Kleinfelder Reviews in Cambridge, MA | Glassdoor

2.6
Kleinfelder President and CEO George J. Pierson
George J. Pierson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A wonderful work/life balance with the flexibility needed for a young father to parent and work in harmony (in 7 reviews)

• Great people and a multitude of varying work (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not look out for the people that do the work and make them look good (in 13 reviews)

• The very top tier direct owners always seem to be financially looked out for, but the ESOP has not benefitted rank and file employees for several years (in 5 reviews)

"Mid-Level Professionals - Stay Far Away!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time

Pros

The company allows plenty of flexibility to balance work/life needs and opportunities to attend conferences and industry events. Lots of multi-disciplined projects to work on. This is a great place to start out of college but if you're there after 2-5 years, you're making a career mistake.

Cons

This company has terrible employee salary returns. No straight overtime for anything over 40 hours and the annual salaries are below-average for this type of work. Benefits are average - not good or bad. 2% match on 401k is average to below average for the industry.

Promotions and raises are slow to come by and since you can't bill for anything over 40 hours, there's zero motivation to do anything above the bare minimum for your job. Employee turnover is extremely high, and those that do stay are usually the ones who are complacent in their job.

The company has way too many clients and individual project managers and not enough staff to support all of the work. For a design firm, there is very little technical expertise in the company.

Advice to Management

Focus on the right clients, not just volume. Cut the amount of project managers in the company and start staffing projects to succeed. Start hiring technical experts who actually have the correct solutions for their clients and change the compensation level. If engineers can not bill out hourly, they will leave. And get rid of the logo - "bright people. right solutions." There are no bright people or right solutions in our company, only project managers and office managers who are worried about the bottom line.

2. "Not a strong technical company."

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salaries are fairly good for area.

Cons

Poor direction from management...too much promotion based on ownership level

"Sr. Professional"

Former Employee - Senior Prifessional in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Prifessional in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Kleinfelder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can work from home and or make your own hours

Cons

Everything else. Salary is low management is awful they rule by intimidation

Advice to Management

Fire them all

"Not the best place"

Current Employee - Project Professional in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Project Professional in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Some good projects are available. There is a good variety of project depending on what group you are in. Strong geotech and environmental firm.

Cons

Poor management. Bad office environment. Management is secretive on many things such as bonuses and advancement. They act like they are a 10,000 person firm, when they are really only around 2000 people.

Advice to Management

Focus on making this a better place to work so younger staff stays longer and helps grow the company. In my office we have lost many people to companies that are better places to work.

"Not Impressed.."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Kleinfelder full-time

Pros

Worked with some extremely smart, friendly and great people. Senior technical staff is very knowledgeable. Good opportunity for entry level engineers to learn a lot. Employees are hard working and dedicated. Some interesting projects and clients. Qualified Project Manager track available. Flexible hours and schedule. Free lunches. Nice office.

Cons

Next to no training or mentoring programs or focus on learning in general. No clear technical leadership track for engineers. Disconnect between service lines and offices. No clear direction for business development, going after projects that company does not have experience/specialization in. Company is in a time of transition and if you wait it out it, it certainly may pay off, but I did not want to. Large amount of employee turn around. No overtime or comp time. Unclear employee bonus program.

Advice to Management

Focus on what the company is good at and has a record of success. Revamp bonus program and make clear to employees how it works. Focus on guiding and investing in employees and technical staff. Make career path clear to employees. Standardize training programs for employees. Senior management should reconnect to projects and lower management staff to understand how things are working and not working. Less acquisitions instead focus on developing current pool of talent.

6. "The company has a lot of resources for you to seek help for your engineering questions."

Former Employee - Staff Water Resources Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Staff Water Resources Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Kleinfelder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were a lot of interesting and complex projects to work on. The people in the company were very helpful.

Cons

The roundtrip commute was between 5 and 6 hours a day. The were too many mandatory inter office meetings which took up too much time.

"Good Place, Good People"

Former Employee - Staff Professional I in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Staff Professional I in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Kleinfelder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are generally pretty nice, engaging, and enjoy working with you. Good events for employees outside work.

Cons

Typical work-life balance with consulting job. 60 hours one week, nothing to do the next. Slow promotions and advancement

Advice to Management

Find more work (which is easier said than done)

"Positive changes are coming"

Current Employee - Vice President in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Kleinfelder (More than 8 years)

Pros

The firm is about to add a new CEO, which will be the result of a rigorous search and qualification process. I think the Board of Directors, including some stellar outside members, is very strong. The firm is definitely at an inflection point and I believe we are going to emerge from these changes a stronger, more dynamic place to work. One of our best assets is a core of loyal clients who bring us a wide variety of technical challenges.

Cons

There is change fatigue (culture/morale), but I believe many employees have decided to embrace the challenge. Some strong staff members have resigned recently - but those of us who are committed to make it work will help to pull us through this transition.

Advice to Management

Hold the line on non-essential changes to allow the new CEO to be effective.