Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
John Doerr

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Executive Assistant"

I have been working at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very bright people and passionate

Cons

Seems like the firm is still trying to rebuild..

"Not to recommend for anyone...."

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food for the employees.

Cons

People can be very rude at this company and are playing games, you can't trust anyone. Colleagues are trying to take each others password so they can log in and mess up a destroy for that person. Another thing you have to be careful about is that they are interviewing for positions all the time to see if they can find someone that is "better", which creates a very competitive environment and bad culture.

"Shark Tank"

I worked at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers full-time

Pros

Good $ and benefits and that's about it

Cons

Entitled leadership, lots of ego, slave-driving culture, not good for women or feminist values

Advice to Management

Treat your workers well

"World's Best Internship"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Being an engineering fellow connects you with the most important people in Silicon Valley. I know for certain that my future is set up in ways that no other internship program could have done for me.

Cons

The Fellowship is too short, it was hard to create lasting relationships with the other fellows due to our distributed work locations and lack of transportation.

Advice to Management

Do not increase the size of the class further. It is challenging to get to know everyone already.

"An amazing program"

Former Intern - KPCB Fellow in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Intern - KPCB Fellow in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Got to meet some of the most incredible designers, engineers and entrepreneurs in the industry as well as a lot of the partners of KPCB. The program also had some fun social events like kayaking, paintballing and sailing!

Cons

No real cons to be honest

"The best internship program in the world"

Former Intern - KPCB Fellow
    Former Intern - KPCB Fellow

I worked at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

As a KPCB Fellow, you have access to the biggest startups, KPCB partners, and a whole crew of some of the smartest people in the world.

Cons

No cons– really just good things.

"Excellent Undergraduate Fellowship Program"

Former Intern - KPCB Fellow in Mountain View, CA
    Former Intern - KPCB Fellow in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The KPCB Fellows Program was possibly the most impactful experience that has advanced my career. Having the opportunity to learn about the startup and technology world from those who help shape it has given me insight into industries that I would have otherwise never had the opportunity to explore. KPCB ensures its fellows are placed in positions where they can have an impact at companies that are working to change the way the world uses technology. The many sessions, workshops, and speakers hosted by KPCB provide valuable knowledge about what it takes to both run and work at a startup. KPCB is eager to see its fellows succeed as engineers, designers, or product managers at companies all across the board (even at non-KPCB-backed companies).

Cons

The KPCB-backed companies involved in the fellowship program are scattered around the San Francisco Bay Area, which makes it nearly impossible for a fellow to participate in all fellowship events (however the company does a good job of varying the location of the events). Additionally, being a venture capital firm, some of the actions taken by members of the firm in relation to their companies may affect fellows interning at an affected company and/or the reputation of fellows.

"Design Fellow at Nextdoor. Abundance of mentorship, life-time of support, incredible connections."

Current Intern - Design Fellow At Nextdoor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Intern - Design Fellow At Nextdoor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

There were loads of events hosted throughout the summer. I got to enjoy a very intimate dinner and conversation with John Maeda, former RISD president, and learned a great deal from him and other leaders at KPCB. The start-ups in KPCB's portfolio are world-class, well-funded, and well-supported. You will have nearly anything you could want at your fingertips and you will be encouraged to push yourself and grow.

Cons

Although there are many events to be enjoyed, they are often scheduled such that they overlap with the standard workday. I felt like I had to choose between excelling in my internship at Nextdoor and making the most of the fellowship's events. Ultimately, I chose to focus more on my job at Nextdoor because I wanted to make a good impression. I wish more events were held later in the day, but understand why it might not be possible. You are a fellow for life - so even if you can't attend a lot of events during this year, there's always next year.

Advice to Management

Host events at times that don't conflict with the work day. I loved my design mentor and learned a ton from him. He was an incredible resource (Dan Burka) and I really value my relationship with him. Please keep this aspect of the program up!

9. "Best Summer Opportunity to get your foot in the door in the Valley"

Current Intern - KPCB Fellow in San Francisco, CA
    Current Intern - KPCB Fellow in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The people, the events, and the advice that KPCB gave me are invaluable to starting a career in entrepreneurship.

Cons

Unfortunately, not everyone can participate since it is a competitive program.

"The best summer I've had"

Former Intern - KPCB Engineering Fellow in Mountain View, CA
    Former Intern - KPCB Engineering Fellow in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredibly bright peers and mentors with an interest in your personal growth
    An internship in the heart of Silicon Valley
    Events like pitch competitions with KPCB partners and sailing
    Networking with some of the most successful entrepreneurs and venture capitalists in the world
    An opportunity to work at an amazing company

Cons

Getting to all the events was difficult at times, but totally worth it