Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers Reviews | Glassdoor

"World's Best Internship"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Being an engineering fellow connects you with the most important people in Silicon Valley. I know for certain that my future is set up in ways that no other internship program could have done for me.

Cons

The Fellowship is too short, it was hard to create lasting relationships with the other fellows due to our distributed work locations and lack of transportation.

Advice to Management

Do not increase the size of the class further. It is challenging to get to know everyone already.

"An amazing program"

Former Intern - KPCB Fellow in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Intern - KPCB Fellow in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Got to meet some of the most incredible designers, engineers and entrepreneurs in the industry as well as a lot of the partners of KPCB. The program also had some fun social events like kayaking, paintballing and sailing!

Cons

No real cons to be honest

"KPCB Fellows Program"

Current Intern - Design Fellow in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Intern - Design Fellow in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I applied to the KPCB Fellowship program because it’s honestly the most unique program of its kind. There’s no other program that exists today that will allow students to work at industry changing startup companies, and at the same time allow you to have one on one interactions with the top tech CEOs in Silicon Valley. I've had many internships in the past, with some of the largest companies in the U.S.. However, the experience, and connections I made this summer through this program are priceless. I became friends with some of the most talented students in the world, and this was all thanks to KPCB for bringing us together. I can't express in words how life-changing this summer was. I recommend this program to any student interested in becoming immersed in the world of tech, design, and startups.

I had the chance to demonstrate my design, thinking, and business skills in front of top tech CEOs. They offered me their feedback, and how to improve. It's hard to think of any other internship that will allow you to have these types of interactions with such influential people in the industry. This is just one of the many benefits of being in this program. The things you will experience will be unlike any other job. The people you will meet will form life-long connections. Best of all, you will leave with more knowledge and friends than you could ever dream of getting from a typical internship. I can't speak enough about how much this program has helped me grow.

Cons

I wish I had more time to spend in the program..

"Design Fellow at Nextdoor. Abundance of mentorship, life-time of support, incredible connections."

Current Intern - Design Fellow At Nextdoor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Intern - Design Fellow At Nextdoor in San Francisco, CA

Pros

There were loads of events hosted throughout the summer. I got to enjoy a very intimate dinner and conversation with John Maeda, former RISD president, and learned a great deal from him and other leaders at KPCB. The start-ups in KPCB's portfolio are world-class, well-funded, and well-supported. You will have nearly anything you could want at your fingertips and you will be encouraged to push yourself and grow.

Cons

Although there are many events to be enjoyed, they are often scheduled such that they overlap with the standard workday. I felt like I had to choose between excelling in my internship at Nextdoor and making the most of the fellowship's events. Ultimately, I chose to focus more on my job at Nextdoor because I wanted to make a good impression. I wish more events were held later in the day, but understand why it might not be possible. You are a fellow for life - so even if you can't attend a lot of events during this year, there's always next year.

Advice to Management

Host events at times that don't conflict with the work day. I loved my design mentor and learned a ton from him. He was an incredible resource (Dan Burka) and I really value my relationship with him. Please keep this aspect of the program up!

"Excellent Undergraduate Fellowship Program"

Former Intern - KPCB Fellow in Mountain View, CA
    Former Intern - KPCB Fellow in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The KPCB Fellows Program was possibly the most impactful experience that has advanced my career. Having the opportunity to learn about the startup and technology world from those who help shape it has given me insight into industries that I would have otherwise never had the opportunity to explore. KPCB ensures its fellows are placed in positions where they can have an impact at companies that are working to change the way the world uses technology. The many sessions, workshops, and speakers hosted by KPCB provide valuable knowledge about what it takes to both run and work at a startup. KPCB is eager to see its fellows succeed as engineers, designers, or product managers at companies all across the board (even at non-KPCB-backed companies).

Cons

The KPCB-backed companies involved in the fellowship program are scattered around the San Francisco Bay Area, which makes it nearly impossible for a fellow to participate in all fellowship events (however the company does a good job of varying the location of the events). Additionally, being a venture capital firm, some of the actions taken by members of the firm in relation to their companies may affect fellows interning at an affected company and/or the reputation of fellows.

"The best summer I've had"

Former Intern - KPCB Engineering Fellow in Mountain View, CA
    Former Intern - KPCB Engineering Fellow in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredibly bright peers and mentors with an interest in your personal growth
    An internship in the heart of Silicon Valley
    Events like pitch competitions with KPCB partners and sailing
    Networking with some of the most successful entrepreneurs and venture capitalists in the world
    An opportunity to work at an amazing company

Cons

Getting to all the events was difficult at times, but totally worth it

"Engineering Fellow @ Indiegogo"

Current Intern - 2014 KPCB Engineering Fellow in San Francisco, CA
    Current Intern - 2014 KPCB Engineering Fellow in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The KPCB Fellows program was an awesome opportunity to get to know other talented and aspiring students as well as big players in tech and venture capital. It was also pretty chill and a lot of fun. For a program only in its third year, the lineup of events was very impressive, and the program organizers really worked hard to make us feel like part of the KPCB family. Definitely a summer that I will cherish.

Cons

There were no cons to being in this program.

9. "Best Summer Opportunity to get your foot in the door in the Valley"

Current Intern - KPCB Fellow in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The people, the events, and the advice that KPCB gave me are invaluable to starting a career in entrepreneurship.

Cons

Unfortunately, not everyone can participate since it is a competitive program.

"An outstanding Fellowship!"

Former Intern - KPCB Fellow in Sand Hill, PA
    Former Intern - KPCB Fellow in Sand Hill, PA

I worked at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The fellowship is a phenomenal experience for students. They are paired with Kleiner Perkins portfolio companies and build networks with people from all over the industry. We got to visit various companies to meet designers, engineers and product leaders, meet the VC's within Kleiner and interact with other fellows constantly.

Being a fellow opened up so many opportunities and possibilities for me - there were things about the industry I wasn't aware of. The mentorship provided by experts was very valuable and rewarding. It was so great to meet other fellows from different colleges and background.

Kleiner Perkins really looks after their fellows to ensure they are getting the best possible outcome and they work really hard to do so!

Cons

More interactive activities between the fellows

"An amazing fellowship experience"

Current Intern - KPCB Fellow in San Francisco, CA

Pros

There were fantastic opportunities to not only hear from and talk to the best in the industry, but also connect with talented developers, designers and product managers starting off their careers.

Cons

The program, due to its popularity, is becoming a little large. If there'd be a way to keep it small and intimate, that would make it even more fantastic