Kiva "microfinance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Kiva Employee Reviews about "microfinance"

Updated Mar 15, 2018

4.0
Kiva Chief Executive Officer Neville Crawley
Neville Crawley
Pros
  • "Friendly, transparant and flat work environment with a professional atmosphere(in 13 reviews)

• "Great opportunity to really make an impact while learning about the microfinance industry(in 11 reviews)

Reviews about "microfinance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Portfolio Operations Intern"

Former Intern - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kiva for more than a year

Pros

- Incredible company culture and amazing/mission-driven/smart people to work with - Portfolio Operations team in particular has a great director and associates that help interns develop and grow their professional skills immensely - For an intern role, you get a lot of high responsibilities and duties - If you are proactive, you can quickly get working on cool ad-hoc cross-functional projects other than BAU stuff - Having intern classes of about 40-50 interns provides you with a community of peers that over the course of six months become very close friends - Interns are provided with resources (workshops, mock-interviews, microfinance curriculum) to improve their professional skills

Cons

The fact that it's unpaid is the only con

Kiva2018-03-15

Kiva Response

September 24, 2018CFO & Global Head of Operations

Thanks for your review.

2. "Kiva Fellow"

I worked at Kiva

Pros

Great opportunity to really make an impact while learning about the microfinance industry.

Cons

Low stipend, however it is sufficient enough to make ends meet in host country.

Kiva2018-02-24

Kiva Response

September 20, 2018CFO & Global Head of Operations

Thanks so much for your review. I appreciate your thoughts on the stipend.

Continue reading
  3. "Amazing place to work!"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kiva

Pros

- Meet the most diverse and amazing group of individuals under one roof - Make an impact in more than 80 countries around the world - Support local entrepreneurs from Oakland to New York - Great learning opportunity as it involves not just microfinance but also very tech-focused products

Cons

- Not many job openings - Not much structured promotions or career growth

Kiva2017-08-29
  4. "Kiva Fellow"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Kiva

Pros

Fellowship is a great opportunity to work in microfinance/social impact for a short amount of time in a new geography. Each fellowship is different, so if you find a partner or location that suits you, it can be an incredible experience.

Cons

Because the fellowship was only 4 months, it was difficult to actually implement a project and see it from start to finish. I also knew this going in but at the time I was a fellow, the programme was completely unpaid - which can be demotivating, and difficult to come to terms with when you are working as hard as employees.

Kiva2017-01-20

"Best Internship Experience"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kiva for less than a year

Pros

The Kiva internship opportunity is the definition of unique, non-traditional and rewarding. Your work and performance will be highly praised throughout your 5 month period. In my experience, I found there was no hierarchy of positions within my department, but rather a sense of equality, cooperation and engagement. As an intern, I had the space to pitch my own ideas and share my opinion in certain areas. Kiva gives interns the opportunity to spend the day in other departments to get a sense of how the organization is run and organized. The internship also gives individuals an inside perspective into the microfinance world and how social impact is leveraged on a local and global scale. Might I also mention that Kiva is a work hard, play hard organization dedicated to their mission to alleviate poverty and push the boundaries of the social impact sphere. The individuals you find at this organization are passionate, driven, talented, and fun loving. You immediately build relationships here because everyone is deeply involved and interested in fostering an innovative and fun culture!

Cons

-The internships are unpaid -Most internships don't turn into a full time position unless you're there at the right time and a position opens up in your department

Kiva2015-02-03
  6. "Part of a bi-yearly 20 person strong intern class at Kiva HQ."

Current Intern - Marketing Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kiva for less than a year

Pros

This is not a traditional internship! As a nonprofit Kiva relies heavily on its volunteer staff, thus interns are treated like full-time employees. This means you have the autonomy to pitch ideas, oversee projects, and share your vision with the Kiva board of directors! The internship provides an amazing opportunity to lean the ins and outs of microfinance, social entrepreneurship, and the nonprofit sphere. The employees are awesome, the office is fun, and there are always one or two dogs hanging around.

Cons

It is highly unlikely that this internship will turn into a full-time position. That being said, Kivans do want to see you score the job of your dreams and go out of their way to faciltiate professional connections.

Kiva2015-01-07
  7. "It's been a pleasure being an intern at Kiva."

Current Intern - Kiva Zip in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kiva for less than a year

Pros

The office environment is very friendly yet productive. Everyone really cares about microfinance and does their best to contribute to this mission. There is also a great emphasis on making connections between borrowers and lenders.

Cons

If you're the type of person who needs a lot of guidance throughout your internship, then this might not be the place for you. You'll be trained adequately of course, but it's up to you to figure out how you want to do things from there. This is a great chance for you to challenege yourself and work independently.

Kiva2014-10-23
  8. "Summer Fellow"

Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Kiva for less than a year

Pros

Meaningful and innovative work, allows you to get a better understanding of the microfinance world

Cons

Lack of funding - only office is in San Francisco so it was hard to get structure and connects in New York established

Kiva2014-06-23
  9. "Kiva Fellow"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Kiva

Pros

Very smart passionate people and as part of the fellows program you get the best exposure to global microfinance instituitions

Cons

small stipend, depending on the partner you work with you might not have a great experience

Kiva2013-03-14
  10. "Challenging, interesting at a progressive socent"

Former Intern - Kiva Fellow

I worked at Kiva for less than a year

Pros

Lots of autonomy given to fellows regarding how to execute the workplan and making suggestions Big fan of the strategic, data-driven approach they take towards the organisation and its products - in short, a non-profit operating in some ways like a for-profit company Working with many people who are passionate about international development and microfinance Very flat organisational structure and senior management are highly accessible

Cons

Not necessarily a con per se, but the level of enthusiasm espoused by some of the employees may make it a bit blind to the organisation's own weaknesses.

Kiva2014-06-03

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 11 reviews