Kitchen Collection Reviews | Glassdoor

Kitchen Collection Reviews

1.0
Gregory H. Trepp

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Retail-it is fast paced, so it takes special people to work in retail for a living (in 2 reviews)

• Good hours and management works to schedule hours around your needs as much as possible (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Demoralizing atmosphere for LOW pay (in 6 reviews)

• Confused home office that changes directives constantly making needless extra work (in 3 reviews)

"Used to love it"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Bellport, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Bellport, NY

I have been working at Kitchen Collection full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great customers, good products at decent prices. Fun shopping experience.

Cons

Work alone with no breaks. Dangerous area especially at night to be alone. Unresponsive and critical regional manager makes job harder than it needs to be. Confused home office that changes directives constantly making needless extra work. Managers pay 35 % less than national average. Demoralizing atmosphere for LOW pay. BEWARE!

Advice to Management

Value your employees. Stop trying so hard to look busy making charts and games and get busy communicating with your most valuable assets, the people running the stores. The book EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE 2.0 should be required reading for upper management as it is for many Fortune 500 companies employees.

2. "Job isn't worth much"

Current Employee - Warehouse in Chillicothe, OH
    Current Employee - Warehouse in Chillicothe, OH

I have been working at Kitchen Collection full-time

Pros

Have no pros to share

Cons

Work short for barely over minimum wage then expected to do others jobs without supervisors willing to help

Advice to Management

Help your employees by hiring more help or working in the place of others that are needed

"Terrible Experience"

Former Employee - Fourth Key in Zanesville, OH
    Former Employee - Fourth Key in Zanesville, OH

I worked at Kitchen Collection (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay
    I liked the quiet time I got since it was hardly ever busy

Cons

Worked alone almost every shift. Terrible store manager that had zero understanding of anything but kitchen collection. She always got her smoke breaks, could take personal calls from her friends and family, got days off whenever she wanted to, sat in her office most of the day; yet expected everyone under her to be slaves...I went to the restroom ONE time when she came in and was screamed at in front of customers.

Advice to Management

You need to care for your employees, don't make them work alone 8 hours and not have the opportunity for a break. Provide refrigerators so that it's possible for them to bring a lunch to eat at work. Don't expect their lives to revolve around this company.

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Sioux City, IA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Sioux City, IA

I worked at Kitchen Collection full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The customers and my team

Cons

Company is constantly opening and closing stores, so it's not a very reliable company to work for. Most of the communication is done through emails, faxing, and occasionally, phone calls. A few people at Home Office need to brush up on their communication skills with the managers that are running your stores. Belittling, yelling through emails, and disrespecting us on the phone is unprofessional. Budget hours for employees is ridiculous and results in a lot of turnovers. Nobody can live off 10 hours a week. No benefits!! Vacation is a joke, no health, 401 K, or anything for managers. Bonuses come once a year and it's after inventory. Based on your inventory counts (percentage) for the year, will decide whether or not you even get a bonus.

Advice to Management

Stop managing from your computer and start getting in your stores. Don't promise things that are never going to happen. Stop opening & closing stores randomly. You're only making customers angry & frustrated and will eventually stop believing in your company and product. Stop lying to your workers. Ex: We have to close the store because mall management won't work with us. I have talked to several "past" managers that have had their stores closed and you tell everyone the same thing. Only to have mall management tell us differently. Ironic how all the malls in various states have all said the same thing, "It's not us, it's your company." Very sad that we pour our heart and soul into our job, only to be ignored, shunned, and told "you are not allowed to talk to anyone about the closing of your store. Do not call Home Office and ask any questions." Disappointing that a store/employees that could be a great asset to any mall is treated in such a way. My advice....look for a different company to work for.

"Worst company I ever worked for"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Kitchen Collection full-time

Pros

None, aside from discounts on kitchen items

Cons

The company is unorganized, ungrateful will step on any employee to get where they want to be. They will under pay you, over work you then if you get sick from it they boot you.

