Kirkwood Community College Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

"The Heritage Area Agency on Aging does not value their employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Kirkwood Community College full-time

Pros

As a department of Kirkwood Community College, the benefits are excellent and the College is full of great people.

Cons

Executive Director is not competent to run the agency. Management team does not accept concerns or complaints in a receptive manner and will tell you that is "Just the way it is," or "That is our policy," or "That is none of your business." Many of the policies are not even followed or it is selective to certain employees. Management does not put in a full 40 hours and are rarely available to the staff that report to them. Constant crisis management. No forethought. Reactive instead of proactive. The morale is so low people are extremely unhappy and find it hard to go to work in the morning. This has also been brought to their attention with no action only to be told to find employment elsewhere. Management continues to dump more and more responsibilities off of subordinates, while taking less on themselves. They expect office staff to fill management rolls in their absence, including crisis situations. It is a toxic work environment.

Advice to Management

Take employee concerns seriously and act to remedy situations. Put in your time and make an effort at your duties. You will be experiencing a high turn over and a low retention rate in the future. Value your employees.

2. "Neutral feelings"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Kirkwood Community College part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Diverse customers, got to learn about other aspects of the college,
    fairly laid back, nice co-workers. First 2 years of employment I enjoyed and looked forward to working each day. Then many changes occurred and my trust and loyalty toward management diminished.

Cons

Pay, benefits, absolutely no communication within the department, part time employees are not treated at as part of 'the team'. Feel uninformed about new developments. Never know when supervisor will be at work.

Advice to Management

Recognize that part time employees are the cornerstone of the institution. And reward them better, with pay, bonuses or benefits. This college does not like to hire within the organization and does show favoritism towards the younger work group.

3. "Great benefits"

Pros

Great benefits and time off. People are friendly and the campus is very nice. I feel like I am making a difference in my work.

Cons

Low pay, especially when they re-did the pay bands. I feel there is a large turn over in staff in certain departments.

Advice to Management

Go back to the old pay grades. The new pay bands have employees starting about $6000 less than they would have.

5. "office assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garland, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garland, TX

I worked at Kirkwood Community College (Less than a year)

Pros

good working environment with good leadership..

Cons

Kirkwood Community college doesn't pay that well, its barely over minimum wage.

6. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Parking Booth Cashier in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Parking Booth Cashier in Iowa City, IA

I worked at Kirkwood Community College part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Right on campus so it is a great place for students to work. Also very flexible with students courses.

Cons

Management isn't very great. They are doing some cut backs so less hours for students. And can't sit down or do Homework even while the store has absolutely no customers coming in.

Advice to Management

Give students the hours they ask for. And let them do Homework since it is a student job!

7. "Good Place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jakarta (Indonesia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jakarta (Indonesia)

I worked at Kirkwood Community College (More than 3 years)

Pros

Kirkwood Community College is a good place to work. It has a nice environment and coworkers are generally friendly.

Cons

As far as I can see, it does not need improvement at all because it is good the way it is.

8. "Great School, great place to work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros

Kirkwood provides an opportunity to work with all different types of people and in a variety of different fields. Whether it be as an instructor or in administration, there is something for everyone.

Cons

There are times when you don't get feedback and you don't know how you are doing. Also, depending on what you are doing, pay can be great, or it may not be.

Advice to Management

Provide more feedback to employees. It would also be nice to be made more aware of positions that open up that you may be qualified for that provide you with a career advancement opportunity.

9. "I obtained both professional and personal skills that benefit me in the real-world."

Former Employee - News Editor and Writer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - News Editor and Writer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Kirkwood Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a student working on campus, it was very convenient for me. The senior employees understood the busy lives of students and were flexible with schedules. The working atmosphere was always comfortable and encouraging.

Cons

Given the majority of employees were students, not all of them took their job as seriously as others.

Advice to Management

Set realistic goals for individual employees. Maintain constant communication. Continuously provide feedback. Ensure that necessary training is provided.

10. "great overall place to work"

Current Employee - Banquet Supervisor in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Banquet Supervisor in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Kirkwood Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, good people

Cons

long hours/weekends no room for advancement

Advice to Management

They need to listen to there employees for advice instead of just assuming they know whats going on.

11. "The first few years were good, then the polotics really started to take hold."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Kirkwood Community College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You do good for people who need a boost in life

Cons

Hierarchy often gets in the way of people doing what's right. Too many politics to play between departments.

Advice to Management

Go back to what made it such a great place to work for