Kleinfelder Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Kleinfelder CEO George J. Pierson
George J. Pierson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Kleinfelder also provides a great deal of flexibility which helps employees maintain a healthy work-life balance" (in 14 reviews)

• "There are so many great people to work with and so many great projects to work on" (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "This also can be a challenge for work-life balance" (in 7 reviews)

• "Senior management had lost clarity and direction on key service lines, and what was needed to remain competitive" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Positive Experience with the Company"

Former Employee - Administrative in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative in San Diego, CA

I worked at Kleinfelder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work-life balance and good leadership.

Cons

I had an overall good experience

Advice to Management

Continue to off work from home positions

Jan 16, 2019 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you for taking a few minutes to share your feedback with us, we appreciate it!

"Huge potential, needs more positive company culture"

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Denver, CO

I worked at Kleinfelder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, nice office space, lots of opportunity, large diversity of work

Cons

High turn over, low morale, company culture needs improvement

Advice to Management

Heading the right direction on operations, now work on creating a culture that is positive and sustainable.

Apr 9, 2019 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you for providing Kleinfelder with your feedback. Your advice aligns with our focus on continuing to make Kleinfelder a great place to work.

"Beware of GlassDoor Reviews for this company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-New ownership injected capital, but removed "Employee Owned" status from company.
    -Stability

Cons

-We were instructed in a company meeting back in 2017 to write positive reviews to specifically improve our positioning on GlassDoor. Attrition was considered a significant problem and management felt the (at the time) low company score was a factor. As a result, management actively pushed out lots of "positive" reviews to artificially boost the score.

Mar 4, 2019 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback about Kleinfelder. We are very excited about the future of the organization through the new ownership as well.
    We... More

"Management instructed me to write positive glassdoor reviews also"

Pros

It used to be a good company until they sold to an investment company that knows nothing about who we are. It used to be employee owned with a lot of benefit for employees, now its owned by a bunch of Rich investors just looking to flip the company in a couple of years.

Cons

It is offensive that they still call it Kleindelder, it's not the company that we built and the new ownership should change the name. They don't deserve it just because they are rich and and can buy what they want.

Advice to Management

You should keep your dignity and leave. Go find an organization that rewards you for your efforts to build and grow the company.

Mar 11, 2019 – Senior Recruiter

As a current employee please speak with your supervisor or HR Business partner to discuss your concerns regarding the change in ownership.
    We request employee feedback be provided through... More

5. "KLF is great!"

Current Employee - Manager in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great local leadership! You guys rock!

Cons

None at this time! Keep it up!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Jan 9, 2019 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, we appreciate hearing from you!

"Great opportunities ahead."

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Talented people that are great to work with.

Flexible work environment.

Upper Management implementing changes to improve compensation relative to peer companies.

New capital structure allows for significant growth opportunity both through acquisition and organically.

Cons

No cons at this time.

Jan 7, 2019 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to provide Kleinfelder with your feedback. We appreciate the opportunity to hear from you!

7. "Excellent Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company has strong leadership creating lots of opportunity, and the ARA culture creates an excellent work environment.

Cons

Looking forward to some more aggressive growth to further enhance our brand, diversify our geography and service offerings.

Advice to Management

Continue to support the ARA (Authority, Responsibility, Accountability) environment - it's working very well.

Jan 4, 2019 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us, we appreciate hearing from our current and past employees!

"Lack of Work"

Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in New York, NY

Pros

Good benefits, lunches provided during meetings, people are friendly, good work/life balance

Cons

Management and higher staff complain about all the work they have, but have no efficient way of mentoring younger, entry level employees. I guess it's just the office culture. So new, younger, entry level employees - don't expect to be given work. If other offices are not willing to spread out their work to you, then it looks bad on you, your utilization, and performance. It's a shame that other offices aren't willing to share work because they just want to keep their own teams busy...when the team you're working with isn't busy.

Advice to Management

Hire more mid-level professionals for entry-level professionals to learn from and provide mentorship for growth. Stop having everyone work from home all the time and enable interaction, communication, etc.

Jan 10, 2019 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. Your advice to management will be shared with division leadership. Thank you!

9. "Exciting Times"

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Business is constantly moving and changing and Kleinfelder has risen to the challenges. What a great time to be part of the company, it is so exciting and I am so excited for the future.

Cons

Change creates opportunities, I don't see that as a con

Advice to Management

Keep moving us forward!

Dec 7, 2018 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. We are excited too!

"Growing Pains"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Kleinfelder full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nationwide offices allow for easy transfer opportunities and diverse work. Company feels smaller than it is due to closely connected practice groups and 'one company' effort.

Cons

Culture. Company seemed to struggle with attempts to grow into an international firm. Unique benefits that set Kleinfelder apart, such as the annual Technical Seminar, were suspended when profits shrank in the process, and this made the company seem more impersonal. Culture also varied widely from office to office, discipline, and manager. A common response to change or better benefits included 'Kleinfelder's benefits are in alignment with similar firms." But this response kept them from being a better, much less exemplary, employer, resulting in a continued male-dominated engineering culture that seems woefully behind the times. I left for a company with better work-life balance and diversity of projects, and even took a small pay cut to do so, but the benefits were so much better and the workplace attitude/culture so improved, that it has been a relief.

Dec 12, 2018 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you for taking a moment to provide feedback. We appreciate hearing details like this because it helps us focus on areas where we can improve. Thank you!