KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Current Employee

love

Sep 29, 2021 - Planner in Boise, ID
    Business Outlook

Pros

work is great here thanks

Cons

none to think of thanks

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

One of the best places I've worked for!

Aug 15, 2021 - Administrator in Tucson, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Supportive team, great company culture, they really care about you and your professional growth and goals! Flat structure and ability to make your own mark. .

Cons

Honestly, I can't think of any cons! If the right position opened up, I'd work for them again in a heart beat!

Be the first to find this review helpful
  3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company and people to work with

Mar 14, 2021 - Engineering Associate in Sacramento, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have a lot of respect for the people that I work with at Kittelson. My experience has been that employees here will show interest in working with you regardless of your background, if you do good work. The career growth is solely based on meritocracy. There is great emphasis on learning and mentorship, and it is a trust-based environment. The company encourages fresh perspectives in problem solving and operates as a flat structure. The employees are empowered to make significant impact in the transportation projects and the communities that they serve.

Cons

Some employees might find it challenging that although there are numerous opportunities, everyone has to design a career path for themselves. The company provides great resources in the form of mentorship and coaching, but it is up to the employees to fully utilize the resources for their benefit.

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Kittelson: What an opportunity

Mar 4, 2021 - Project Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some say a career at Kittelson is a wonderous experience of “Choose Your Own Adventure.” I say a career at Kittelson is an opportunity to chart your own path and inform your choices along the way when you harness the experience of generous, high-caliber professionals. Kittelson is home to industry experts who literally are leading the nation forward in several areas of our profession. It’s home to humble and willful people. In the community and with clients, staff persistently seek to deliver solutions that will make people’s lives a bit better, safer, smoother, less burdensome. Afterall, contributing to the improvement of transportation and mobility means touching people’s lives. In the office, staff consistently look to the interests of other people above their own interests. Because Kittelson is a company comprised of humans, mistakes are made, and feelings are hurt … just like in every other place humans exist. And at Kittelson, people consistently own their mistakes, make amends, and move forward together.

Cons

Cons I will frame as Cons-iderations. Joining Kittelson as a project manager, considerations include: - Willingness to work with a wider range of people than a standard set of go-to staff: Any senior expert, any technical specialist, any analyst located in any office in the firm is a potential member of your project team. What a benefit to have so many talented, capable staff available. And yet, there is not a dedicated group of people always guaranteed to work on the projects you lead simply because they sit down the hall. Kittelson project managers build their teams for each project based on technical skills and expertise people have, staff growth plans, and current and long-term staff availability; not on proximity. - Relationships and team commitment built on trust: Project managers must invest in cultivating relationships with people to thrive at Kittelson. There is not a hierarchy to mandate staff function in the way you like. Project managers thrive with teams when they lead with humility and an openness to the ideas of the team, when they provide real-time feedback to staff so that those people know what specifically they are doing that matters for the client and so that staff understand how to do better. This takes effort from PMs. - Growth and promotion: There are 6 staff levels for engineer/planner employees with job descriptions that are openly available. There are not specific tracks to follow with boxes to check for promotion. To realize professional growth at Kittelson, ultimately an individual must have a vision for her/himself that they articulate, and continually revisit, with leadership and their internal coach. - Openness and trust are key: Kittelson intentionally does not have a binder of policies nor extensive structure that would make sure things are “just so.” People must be willing to speak about what is on their mind, ask questions to gain insight, and listen to others. Being part of Kittelson calls us to look outside ourselves and focus our attention toward other people. When people do that, our own needs end up being met.

3 people found this review helpful
  5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company!

Feb 25, 2021 - Transportation Analyst in Orlando, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. Great health insurance options 2. Flexible timesheet - bi weekly timesheet allows you to work say 50/30 so that you can take some time off without actually using your PTO. 3. You have the ability to work on projects that you are interested in as you can approach different project managers and express interest. 4. Warm and friendly colleagues 5. Leadership is open to learning and listening to employees

Cons

1. 95% utilization is a little high for entry level employees considering the fact that there are many other meetings that may take up time. You generally will have enough work to meet this target but it may give you the pressure to work past 40 hours to be able to meet the utilization target and have all other meetings as well. This is something you should be aware of. 2. You have to be proactive in finding work from project managers - if this isn't something you're great at, this might be a problem. *In your first year, you will be paired with project managers but you are responsible for getting work from then on.

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee

Wonderful group of professionals

Jan 15, 2021 - Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Top level staff developing innovative solutions for communities

Cons

None to share. Wonderful company.

1 person found this review helpful
  7. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Minorities and diverse individuals need not apply?

Dec 26, 2020 - Analyst in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company is great for and excepting of people just like them. If you can "fake it till you make it" you'll do just fine and some people are much better at that than I am and this company is better suited for people like that. Although my experience as a minority and being treated like a minority was unacceptable this company is great for those people that "fit" into the culture that they have so strongly established. Seriously if you fit it you're golden if you do not you're expelled. There are nice people that work there. It's a tight knit family.

