Kitty Hawk Kites Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
John Harris

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Lead Hang Gliding Instructor"

Former Employee - Lead Instructor in Nags Head, NC
    Former Employee - Lead Instructor in Nags Head, NC

I worked at Kitty Hawk Kites full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Company has plenty of extra work available either taking lessons out on the sand dunes, working with shipping in the warehouse, driving kayaks to and from other parts of the island.
    -Instructors and bosses turn into family, brothers, and sisters. Very rare in companies.
    -Can have lots of downtime and flight time
    -Company trains you how to be a pilot and instructor free
    -Has instructor housing available for rent

Cons

-Possibility to be injured if you don't take care of yourself
    -Can be over worked if other instructors get injured
    -Are out in the sun for 6-8 hours with 120 degree sand
    -Need to budget to have enough for rent, food, beer, social life
    -Raises only occur if you return every year

Advice to Management

None - John Harris, Bruce Weaver, and Andy Torrington are the best upper management crew. Don't change a thing.

2. "Incredible Summer Job"

Former Employee - Hang Gliding Instructor in Kitty Hawk, NC
    Former Employee - Hang Gliding Instructor in Kitty Hawk, NC

I worked at Kitty Hawk Kites full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most fun I've ever had while getting paid. Hang gliding school management invested a lot of time and resources into training employees to teach and fly. Great beach culture, great coworkers, laid-back atmosphere. Learned a lot about hang gliding, spent a lot of time at the beach.

Cons

Weather is unpredictable and occasionally insane. Many instructors get briefly taken out by unavoidable stress injuries. Pay is not great, housing is not great- however, this is a summer beach job, so it's tolerable

Advice to Management

Invest more energy into clear communication with employees, especially when happy or unhappy with quality of their work

3. "Awesome summer job with obx benefits"

I worked at Kitty Hawk Kites part-time

Pros

Obx is awesome
    Free hang gliding
    Fun

Cons

Limited opportunities for advancement

Advice to Management

kite flying tutorials during on boarding

4. "Great summer and awesome co-workers!"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Waves, NC
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Waves, NC

I have been working at Kitty Hawk Kites full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

awesome co-workers, nice bosses, relaxed atmosphere, great kiting, many adventure opportunities, unbelievable location, reasonable housing

Cons

didn't want to leave, far away from supermarket

5. "They bring people from other countries and put them in shacks"

Former Employee - Intern in Avon, NC
    Former Employee - Intern in Avon, NC

I worked at Kitty Hawk Kites full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good discount in store and on excursions
    Great people in the obx
    Work life balance
    Living in the obx was great

Cons

I was hired at KHK as an intern. They had me come down two days before I would start work and get settled in. The house they put me in had yet to be cleaned, cockroaches where everywhere. I am lucky since I am from the US but if someone from England, Ireland, or any other country these people recruit from came in they would have no idea what to do. I cleaned up the house using my own money resources and time because I knew in the next coming weeks I would be getting foreign roommates. I bought them bedding, towels, fans for their rooms since our home was not equipped with AC, and stocked our fridge for the first couple days until they got settled to make it an easier transition. This should not have been on me to do but the staff at KHK simply do not care.

I then was forced to drive around a company vehicle that the breaks did not work in, that obviously had not been cared for.

I just felt as though I was under appreciated, and that these people con young adults, tell them how great their experience will be, then they put them in awful living situations, make them pay rent, and don't care for them.

Advice to Management

Have an actual heart and pride in the company you have created. Stop lying to people about how it's going to be when they get there.

6. "Digital Marketing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kill Devil Hills, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kill Devil Hills, NC

I have been working at Kitty Hawk Kites full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Our Marketing Director is the best boss ever. Gives you the tools and advice to get any job done but doesn't micro-manage you. He will offer to help if you need it but you have the space to work. Love our marketing team, everyone gets along great and we get a lot of work done.

Cons

Lots of hours, Work: Home life balance is tough at times

7. "Retail Management Intern"

Former Employee - Retail Management Intern in Manteo, NC
    Former Employee - Retail Management Intern in Manteo, NC

Pros

I worked for KHK this past summer at their vendor at the Lost Colony in Fort Raleigh. The atmosphere was really cool and the people I was surrounded by were nice as well.

Cons

Mosquitoes were bad, I worked alone, the hours were strange (due to showtime though), and the drive was long

8. "Summer experience"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder in Corolla, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder in Corolla, NC

I worked at Kitty Hawk Kites (Less than a year)

Pros

Love working with students from different countries. Everybody's nice and friendly (crew and managers). It's a great experience and it's fun during the summer.

Cons

It's a little boring in the end of the season because it's getting slow with no tourists.

Advice to Management

I worked with Sammy, Kirsten and Matt during the summer in Corolla. They are all nice with the students, helpful and provide a great customer service.

9. "Poorly run"

Former Employee - Key Holder in Corolla, NC
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Corolla, NC

I worked at Kitty Hawk Kites full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not many - generous discounts on select items chance to try out activities but given little time to do so

Cons

No home/work balance whatsoever, the owner John Harris is very demeaning to managers as ignores "lesser" employees, moves management around to different stores on a whim so it's difficult to build trust or train staff, buying department argues with and ignores store staff who try to share ideas from customers too many cheezy t-shirts and souvenirs which make the stores an overpriced version of every other OBX beach store, no communication and finally not a single minority in any management or corporate capacity the few that are hired are students from overseas or warehouse temps overall this is a company that does not respect their frontline staff and leave a ba taste for outer banks businesses as a whole

Advice to Management

LISTEN to employees from all areas show a bit of respect and let staff enjoy what you have to offer. Belittling and ignoring employees only works to lower you sales. Encourage growth for those who try and would like to stay and get rid of the stale buying team

Kitty Hawk Kites Response

Dec 7, 2016 – Human Resources Director

Thank you for your feedback. First, let us say that we truly do try to listen to every voice. Kitty Hawk Kites holds weekly manager meetings in which every manager is given the opportunity to provide... More

10. "Buyer"

Pros

You are at the Beach

Cons

You are working all the time

Advice to Management

Keep to a 40 hour work week

Kitty Hawk Kites Response

Dec 7, 2016 – Human Resources Director

Thank you for your feedback. Like any season environment, employment is typically a “word hard, play hard”scenario. We expect staff to work hard to allow for the company and our employees to continue... More