Kiwi Crate Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Great people and positive environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Kiwi Crate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product
    Small team of nice people
    Extra vacation if you work for a long time
    Flexible schedule

Cons

Pay rates lower than average

Advice to Management

Keep going, you are doing a great product!

"Worst job experience of my career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Kiwi Crate (Less than a year)

Pros

I like interacting with all the children

Cons

I'm actually surprised at some of the higher rated reviews and suspect they are fake as they were so far from my experience Upper management is very unorganized, and even worse, is disrespectful to staff. To make matters worse, it's hard to get paid. But perhaps my biggest problem is that there are some ethical problems with Kiwi Crate. I observed that the managing team would stoop to low, shady activities to get ahead of the competition. Even worse is the way they try to manipulate their customers. A very tense place to work based on a culture of dishonesty and fear.

Advice to Management

Put you people and your customers first and don't hyper-focus on the bottom line

"Collaborative and exciting learning experience for the industrious employee."

I have been working at Kiwi Crate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Lots of collaboration and inter-departmental experience: learn a lot from all fields regardless of your department: marketing/aquisition, biz dev, operations, and product dev.
    - Trust: if you are a proven employee, you can take on projects you want to do and they will give you ownership of it, lots of empowerment.
    - Flexibility: as obstacles or opportunities present themselves, there is often a need to adapt, this company adapts and responds quickly.
    - Communication: clear communication from executive team on direction and focus.
    - People: all the employees are hard working and supportive of one another, collaborations are easy and very effective. Lots of smart people.
    - Proud: very customer service oriented, the product is high quality and the goal is to delight the customer. Lots of positive feedback via email and Facebook.
    - Fun: lots of social people, company off-sites, team building events, happy hours as a company
    - Convenient: 15 min walk from Caltrain, in central location in MV, delivered/subsidized lunch options everyday (with company paid lunches once a week)

Cons

- Startup seating arrangement: all desks in one room
    - Longer hours: expected to be checking emails evenings/weekends
    - Demanding: many time consuming side projects present themselves outside of normal workflow

Advice to Management

I believe that hiring more people to keep up with the amount of work generated by product development and marketing would increase productivity toward growth. The more entry-level people that are employed to take on the side projects would allow your more senior or experienced staff to focus on the main products. More clarity on growth or career opportunities would be appreciated to give your staff something to work toward.

Side note, subsidize a little more of the lunch cost, it makes a big difference.

"Creative company with people who are passionate about the product + their customers"

I have been working at Kiwi Crate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people here are smart, creative and collaborative. Everyone works hard and has fun doing it! They conduct a lot of testing and use the data to make informed decisions. I think that the company priorities and direction are clear, people are held accountable, and the teams are results driven.

Some of the perks I enjoy here are:
    - Lunches are brought in, makes it easy
    - Flexibility, lots of parents
    - Working with kids, involving kids
    - Team events that involve food + team building

Cons

It's a fast-paced work environment and sometimes the strategy changes. People have to be willing to adapt as well.

"WORK HERE!! The best career decision I've ever made!"

I have been working at Kiwi Crate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great educational products for kids
    - Incredibly Intelligent upper management with an immense amount of experience
    - Transparency throughout the organization, team meetings once a week
    - Amazing colleagues and work environment, look forward to coming to work every day
    - Great learning experience

Cons

- Need more hires in supporting roles

Advice to Management

Keep the transparency high, leverage the wave of excitement around our products and continue to invest in new and current employees!

"Creative and unique company with lots of great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Kiwi Crate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team is the best part about working at Kiwi Crate - they are smart, talented at what they do, and all care about the mission of helping to encourage creativity and learning in kids. It's a rare opportunity to work in the valley where the company has a startup culture, is growing rapidly, has a solid business model (recurring subscription revenue), and a great mission!

The management team is also very focused on the company culture so we have events like Office Olympics which can be anything from building the best paper airplane to dodgeball on trampoline.

Cons

Like most startups, hours can be long at times. Sometimes there are "fires" to fight which adds to stress, but that's pretty typically of most companies I've worked at.

Advice to Management

Keep your focus on the company culture

"Worst professional experience of my entire life--just absolutely terrible place to work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Kiwi Crate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For all of those who love working with children, other working parents, and creative teams focused on exciting products--BEWARE of Kiwi Crate! They talk a big talk about their focus on delightful creative materials, and I couldn't have possibly felt more decieved after mere weeks in the office. I can't say one of my "pros" for taking the job actually held up.

Cons

Staff members work like drones in a silent, tense office environment (interrupted by bizarre, obnoxious "bonding" activities), and are supported by a never-ending loop of contract employees. I've met several people who were told they were contract-to-hire, only to be let go the minute they began submitting invoices and asking to meet with managers. Absolutely terrible founders/management--they make getting paid a humilating, pleading experience. The few talented+friendly staff members are strecthed so thin, they have no positive influence on the abysmal office morale. Almost everything is sourced from China, and their disorganization is baffling (and far worse than any other startup I've ever worked at). The founder is the most difficult, disrespectful manager I've ever encountered. Literally 2% of their time and effort was actually spent discussing child development and appropriate materials...how did this collection of people put a children's company together?? There is nowhere to go at this place--I don't believe they will ever grow their subscription service from where it is (unless they start focusing on the needs of their target audience, and ditch top management). I'm all for paying dues and the go-to-the-action startup attitude--Kiwi Crate is, bottom line, just a miserable place to work.

Advice to Management

Stop decieving new hires about the terms of their position, and find a better way to pay contractors/staff. Force managers and cofounders to take some sort of training (social skills, professional behavior, business management--everything!), and work on office transparency and communication. Plan more effectively, and be more careful with potentially toxic materials you're shipping to children. Mainly, I hope no one has to go through what many of us experienced. No one deserves the life this company gives you!

9. "Great product, mission and people"

I have been working at Kiwi Crate full-time

Pros

In addition to great product, mission and people, the company is collaborative and the opportunities for continued growth are significant.

Cons

The focus on customers and brand can sometimes lead to slower decision making than you'd expect given company size and mean there is a very high bar for quality.

"Cute product, tense environment"

Pros

Work directly on products
    Free lunch twice a week with assistance on other days
    Talented, creative team
    Product is cute

Cons

Too much work and not enough time (or you work whatever hours it takes to get it done)
    Micromanagement
    Lack of organization/process
    Not all departments or employees are treated equally, which creates a tense environment. Like others mentioned, it's ironic for a children's toy company.

Advice to Management

Value your employees and their time and ideas. You need them to make all of your ambitions possible.

"Unexpected Environment"

I worked at Kiwi Crate full-time

Pros

- Team has talent
    - Flexible hours (if you live far away you can reschedule your hours so that you don't get stuck in traffic which is nice)
    - Free lunch twice a week is a nice perk
    - Product is a great concept

Cons

- Clear favoritism for certain co-workers
    - Bottlenecking is an everyday occurrence with the amount of work expected per person
    - No room for collaboration

Looking at previous posts I can just copy and paste:
    - "Not a comfortable environment, everyone seems stressed, all the time"
    - "Approval process should be based on facts, market research vs feelings or opinions"
    - "High turnover rate so you have to pick up the slack when someone leaves until a new person is replaced"
    -"When someone is quitting they force them not to tell anyone until their final week. Difficult to transition their duties to other teammates. Everyone left scrambling."
    - "Micromanaging style"

Advice to Management

To go off of another post, its ironic that a children's toy company has such a stiff and tense environment.