Kinross Gold Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kinross Gold CEO J. Paul Rollinson
J. Paul Rollinson

1. "Local management in conflict with head office results in conflicting priorities. Impossible to meet both."

I worked at Kinross Gold full-time

Pros

Salary and health care were strong.

Cons

Stock is plummeting. Writing is on the wall. People are more concerned with guarding turf and protecting their own hides than in problem solving for the betterment of the company.

2. "Struggling to survive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Kinross Gold full-time

Pros

Diverse portfolio of assets and a great office location.

Cons

Shareholder value has completed diminished and has been decimated.

3. "Worst Place to Work"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

Pay is good for contractors

Cons

No stability
    Management hires contractors and gives them false hopes about the job
    Do not do contract work - lots of layoffs
    Unfit Management team
    No stability
    Lots of work

Advice to Management

Make your intentions clear about where contract is going. Do not give false hopes.

5. "Putting people first????"

Pros

A well financed and organized major gold producer

Cons

Reputation for smearing past employees who did not tow the line exactly as prescribed in their corporate mandate. Putting people is sickening corporate motto when a sizable portion of former employees, particularly in their South American sector, have found it extremely difficult to find employment or have been harassed by Kinross HR long after leaving the company. More people need to call this company out on their notorious HR black-listing policy.

Advice to Management

Grow up and STOP black-listing former employees

"A bad company in a cultural desert"

Former Employee - Tech Services in Round Mountain, NV
    Former Employee - Tech Services in Round Mountain, NV

I worked at Kinross Gold full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The compensation is good and the lack of things to do allows you to save money. If you like the desert there is PLENTY of it. For those with little education, this is one of the last places in America where a high school grad can work up to making over $100k a year.

Cons

There is nothing as far as housing goes unless you get company housing. Even then depending on specific situations, the company will take your non-company house. Everything is at least a 3 hour drive away, including medical attention. The people are very closed off and unwelcoming.

Advice to Management

To anyone potentially interested in working for Kinross at Round Mountain Gold Mine:

My immediate manager was AMAZING! He was very supportive and gave me a lot of confidence in myself. He was not a very hands of manager, yet very easily approachable on any matter. He sent me to and brought in tons of training courses and really built my education on very specific tools in my job. If it were not for all the other horrible things about the company and life Round Mountain gives I would still be working for him.

Now, the rest of management is another story. The whole system is a haggard, nepotistic organization. It ties closely to how small the community is (750 people). There is a very strong 'clique' feeling to the company and in other departments outside of the one I was in, people have been known to bully others to the point where they are run out of town. They have meetings for EVERYTHING including meetings to plan meeting (seriously). There is a very strong corporate presence that, especially HR, will use for their own gains. Depending on who a person may be, they will either allow them to do as they please. To others they quickly turn to the policy manual and reprimand them. They uphold a code of accountability that most upper management blatantly does not adhere to.

When I took the job I was given a relocation package, a moving allowance, and promised a specific company house and told that within the year it would get a new deck and front porch. I also negotiated an annual salary ~$3500 more then their original offer.

When I showed up I was not immediately given the relocation allowance that I was told would be disperse the moment I got there. I was put in a much smaller and older home then the one promised.Also, I later found out that they had not been paying me the agreed salary, but rather what they originally offered. This oversight affected money awarded to my 401k, health and life insurance, taxes for that year and the following, and stock contributions. In the near 2 years I worked and lived there they never built the deck or porch.

The last thing is that the place, Round mountain is an incredibly isolated town. In the classification of municipalities it is not considered a rural town, but rather a frontier town. The community of Round Mountain is made up of the Old Town of Round mountain (ghost town), Hadley subdivision, Carvers, and Manhattan. Old Town, Carvers, and Hadley are about 10 mile radius away from one another. Hadley is the newest area and was largely developed by the mine. Its a trailer town with a school (k-12). There are a few sports fields, and indoor pool that is only open June to August. The library is staffed by very wonderful and sweet people. There is a gas station that is privately owned and sells sandwiches. And last but not least the General store. Owned and operated by the mine, it is a total hustle. All products are marked up, especially beer, wine, and liquor. There is limited selection but they do take orders by the case of different products. The only upside is that the company subsidizes meat and you get good beef and chicken. DO NOT eat the pork or fish.

In the area there are no restaurants within an hour's driving distance; Tonopah offers very little option with only a Mexican restaurant, a Burger King and few hotel and casino restaurants. There is a bar in Hadley, one in Carvers, and one in Manhattan, each with their own vibe, but all pretty much the same rundown desert watering hole.

"Some high spots a bit lower spots"

Former Employee - Heavy Equipment Operator in Round Mountain, NV
    Former Employee - Heavy Equipment Operator in Round Mountain, NV

I worked at Kinross Gold (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and unlimited OT, shift work made for a lot of free time. There's nothing much really to say about the company in terms of pros.

Cons

Upper management were bozos, small town that looks out for their own. Benefits were getting progressively worse.

Advice to Management

You don't know it all. Admit it and actually listen to your employees.

8. "Great potential"

Pros

Company has a growing base of properties that have the potential to be world class. Benefits package is excellent compared to anyone in the business. Expences are paid quickly.

Cons

HR is terrible. Communication is non-existent. Kinross seems unable to promote from within, thus you doa in the position you start with.

Advice to Management

Live the values you made, HR is terrible, thus you dont put people first. As long as the company only spends money to get people in the door, but not once they are in, the company morale will suffer.

"More cons than pros."

Pros

There is good pay and good hours. They have plenty of benefits to compete with other companies.

Cons

They are not as forthcoming with information to non management personnel as they could be. They hide and change their mind more with out telling employees until the last minute. Often making employees work days they expected to be off without. Upper management doesn't seem to be in control of employees.
    They have a list of values but only follow them when it is convenient for the bottom line. Health, safety and environmental issues only matter if it doesn't cost any extra money or slow production down.

Advice to Management

Follow the handbook, stop lying to employees and be a little more forthcoming with information.

"Loader/Shovel Operator R.M.G.C."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Round Mountain, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Round Mountain, NV

I worked at Kinross Gold (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay for mining, great benefits, paid holidays and vacation, lots of overtime if you want it.

Cons

Remote rural location, very little to do recreationaly, 3 hours drive to nearest hospital and the company is more concerned with their bottom line than anything else. Bitter cold and windy winters. They preach culture and values in all their meetings but seldom did we ever see them practiced.

Advice to Management

Be more open minded to employee suggestions in operational settings. After all, they're the ones producing your gold day in and day out.....and stop running people off for petty reasons. As you know, it's hard enough to get good people to stay in that valley long term.

"gold mine"

I have been working at Kinross Gold full-time

Pros

Great benefits and great pay.

Cons

Located 3-4 hours from the nearest city. Nepitism