Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Steven Nataupsky

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Padding time happens at every law firm--including Knobbe (I can guarantee it)" (in 8 reviews)

• "The firm needs to stop selling itself like it's a lifestyle firm, or that it has a different business model than other firms" (in 6 reviews)

"Clerk"

I have been working at Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear full-time

Pros

Been here a while now. Everything is a pro, in my opinion. Management is friendly, benefits are amazing and work/life balance is valued.

Cons

Can't think of anything for this place!

2. "Decent place to work"

Current Employee - Assistant
    Current Employee - Assistant

I have been working at Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    7.5 hr work day
    Abundant PTO and care time
    Endless resources

Cons

Impersonal office environment
    People don't really talk too much to each other unless you've been there from the beginning.. so it makes for uninteresting work days.
    Workloads are distributed unevenly. Some people are extremely busy while others are able to slack off on regular basis.

"Doesn't Have What Other Firms are Offering"

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear full-time

Pros

Good industry reputation (although largely based on the past).

Cons

It’s really crazy that the Kool Aid around this place is that they fixed biglaw. It is a sort of communism fixed capitalism situation. I went into traditional biglaw from this place and it could not feel any better. The quirks of this place really hold them down in my opinion. For example, making people partner after their 6th year sounds great, but making a bunch of people partner who have no work and have never shown they can bring in work is not smart. You end up with a bunch of “partners” doing Office Actions themselves. Billed hours are another example. It is routine at this place for partners to get clients by promising ridiculously low budgets and then cutting the associate’s time. Since an associate only gets credited for “billed” hours they end taking the burden from the partner taking low budget work. The compensation issue is also huge. Sure, they tell you they are only 10k below market. But that is only base salary for the first year. As the years go on the gap gets much bigger, add in Cravath bonuses and a few years down the line you are about 100k behind. Oh, but you are sticking around to make partner? Guess what, a starting partner is making MUCH less than a senior associate at a Cravath scale firm.

For whatever reason, Knobbe doesn’t have the high quality work anymore. If having a constant stream of work and getting credit for all your time is what you expect from a firm, then steer clear of Knobbe.

Advice to Management

Stop spreading lies about the pitfalls of traditional firms because that is what your firm needs to become to survive.

4. "Okay place"

I worked at Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear full-time

Pros

Good work environmnt to learn

Cons

stagnant position movement and pay

5. "Unique firm"

Current Employee - Attorney in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Attorney in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent work environment, talented people, great work-life balance

Cons

Though growing, the east-coast offices are still fairly new.

Advice to Management

The firm is running well, so please don't try to fix it!

6. "Excellent PTO and Flexibility for Staff Members"

I have been working at Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid Time Off supports a work-life balance; flexible work schedule

Cons

Minimal opportunities for advancement; low-average pay for the IP community

7. "Docketing Agent"

Pros

Friendly environment, good working conditions and benefits, good training and development resources

Cons

Management could do a better job of equalizing workloads

8. "Overall a good place to work"

I worked at Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits. They had a lot of staff appreciation days. Whenever there was a meeting it was catered, if you had to work late you could order dinner in as well.

Cons

The different departments could be really cliquey. I, personally, felt alienated by my coworkers because no one liked the person I was assisting. When I needed to get coverage for days off, I would have to ask several times before someone would finally agree. It is a litigation law firm, so you are expected to work long hours when needed.

"Employees not valued"

I worked at Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

7.5 hour workday with 8.0 hour workday pay

Cons

Used to tout themselves as a "lifestyle" firm that cared about it's employees well-being (which includes worklife balance, family obligations, etc.) but are harrassed by admin for the way you use your own accrued PTO time. (its supposedly at your discretion without consequence) Particularly if it's used in small/short increments so you can attend your childs events, doctor appointments, personal appointments or to extend a weekend (usually due to burnout). They want you to use your time in "large chunks". I've heard of employees being told they "took all this time off and have nothing to show for it" when their time was used for children's events or care sick children. It may even end up on your review. But there is nothing in the firm's employee manual stating this is a no-no.

Advice to Management

Spend more time acknowledging your employees accomplishments rather than focusing in minor defects or errors. Value your employees by valuing the things that are important to them such as family instead of nit-picking for their use of PTO to attend to family matters.
    Corporate Admin needs to be more proactive in finding out what's really going on in their satellite offices. Especially those that are seemingly "perfect" (San Diego). The employees are quiet for a reason. They are afraid of retaliation because they've seen it happen on numerous occassions. Try implementing a truly anonymous written (non-computer generated) employee satisfaction survey that asks the pertinent questions about how they feel as an employee working in that office and what can be improved. you might be surprised.

10. "Great Job."

Current Employee - Associate Attorney in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Attorney in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Billable hours are lower than all other big law firms.

Cons

Nothing to say yet about cons.

Advice to Management

Nothing to say yet about this.