Kmart Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Edward S. Lampert

Pros
Cons
  • They say minimum wage going up is your raise (in 297 reviews)

• There are no raises or incentives (in 240 reviews)

1. "The co workers are great, some of management not so much."

Former Employee - Kmart Cashier in Brockton, MA
    Former Employee - Kmart Cashier in Brockton, MA

I worked at Kmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is decent
    The hours are great, even for part time
    Good Environment
    Kind co-workers
    Employee discount is great
    Time and a half for Sunday's

Cons

The manager is rude, and doesn't conversation well. Others in management are kinder and more respectful.
    Requesting time off can be challenging

2. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Acton, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Acton, MA

I worked at Kmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Got to meet a lot of people, easy/flexible hours, variable duties. Fast paced work environment that made the day go by quickly.

Cons

Retail can be tedious... having to push customer rewards memberships was obnoxious. Pay was minimum wage. Would get boring as a full time job.

Advice to Management

Employees do not have that much control over how many customers sign up for rewards. As long as they are making an effort to get people to sign up, you should not be nasty to them.

3. "worked in toys"

Former Employee - Floor Associate in Saugus, MA
    Former Employee - Floor Associate in Saugus, MA

I worked at Kmart (More than 8 years)

Pros

worked with nice people...help was always granted in toy department...hours were good..worked part time..my manager was nice

Cons

hours were spartitc...they made people stay past there hours with out overtime compensation...if you gave them days off needed they didnt schedule you for weeks...punishment...treated associaties like crap all the time...no way to advance in the company

Advice to Management

If you dont have a college degree there is no way to advance..i worked there 8 years no way was i gonna advcance to mangement...i have no college degree..not fair

5. "Poor"

Current Employee - Data Integrity Specialist in Salem, NH
    Current Employee - Data Integrity Specialist in Salem, NH

I have been working at Kmart (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Kmart is a great job when you are looking for a part time job on the side. During the holidays, business speeds up and becomes somewhat pleasurable.

Cons

Most days are very slow, so depending on what your position is, you may have a lot of time on your hand doing nothing. Supervisors are often irresponsible and immature. Moving up in the company means a title change, not a pay increase.

"A Terrible Company"

I worked at Kmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

there was a lack of customers so you didn't have to try very hard on the floor.. also freedom to do what you want sense no management supervised my area.

Cons

terrible management, no communication with corporate, minimum wage, the list can honestly go on and on. they are a horrible company to work for.

Advice to Management

COMMUNICATE WITH CORPORATE MORE AND STOP BEING RUDE TO PEOPLE WHO ARE WORKING MINIMUM WAGE. Also a higher, more livable wage.

7. "Alright company, terrible management"

I worked at Kmart part-time

Pros

Schedules are made 2-3 weeks ahead of time. Requesting time off is simply done on a work computer and are usually approved. 15 minutes Breaks are required every 3 hours and a lunch (unpaid 30 minutes) every 5. Cheap soda for workers (65 cents/12oz). My off days were Saturday and Tuesday. Closed early on Sundays at 6. 10-20% employee discounts. Easy first job. Free shirts periodically. Always hiring and here's why:

Cons

Registers are very slow, causing angry customers. Work is repetitive and very slow. If giving your two-week notice, the management will "get back" at you for leaving by overloading you with work. For example, I was forced to run the entire softlines dept by myself (3 person job) ON MEMORIAL DAY. When this prompted me to quit 10 days sooner than expected, I was told (despite having a wonderful work ethic prior) I would not receive a reference for my 6 months spent at my first job. No time and a half for holidays (except Thanksgiving), no vacation hours, minimum wage (salary freeze), no benefits, and no bonuses. Managers are sexist only having men collect carts and doing heavy lifting. Limited wardrobe opportunities (plain navy shirt, black slacks, and black shoes). Cheap name tags which are easily snagged on everything (choked myself a few times). For my 6 months of employment, the same disco music was played every day. Staff plays favorites with certain employees allowing no room for social/political growth. Closers must stay 30 minutes after closing to straighten. Broken equipment (rollbars) which could cause injury. Dingy/moldy break room with no windows/exits (definite fire hazard). Cannot leave when closing, until everyone is clocked out and the alarms are set (takes an extra 5-15 minutes unpaid). Dusty merchandise, dirty floors. Mantra is to value members over customers because customers are temporary. Employees take longer breaks than allotted (30 minutes instead of 15). Breaks with other employees in your sector are forbidden and can result in a "write-up". Freezing in the winter, uneven cooling in the summer. Staff was unwelcoming and often breaks rules of discrimination (not offering a Sears Credit card) as well as general misconduct (trying on the merchandise while on the clock). Repetitive online monthly training is required.

Advice to Management

Increase pay to at least $8 an hour starting pay with interval pay raises. Perhaps pay only minimum during training. DO NOT TREAT QUITTING WORKERS POORLY. Drop the sexist act and force a girl to get carts for a change. Chuck the old cash registers and drop the annoying questions. Fire the unproductive workers (80% of the staff), and hire people who will do their job.

8. "Steady work"

Former Employee - Product Marketing in Saugus, MA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing in Saugus, MA

Pros

Great location and substantial personal time off. Would work there again if the situation presented itself again.

Cons

We are unable to control the air units in our office.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to management. Keep going and keep the good people around you. If you want loyalty, work for it.

9. "Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Kmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Dedicated and talented co-workers. Hands-on environment.

Cons

Uncertain future, almost no chance for raises, bonuses, or advancement

10. "Kmart Associate"

Former Employee - Store Associate in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Store Associate in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Kmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, friendly community and work environment. Was a very easy position without much stress. Coworkers and other personnel great to be around.

Cons

Layoffs, store closings, no benefits. With local and regional stores closing there was a job insecurity.

Advice to Management

There was too much leniency and loss-prevention errors throughout the store. Technology was not what it needs to be to keep up with addressing these issues.

11. "Going out of business..."

Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Boston, MA

I worked at Kmart (More than a year)

Pros

If they like you, it's smooth sailing. Do your work and you'll be rewarded.

Cons

They actually use the cameras to watch that you're doing something every single second. If they don't like you, they'll send you to do management's tasks like pick up a trail of adult human feces that travels the entire store or be the only person getting carts during blizzards and other states of emergencies.

Showing 26 of 3,612 reviews