Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers Reviews | Glassdoor

Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers Reviews

4.9
John Doerr

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Best internship I've ever had!"

Former Intern - KPCB Fellow
    Former Intern - KPCB Fellow

I worked at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked at some big names in the Silicon Valley, and I think out of the 3 internships I've had, this was the best by far.
    1. My co-interns were extremely smart and some of the best at what they do, and so were the people at my company.
    2. There are a lot of super fun events (paintballing, sailing, kayaking, talks) and a lot of free stuff (the black North Face jacket)
    3. I got to do real work on the company OKRs and make substantial progress.
    4. The pay was at the upper end for an internship

Cons

It would be nice if they provided housing and transport for us.

Advice to Management

Arrange housing and transport for the interns!

Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers Response

Aug 15, 2014 – Analyst

We'll work harder to help Fellows find summer housing next year, we know it can be tough in the Bay Area.

"Best Summer Intern Experience so Far"

Current Intern - KPCB Fellow

I have been working at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

KPCB is one of the premiere venture capital firms in the world, and becoming part of their network gives you immense potential. Everyone at KPCB, especially the partners, love the fellows and are always willing to talk and give their advice.

Cons

Sometimes its hard to get to events and meet other people.

"The KPCB Fellows Program is one of the best ways to spend a summer"

Current Intern - KPCB Fellow

Pros

The Kleiner Perkins Fellows Program definitely has one of the highest payoffs of any internship you could have as a tech intern. You get to work for a great startup and network with VCs, meet industry leaders and other really smart interns. They have some great portfolio companies like Square, Coursera, Nest, and Flipboard. Honestly, there are very few summer internships that can compare to this program.

Cons

The program is great if you work at an awesome company. Some of KPCB's portfolio companies aren't amazing places to work. As long as you get an internship at one of their high-profile companies, I would definitely recommend the program.

"An amazing summer internship helping a global mission"

Current Intern - KPCB Fellow in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Smart people to work with, yet humble. Great team environment. The company has a vested interest in our career growth.

Cons

The internship program is very big and it is difficult to get to know all of the other interns.

"Career + Personal Development"

Former Intern - KPCB Engineering Fellow in San Mateo, CA
    Former Intern - KPCB Engineering Fellow in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Looking back, the largest benefit of the program was constantly being surrounded by high-caliber individuals, and that goes for both the fellows as well as the speakers.

Cons

Many events were pretty early in the evening, and with transportation time being up to an hour (depending on where you live) it could mean leaving early from work pretty regularly - sometimes tough especially at a startup.

Advice to Management

Some of the companies in the program (especially the smaller ones, < 100 ppl) didn't know too much about the program.

"Incredible Summer Internship Experience"

Current Intern - KPCB Fellow in San Francisco, CA

Pros

This was an amazing summer for me because of the opportunity to be a 2014 KPCB Fellow. I was able to meet so many talented students from all across the country, learn from industry leaders at fantastic companies, and have so much fun at each event. As a developer from Chicago interested in entrepreneurship, I was at the perfect place to fully immerse myself in the Silicon Valley culture.

Cons

Since the program is growing so much, it's hard to meet everyone and stay in contact. Traveling can be a hassle sometimes.

Advice to Management

It'd be great to form informal cohorts among the fellows to get different fellows to mix and get to know one another. These cohorts could change each week so that everyone comes into contact with as many others as possible.

Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers Response

Aug 20, 2014 – Analyst

This is great feedback and we are definitely working on this. There are so many benefits to having three distinct functional areas like engineering, design, and product in the program, and we have... More

"One of the best opportunities in the Bay Area for Summer Interns"

Current Intern - KPCB Fellow in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The events, the people, and the relationships you forge out of them

Cons

There are not really any cons to being in this program.

"Small company experience, top notch networking"

Former Intern - KPCB Fellow in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - KPCB Fellow in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The KPCB Fellows program was an excellent opportunity to work at a top tier startup while networking with peers across a variety of KPCB portfolio companies. You get the events and networking of a big company internship, with the impact and diversity of experience of a small company. You will be welcomed into the KPCB family, speak directly with partners, and be invited to continuing events over the coming years.

It's probably the best possible internship for anyone interested in software engineering and startups.

Cons

Housing in the Bay Area is hard! It would be awesome of the program could provide some sort of communal housing option.

"KPCB Fellows Program"

Current Intern - Design Fellow in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Intern - Design Fellow in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

I applied to the KPCB Fellowship program because it’s honestly the most unique program of its kind. There’s no other program that exists today that will allow students to work at industry changing startup companies, and at the same time allow you to have one on one interactions with the top tech CEOs in Silicon Valley. I've had many internships in the past, with some of the largest companies in the U.S.. However, the experience, and connections I made this summer through this program are priceless. I became friends with some of the most talented students in the world, and this was all thanks to KPCB for bringing us together. I can't express in words how life-changing this summer was. I recommend this program to any student interested in becoming immersed in the world of tech, design, and startups.

I had the chance to demonstrate my design, thinking, and business skills in front of top tech CEOs. They offered me their feedback, and how to improve. It's hard to think of any other internship that will allow you to have these types of interactions with such influential people in the industry. This is just one of the many benefits of being in this program. The things you will experience will be unlike any other job. The people you will meet will form life-long connections. Best of all, you will leave with more knowledge and friends than you could ever dream of getting from a typical internship. I can't speak enough about how much this program has helped me grow.

Cons

I wish I had more time to spend in the program..

"An amazing fellowship experience"

Current Intern - KPCB Fellow in San Francisco, CA

Pros

There were fantastic opportunities to not only hear from and talk to the best in the industry, but also connect with talented developers, designers and product managers starting off their careers.

Cons

The program, due to its popularity, is becoming a little large. If there'd be a way to keep it small and intimate, that would make it even more fantastic