Kleinfelder Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Kleinfelder President and CEO George J. Pierson
George J. Pierson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A wonderful work/life balance with the flexibility needed for a young father to parent and work in harmony (in 9 reviews)

• Kleinfelder has great people which make it a great place to work (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not look out for the people that do the work and make them look good (in 14 reviews)

• This also can be a challenge for work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great company to work with!"

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Outstanding leadership that promotes team and individual authority, responsibility and accountability. I really enjoy the quality people that I get to work with as well as the challenging projects we are fortunate enough to work on.

Cons

None come to mind at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and keep growing.

2. "Constant growth opportunities"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you've got drive, this company will deliver on its promises to provide you with incredible career growth opportunities. Lots of fun and promising future!

Cons

Fairly large company spread throughout the country, so getting to know everyone and their talents is challenging.

Feb 5, 2018 – Senior Recruiter

Thanks for sharing your review with us, we appreciate the feedback!

3. "Enjoy working with the best leaders in the industry"

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time

Pros

Kleinfelder has some of the best technical engineers in the geotechnical, bridge, and environmental industries. The Executive Leadership Team is amazing, and they have made a great company truly fantastic. They offer competitive benefits, plenty of opportunity for career grow, and they truly value a balanced lifestyle.

Cons

Many employees have flexible work schedules and the ability to work remotely; however, this seems to vary geographically at the discretion of area managers.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Jan 30, 2018 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you! We appreciate the time you took to provide us with your experience as a Kleinfelder employee.

4. "A lot to like!"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Kleinfelder is an extremely diversified A/E/C firm that offers a lot of opportunity for growth in a variety of technical fields. It is a growth-oriented organization that is looking to take on bigger, more complex challenges, while maintaining its roots as a client-oriented, local organization. The firm's recent reorganization into geographic divisions has significantly improved the firm's responsiveness, adaptability and agility.

Cons

The firm is a bit conservative with hiring practices and investment into pushing new technical frontiers.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to move away from institutionalized business practices or status quo that might be slowing down progress.

Jan 29, 2018 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you for spending a few minutes to provide a review. You comments regarding your experience with the reorganization is very helpful and appreciated. Thank you again!

5. "Excellent clients, plenty of opportunities"

Current Employee - Staff Professional II
    Current Employee - Staff Professional II

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been an engineer at Kleinfelder for nearly 5 years. Here are my observations of the company so far:

Overall:
    - Many great clients in diversified and emerging markets
    - Strong group of talented people across the US, Canada, and Australia
    - Strong reputation for solving complex problems and providing outstanding client service
    - Large enough firm to go after large, complex, and interesting projects, but small enough that people don't get lost or pigeon-holed in their careers.

Personal:
    - I have had the opportunity to work on many interesting projects around the company. It is easy to network with staff in other offices to stay busy when the local office is slow, or to become more engaged in the type of work I like to do.
    - My "chain of command" is very supportive, and I always feel like they make sure I get the support I need both professionally and personally
    - There seems to be an increasing focus on cutting red tape and reducing bureaucracy, which has made things much smoother and more efficient lately. I rarely feel like the company gets in the way of the work.
    - Most of the time I feel like if I need something, I get it, whether it is time off, a piece of software, a new computer, etc. The company seems dedicated to providing us with the tools to succeed.
    - I have several mentors within the company who are always willing to lend an ear or give advice
    - The new divisional structure seems to be working well. In my own experience, the company is improving every day in its goal to connect the BEST people to its projects, not just the local people who might need billable hours. This is a two-edged sword because if you're bright, capable, and you can get things done on time and within budget, you will be in demand by likeminded peers. If not, well...
    - Whether I work from home or the office, no one hassles me as long as I get my work done. My time and "location" are pretty darn flexible, which is huge for me.
    - Overall I am really happy to work where I work with the people I work with and the projects I get to work on every day.

Cons

- Not really a con per se, but the company will probably not give you the compensation you don't ask for. I hate asking for more raises, but to the company's credit, I have received every raise I have reluctantly asked for. In my experience, as long as you can demonstrate value, they will pay you accordingly.
    - Healthcare costs. Again, probably more universal these days, but it just keeps going up, and up, an up.
    - Not a lot of flexibility with retirement options. The 401k match is OK, but there could be a better match or perhaps alternative options to the 401k.
    - Not a clear "promotion path" on the technical side like there is on the project management side. I feel the Company has lost a little bit of its focus on technical staff the last few years and has been focusing a little heavily on PM and BD, but I get the sense the higher-ups are aware of this and trying to make changes.

Advice to Management

- Keep incentivizing PMs and area managers to really connect the best people to the work, no matter their region
    - Look closely at the recent departure of some key technical people, and figure out how to keep those types of people retained in the future!
    - Keep cutting the red tape, bureaucracy, and unnecessary corporate machinery. So far it seems to be working, and I expect this will only get better.
    - Keep being creative with reducing unnecessary overhead without making it feel like the employees are taking the pinch. It seems like this has also gotten a lot better even though I am yet to get hassled over ordering pens or staples when I run out.
    - Overall the leadership team seems unified and focused on doing what is best for our clients, our company, and our people. I have been impressed by the strides made these last couple of years, and I have high hopes for our future.

Jan 29, 2018 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you for the detailed review, we appreciate the time you spent outlining your experience. This information is helpful to us as well as others considering Kleinfelder as an employer. Thank you!

6. "Tech"

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time

Pros

Great place to work great

Cons

Money,paid up front for school

Jan 15, 2018 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. Your feedback is appreciated.

7. "Schedule:("

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time

Pros

Nice fellow employees who are helpful

Cons

Schedule unpredictable, every day every week. Impossible to have plans

Advice to Management

Employees need more positive reinforcement

Jan 16, 2018 – Senior Recruiter

We appreciate your feedback and the time you spent offering this review. We value receiving information about the pros and the cons to working for Kleinfelder. Based off your feedback, we would... More

8. "Senior Principal Professional"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Kleinfelder part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Varied and interesting project opportunities. Great working environment with flexible hours and great benefits. Young professionals will find ample opportunities to gain immediate experience working on exciting projects.

Cons

Work location is not great but is shortly to improve.

Dec 21, 2017 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you! We appreciate the time you spent providing this feedback. Hearing from our current employees helps us to continue improving.

9. "Opportunities for growth... Employee owned and collaborative culture"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been here over 15 years - from before acquisition by Kleinfelder. I've stayed for the talented and supportive colleagues, the long term client partnerships and opportunity for advancement. I like how the company is big enough to compete with the big firms but small enough to care about employees and clients

Cons

We are running somewhat lean with big opportunities hitting and need to hire more people faster.

Dec 19, 2017 – Senior Recruiter

Congrats on such a great tenure with the firm! We appreciate your feedback greatly. Your concerns about hiring will be shared with the appropriate team. Thank you!

10. "Many Changes for the Better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time

Pros

Friendly office of young professionals, flexible work schedules, upper management that is supportive and encouraging. Good teamwork mentality, folks don't hesitate to pitch in when you ask for help.

Cons

Some of the reviews dating back to 2012 reflect a very different time and way of thinking. Unfortunately, we are still trying to rectify some of the management decisions made historically that did not serve us or our clients well.

Advice to Management

Continue the positive momentum, we are moving in the right direction.

Dec 19, 2017 – Senior Recruiter

We appreciate the time you spent providing us with your feedback. We value receiving comments about the pros and the cons of working for Kleinfelder and how we can continue improving.