the worst by this are our customers who have to deal with a vendor instead of a partner and the promise of innovation that looks to not be coming under the current regime.

Advice to Management

You have been trying to transition to become a big company. You are spending tons of time and money cataloging everyone's responsibilities and tasks so you can serve up your business in a box to the highest bidder. You should be spending that money on your products and innovation and trying to operate like a small company. We have lost our culture of doing whatever it takes to be the best and getting lost in the process and rules. The money will come if you just focus on the basics of doing the right thing by your customers and employees.

"Bad culture"

I have been working at Kinnser Software full-time

Pros

Good location, covered parking, great co-workers.
    The HR department is nice and plan good programs. They do care about the employees but are just having a hard time juggling between management decisions and company welfare.
    It used to be a great place to work.

Cons

The product is extremely complicated, based on extremely old technology. Its not well documented and lacks automation. For long, all efforts by engineering to change this have been overridden by upper management, in order to add more stuff to the product and bag sales. Previously people used to be valued, but for the past year or so this has taken a hit for the worst. All talent and product knowledge is walking out the door. The constant “assessment” isn’t helping either.
    The most concerning factor is that consultants work on too many assumptions, without involving people who actually deal with the product daily or even informing them of any decisions. The outsourcing model works great for companies who have a stable product and enough staffing in-house to handle the teams. Kinnser is not at that level.

Advice to Management

As someone said before, you cannot save the Titanic with teaspoons. This decrement in culture is bound to impact all departments across the company. Maybe its not too late to improve, but just talk won’t help, you need to walk the walk.

"Glad I got out when I did. The writing was on the wall years ago."

Pros

Nice office, fun and smart people, great overall objective.

Cons

Office cliques dictate personal success, shortsighted management more interested in punitive actions than team-building, ageism and personal affiliation override fair and honest decision-making. Company departments are split into the haves and have-nots, so some are given great benefits and leisure time with coworkers while others are worked like slaves and receive very little of the social benefits (lunches, off-campus employee events, etc) that other departments enjoy. Young managers far too inexperienced to effectively manage large numbers of staff without melting down. Older employees often treated with disdain and not offered equal opportunity for growth while friends of friends quickly shoot up through the ranks. Company sold out to venture capital and the deterioration of work conditions was quick to follow. A business story repeated a million times yet the outcome always remains the same.

Advice to Management

If you're going to put perspective employees through giant feats in order to be hired, then work harder to retain them. Do what you have to do in order to treat ALL your employees fairly - not just the hip and fun A-listers.

"Next Level, huge miss."

Current Employee - Training Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Training Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Kinnser Software (More than 3 years)

Pros

There used to be so many pros to list, the people would have been the number one, the culture would have been number two. There was a time when people loved to come to work, it was a family, a community, all serving a common goal. Now I will say, if you live Southwest, it's a reasonable location. If you are active, it's green belt adjacent.

Cons

Panic driven focus on "culture", "communication", "employee engagement".
    Fear driven decision making from the top down.
    New leaders who fail to understand the business before making educated decisions and redirects.
    Hostile work environment in most, if not all departments.
    Focus on superficial sensational change, instead of making changes in the correct manner to include people, product, customer impact.
    CEO has caused so much unrest, and redirection and as of late, lack of sincere interest in the employees he says are "Kinnser Family".
    Lack of balance in work load and work life balance.
    Insecurity in job security, leadership, direction.
    Lack of communication between the departments.
    Lack of clearly defined roles and responsibilities.
    Lack of customer focus.
    In many departments, clear pressure for once valued employees to exit the business.

Advice to Management

It's hard to offer advice, so many have voiced their concerns to a powerless and often clueless Human Resources department. It's clear the focus is on money and market potential not customers and people. Kinnser has been historically successful, in having great relationships, but that has changed as now it's about the money you pay each month, rather than assisting in supporting those who are caring for the patients.

"A Great Place to Start Off"

Former Employee - Tech Support Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Tech Support Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Kinnser Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked in Tech Support and really enjoyed it, mostly because of my peers and management around our department. They made coming to work a joy, and I really feel as though I had a family while I was working there.

Communication within Support was pretty great, and the morale was wonderful up until about a month and a half/two months before I left.

LOTS of free snacks and sometimes free food, which is always great and very appreciated, especially if you're a stress eater, like me!

Also, this company goes out of it's way to try to help you out if you need it. That is extremely important. As stressed out as I was here, I always felt like I could go to at least one of my supervisors or managers regarding concerns or any issues I was experiencing.

Cons

For as much work as Tech Support does, they deserve a lot more respect throughout the other departments. My coworkers and I continually felt as through tech support was not taken seriously, even though we not only spoke with the customers using the software every day, but we were also navigating the software on a daily basis. Support is a department where customers essentially call to yell at you because either 1) something isn't working OR 2) the user does not know the proper workflow. We become used to being talked down to, having our intelligence questioned, and sometimes we are even threatened, even though we're trying to make the user's experience with the software not only more fulfilling, but also more user-friendly. Considering this, I think Support should be included in more company decisions as far as where the product is heading, since we are hearing exactly what the customer wants/doesn't want.

Communication throughout departments definitely needs work, especially with all of the new managerial changes. It is naive to think that a company can let go of 3 employees in powerful positions in one week without making the remaining employees frightened for their own job security. "Brown Bag Lunches" are now being held by the CEO for employees who opt to attend as a way to confront any looming fears and doubts regarding the company, but I'm not alone when I say that many of the answers to the questions feel a bit vague and mysterious.

Advice to Management

Respect for all employees and solid communication throughout the company can work wonders on morale. Focus on that. I know of at least a dozen employees who were and are terrified of losing their jobs because they still don't know why there were so many changes to upper management. This will cause more people to start looking elsewhere for a more secure position.

"Company in decline"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Kinnser Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company is full of nice people and it is a fun environment with nice offices. Easy work and not very demanding.

Cons

Company does not challenge you and the constant change and inconsistency make it very hard to grow and in particular move up. No senior leadership have been with the company for over a year except the CEO and it seems like he is one foot out too.

Advice to Management

Create a culture that rewards hard work and dedication to the customer.