Kissmetrics Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Great People"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kissmetrics full-time

Pros

-I loved working with everyone at this company. Everyone was friendly and easy to work with.
    -Small Startup feel with fun Friday Happy Hours and BBQs

Cons

-need to be more transparent about the status and direction of the company

2. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Kissmetrics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overall it's a great place to work. The people there are the biggest pro. It's a great team. Kissmetrics provides lots of interesting problems to work on.

Cons

Not too many downsides here. It's definitely a startup, so there is a bit of rolling with the punches, but that helps keep things interesting.

Advice to Management

Continue with the product plans that are in place. Continue to take care of the team. You've got some really great people.

"Not its hay day"

Former Employee - California in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - California in San Francisco, CA

Pros

If you are to get hired, you can work with some really brilliant people and will have a good name on your resume.

Cons

Management at the exec level is highly political and do not do what they say they will do. Business decisions are slow, but the implementation of those decisions are hasty and rushed. The development stack is so out of date, it causes for a ton of technical limitations that slow the needle for changes throughout the product.

I wouldn't recommend a role here. Since money has been tight, there have been multiple instances of layoffs in 2015 including new hires that worked less than three months. But, there was still money to have the CEOs under performing son as an intern. The company can't dedicate itself to it hiring decisions. Key players have all been resigning in the droves. It's not the healthiest of work places and the job security is not strong.

Advice to Management

Be conscience of the life changes that you have when hiring. Hire based off a one year commitment. Spend more money on finding product team members instead of sales. You're putting a bandage on a sore wound.

"Great people, Amazing CEO, but no future ahead"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The people are amazing and bright! I love coming to work everyday because of my team. My boss really listens and tries to address our concerns. We have some awesome dogs here and the atmosphere is really chill and playful. Nerf fights all around. Our CEO is amazing and knows what he's doing but unfortunately that's just not enough.

Cons

Unfortunately our biggest competitor is Google Analytics and there's not competing with Google especially when they put out a free product. Half our engineering team walked out earlier in the year and they haven't really been replaced so we can't make progress on the product. The only progress really being made is on the UX/UI front which won't help if the product doesn't deliver. Selling the product is easy, the challenge is when our customers have issues. We don't have enough support on the customer success team to keep our customers happy and like I said, we don't have the engineers to address the issues. Things change constantly. We're told something one day but it changes the next day so there's no progress but a lot of frustration. People on the team often say the best that could happen our company getting bought out. The company will only last for another 1-2 years max.

Advice to Management

Get more operations employees so our Salesforce backend gets fixed and so more issues can be addressed rather than one person doing it all. Stick to your word and deliver. Continue to be transparent. Hire more engineers already!

5. "Non-Trivial Challenges Abound!"

Former Employee - Operations Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Seriously challenging and rewarding work to do on the Engineering side of things. This company has a lot of room for growth in certain aspects. The Engineering team during my time at the company had a lot of ups and downs, but always seemed to come together to get things done.

Cons

The tech side of Kissmetrics *is* a relative minefield. We constantly struggled to find team members that were up for the challenges faced. With the speed and veracity Kissmetrics attacked problems, a lot of things are well outside the bounds of your "vanilla" software job.

Advice to Management

Work on pragmatically simplifying the technology Kissmetrics runs on. We made a lot of progress towards commodity solutions given the team and timelines at hand. More "run-of-the-mill" solutions will help attract, retain, and grow team members that would have been historically unsuccessful on the team.

"The thought that counts?"

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kissmetrics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the smartest minds in product, marketing, and sales. You can definitely tell there was high potential for the product to be great and for sales to hit numbers.

Meetings seemed constructive and you got the feeling your input was valued.

Cons

Execution of previously mentioned ideas was sub-par. Tools within the product were complex and difficult to use but nothing was done to fix that except throw new skins and UI at it to make it easier on the eyes.

Training and onboarding was a circus show of "watch this video 20x" and "play with this demo account." They tried to address this but too little too late.

Advice to Management

Stop the endless cycle of "it's sales fault" or "marketing isn't bringing in enough leads". When your employees are trying to voice their concerns, please listen and act on it instead of nodding your head and putting it on the back burner.

7. "Great Marketing, Poor technology."

I worked at Kissmetrics full-time

Pros

Great Marketing; they are very good at getting the message out and the Kissmetrics blog is a great tool for marketers.

Cons

Engineering leadership is incompetent, insecure and resistant to change. People who point out how poorly designed and insecure (yes, insecure, if you are a customer, your data is at risk with Kissmetrics) get targeted for revenge.

Advice to Management

Rebuild your brittle, poorly-designed product from scratch. It may be too late for it now, MixPanel has already got you beat.

8. "Great CEO"

Pros

The quality of the CEO

Cons

The uncertain direction of the company

9. "Great people and a wonderful product."

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Kissmetrics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They truly take care of their team. There are many interesting challenges to solve in a great product space. There are many smart and passionate people working on the team. The people working across the company had a great grasp of analytics and what that meant for the customers and the product.

Cons

As with any company there are tough product decisions that have to be made. Sometimes those decisions took a while to make. At times the product direction felt as though it was going in circles and very little progress was being made.

10. "Great Growing Company"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kissmetrics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Professional culture--many people are from different backgrounds such as other startups, larger corporate settings, even from other non-tech fields. Because of this, I think we have a unique culture where everyone brings something different to the table whether it's the sales team to the analytics team or product to marketing, in a reasonable way. Despite growing pains, everyone is able to bring up their challenges in a collected, professional manner where things get resolved almost instantly.

Cons

Growing pains--there is always a new plan or a new process, so it's fine if you are flexible and roll with the punches.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!