Kipany Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Tiffany Hendry

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Place To Work"

I have been working at Kipany full-time

Pros

We get excellent support from the highest levels of the organization.
    Company culture fosters new ideas and rewards the entrepreneurial spirit.
    Impressive list of brands that are clients.
    Lean organization helps things get done quickly without getting caught up in layers of approvals.
    Leadership willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done.
    Strong company values with no tolerance for unethical business practices.

Cons

Lean organization means you will be expected to to fill in gaps if someone is out or gets pulled in another direction.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster the entrepreneurial spirit and continue to add talented members to the team.

2. "Career oriented firm"

Former Employee - Management in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Management in New York, NY

I worked at Kipany full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have noticed the amount of time the average employee stays with the company. Ten years is not considered a long term employee, maybe fifteen years means long term. The salaries are high, especially when first joining the firm. Raises are only annual, once a year treatment. The day passes very quickly at the company.

Cons

Because of the length of time co-workers stay, the opportunities for advancement are a little slower than I wanted. I would of liked more diversity of the type of clients, but it was interesting.

Advice to Management

Consider to put less emphasis on work tenure and more emphasis on new skill sets. Spend more time on individual employees and maybe a little less time on team work groups. Have a more customized approach.

3. "Busy and challenging work!"

Pros

Lots of varied projects, I felt challenged but also found it rewarding. Good teamwork in my department. Seems like most people wanted to learn and grow.

Cons

A ton of deadlines, including weekends. There was a lot of focus on the clients, which I guess is both good and bad, but it resulted in some degree of pressure to get things done.

Advice to Management

Look for ways to spread out the peak work periods.

"Run very far away."

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Kipany (More than 3 years)

Pros

Close to Grand Central, you get to work in a historical brownstone.

Cons

Company culture – is pretty boring compared to other companies. This privately owned business has very few team building events. They talk of the “good old days” when they used to party on the rooftop. In my time there, they were barely able to get one event off the ground. Your one event will be the company holiday party where you eat family style and pray you get a decent person to sit next to. Don’t worry about getting drunk and making a scene, it’s not going to come even close.

The work – on the technical side of things you will be expected to wear many hats and you will be expected to learn it all yourself. While some of the seniors get to take courses and classes you will be lucky if they renew the cbtnuggets subscription. Expect to support aging technology because the “sql guy” can’t be bothered to update his code. Expect to prove that in fact it’s the code causing performance issues and not the brand new SSD san you just bought to speed up the sloppy code.

Management – expect management to look after each other and not reward you for the long nights you put in. although this might be true everywhere, I never saw it as distinctly as I did at Kipany. If you are on the IT side of the house, expect the boss to sit in his penthouse throne and not lift a finger to help as the staff fights over who has the authority over a project. Don’t expect any vision or roadmap from the boss, he is there for life and is not about to mess it up by offering any risky path forward. Don’t not expect the boss to mentor you, unless you call his stories during the morning coffee breaks, “life lessons”.

Growth – This company is undergoing major re-tuning. They’ve gone from having a major partner to having to scramble to return to their production roots. They went through a round of layoffs so expect to fight for every dollar when you interview and your reviews, you will not win that argument but keep your dignity and try anyway.