Kneaders Bakery & Cafe Reviews | Glassdoor

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
James Worthington

Pros
Cons
  • No breaks, on your feet all day (in 8 reviews)

• Even when there was no one in the lobby I was yelled at many times for talking to coworkers (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great Part Time Job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orem, UT

I worked at Kneaders Bakery & Cafe part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was decent for a young student. Depending on your position the schedule could be flexible.

Cons

Depending on your position the schedule may not be flexible. Sometimes the smell can get old since you smell it constantly.

Advice to Management

My only real advice for the management would be to teach the employees more. I think that I could have felt better there if I had known how to do more things.

2. "Avoid this place, bad ownership, and bad corporate policies"

I worked at Kneaders Bakery & Cafe part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly managers and co-workers, super nice customers almost on a daily basis.

Cons

When I was hired, I was promised 25 hours a week, although that held true for the first two months, It soon trickled down to only 4 whole hours a week! During the hiring process, it was agreed that I would take the baking position, however they instead told me on day one that I was going to be on grill. When I asked them why I wasn't being hired to the baking department, they told me that everyone starts off on grill. This would have been true, except for a few weeks later when a guy was hired on and when straight onto baking.

This was only the beginning of the many issues with Kneader’s Internally.

When I was hired, we agreed on a $10.00/Hr. starting pay. When I received my first paycheck, I realized they were only paying me $9.00/Hr. When I asked why they were only paying me $9.00, they said it was because of the training period, which is a month long period. After searching for a job for weeks after I was laid off, I wasn't going to give up, I wanted to continue on and show them my hard work and everything I had to contribute.

As far as scheduling is concerned, good luck finding stability and consistency with the work schedule. The owners procrastinate on the schedule and literally put it off till the very end of the night, the night before the schedule is needed for the work week. That’s right, the schedule is not made in a week or weeks in advance, it’s usually made between 9-11 PM Tuesday night, and if you work at 6 am Wednesday, you have to stay up to see if you work that very next morning. The schedule is posted via email, and is changed frequently after it’s been published. I missed work once because they changed me from working Thursday to Wednesday, and didn't inform me via email nor phone. In addition to scheduling, they systematically understaff on busy days like Fridays and Saturdays to cut back on staff to save money. When I worked on grill, I had to close the entire Kitchen, Clean, do the dishes, and sweep and mop, all by myself. Instead of getting off at 11 PM as scheduled, I worked nonstop till 1 AM when I finally finished cleaning up. This happened to me nearly every week, except when a second person was scheduled to close with me, and then and only then were we out as scheduled at 11 PM. Speaking of which, if you work in the afternoon, nine times out of ten you are cleaning up everyones mess from the morning. There is little accountability from the morning crew.

After a few months, we began to enter our busy season, November and December. Everyday, Kneaders was packed and busy from opening to closing. We were understaffed and undersupplied constantly. The owners failed numerously to reorder critical items such as sanitizer, industrial dishwasher soap, and other supplies to maintain a clean environment. Again we were understaffed constantly, where customer service was severely impacted resulting in lots of refunds, constant scrutiny from angry customers, causing a loss of customers and growing negative reviews on Google and Yelp.

Because of the understaffing and unexpected sick leave from other colleagues, I was always called in. I came in early on days that I worked, as well as coming in on days that I had off countless times on minutes notice. Because of this and my already hard work and solid work ethic, I always received high praise from my managers all the time. I always did my job, cleaning and maintaining the front of the store, taking out the trashes, and cleaning windows.