Advice to Management

Fire all regionals and up. Most of HR has no clue what they are doing or how to treat employees. They allow middle management to play games and not take accountability.

"Humiliating"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Some of my co workers.

Cons

I helped put a new store together including; fixture trucks and a massive merchandise truck unloading and carrying very heavy boxes. Once the boxes were checked in we were all assigned areas to unload the merchandise and place in front of the destination they were supposed to be housed. I come from over 20 years in the retail industry and know how to merchandise and basically all functions of stock procedures. I worked very efficiently at this store and gave all my effort to do my best. I was new as well as the other associates hired with me but, I had to hear behind my back that I was placing things in the wrong spot, I wasn't moving fast enough or carrying enough boxes, I did the best I could sorry I couldn't lift 2 at a time like some of the people. I left each day I worked sore from head to toe covered in bruises if that didn't prove I worked hard I don't know what did. I didn't deserve this treatment. I barely got a thank you for the management team after each day worked. I gave and gave and felt like it was never enough.

Advice to Management

When you are a new employee in a new environment understand there is a learning process. Also, when you see someone working as hard as physically can don't put them down for something they may have not known about. Teach them and be more understanding. Bullying and put downs are not for adults in the retail industry, especially not managers. I had such high hopes for working here but after a few days they killed my spirit and confidence. I know I am a good worker with a high work ethic and it is a shame they couldn't and were unwilling to see my true potential.

"Soul-sucking Hell"

Current Employee - 4th Key
    Current Employee - 4th Key

I have been working at Kitchen Collection part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Customers are great, product is cool.

Cons

This is absolutely the worst job I've ever had. I've been in retail management for 20 years and have never seen a more poorly run company. Ever. I work at a 1.8 million dollar store, but I got hired at a pitiful rate and told that I'd have to take a pay cut after the holidays. Who does that?

Shipments come twice a week and there is NEVER enough time or payroll to get it processed. It's a constant, perpetual game of moving boxes from prior shipments to make room for the next. The process for checking in and receiving shipment is archaic and only adds to the unending stress and feeling that you never accomplish anything as a store team. The vibe for workers is defeatist and depressing. Far too frequent secret shops with far too many requirements end up making salespeople have to repeat canned-sounding phrases over and over without actually being able to offer customized, personal customer service. I hate not being able to help customers as I would like, but that's the reality. A shift consists of moving boxes around, unpacking, and then going through the mental checklist with every customer: greet within five feet, offer help, suggest a high priced item, offer gadget of the month, get zip code. Who has time to really talk to them? You're often the only one working and have two weeks' worth of shipment out back threatening to collapse on your head.

Advice to Management

I know it may sound like I'm talking the crazy talk, but if you'd cough up a little money, you'd have more successful business. It's more expensive to keep hiring and training new employees because you can't retain any help. Yes, the economy is bad, and yes, you have to make up for some losses, but doing so at the expense of good customer service will never pay in the long run.

"Don't Punish Yourself"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crossville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crossville, TN

I worked at Kitchen Collection full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Customers were awesome. Location awesome. Coworkers and asst. manager were wonderful. Interesting and quality kitchen gadgets. Surrounding businesses were great.

Cons

No appreciation. Low pay. Disrespectful. Inconsiderate. Unreasonable. Spiteful. If not for the wonderful customers, sales associates and asst. manager this store would have went under years ago.

Advice to Management

Quit throwing the hard working employees under the bus. Do some actual real work and take some responsibility for your sinking ship and quit passing the blame. Get real!

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Stire Manager in Castle Rock, CO
    Former Employee - Stire Manager in Castle Rock, CO

Pros

Regional Staff was amazing and supportive

Cons

Any one else was a nightmare to deal with

Advice to Management

Figure it out

"store management"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Kitchen Collection full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good employee discount on top of all sale prices Good interaction with the main office. Freedom to run your store your way.

Cons

Bad wages for the profit that is made in the store and online. Information on sales is hard to keep up with.

Advice to Management

give your people credit for all the hard work and time that they put in to the job. Most of the m give up there family time for this company for what?