Kiva Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated 19 Oct 2019

3.7
Kiva CEO Neville Crawley
Neville Crawley
Pros
  • "Friendly, transparant and flat work environment with a professional atmosphere(in 13 reviews)

• "Great opportunity to really make an impact while learning about the microfinance industry(in 11 reviews)

1. "Intern"

I worked at Kiva

Pros

Great people, mission, overall structure. You feel like you’re making a true difference.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Kiva2019-10-19

"New management destroyed the company"

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kiva full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-- Kiva used to be an amazing place to work -- incredible team, warm culture, passionate about the "old" mission: "Connecting people through lending to alleviate poverty". -- Strong brand.

Cons

-- The founder stepped away as CEO a few years ago. After a long transition period, another CEO was appointed by the board, but lasted less than 2 years. Then there was another long transition period, and then another new CEO was appointed. The new CEO has no non-profit experience. And the board did not really consult existing employees before making the appointment (again). So there has been a lot of CEO transition..., with the accompanying disruption and lack of clarity. -- More importantly, the new CEO has destroyed the culture of Kiva, and misunderstood what was special about Kiva's business. He changed Kiva's mission to remove the part about "connecting people", which was Kiva's unique selling point. And he objected to one of Kiva's values being "Respect". Literally half the staff has turned over since the new CEO arrived. -- After all the radical shake-ups, strategy changes and mission update, growth dropped in 2018 vs. 2017. I guess this is what happens when all the staff leave.

Advice to Management

-- Recapture what was magic about Kiva in the past -- the incredibly warm culture, and focus on connecting borrowers and lenders... -- ...While also up-levelling the team and improving the website / business execution. You can do both.

Kiva2019-07-23

August 1, 2019CFO & Global Head of Operations

Thanks for your feedback. I’m sorry that as a valued alumni you aren’t as excited as I am about Kiva’s new mission to expand financial access to help underserved communities thrive. We definitely do this through kiva.org the platform that does connect borrowers and lenders as well as other new impact lines that will allow us to serve even more people globally. Thanks for the contributions that you made to Kiva during your long tenure and I wish you the best.

3. "Great learning experience"

Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kiva full-time for less than a year

Pros

exactly what you need from an internship

Cons

you will not earn any money

Advice to Management

pay your workers please

Kiva2019-04-12

April 13, 2019CFO & Global Head of Operations

Thanks for the review and advice. I know you’ve had a resume enhancing experience and I’m happy to help you with your job search after your internship.

"If it wasn't for the mission..."

I have been working at Kiva full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Staff and interns, especially long timers, are passionate, supportive and kind. Impactful organization that has done well and has new, exciting initiatives. Very strong internship and fellowship program.

Cons

Leadership - they don't seem to truly hear the voices of the staff. There's a lack of value and appreciation - not appreciating who has been there and done the work before they swept in. Hiring from the business world can be great - we need diversity and strong skills - but operating like a corporation in a cold way is not what we came for. There's a total lack of trust in the leadership. They get rid of people,... who they say aren't needed, then hire for the roles again. This has happened multiple times in different departments.

Kiva2019-03-13

March 29, 2019CFO & Global Head of Operations

Thank you so much for your review. While it is hard to hear, I appreciate the spirit in which it was provided. Kiva is going through a lot of amazing changes and transformations. We are in the process of launching many new game changing products to create a financially inclusive world and as we all know, change is often difficult. I would love to grab coffee to see how I can best support you in this transition. I hope you reach out. pam@kiva.org

"Intern"

Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Kiva part-time

Pros

Amazing place to work at!

Cons

Small company, little room for growth.

Kiva2019-02-14

February 20, 2019CFO & Global Head of Operations

Thanks for your feedback. I'm sorry that you didn't feel there was room for growth at kiva. May I ask you to reach out to shana@Kiva.org to share specifics about your experience since most interns feel like there's a tremendous amount of growth during their time at kiva.

"Cocky leadership team"

I have been working at Kiva full-time for more than a year

Pros

Kiva is an amazing organization with a great mission and vision; not to mention its impact. High calibre of talented colleagues all over the world Great location and office

Cons

The 'new' CEO and the leadership team are incredibly cocky. They are in a tearing hurry to get rid of everything that is 'old' instead of honoring it and building on it. This has led to deep discontent within the organization, that has led many to question what is valued around here (despite our new values).

Advice to Management

A little humility would go a long way.. you can and must make changes for Kiva to have an even bigger impact. Evolve the new, more impactful Kiva in a way that is humble, mindful and respectful - these don't have to mutually exclusive. You don't have to trash the 'old' Kiva at every opportunity you get. Doing so will help you win real employee engagement and commitment, and help us have an even greater impact all... around the world, which I know is what we are all working towards.

Kiva2019-03-14

March 29, 2019CFO & Global Head of Operations

Thanks for your review. I'm truly sorry that you experience the new leadership team as being cocky. I'd love to learn more from you directly about what you are experiencing. What I know is that this team is deeply committed to creating a financially inclusive world and is working quite hard to create it and we absolutely need an inspired and engaged team to make the biggest impact. Please reach out to me to share directly how we can be even more effective. I'd love to hear. pam@kiva.org

"Awesome organization"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kiva full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people who are talented, humble and hard-working; opportunities to contribute and grow in a lot of different ways; exciting new projects for the org; and a good benefits package.

Cons

As a non-profit, the pay is obviously less than most for-profit tech salaries in the area. There was also a fair amount of turnover in 2018, but I feel more confident in Kiva's future growth than ever.

Kiva2019-01-17

January 21, 2019CFO & Global Head of Operations

Thanks so much for your wonderful post. I am thrilled to hear your excitement and confidence in the future of Kiva and our ability to expand financial access to help underserved communities thrive.

"Was great way back when"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pawtucket, RI

I worked at Kiva full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Based on my experiences ten years ago, it was an incredible organization to work for with really cool people.

Cons

Once they started running into long-term funding problems, it became an inhospitable place to work. Bummer

Kiva2018-12-07

January 21, 2019CFO & Global Head of Operations

Thanks for your review. I hope you see the impact of the new Kiva strategy in our focus to expand financial access to help underserved communities thrive.

9. "Intern"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kiva full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing people and learning experiences. If you have never had a real job this will teach you everything you need to know for when you enter the workforce.

Cons

Unpaid....a lot of work and responsibility yet still unpaid. I understand that its a nonprofit but they are very dependent on their interns which isnt sustainable.

Kiva2018-11-27

January 21, 2019CFO & Global Head of Operations

Thanks so much for your post. Thanks so much for your hard work at Kiva. We are definitely reviewing our intern strategy going forward based on feedback from you and other interns. I’m happy that most of our interns experience such a resume enhancing experience at Kiva. We would love to chat further with you, please reach out to shana@kiva.org directly. I know she would appreciate discussing your experience.

"Awesome people"

I worked at Kiva full-time

Pros

The people you work with

Cons

Communication as the organization grows and changes

Kiva2018-11-06

January 21, 2019CFO & Global Head of Operations

Thanks so much for your review. Kiva has recently implemented many ways to create more communication and employee engagement and we are excited about our future.

Found 72 reviews