Kleinfelder Staff Professional I Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kleinfelder President and CEO George J. Pierson
George J. Pierson

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management does not look out for the people that do the work and make them look good (in 12 reviews)

• The very top tier direct owners always seem to be financially looked out for, but the ESOP has not benefitted rank and file employees for several years (in 5 reviews)

"Good Place, Good People"

Former Employee - Staff Professional I in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Staff Professional I in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Kleinfelder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are generally pretty nice, engaging, and enjoy working with you. Good events for employees outside work.

Cons

Typical work-life balance with consulting job. 60 hours one week, nothing to do the next. Slow promotions and advancement

Advice to Management

Find more work (which is easier said than done)

"Great Projects Not Great Pay"

Current Employee - Staff Professional I in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Professional I in San Jose, CA

Pros

You'll find yourself working on some of the most high profile projects especially in the water resources/systems industry. There's a lot of experience in the company, and most of the people are great to work with.

Cons

The positives with the company are as much as many people could wish for, but the negatives can weighs heavy and create stress; specifically the financials, salary, and culture. Financially, the company seems to be skating by with meeting and missing goals, but no excellencies. Stock prices have diminished in the past five years, and there's not much upside. Pay is typically below average unless you're a specialist. Managers are reluctant to review highly, raise salaries, and/or reward bonuses (there typically aren't). The culture seems to be lacking, and appears that every local office is an individual company. Employees aren't informed of new hires, there are few team events, and there's a lack of communication between offices.

3. "Staff Professional (geotechnical)_3+ years of experience"

Current Employee - Staff Professional I in Exton, PA
    Current Employee - Staff Professional I in Exton, PA

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of resources, several offices throughout country but has a one company philosophy, professional atmosphere, goals that align with career path

Cons

No overtime pay, heavy on field work for entry level positions, out of town field work.

Advice to Management

Use engineers for engineering work instead of technician work.

"People fun to work with and a lot of opportunities to learn"

Former Employee - Staff Professional I in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Professional I in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Kleinfelder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of training and opportunities to learn, opportunity to work on prestigious projects with experienced people from different technical backgrounds.

Cons

Compensation is decent, frequent "restructuring" and over-hiring for big projects and then layoffs once the projects are completed.

Advice to Management

give priority in keeping people with good experience and technical background instead of replacing them with less experienced

"Good consulting company with typical issues"

Current Employee - Staff Professional I

Pros

Great people with a good experience, decent benefits, flexible work schedule, training opportunities internally and externally, fairly easy to schedule time off (PTO); interesting projects if you don't get trapped in large on-going projects

Cons

Typical consulting issues (feast or famine), Kleinfelder likes to acquire other companies instead of opening new offices so offices are not very well connected, no incentive to work long hours when you're on salary (bonuses are fairly rare)

Advice to Management

Don't cut the things that boost employee morale (e.g. work Christmas parties, bonuses, time with family); Better recognize the junior staff that continually put in 55+ hours a week

"Decent Job"

Former Employee - Staff Professional I
    Former Employee - Staff Professional I

I worked at Kleinfelder (More than a year)

Pros

Field work hours are somewhat flexible, allowing employees to start early and leave earlier.

They provide a good amount of training the first year of employment.

The people are very friendly.

Cons

Poor communication and delegation.

Inexperienced employees are left without mentors after formal training in completed. The lack of mid level employees perpetuates the problem.

The offices tend to be focused on a single market, therefore there isn't much diversity in the work that's done.

Advice to Management

Diversify work in the offices so you're not as effected my market fluctuations and you're employees aren't bored.

No overtime pay, not even straight time.

"Underpaid entry-level engineers; company disorganization"

Current Employee - Staff Professional I

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to work from home; national offices are very connected and share projects; quality engineers; large variety of projects

Cons

lower salaries; limited holidays; quick to let go of employees; financial struggles

Advice to Management

don't be so quick to let go of employees (I haven't been let go but see it occurring on a monthly basis); don't eliminate employee benefits such as overtime compensation (the method for bonuses is very unmotivating as it is now) and other little office perks...those are the things that keep employees happy, motivated, loyal, and hard-working.

8. "Great company with growing opportunities"

Current Employee - Staff Professional I

I have been working at Kleinfelder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

national clients, supportive management, several avenues for learning, continues to expand delivery lines, performance bonuses, fantastic medical benefits

Cons

Not a competitive pay scale, no overtime compensation, no clear direction for lower staff to continue to move up, politics and favoritism plays a role in selection for special opportunities.

Advice to Management

Make enough room in the performance bonus budget so everyone has the potential to earn the annual maximum, that way by the end of the fiscal year, we can continue to strive for those bonuses without the feeling that we will not be compensated. Additionally, I would look into developing more clear guidance to younger staff on how to achieve promotions to project engineering and project management roles. At times, it can seem as though younger staff is spinning their wheels rather than working toward a concrete goal. Do your research instead of taking the suggestion of other upper management when it comes to selecting staff for spotlight opportunities.