I started to notice my hours gradually decreasing more and more every week where it began to become uncomfortable financially. I came in early one morning on my own time and asked to talk to the general manager. I explained to him my concern about a lack of hours, and he told me he would talk to the owner. I noticed my hours were back in the norm, however two weeks later, they began to decrease again. Again, I came in on my own time and then talked directly to the owner. She never gave me an explanation as to why my hours were being shortened, but said that she would see what she could do. That never happened. So naturally I began seeking employment elsewhere while still working for Kneader’s. Eventually after spending money on nothing but food and gas for two full months (not finding work elsewhere in the meantime), I drew the line when I was assigned only four hours for the entire week, when I was once working 25 hours only a month and a half beforehand. I contacted the owner and the general manager, pleading and asking why my hours were so dismal, I explained how I had to dive into my emergency savings and how I was beginning to collapse financially. This is where I became furious. The general manager said it was because we were entering a slow season and cutbacks had to be made. In addition, he and other managers said that it had nothing to do with any performance issues and said I was a great, hard worker. The owner on the other hand said she only pays for hard work and performance. I was furious and felt completely BETRAYED and LIED to. She said that I was slow at work, and that’s all she said. When I asked, she couldn't elaborate on what exactly I wasn't doing correctly or slowly at. I always welcome constructive criticism, but the problem is she didn't explain what exactly I needed to work on. I knew that what she said wasn't true, because all the managers I’ve worked with never once said anything critical about me or anything that I needed to work on. Wouldn't have made sense if a manger told me in person what to work on instead, rather than waiting to tell the owner and having my pay cut? Two weeks later when I was informed about possible work hour cuts due to the upcoming slow season, I was told it had nothing to do with work performance and was strictly due to the slowing season. This confirmed the falsehood that the owners tried to put on me.

I and other coworkers were getting low hours before the slow season began. What kills me is that they still continue to hire more and more people and never bother to take care of the people they already have. IF THEY ARE GOING INTO A SLOW SEASON, WHY DO THEY STILL HIRE?! They seriously ween off all the good employees who've worked there forever hour-wise till they are forced to leave, only to hire new ones at starting wage and minimum benefits. I’m convinced they do this as a way to save money.

The most insulting thing that happened to me is when a manager told me that I needed to buy new work pants, not because there was holes (there weren’t), but because they were a shade too light from being black. It was insulting because I only got a $180 paycheck going only towards cheap food and gas. I didn't have the luxury of buying cheap Walmart black pants. The way he said it was arrogant and belittling.

Corporate policies are also horrible, they nickel and dime customers in ways you wouldn't believe. For example, they may say pastries are discounted, but when you apply the discount, it doesn't count some of the pastries for stupid reasons that make no sense, it almost seems random. So you never get the full advertised discount.

Also, as a former employee, I can tell you that they mis-advertise on some of the food items being “homemade”. “Hand-pulled Turkey” isn't a thanksgiving turkey, it’s prepackaged turkey breast baked in a dirty oven, the same oven they use for warming French toast in the morning. Pointing back to the whole “morning crew doesn’t stay to finish their responsibilities” argument, it’ll be 8 PM and you can discover french toast from the morning still in the oven, rock hard and stone cold.

In conclusion, if you enjoy working for lazy owners who don't do their job and never take responsibility for the sake of their business and employees, and with low hours, then go ahead and apply. Because it may seem like a great job with great hours and pay according to their website, but it’s a whole different story in reality.

Avoid Kneader’s, it really does seem like there is a lot of problems that stem from corporate which brings me to my last thing. Kneader used to be a mom and pop shop. It is now owned and operated by a company called “Four Foods Group”, in which they do a horrible job overseeing their subsidiaries.

Advice to Management

Advice:

Establish better communication with employees, take care of your employees, corporate needs to revise their policies and go back to where they started.

3. "Worst job I've ever had"

Former Employee - Cashier in Oro Valley, AZ
    Former Employee - Cashier in Oro Valley, AZ

I worked at Kneaders Bakery & Cafe part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers and good food.

Cons

Bad management, little to no hours

Advice to Management

Manage better, don't mis-lead employees, pass off duties instead of doing everything yourself.

5. "Unorganized"

I have been working at Kneaders Bakery & Cafe full-time

Pros

Nice people and nice owner

Cons

Unorganized Owner without a backbone

Advice to Management

Listen to your employee's, especially if they are just answering your requests for ideas on how to make things run smoother. If you don't want opinions and advice don't ask for it

6. "Kneaders"

I have been working at Kneaders Bakery & Cafe full-time

Pros

Loving,family environment, regulars can make your day!

Cons

Little to no breaks, long hours, not the best pay.

