Kixeye Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kixeye CEO Will Harbin
Will Harbin

Pros
  • I love the catered lunches (good restaurant choices) and the facilities are pretty nice (in 9 reviews)

• There are some really smart people working here (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • most upper management are horrible and unorganized (in 7 reviews)

• Higher ups make poor decisions and the attitude of the CEO creates a hostile work environment (in 5 reviews)

"Quite literally the best company to work for in the world"

Current Employee - Manager of Customer Support in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager of Customer Support in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kixeye full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Brilliant people, amazing and fun culture, takes great care of its people, focused leadership.

Cons

Could be better at work-life balance, but that's sort of what you sign up for with a startup.

Advice to Management

We all heart you.

"Making games that we like ourselves"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kixeye full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Makes awesome games with a low tolerance for office politics and BS. The games are original instead of imitations of things already done, and they don't sequel things to death or make "last year's hit only better". The focus is on getting things done and getting them done well, and they don't answer to any outside publishers' or investors' schedules.

Cons

Cons? There's cons to working at KIXEYE? About the only con of working at KIXEYE is that nobody spells KIXEYE with all caps like they're supposed to! :P

Advice to Management

Don't forget what got you here. Keep making games that are awesome, keep doing things your own way and out-executing everyone in the business.

"Best job of my career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kixeye full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great products
    Great perks
    Nice office
    Lots of smart people

Simply put, I think a lot of other gaming companies in North America either don't get it or simply don't have a passion for making good games. Especially in the "social' space.

Cons

Hours can be long during crunch times.
    We've grown fast and made a few hiring mistakes.

Advice to Management

Don't sell your soul and don't sacrifice quality for scale

"Hard work. Rewarding"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kixeye full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart people
    Good games
    Great office
    Perks: free food, gym, "unlimited" vacation

This is only my second job since graduating from college, but I certainly like it a lot more than my last. I'd say the culture is kind of made for me - pretty much everyone shares my sense of humor, which is weird. The games that they were already making brought me here, but the game I'm working on is making me stay. I can see myself here for a really long time.

Cons

Long hours
    Can be aggressive at times
    A lot of new faces

I've heard a few co-workers talk about a "culture of fear". I'm slightly on the fence about it because I think there should be a bit of fear around missing dates and schedules. Honestly, I think the people that complain about that want a safer work environment and are better suited to a larger, slower moving company or maybe a position that isn't as critical to product delivery.

Advice to Management

Add more positive reinforcement. Celebrate victories. Put more game genres in the pipeline.

6. "Awesome place to work and learn."

Current Employee - Gameplay Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Gameplay Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kixeye full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to move laterally, and grow into new roles.

Cons

The company requires some serious drive.

7. "Great place, but very hectic"

Current Employee - Skip in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Skip in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kixeye full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

"benefits package info goes here" +_ good people, great location, good compensation, macbooks all around, drinks / snacks. Company is maturing, but that startup feel is there.

I'm loving it here !

Cons

Fear - there has been a few terminations which make the job security feel a bit unsafe

Advice to Management

More communications from management to company with news, announcements, .....

8. "A great place to work!"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kixeye full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is really dedicated to making great products and providing a good life for their staff, they don't just pay lip service to either of those goals.

Cons

If you can't handle a fast-moving environment, this might not be the place for you.

"Move fast, work hard, learn a lot and have a blast"

Current Employee - Senior Gameplay Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Gameplay Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kixeye full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Disclosure: I felt compelled to write a review for KIXEYE after reading some of the bogus reviews here. Voluntary attrition is extremely low and I can think of one or maybe two people who have voluntarily left in the last 9 months that I know of. I very much appreciate that fact that the teams don't do improvement plans and are quick to get rid of someone toxic or who isn't pulling their weight. I relocated to San Francisco for this job, so maybe it's the culture in general in the area, but I appreciate it. There are obvious examples of people who misrepresented themselves during the interview process. You can find their stories here.

Anyway, coming from a much slower moving company I enjoy the speed in which we work. I feel like we are on the verge of something really great. I was working on one of the existing games and then moved to a new game not yet released. I can say it's exciting to see things progress and even if this was the worst work environment, I'd still want to stay and see this game delivered. Thankfully that's not the case and I love working with my team. I'm constantly challenged and I'm learning. After 12 years in the industry, I don't think I can do much better unless I was running my own company.

The sexism rumors are not true from what I have observed. There are certainly some engineers on my team who might lack tact and sufficient social skills who say awkward things, but I'd encourage people to check it out for themselves and realize it's a pretty accepting place. The CEO is an easy target because he is direct and opinionated and I'm sure he's rubbed more than a few the wrong way but I agree with most of the decisions he has made. I thought criticisms of him were warranted at first, but I realized he has a very dry sense of humor and doesn't have much of a filter so he says what's on his mind.

Anyway, the Pros:
    - Fun work
    - Learning a lot and challenged
    - Amazing team
    - Good pay and quarterly bonuses
    - Convenient office in downtown SF
    - "unlimited" vacation

Cons

- Work pace can be brutal. Have worked a few weekends here and there
    - Had a very bad experience with my former manager and management should have acted sooner - fortunately, he was terminated
    - The office is getting crowded.
    - Lot's of new faces - I don't know a lot of people outside of my team
    - The shared tech needs lots of work

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and more of it.

"If you are great at your job and constantly strive to improve, you will be rewarded and love your time here."

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kixeye full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm going to try to say things that have not already been said by most others. Technically, I would rate KIXEYE 4.5 stars, but as that is not an option I will round up.

Everyone is held accountable for their jobs. If you're not pulling your weight, you won't be here long. I greatly appreciate this as it eliminates weak links in departments. Some people think this contributes to an atmosphere of fear but if you are afraid for your job, you're probably not giving 100%.

I greatly enjoy the mandatory company Paintball outings every 6 months and the occasional renting out of the IMAX theater to see a movie. Each department also has their own regular outings to build teamwork.

Cons

Others have stated that the bar to get in is low, which is an utter lie. The bar to get in is set so high (sometimes frustratingly so) that I have seen many good candidates get rejected, including many of my personal references. The reason why this is a “Con” is that I've seen Management reject a candidate, that has been endorsed by several others that interviewed them first, with the thought that something better is going to come along. This causes positions to go many months without being filled, again with many qualified candidates getting passed over.

Basically, if you apply for a job here and get rejected, I would not take it too hard. You have to be something VERY specific to be accepted.

Advice to Management

Departments tend to work in isolated pods with only the senior management as the communication tool between them. This is a purposeful decision made by the CEO but I still question its validity. I would like to see more of a public exchange of ideas between departments.

11. "The best game company to work for"

I have been working at Kixeye full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Constant learning experiences both within your team and within the org as a whole
    - Hyper agile and responsive work force
    - Strong culture of accountability
    - Very transparent and high-performing senior management who care about employee growth
    - Passionate people everywhere
    - Teams are kept small

Cons

- Fast-paced work environment is not for everybody
    - The company has grown really (too?) fast
    - It has become impossible to know everybody in the company
    - The work environment can be a bit high-pressured

Advice to Management

- Cross-team collaboration can be improved