Klarna Reviews | Glassdoor

Klarna CEO and Founder Sebastian Siemiatkowski
Sebastian Siemiatkowski

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Middle management to VP level are just trying to keep their jobs so tend to be very political (in 10 reviews)

• There is a very high employee turn-over rate which hat has a negative effect on team building (in 5 reviews)

"Swedish people are cool"

Former Employee - Fraud Analyst in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Fraud Analyst in Columbus, OH

I worked at Klarna full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Klarna is an exceptional company to work for. It is completely unlike any company I've ever worked for especially in Columbus, OH. I really miss the atmosphere, the environment, and the culture. As a data person, it was very convenient to be able to reach out to various engineers to get things accomplished right away. Klarna has a lot of talented, intelligent people on the cutting edge of newest technologies and approaches to data. I am now at a large company that's been around for decades and we are just now moving in the same direction of Klarna in terms of improving our data infrastructure with speed and efficiency in mind. Working at Klarna was very challenging but it was really fun. I felt like I was going into work everyday trying to solve really cool puzzles. I traveled to Sweden and the country and people are just best in the world. There were several other perks as well. I enjoyed the job and the company very much.

Cons

Klarna has made a niche in the Nordics and other European markets and they are very aggressive in the U.S. Given their infancy into the U.S. market, it was very difficult gauge the success of the company. I dealt with fraud prevention strategies and it seems like the move to put chips in cards made the online space a haven for fraudsters which is difficult for companies like Klarna. This made the job very challenging especially if there were limited data points to work with. Despite this, I really miss the company and I feel like it was the best experience of my career.

Advice to Management

Kick the sales team in gear to show the world what Klarna has to offer!

"Good hype but not much success"

I worked at Klarna full-time

Pros

Successful in Europe and opportunities to visit Sweden

Cons

Lack of a clear strategy and changing management make it unstable in the US. US Management team has very limited lending experience

"Great people and upper management"

I have been working at Klarna full-time

Pros

Had a great culture and fun attmaspher until they fired a lot of people around Christmas.

Cons

Mostly everyone in customer service is a temp but you feel at times you are working hard for a job that they are never going to official bring you on for.

Advice to Management

To many talented individuals are leaving all if the time because not enough is done to keep them around. Something has to change so that one day the true mission of Klarna can be reality and not just an idea on a poster.

4. "Best of both worlds"

I have been working at Klarna full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large company that has a true global impact with significant upside in all markets. If you are driven and take initiative the opportunities are limitless

Cons

You need to be able to handle the chaos that sometimes comes with a startup and the rigor that comes from working in a highly regulated banking environment

Advice to Management

Focus on the basics of what got you here

"Fast paced, enjoyable co-workers, many opportunities"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Columbus, OH

I worked at Klarna full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In general a very team oriented company. Relaxed work environment. Startup feel.

Cons

Socially disconnected middle management. Lack of vertical communication within departments. Typical chaotic startup issues and fixes.

"Chaotic"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

Pros

Really energetic staff. Most people are pretty ambitious and hard working. From a consumer perspective, it really is a great product when used responsibly.

Cons

Engineering management is anti-intellectual and the higher up the org chart you go, the less tech savvy. The VP/Director-level or above hires pushed by the investors have all been expensive washouts with little to show for the investment. No proper individual contributor career ladder, which means more technically minded engineers need to go into management or leave the company to progress their careers.

Advice to Management

The B-players that hired the C-players are long gone and there's a lot of D-players hired by the C-players left around. Think hard about raising the bar.

"An amazing place to work and grow"

I have been working at Klarna full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very high pace and high growth environment where you can really have a tangible impact on your role and development opportunities. Additionally the culture is very close knit and has a family feel to it. I love working here and can't imagine myself working anywhere else.

In my view this is now a big company that has maintained a small company mentality which fosters innovation and a team spirit. I think that this is a great place to work whether you are in the beginning of your career or joining as a manager.

Cons

Because Klarna is moving very fast and expanding, the work environment can be hectic and a bit unstructured at times. This is not really a con per se but more of a circumstance that you have to adapt to if you want to work in a company that is going places. I suppose that this suits some people better than others but I love it.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring top of the line people and coming up with new products. :)

"Best place to work!"

Current Employee - Service Center Case Manager
    Current Employee - Service Center Case Manager

Pros

Team / family environment where people rally around each. Flexibility to research while working and answering phones to help you grow your knowledge to do your job to the best of your ability.

Cons

I think the only con is that when you with a group of hard working, intelligent people everyone feeds off of each other to do the best job they can do and sometimes we work too hard but its always worth it!

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing team / family environment we have. I absolutely love it here and every time someone asks me where I work I always get the biggest grin because I know I have the best job in the world.

"Sexist environment."

Current Employee - Customer Service
    Current Employee - Customer Service

I have been working at Klarna full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Young environment
    Start-up character
    If you like to continue "high-school" life, you will love it.

Cons

Quite immature work place.
    Not family friendly. You better dont have a private life to take care of or kids.
    Sexist environment. Sr/Top management sends girls working in less senior positions half naked selfies and creates very awkward situations. Even when escalating this to your manager they just do not care.
    High work pressure. Burn-out are usual business.
    High-turn over rate of employees. The company has problems in retaining top talents.

Advice to Management

Create less sexist environment.
    Exchange Managers who take advantage of their seniority
    Bring in more humble, motivating and aspirational leaders (Push seniority!)

Klarna Response

Sep 22, 2015 – VP, HR

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback, although of course it makes us sad. The fairness of the working environment at Klarna, and our culture, is very important to us and we are proud of the high level... More

"Great Team Atmosphere"

I have been working at Klarna full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Klarna is an exciting, fast growing company that's disrupting markets and hiring the best of the best on a global scale. Where some people may see managers as being inexperienced or the company growing too fast, these are oftentimes the same people that are not pleased with any job. In an organization that moves as fast as Klarna, people have to step up, adapt, and work as a team to get things done and be effective which is exactly what I find in the culture at Klarna.

Cons

I'm a positive person, so I see any "cons" as room for improvement. Every company has weaknesses, but how that company responds to their weaknesses and makes change happen is how I judge a company. Management at Klarna knows how to take criticism, listen to unhappy employees, and see issues and respond before they become detrimental.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring the best, keep dreaming big!