Kleinfelder Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Kleinfelder President and CEO George J. Pierson
George J. Pierson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "work-life balance is always a focus with management" (in 11 reviews)

• "There are so many great people to work with and so many great projects to work on" (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management does not look out for the people that do the work and make them look good" (in 13 reviews)

• "This also can be a challenge for work-life balance" (in 5 reviews)

1. "From Marketing Perspective - Great Company"

Current Employee - Business Development Coordinator in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development Coordinator in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a newer employee, I can say the onboarding and training process at Kleinfelder has been exceptional, and the team (marketing/BD) is friendly, collaborative and highly skilled. The HQ office environment (San Diego) is professional and friendly, and there's a real emphasis on work life balance by the management. I have been in the industry for almost 5 years, and Kleinfelder's reputation was always that of a technically strong, employee-oriented, and organized company and now that I work here I can see why.

Cons

I was surprised by the health insurance benefits here. I was accustomed to an HMO plan and here only PPO plans are offered, which seem a little more costly upfront. Kleinfelder does pay into an HSA account (no employee contribution required to get this), so that does soften the blow of potentially expensive doctor's visits.

Advice to Management

No advice to give - I really enjoy the CEO updates that are sent to update the staff on how the company is doing as a whole.

2. "Small company environment"

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time

Pros

Great central location. Flexible schedule allowed.

Cons

Unorganized management. Too many segments of business markets

3. "Great place for teambuilding and new engineers"

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Kleinfelder is a great company for engineers and environmental scientists, particularly for those at midcareer or below. It offers a fairly flexible environment (relative to other consulting firms) with a strong sense of team work, and many opportunities for travel and learning.

Cons

Because Kleinfelder is an A/E/C firm, PEs are the most valued employees; non- licensed engineers and scientists, as well as non-technical staff are valued less, which means growth opportunities are limited depending on the personality strength of one's manager.

Advice to Management

Treat all employees - regardless of position - as valuable resources, not just licensed engineers. This will increase morale overall, and decrease turnover.

Jul 13, 2018 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear you have not felt the value you deserve in your role. Providing us with this insight can help us to communicate to our staff that all team members... More

"KLF, an Okay company"

I worked at Kleinfelder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to start your career. Very low lay-off potential. Good company fame and reputation. Variety of projects. Brown bags and free lunch sometimes. Safety centered.

Cons

Slow advancement opportunities. No value for your hard work. No difference between those who put extra efforts and those who don't. Almost 1/3 of my coworkers have left the company.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for the managers, because they don't listen. Go read all previous reviews' here, all about caring more about employees and appreciating their hard work... The truth is often bitter, and you cannot resolve the problems by ignoring them. Stop showing net revenue and annual growth charts to employees. Fine innovative ways to make employees feel some respect.

Jul 2, 2018 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you for providing a review for Kleinfelder. It is very important for us to hear feedback like this so that we can continue improving.

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Your career will go as far as you take it - there are growth opportunities. Also, the company is on a strong trajectory since the change of executive leadership a couple years ago.

Cons

I have enjoyed my time thus far at Kleinfelder.

May 29, 2018 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you for spending a few minutes to provide us with feedback on your experience as Kleinfelder employee. It is valuable for us to know you see career growth opportunities with Kleinfelder. Thanks!

"Excellent leadership and fiscal management"

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time

Pros

New leadership is focused on responsibility and accountability

Cons

None since the new leadership was put in place

Apr 20, 2018 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you for providing us with your feedback! It is great to hear your views on current leadership. Information like this is very helpful to those considering opportunities with Kleinfelder... More

"Refined Business Approach with Strong Culture"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The structure of the company is streamlined with strong talent across the board, the culture is positive and there is a strong work ethic, the performance of the company and current trends are making for an exciting time and we seem well positioned in key services and markets, managers seem to be transparent about the operations creating a strong element of connectivity to the business as a whole, there really is a focus on connecting people to the projects that interest them most and help lead to professional growth and career development

Cons

There is not consistent alignment of service offerings across all geographies

Advice to Management

Continue the strong trend of creating a working environment that allows teams to focus on successful delivery, encourage staff at all levels to be a positive force in the branding of the business

Apr 16, 2018 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you for taking time share a review! Feedback from employees helps us to continue improving. Thanks!

"How sad"

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Kleinfelder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very little unless you are a geotechnical engineer.

Cons

How sad is it that company recruiters mandate current employee's fill out reviews here in order to make the company look decent.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone as part of the team, not just shareholders.

May 29, 2018 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you for your recent Glass Door review. It is disappointing for us to hear an employee had a negative experience working for Kleinfelder but all feedback is encouraged, both positive and... More

"Great place to work when there is work."

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The projects are interesting and challenging. Most of my teammates are pleasant and professional. If I wasn't assigned to work at our Client's jobsite, I would learn a lot from the intelligent and talented Kleinfelder staff.

Cons

Consulting work is unstable by nature. It is hard to plan and invest for my retirement when the work is not secure.

Advice to Management

None at this time.

Apr 30, 2018 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you for providing Kleinfelder with your feedback and experience as an employee!

"Senior Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people! As a consulting business, the people are the lifeblood of an organization. I have been working at Kleinfelder for many years and have traveled to offices across our global footprint and the one constant is great people. The high caliber personnel that demonstrate a commitment to quality work and client deliver have seemingly endless opportunities.

Cons

The compensation structure including 401k match seem to be at or below industry average although this may be a regional issue. I know the management team is working on incentivizing staff for performance which is a positive development

Advice to Management

Continue on the path of reducing administrative burden on staff and allowing personnel to focus on delivering value to projects and clients.

Apr 9, 2018 – Senior Recruiter

We appreciate you spending a few moments of your time to provide us with feedback and details of your experience working at Kleinfelder! This information is very valuable to us as well as to those... More