Kleinfelder Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Kleinfelder President and CEO George J. Pierson
George J. Pierson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "work-life balance is always a focus with management" (in 11 reviews)

• "There are so many great people to work with and so many great projects to work on" (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management does not look out for the people that do the work and make them look good" (in 13 reviews)

• "This also can be a challenge for work-life balance" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great company, wish they paid better"

I worked at Kleinfelder full-time

Pros

Great People and some really cool projects.

Cons

They did not pay for over time.

Advice to Management

Higher salaries

"Could be happier"

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great work environment.
    quality people.
    independent work schedule.

Cons

not enough actual value in employees.
    not enough diversification in markets, resulting in slow periods.
    ambition and career development not nurtured unless you're a new engineer.
    regardless of what the company says (industry standards), the health benefits are high.

Advice to Management

Retain, value, and nurture the current employees that desire and are willing to help the overall growth of the company. Make opportunities more readily available those employees.

Nov 5, 2018 – Senior Recruiter

Hi. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. The cons you have listed about career development is something the organization takes very seriously. If comfortable initiating a conversation with... More

3. "Great Company, Great People, and Great Opportunities!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Leadership, people, collaboration and opportunities.

Cons

Continue to expand our services to new clients

Advice to Management

Keep growing and providing increased opportunities for our employees.

Oct 31, 2018 – Senior Recruiter

We appreciate the time you took to write a review regarding your experiences as a Kleinfelder employee. It is very helpful for us to know this type of feedback! Thank you!

4. "Great Sr. Mgmt, but Middle Mgmt is going to undo their hard work"

I worked at Kleinfelder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I met some amazing people at Kleinfelder and genuinely liked KLF's senior management (Area Managers and up). It's a stable company with a good CEO and good Area and Regional Managers. Their Health and Safety is top notch as is their HSE Manager and HSE leaders. Seriously, one of the best HSE cultures in the business! Many great processes in place from a corporate level perspective. Certain personalities will thrive here, and location/office really does matter with regards to staff experiences with Kleinfelder.

Cons

Project and middle management are always jockeying for their gold stars and will mow down all those who so much as question their agenda or have any potential to tarnish their shine. Anyone below a PM didn't have any opportunity for continuing education or attending any extracurricular professional events. Work-Life balance is promoted verbally only. There is too large a portion of staff on hourly + benefits with no guarantee of 40 hrs/week (including entry/junior level professional staff). Communication between PMs/mid-level managers and staff is in need of serious improvement with increased frequency and consistency. Managers are constantly contradicting each other and accountability never falls on the appropriate person. There is a very high turnover rate in a certain geography... I really did like KLF as a company but the messages and leadership of their senior management needs to be better conveyed through the ranks because if leadership throughout the company was as good as it is at the top, then I would expect to see a sharp decline in the frequency of resignations my former area was and is currently seeing.

Advice to Management

Senior management, please pay attention to what your middle and lower management are doing. They are not living up to your great leadership and core values. Many of the lower and middle management are great at saying the "right thing" in the presence of the right people, but it is just that... all talk and behind closed doors it can get unprofessional quickly. Morale can be an issue if Senior Management doesn't become more engaged with the staff level employee and understand how negative reinforcement and a "fall in line" mentality are taking down promising early career staff.

Nov 15, 2018 – Senior Recruiter

Thanks for providing us with such detailed feedback. You have given us a lot of really good information and it will be shared with the appropriate senior leadership.

5. "Ok for some, not for me."

I worked at Kleinfelder full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff level people were good to work with. I'm sure it would be a good gig if you are a geotechnical engineer. Some people seem to like it there, but it definitely wasn't for me.

Cons

Very weird office environment, hard to describe but it was too quiet and there was not much camaraderie, little collaboration.
    I didn't feel like my skill set was being used at all - I spent more time writing copy-paste proposals than doing technical work.
    Some of the senior PMs are downright rude, a lot of them are micromanagey.. Upper regional management comes off as incredibly disingenuous and fake.
    A ton of staff were leaving around the same time as I did - it seemed like a lot of them were also unhappy.

Nov 15, 2018 – Senior Recruiter

Hello, thanks for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the staff you worked with. We are making a lot of positive changes and we hope that collaboration... More

6. "Enjoyable Work Experience"

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time

Pros

People, Projects, Opportunities, Future and Leadership

Cons

Collaboration between offices and teams

Oct 31, 2018 – Senior Recruiter

Thanks for sharing your feedback! It is great to understand what you feel is working well and what areas we need to improve on. Thanks!

7. "Good to Great"

Current Employee - Senior Professional in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Professional in Denver, CO

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My supervisor is great. She is approachable, she really relates to me and listens.
    Our group manager is a great leader. He is also approachable and available. He likes hearing our ideas, he creates a positive team environment. I enjoy other team members, we really get along well and like working together.

Cons

I think, as with any organization, some of our offices really have a great vision and strategy while there are some locations were that is not as clear.

Advice to Management

Continue growing your leaders, ensure they are in understanding of the company vision and driving that in their office.

Oct 3, 2018 – Senior Recruiter

We appreciate your feedback, thank you for spending the time to share your experience.

8. "From Marketing Perspective - Great Company"

Current Employee - Business Development Coordinator in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development Coordinator in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a newer employee, I can say the onboarding and training process at Kleinfelder has been exceptional, and the team (marketing/BD) is friendly, collaborative and highly skilled. The HQ office environment (San Diego) is professional and friendly, and there's a real emphasis on work life balance by the management. I have been in the industry for almost 5 years, and Kleinfelder's reputation was always that of a technically strong, employee-oriented, and organized company and now that I work here I can see why.

Cons

I was surprised by the health insurance benefits here. I was accustomed to an HMO plan and here only PPO plans are offered, which seem a little more costly upfront. Kleinfelder does pay into an HSA account (no employee contribution required to get this), so that does soften the blow of potentially expensive doctor's visits.

Advice to Management

No advice to give - I really enjoy the CEO updates that are sent to update the staff on how the company is doing as a whole.

Oct 3, 2018 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, we appreciate hearing direct feedback from our employees!

"Small company environment"

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time

Pros

Great central location. Flexible schedule allowed.

Cons

Unorganized management. Too many segments of business markets

Oct 3, 2018 – Senior Recruiter

We appreciate the feedback you have provided. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review regarding your experiences as an employee.

10. "Great place for teambuilding and new engineers"

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Kleinfelder is a great company for engineers and environmental scientists, particularly for those at midcareer or below. It offers a fairly flexible environment (relative to other consulting firms) with a strong sense of team work, and many opportunities for travel and learning.

Cons

Because Kleinfelder is an A/E/C firm, PEs are the most valued employees; non- licensed engineers and scientists, as well as non-technical staff are valued less, which means growth opportunities are limited depending on the personality strength of one's manager.

Advice to Management

Treat all employees - regardless of position - as valuable resources, not just licensed engineers. This will increase morale overall, and decrease turnover.

Jul 13, 2018 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear you have not felt the value you deserve in your role. Providing us with this insight can help us to communicate to our staff that all team members... More