Knowledge Consulting Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Dusty Wince

1. "Cyber Engineer, SME"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Knowledge Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Has some pretty good contract within the DHS environment, peers appear to be professional and capable. Management allows a lot of autonomy for personnel assigned to work onsite. The success of the company may be that it operates more as a staffing firm for professionals than from the belief that it has a secret sauce that no other company knows.

Cons

KCG operates more as a small staffing firm than a knowledge center.

Advice to Management

Be up front with employees on the company objectives and design. I felt like I was working in isolation while working for KCG.

2. "Good, but not great."

Former Employee - ISSO in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - ISSO in Reston, VA

I worked at Knowledge Consulting Group (More than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance is decent. Great opportunity to get exposure to a large customer base.

Cons

If you don't like to travel/consulting, then this is not the place for you.
    Travel Expenses are micromanaged

Advice to Management

Spend more time on employees. Providing a more relaxing culture.

3. "I enjoyed working for this sub-contractor"

Former Employee - Computer Operator in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Computer Operator in Dallas, TX

Pros

Knowledge Consulting Group is a very professional company with emphasis on customer and employee needs. The company was very timely with communication back and forth.

Cons

While working with Knowledge Consulting Group, I really found no faults.

5. "Information System Security Officer (ISSO)"

Current Employee - Kahletta Montgomery in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Kahletta Montgomery in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Knowledge Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Very professional HR team, solid standings as a company, Award winner in mulitiple solicitation commerical and Federal, benefits and salary offer. Awesone annual reconigtion and social events

Cons

not enough activities to bring all employees together in one place/hqtrs to chat/chew about KGC

Advice to Management

Suggest that if at all possible to have two events throughout the year to toot about KCG to staffers about the over all Strategic Plan of KCG forward movement. Casusal put informative.

6. "KCG understands how to deliver cyber security support and cultivate healthy employee-manager relationships"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Washington, DC

I have been working at Knowledge Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Funding for training , management involvement, flexible work schedule supports good work/life balance, and a general attitude at headquarters is a breath of fresh air away from the "big business" cold attitude. I love the management/directors/executive staff at headquarters!!! The VP, Terry, is so down to earth and is really engaged in these contracts. So I see a large business that is smart enough to retain some of the small business charm that got it to where it is today. I appreciate that the top isn't looking down, but across and eye-to-eye.

Cons

Stretch upper management thinly across multiple contracts.

Advice to Management

Need a" functional supervisor" type of management structure to provide oversight.

7. "Generally good"

Former Employee - Information Systems Security Officer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Information Systems Security Officer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Knowledge Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Generally good. For people on client sites, management is a somewhat loose, but supportive whenever issues occur. Professional training is well supported.

Cons

Working on client sites it was sometimes difficult to know how best to support the business goals of the company.

Advice to Management

Think long term.

"You will treated like a work horse. They also have a nice revolving door (people leave after a short amount of time)."

Former Employee - Penetration Tester in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Penetration Tester in Reston, VA

I worked at Knowledge Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very technical. Collaborate training. Very competitive pay. You will work with some very knowledgeable people. If you like to travel, they will send you places.

Cons

Set people up to fail(They will not give you details on your project til the last minute). Will use your clearance to accomplish boring contracts. They do not really help you out when your in a jam on site. They do not train you on anything, expect you to lead without a company vision. Claiming travel related expenses are a hassle. They once made me walk 2 miles every day to a client site in order to save on a taxi. They do not invest in their people. They will encourage you to do presentations (articles, presentations) so they can have free advertisement from it. You will work on two projects at once all the time. The people that have been there a long time are bitter. The peer review process is a joke and not one like doing it.

Advice to Management

Schedule some down time in. Start listening to employee suggestions. Treat people with respect instead of like cattle. Schedule time to actually review someone else work before sending to the client.

Knowledge Consulting Group Response

Mar 18, 2015 – Director

I am sorry to hear this was your experience at KCG. We do listen to our employees and try to make recommended changes when we can. One of your “Cons” is our travel process, which was a complaint we ... More

9. "Great Learning Experience"

Former Employee - Security Architect in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Security Architect in Arlington, VA

I worked at Knowledge Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned alot; worked with VERY knowledgeable folks. I had a much opportunity to learn the ins and outs of IT Security Governance

Cons

not to any fault of KCG, but the working conditions (office space) was very tight as we worked in an Government agency.

Advice to Management

More training opportunities, try to negotiate better working conditions

10. "Respectable body shop"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

The salary and benefits are competitive for this line of work. KCG will sponsor you for a security clearance if the job calls for it.

Cons

Although they call themselves a "consulting group" this is a relatively lean organization with minimal overhead. Don't count on any beach time -- they'd rather spend the money on competitive salaries.

Advice to Management

Try to provide more collaboration tools between consultants. A message board, wiki, or email list would help with this. Also, consider investing in a more robust intranet.

Knowledge Consulting Group Response

Mar 26, 2015 – Director

I appreciate this feedback. We have grown a lot since 2010 and things have changed. Regarding bench time, this is something the company accommodates with the transactional/security assessment work ... More

11. "A good place to work"

Current Employee - Network Security Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Network Security Engineer in Washington, DC

Pros

KCG is a small company and treats it employees with respect. Most of the managers are competent and provide for a good work life balance. My work environment has been great and I really enjoy the people I work with. KCG is also pretty good about providing technical training and reimburses for certification testing costs. Career growth is available if you are interested in a management track.

Cons

Career opportunities are limited because of the limited scope of contracts that KCG pursues. These are primarily security contracts involving C&A work for government clients. The bonus policy is convoluted at best. A technical expert career path is not currently available from KCG.

Advice to Management

Try to expand the variety of contracts you pursue. Implement a technical expert career track.