KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,931

974 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "The people are great and committed(in 13 reviews)
  • "Good benefits for the employees(in 9 reviews)
  • "This company has an amazing opportunity to make a positive impact on hundreds of thousands of lives, and wastes it.(in 5 reviews)
  • "Staff are friendly and easy to work with.(in 4 reviews)
  • "•Some former colleagues are empathetic and are hopeful things will improve.(in 4 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

District Mgr.

Sep 27, 2016 - District Manager in Columbia, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

Loved the relationships and Team building. Hard but, rewarding work.

Cons

Competing priorities and turn over in upper management.

2. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Fun Job

Jul 6, 2020 - Lead Teacher in Saint Paul, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

I loved teaching preschool! Fun Job, had some great coworkers that were always willing to help you out.

Cons

Fun Job but could be stressful at times. Over Ratios at times not getting supplies for classroom projects. Also found that Management was hiring people with no experience making more money than people with many years experience at this location. Didn’t always feel valued.

3. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Just...BAD

May 19, 2020 - Enrichment Specialist in Newark, NJ
    Business Outlook

Pros

- some teachers are really dedicated and really care about the kids, literally the only thing that keeps the day half-way manageable

Cons

- the LEAST amount of holidays off - terrible management (center director and regional director) - treat kids as dollar signs - parents hold all the power, even when they are wrong action is taken on the staff - NO PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT (the PD days were a JOKE, just reinforcing the company culture of faking it til you make it, no actual training) - when kids act out violently against teachers, nothing is done - but teachers are blamed when kids hurt other kids - CHAOTIC environment - NO DOORS/FULL WALLS on most classrooms - LONG HOURS sometimes without breaks (illegally) - class sizes packed to capacity, often going over ratio requirements

4. 3.0
    Current Employee

Dec 10, 2015 - Lead Pre-k Teacher in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pros are being able to make a difference in the children's lives. Even the ones that disrespect the teachers in many ways. Being able to relate to parents, because I am parent myself. Being able to work with great staff. Even though working with all females can be hard sometimes!

Cons

I don't understand why the company waste soo much money on things that is not useful. Someone said it early, how much money was wasted on the red glasses at PDD. The company just rolled out CarTalk...what is the purpose of this, when we do it anyway through communication, individual family communication sheets and What We Learn Today? How much money was spent on that. Curriculum hasn't changed much. I feel like we talk about the same things over and over again. Where are the art projects in the KU curriculum? Parents are paying a lot of money to have things done redundantly , especially if they have a bother or sister. Honestly, parents bring their children here because of the staff. Word of mouth about how this teacher does this or that teacher does that. Its not about curriculum, it is about the staff and how they implement things. Speaking of staff...let's just say the company needs to do a better job taking care of their staff. The PDD events can be a little different every year. I just read by the end of 2015, KU will be worth 39 BILLION.. Soooooo......

5. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

If this were a marriage, I'd be filing for divorce

Jul 24, 2012 - IT Department in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Still a good group of talented, professional people. At the functional levels co-workers are fun and productive to work with; people are still committed to their jobs and doing what's right for the organization. Pretty good work/life balance. We can still be proud of what we do, and the children and families who are our customers.

Cons

Going on on 4+ years with no raises and no bonuses, mediocre benefits, poor mid-level management, hypocritical corporate culture and values -- it is not the caring, respectful, positive, and enlighten organization that they like to talk about in the interviews. Note: The relatively new CEO, Tom Wyatt, is a complete and refreshing change from the previous two regimes of senior executive management, which were horrible and incompetent, and he is beginning to get some traction on changing the organization and the culture for the better -- so, hopefully optimistic.