Advice to Management

You need to implement breaks, your employees will not be so burnt out and it will help your labor.

7. "Not My Favorite Place To Work"

Former Employee - Cashier in Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Cashier in Orem, UT

I worked at Kneaders Bakery & Cafe part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We were given a small discount on food.

Cons

I worked as the cashier and I absolutely hated it. I was told I was not able to talk to my coworkers because it could cause distractions that would lead to errors or injury. Even when there was no one in the lobby I was yelled at many times for talking to coworkers. Management literally drew a square on the ground and told me not to move from that spot for my whole shift. It was awful!

Advice to Management

Don't micromanage your employees so much. Hire good people that you trust to get their job done and don't hover and make ridiculous rules!

8. "Found a passion but the management was..."

Former Employee - Baker in Saint George, UT
    Former Employee - Baker in Saint George, UT

I worked at Kneaders Bakery & Cafe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Nice coworkers at my location
    -Some opportunities to move up
    -Introduced me to a job that I love
    -Long hours, if you like that kind of thing

Cons

*Poor management*
    -Inventory would be correctly taken but the order would be wrong
    -Promises would not be followed through when it came to wages
    -Managers wouldn't be given employees when they needed them
    -Favoritism
    -Supplies would not be provided when needed

-VERY long hours are asked of you in some weeks.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and their needs.
    They might have a certain tolerance, but they almost universally see you as inconsistent, dishonest (either deliberately, or negligently), and overall they have little to no respect because many don't feel like they're granted respect.

9. "Kitchen Manager"

Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Yuma, AZ
    Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Yuma, AZ

I have been working at Kneaders Bakery & Cafe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people you work work

Cons

They want you to slave and do a 3 persons job by yourself. Then they want you to hurry up and leave do they won't have to pay you. Don't even think about overtime

Advice to Management

Get a grip ', such a terrible place to work

10. "Cashier/customer service rep"

I worked at Kneaders Bakery & Cafe part-time

Pros

The franchise owners worked with me when I needed a flexible schedule. I am a high school student.

Cons

Their attitude is to understaff and work you until you drop. Dehydrated after working 5 hours, AM yelled at me because I didn't clock out to take care of my bloody nose.

Advice to Management

Better training. Assistant Managers are young and lack experience and need to be given training on management skills. Treat your employees like people and not slaves.

11. "Never Work Here"

Former Employee - Cashier in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Cashier in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Kneaders Bakery & Cafe part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice co workers, food discount

Cons

Starting off, it was a fun place and everyone there is really nice. I don't know about other Kneaders, but mine is breaking the law. According to Colorado Labor Laws, you are suppose to receive a 30 minute break when your shift is longer than 5 hours. Offhand, I don't think I ever saw anyone get a break and at least the majority of them work a lot more hours than myself, like 5:00am-2:00pm shifts for example. Even when you ask for one and sometimes ask more than once, the excuses pretty much come down to them not scheduling enough employees. The law doesn't say anything about overlooking no break if they don't schedule enough people. That is illegal. They take advantage of their employees, not thinking of what's best for them. The best chance you have for eating is quickly snatching a piece of bread from the sample table. Even then, a couple seconds where you try to rest a bit and they have you racing to do stuff. Yet the managers have time to sit in the back and eat, yet they can't give employees who work long days the break they are entitled to? Nope always on your feet. My last shift there, I worked an 8-4 shift and right after arriving asked if I could have a break sometime today since I was there for an 8 hour shift. I was told they would get me a break and Even asked again around 1:30 and once again they told me they'll get me my break. It never happened. Between 8-4, all I ate was a piece of bread from the samples and I ate it quickly so I didn't pass out from starvation. This was actually among the couple of reasons that led this to be my final day there. A few days later when I came in to resign, I brought this to attention and my manager agreed with me, saying "it's not that they don't give breaks". No that's exactly what it is and they clearly know what they are doing. No one deserves to be treated like this and I will never recommend anyone work here.

Advice to Management

Not giving breaks is against the law. It's not ok to not give a break just because it's busy. Schedule more people or help them out!