Kmart Reviews | Glassdoor

3,692 reviews

Full-time Part-time

3,692 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • They say minimum wage going up is your raise (in 300 reviews)

• There are no raises or incentives (in 248 reviews)

1. "Layaway clerk"

Former Employee - Layaway Associate in Greenville, NC
    Former Employee - Layaway Associate in Greenville, NC

I worked at Kmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good job for college student, anyone looking to have meaningful work and service their local community. Good opportunity to earn and honest dollar and interact with people in the most sincere way.

Cons

Some negative interactions with clients who are disgruntled for the strict policy on payment abandonment. Stresssful work environment with the workload at times because of the number of layaway on hand and the staff.

Advice to Management

N/a

2. "Cashier in high school"

Former Employee - Cashier in Liverpool, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier in Liverpool, NY

I worked at Kmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible with your schedule

Cons

No increases in pay for PT employees

"Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Kmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the people make it tolerable.

Cons

Everything about this company is geared toward making Sears Holdings more money without actually being in business. Since the Kmart and Sears acquisition, there have been nothing but cut backs after cut backs. A lot of good hard working people have lost jobs and positions. Good stores have been closed. This is a poorly run company.

Advice to Management

Use some common sense. The people and the service they provide are what matters. The world is also in a hurry so staffing to accommodate is advisable for not only the customers benefit but the employees as well. One person can only do so much.

5. "Okay"

Former Employee - Sale Associate in Wayne, NJ
    Former Employee - Sale Associate in Wayne, NJ

I worked at Kmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Okay hours, not too bad

Cons

Horrible rude employees, but overall not bad of an work atmosphere

Advice to Management

Its a pretty good job

"Humiliating"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Moorestown, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Moorestown, NJ

I worked at Kmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Someone will probably be able to sue from unrepaired ceilings, water always seem to leak on my arms from the ceiling and there is no ceiling you can see all the way up from the water damage. They have cash registers older than me and should become relics and sold on ebay as vintage. They give a pizza party when you complete compliancy exams on the computer so when you are on your break run from the front all the way to the back of the store grab a slice swallow dont chew drink a soda, run to the restroom on the other side of the store pee and be back to the register all the way from the back, you only have 15 mintes to do so. And try not to be caught up by a customer asking for help. Let the games begin, and may the odds be ever in your favor.....

Cons

When i first got to Kmart I wan inexperinced in retail. I was glad they hired me but once they did i got no training from a computer they just attached me to a more experienced cashier for me to shadow. My orientation consisted of me signing papers and was shown to the break room and employee restroom. I was training with the more seasoned cashier for a week during the end of November. I was to fly solo soon after. Although she was amazing and taught me well there was emense pressure since customers were buying for the holidays. Blue light specials are not in the system and you have to wait for manager overrides which you have to wait for literally ten minutes until one of the associates that has one decides to get their arrogant behind over to you, mean while the customers are get angry and lines stary piling up. Also the shelves can say one price and the register says another. Candy at the check out lanes are never in the correct spot of where the prices are. There is only one price check machine near the toy section and there arent any signs telling the customers where they are. So you the cashier are an automatic price checker. Also if you are scheduled to come out at a certain time out of work forget it, you are coming out 15 minutes later. When you get scolded for a mistake or something dumb you are yelled at in front of customers mean while the costomers are watching a soap opera with you being scolded in front of them and they snicker at you and laugh. Some felt bad for me. Never was i pulled aside instead you get yelled at in front if customers and other associates. All of the associates there have complaints. The membership is a joke, you can spend hundreds and only end up with 3 dollars in points. They push you to have the goal of 75% in getting numbers from customers and most of which they say their number is unlisted. They push you to sell credit cards but for what mostly all of them all have sears credit cards. Also, the people in customer service are rude and all talk about customers and they all gossip about each other. You never get weekends off or a set schedule one day you come early other day late night. They never close, yep! State of emergency was issued during a snow storm and guess what ? I was still required to come. No holidays will they close except Christmas day. Lastly i was fired, for supposedly inputting my number for non shop your way members. This lady from higher up and a man interviewed me she sat in front of me while he sat behind me and she started ranting giving me hypothetical scenerios meanwhile i am thinking in my head, GET TO THE POINT! so apparantly she had all this evidence gathered about me in a folder when i said to open it she said she would not! Than she said to give her a list of other people commiting "fraud" and since i said i would not cause what could i really say she called corporate and had me write a statement that she dictated to me to write and sign or i would have a more severe punishment like jail and i felt the pressure from her, no matter what i told her she said it was a lie. It felt like law and order and i was scared. Im a single mother of one child, and she broke me down until i cried my eyes out. I finally wrote what she told me to write, i signed that paper and i was still fired. I did not steal money. I did not steal merchandise. They only said i used my member account for non members which i NEVER did. And why not give me a warning if i had but no i was interrogated and fired 2 weeks before mothers day. I never been more humiliated in my life! I hope kmart goes to hell. Kmart becomes your life you have no personal life with your family or friends anymore. Its a plantation and the employees are slaves.

Advice to Management

Dont be nasty! Stop commanding the employees like dictators and using us as slaves. Pick better people in customer service.. fyi they are the ones stealing.

"Company has no future"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Neptune Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Neptune Beach, FL

I worked at Kmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People is the only pro

Cons

As of 2014:
    Very little support from top management
    No investment in stores
    Overly aggressive approach to member program -

Advice to Management

Find another job

8. "it was ok"

Former Employee - Cashier in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Kmart (Less than a year)

Pros

it being basically pretty ok

Cons

not much else to say

Advice to Management

keep managing

9. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Cashier in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Kmart (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, great coworkers, good management, I love working at Kmart

Cons

Changing hours, pressure from corporate

10. "cashier"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Iowa City, IA

I worked at Kmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

never hardly ever told meif I did a good job

Cons

always told me that my rings per minute were below status that the percentage of shop your way customers coming thru my line was too low but always asked me to be the one to train all the new cashiers coming on board

Advice to Management

when someone does something good acknowledge it do not dwell only on the negative thing that your employees do

11. "Kmart Warehouse Associate"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Mira Loma, CA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Mira Loma, CA

I worked at Kmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

friendly environment, holidays off, weekends off, days off

Cons

limited days off, favoritism, unorganized

Advice to Management

wouldn't really recommend this job to anyone, specifically in at the mira loma, ca location - if you want better work then the warehouse in ontario, ca is better

Showing 3,692 of 3,723 reviews