Kleinfelder Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Kleinfelder President and CEO George J. Pierson
George J. Pierson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A wonderful work/life balance with the flexibility needed for a young father to parent and work in harmony (in 7 reviews)

• Great people and a multitude of varying work (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not look out for the people that do the work and make them look good (in 13 reviews)

• The very top tier direct owners always seem to be financially looked out for, but the ESOP has not benefitted rank and file employees for several years (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great People. Right Company."

Current Employee - Environmental Engineer in Exton, PA
    Current Employee - Environmental Engineer in Exton, PA

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

"Great People. Right Company." is what the Kleinfelder slogan should be. Small size makes it easy to connect with anyone across the company for project advise, technical reviews and ability to gain contact with others outside of your region or office. Kleinfelder garners great client relationships and focuses on delivering a great product with people who really enjoy their work. A wonderful work/life balance with the flexibility needed for a young father to parent and work in harmony. I love what I do and I have been able to work on projects that tailor many of my interests.

Cons

Keep project teams small enough where budgets are not cleaned with multiple professionals wasting time with ideas and personal opinions. Too many hands stirring the pot can really send a project out of scope and ultimately eat up budget. Keeping it simple and allowing the people closest to the project make the decisions is best. There can be many ways to get to a solution. All with the same effort and result. Spinning wheels and wasting time including other inputs can really be frustrating.

Advice to Management

My advise to management is simple, keep up the good work. Coming from a small owner/operator company it is very hard to find fault in what Kleinfelder is doing all across the board. From the technical report writing, field work, safety and employee benefits. Kleinfelder is really doing it right.

Sep 13, 2017 – Senior Recruiter

Your comments and feedback are greatly appreciated. Thank you for providing such a detailed review and voicing you suggestions for improvement. We will alert Marketing Communications to your slogan... More

2. "Great company, great people!"

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been happily working for KLF for almost seven years. Continue to be impressed with the talented and driven people I work with, the diversity of the projects we execute, and the committment of our teams to excellence for our clients! Company provides solid opportunity for career development and growth.

Cons

Salaries may not be as competetive as other firms but I've found that's made up for in flexibility and work-life balance.

Sep 1, 2017 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you, for sharing this review with us! We appreciate learning more about the experience you have had as a Kleinfelder employee.

3. "A very satisying job"

Current Employee - Administrative
    Current Employee - Administrative

I have been working at Kleinfelder part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Part time work available; can work for any office where there is need; can work from home as needed; can work outside your department; great pay; great benefits; small office culture still exists in a large company; located in multiple states for relocation purposes this is good. Good communication from corporate.

Cons

I have no complaints or CONS that I can think of. Really.

Sep 1, 2017 – Senior Recruiter

Your feedback and comments are appreciated. We are very glad to hear you are having a positive employee experience with Kleinfelder. Again, thank you for sharing your comments!

4. "Exciting times"

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time

Pros

New management with clear direction and goals

Cons

Working through old culture and encouraging others to embrace new

Aug 31, 2017 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you,for your employee review. Your feedback and comments are appreciated.

"Lacks Diversity"

I worked at Kleinfelder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Dedicated, determined, and always willing to assist. Some of the best people in the industry work at Kleinfelder.

Cons

Lacks diversity. If you're a woman expect to be demoted or laid off and the male staff you have trained and supervised will take your place. Has happened three times in the last six months. All those dedicated, hard-working people are leaving.

Advice to Management

Women have something to offer and bring talent and ideas to the table. Don't count them out.

6. "Geotech Engineer Position"

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time

Pros

Very flexible work schedule. Boss does not micro-manage. Variety of different projects and markets to work.

Cons

Compensation is below average.

Aug 31, 2017 – Senior Recruiter

Your employee comment has been received and we do appreciate your feedback. Thank you, for taking the time to provide this information.

"Administrative Staff Not Valued"

I worked at Kleinfelder full-time

Pros

Job security and basic benefits

Cons

No room for growth if in accounting position.

Advice to Management

Recognize staff that is eager to develop their careers Within the company. Respect the people behind the scenes that get vital work done. Do not view some employees as unnecessary since they are billed as "overhead costs".

Aug 29, 2017 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you, for taking the time to submit a review and for providing suggestions for improvement. We appreciate your feedback and for bringing this to our attention. We will share this information... More

"Technician II / Progressing Special Inspector"

Current Employee - Technician II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Technician II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, 401k, HSA/FSA
    Reimbursement for education/Certification Exam.
    KNET, ASTM Portal
    Kleinfelder invests in the future of its current employees
    Accessibility to Testing/Exam books

Cons

I think the 'Mentor' program could be better. More one-on-one time with a Senior Inspector to really get into Exam studies prior to testing. Although I don't believe this is so much Kleinfelder not making it happen but falling on the responsibility of the Mentor and Mentee and it not getting done.

Advice to Management

A quick Q&A session regarding the 'Mentor' program at the end of a Monthly Tech Meeting may quickly resolve the issue.

Aug 29, 2017 – Senior Recruiter

Your feedback and comments on areas where we can improve is greatly appreciated. Investing in our employees and providing mentorship is key to overall success. Your comments regarding improving on... More

9. "Great working environment"

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time

Pros

My experience with Kleinfelder has been very positive. The level of support and communication I have received from my department has been really great. With every question I ask, I get a response quickly. As I am participating in meetings, I really feel I am being heard and that my opinion is valued. I don't feel like just one of many faceless employees in a huge company.

Cons

Thus far I have not experienced any true cons.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the people and listening to their input

Aug 29, 2017 – Senior Recruiter

We are happy to hear you are having a positive experience working as a Kleinfelder employee. Your comments are appreciated and knowing you feel valued as an employee is a huge accomplishment for us!

"Generally good"

Former Employee - Project Professional
    Former Employee - Project Professional

I worked at Kleinfelder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoyed the people with whom I worked. Broadened my work experience by being involved in different projects across the country. Office tried hard to utilize my somewhat different skill set.

Cons

The end of my employment was disappointing. I understood that Kleinfelder was going in another direction, but I was made a part-time employee instead of laid off. I felt what was done was cheap.

Advice to Management

Show more respect for employees who have done good work when their services are no longer required. Be more upfront about the company's situation with the employees.

Aug 29, 2017 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you, for taking the time to write this review and provide us with your comments and suggestions. Your feedback is helpful in alerting us to areas where improvement may be needed.