Cons

The extensive interview process is to "find the right fit." While that sounds appropriate for the employer and employee you get the real understanding of what that means once you're hired. I was expected and told that I need to eat lunch in the lunchroom even others did not. Even to the extent that my mentor took me out to lunch to tell me I should be eating in the lunchroom and I should be attending all the company activities, which were culturally specific/limited and at times expensive for those who are more financial constrained. They have this DISC assessment that everyone takes and tells you what's your work style, how you best communicate, and other similar topics. I had taken the assessment and set up a meeting with my coach and mentor letting them know I wanted to go over the results and find common ground with their assessments. Because at this point I'm desperately trying to fit in and understand my place, which thanks to this job I learned that as a minority I was doing that all my life and it always resulted in me feeling like defeated and alone. During that meeting, which my mentor did not bother to bring their assessment results, I was told by my mentor that this meeting isn't about them understanding me it's about getting on board and literally told me that I need to assimilate. As someone who was from a different culture, ethnicity, and financial status this was devastating to be told. The company has a very specific culture and that culture tends to lack minorities and those who question the status quo. Although told you can navigate your own career from my experience any ideas and suggestions on improvement and organization was easily dismissed at each attempt to discuss. From my perspective, if you're not one of them or cannot turn into one of them you are made to feel like and treated like virus and you will be pushed out. On a separate note, there are a lot of family members who work there and several keep their maiden names so it's not right away obvious. Many people hired were interns first (or in my opinion pre-groomed/pre-vetted) or knew someone at the company. It's a tight knit family.

8 people found this review helpful

Kittelson & Associates Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback on this platform. Your comments are both important and sobering to read. It is incredibly important to Kittelson to be a place where every employee can bring their full self to work and have their perspectives be embraced. We are truly sorry for your experience in our organization. As with many in our country, the past year was one of introspective reflection, learning, and growth on the topic of diversity, equity and inclusion. Through launching Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), initiating open firmwide dialogue to better understand one another’s experiences, and reviewing our hiring activities through a diversity lens, we continue to learn and better support each person who makes up our firm. We are committed to using your comments, along with the conversations and activities we are currently undertaking, to help us improve. Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback. For anyone reading this review who has questions about diversity, equity, and inclusion at Kittelson, we welcome you to start a dialogue with us. Brandon Nevers, President/CEO

8. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

The Company Cares

Jul 21, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company cares about employee growth, well being, and safety, cares about the environment, cares about communities it works in, and of course cares about its work and doing an excellent job. It is a flat organization so places a lot of trust in employees, and so necessarily provides great autonomy and decision making to employees. No micro managing. There is a good mix of senior, mid, and junior level employees. It also provides excellent opportunities to interns, providing meaningful work and mentoring.

Cons

None that come to mind - not really lacking in any areas.

2 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Incredible firm. Brilliant people. Always opportunities for growth.

Jun 29, 2020 - Planner in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Kittelson provides a world of opportunities. If you're an engineer but want to do more planning, you can do that. If you do not have experience in an area where you'd like to grow, you can easily reach out to experts in those areas to learn or leverage their knowledge. Learning and growth are heavily supported and encouraged at Kittelson, and generally speaking, the people who work at the firm are brilliant. It's a very supportive work culture and nice to work with such deep thinkers. Kittelson is doing interesting and important work, and those who work at Kittelson are passionate about the work they do.

Cons

Not a con, but you must be prepared to take advantage of the opportunities and carve your own path. Kittelson has a flat structure, so you will not have a boss handing you work (or limiting your opportunities). You're provided with support, but ultimately your growth is a result of your work. That said, you also have to find your own work- life balance. If you have the tendency to go all in, this might mean learning how to prioritize opportunities and say no to some opportunities that come your way.

4 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

My experience Working at Kittelson for about one year

Sep 2, 2019 - Transportation Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

At Kittelson I’m able to guide the direction I’m growing in as a young professional with the support of experienced professionals in my field. I’m able to work on projects that strengthen my existing skills and that challenge me to find solutions using new skills and tools. In my current role, I’m continuously learning and practicing what it means to be a life-long learner and a better professional. The firm’s values are shared early in the interviewing process and continue to show as I work with others to meet clients' needs and find innovative transportation solutions to a variety of challenges. I find it easy to reach out to folks across the firm when I need assistance on a task, and I find myself learning from others on a regular basis and holding myself to a higher standard because of everyone I work with. I’m enjoying the learning, support, and innovation that I have at Kittelson.

Cons

Kittelson is very much a company made of self-driven people who do not need a lot of guidance to schedule their own time and dedicate how their workday will look. KAI follows a “flat structure” where there is no direct supervisor. You must manage your schedule and be proactive in assisting to move the project forward. It can be difficult to work at Kittelson if you are expecting someone to direct what you must do each day, or if you cannot be flexible about working more than eight hours a day based on the project deadline and clients’ needs. You will have to set your own work-life balance because everyone’s schedule varies and no one will be setting that for you in any way. You cannot expect there to be one specific way of doing things at the firm. While there is a lot of creativity and innovation at the firm, you will dictate to what extent you glean from those things or tune out based on the workload you’re juggling.

5 people found this review helpful