8 people found this review helpful
  6. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Unstable

Sep 30, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Littleton, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

When I first started it was a great working environment. I loved the people I worked with. It was fun. We felt like we were making a difference in the lives of children

Cons

Leadership changes the direction every 6 months. They continually change the mission and charter statements. How can you see if the direction they've chosen will make a difference if they change it 6 months later? They lay off, they hire, they lay off again. My last manager went into my time card and deleted my overtime because I was over 40 hours. Very illegal! But all she cared about was budget. There were other ways it could have been handled like reducing my vacation time. You can't just remove time I've worked! So, also unethical. And how many thousands of dollars did they spend on that employee engagement survey? They told us we'd have a say and be able to voice our opinions. They built it up so much, for so many months. When we finally took it, it was a joke! There were no places to voice our opinions or have our say. Who cares if we have a best friend at work? I will never have a "best friend" at work. Does "someone" at work care about you? Sure, I'm sure that someone in these 80 people care about me! What a waste of time and money! I'm sure result have improved as you've laid off so many people!

5 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work and feel like I'm making a difference

Apr 13, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Management makes me feel like I am a valuable asset to the company. I'm encouraged to seek educational opportunities and become a better employee. The work environment is great, laid back but everyone gets their work done. Employees take pride in their work and it shows across the board from the field to the National Support Center. Tom Wyatt has taken casual Friday to casual Monday through Friday and it makes for a comfortable environment that is conducive to productivity. Management takes an interest in their employees and strives to make the work environment a healthy place to be. Random Acts of Kindness week was amazing!! You don't see that in many companies. Encouraging service values in all areas of the company makes this a great place to work.

Cons

Benefits are expensive and coverage isn't up to the average given by other employers. Mail order prescription benefits for maintenance medication is not a good plan. Overall this is a minor con compared to all the positive aspects of working for a great company

8. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

A very busy work environment

Jul 3, 2020 - Operations in Folsom, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Full time schedule is encouraged/necessary

Cons

Lack of cooperativeness from other departments

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company!

Sep 6, 2015 - Teacher in Katy, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

It is a very fun, warm, and exciting environment working with children and all the teachers there. Benefits are great and management really takes care of their employees. It is a new world everyday with kids! They are so loving and that is the best part about this job. Another pro is that this company is all over the USA so you can relocate anywhere and just transfer! It's great to know that I can impact the lives of hundreds of thousands of children while working here.

Cons

Working with small children is exhausting and you will need the energy, but it is worth it! Being a student and a teacher, it is difficult to work part-time in this company especially if you are a lead teacher. Overtime is very hard to get approved but so very much needed with all the work you need to get done.

3 people found this review helpful
  10. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Teacher (PreK, School Age, Preschool)

Jun 4, 2014 - Lead Teacher in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Loved the employees, families and center director, which made working for KinderCare tolerable.

Cons

I was actually excited to work with the company and to soon teach and interact with kids. However I quickly realized how revenue obsessed this company is. I get it, you have to make money to survive. However, the financial boundary we had to work with was borderline insane. How can you give kids quality interaction when labor hours were literally enforced down to the bone? But as soon as our center had amazing teachers, the parents noticed this and kept their children enrolled (hey that's great). At the same time, our classroom received more new children and we were actually maxed out in every room. Teachers were stressed out, burnt out and it turned into daycare rather a school atmosphere. I feel terrible for the incredible teachers that will soon be leaving because they cannot deal with the lack of support, labor hours and funds from the corporate office. Bottom line, NO EDUCATION company teaching young children should be for-profit, which KU is. And if you do a good job and your classroom stays filled, you aren't rewarded, of course besides the positive interactions with kids. Period. It truly is the fast food of education. Teachers, get jobs at independent or privately owned schools. Parents, NEVER enroll your children in a crowded classroom when you tour.

2 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 217 Reviews

Knowledge Universe Reviews FAQs

Knowledge Universe has an overall rating of 2.6 out of 5, based on over 225 reviews left anonymously by employees. 34% of employees would recommend working at Knowledge Universe to a friend and 28% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Knowledge Universe employees rate their compensation and benefits as 2.8 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Knowledge Universe. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

34% of Knowledge Universe employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Knowledge Universe 2.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 2.7 for culture and values and 2.6 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Knowledge Universe to be coworkers and the cons to be benefits, senior leadership, career development.