Knowledgent "401k matching" Reviews | Glassdoor

Knowledgent Employee Reviews about "401k matching"

Updated Dec 21, 2018

3.1
Knowledgent CEO Peter Gibson and Shail Jain (no image)
Peter Gibson and Shail Jain
Pros
  • "working with latest big data technologies and AWS(in 24 reviews)

• "Smart people, innovative thinking, work location flexibility(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Not every project is in big data(in 12 reviews)

• "There's no 401k matching and your vacation time would be considered good if we were in the late 80's(in 10 reviews)

Reviews about "401k matching"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great opportunities to expand data knowledge"

Current Employee - Informationist in Warren, NJ

I have been working at Knowledgent full-time for less than a year

Pros

working with latest big data technologies and AWS

Cons

travel expense limits can be tight, no 401k match

Knowledgent2018-12-21

"Corporate politics. Plenty of other stepping stones."

I worked at Knowledgent full-time for more than a year

Pros

As a first job right out of college, it's not a bad place to start. You learn a good deal more than you would have in college. Of the vast sea of people who like to throw around buzzwords, you'll still find some who actually know what they're talking about. When you get put on a project with a PM who doesn't let people run circles around them, the project ends up turning out pretty great. If you're an... engineer or a data scientist, you'll get to list some tools/software that were used on a project on your resume.

Cons

There's a very good scene from Office Space where the protagonist has to explain to the consultant who came in to help the company downsize that he actually has more than one boss. That is a very good representation of what can happen here. When the client gets sold something that has yet to actually be developed, you may find yourself answering to all sorts of people why something isn't running the way it should or... why something is missing. Not being able to decide whether we are a consulting company or a software company. We can't be both and it has created a good amount of cognitive dissonance in me when I try to explain to someone what it is that I do. It seems that when trying to do both, we end up having software or extensions of software that has not been properly developed. This is made possible with a combination of having a developer switch roles/projects and project dismissal. No real coding standards or review. As a result of this, in addition to what was mentioned above, some code that should never have made it past an initial sprint gets put into production. If you take pride in your work and are forced to commit coding changes to someone else's bad code, you'll essentially be applying band-aid fixes. The only time that I have done something unique was when it was for an extension to some software--and even then the quality isn't where it should be because of the poor project management that happened at the get go. You will sometimes be tasked with doing something that is quite menial. I have seen engineers give instructions for installing software to clients over Skype/WebEx (this includes telling them to type commands into a Linux terminal window) and heard of Business Analysts get meeting minutes (basically reduced to a lite stenographer for those who are unfamiliar with the term). If you find yourself in a position where you have deliverables coming *and* you have to do the menial tasks outlined above, then you will inevitably find yourself in "crunch time." Adding to that, you may sometimes find yourself obligated to attend meetings that do not really require your presence: you and the team gain nothing by you being there; they do lose some valuable development time, however. The amount that you are compensated, amount of vacation time that you receive, and benefits is sub-par in comparison to the rest of the industry. There's no 401k matching and your vacation time would be considered good if we were in the late 80's.

Advice to Management

When a female employee is harassed, don't try to brush it under the rug. Make a public statement. Hold a company-wide meeting. Do *something*. Not only is the act itself wrong and despicable, but when you don't do anything about it, the morale drops significantly more. If you see that an employee is leaving to work from home because they don't have any pressing tasks, please don't see it as a sign of laziness. It... doesn't make any sense to continue being somewhere until rush hour traffic just for the sake of tradition/conformity. PAY your employees what they're worth and LISTEN to their feedback. Have an audit of what pieces of software are worth keeping and which ones should be tossed out. Stop lying to clients & employees and have some proper management. You will save money and have a better reputation for doing so.

Knowledgent2018-08-17

"Fake Reviews & Terrible Management"

I worked at Knowledgent full-time

Pros

They paid me money which I exchanged for goods and services. Most of the juniors, AKA "fast trackers" are nice and easy to work with. If you're lucky, you'll end up on a project with one of the few honest managers and learn some useful skills to find a better job elsewhere.

Cons

A lot of the positive reviews posted here are fake. It's not hard to spot them. The one talking specifically about working at Knowledgent as a woman was submitted solely because of sexual harassment that an ex-employee publicly disclosed this year. Sales people only care about getting projects started. Once the SOW is signed, good luck getting any support. You will be understaffed with the wrong people and left... to fend for yourself. SOWs are often vague - this lets clients abuse your team by constantly changing requirements and rejecting deliverables. The project will run over time and budget and you will be stuck doing work in perpetual "crunch time" until everything is perfect. It's no wonder so few clients ever continue working with Knowledgent. Corners will be cut wherever possible to maximize profits for the people running the company. Juniors are billed as "senior" consultants to clients at 2-3x their actual salary (this is the reason why Knowledgent started hiring so many college students) with little resources to deliver anything other than a rushed mess. Bonuses aren't given and raises are far under industry standard. There are no little to no standards for deliverables, especially for technical employees. The environment is a nightmare for anyone who values quality work. Knowledgent touts the "success" of their fast track program as having a high retention rate, yet most young employees share concerns about job security and inefficient upper management. New hires are often forced onto projects where zero marketable skills are learned. Business Analysts are reduced to exclusively taking "meeting minutes" while Engineers are stuck learning whatever piece of software Sales is currently supposed to sell to clients (right now it's Talend). Not surprisingly, most of the younger talent leaves after picking up the minimum amount of skills required to find a better job. Headhunters for Knowledgent offer potential recruits high salaries to quit their steady jobs and join for a "solid" project. They will keep you on for as long as necessary, then fire you shortly after you hit the bench. It's common to see someone for a few months, then have their name disappear from the email system and never see them again. There is no job security here unless you know someone at the top or take on so much responsibility that you become irreplaceable. The benefits are sub-par for the industry - high copays, not a lot of PTO / vacation and no 401k matching.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to yourselves, your employees and your clients. Build a work environment where people are not afraid to voice their concerns lest they be suddenly fired or suggested to leave. Support your projects and staff each role properly. Stop letting Sales run wild with garbage SOWs. Attempt to create business relationships which last longer than one engagement.

Knowledgent2018-08-05

"Manipulative Management - Everything they do is an act"

I worked at Knowledgent full-time

Pros

I was given a huge leg up in big data, I learned a huge range of tools (sometimes under pressure of management, but more on that later) People on projects had a sense of camaraderie, and everyone was really fun to work with. Assuming you were lucky enough to be on a friendly team that is.

Cons

It did not matter what my skills were, I was often billed to the client as someone I was not. This often resulted in me having to spend weekends learning something new just because management had been less than truthful with the client. I was discouraged from taking any PTO and was made to feel like I would be letting my teammates down if I took any time off. I have seen more than a few fake reviews on here.... Isn't it interesting that right after a sexual harassment claim was made against management in an open letter, the review "As a female employee working for Knowledgent - Awesome place to work - Equal opportunities and growth" showed up?? Clients are constantly lied to by sales people, and it comes down to team members to bust their butts to make the (somewhat) impossible, possible. This is a body shop through and through. If they do not currently have a desperate need for your skills, you will be given the boot. Usually this is done under the guise of you 'under performing'. I saw an unbelievable amount of people being walked out the door, while management scrambled to hire more people straight out of college. I think this is probably so they can eliminate expensive employees and replace them with cheap ones. If the project fails, it is always the project team's fault according to management. You will be berated, embarrassed, and generally abused. Even if you did exactly what was asked, it is your fault. I saw employees be promised extra vacation for working weekends. Of course, when confronted and asked for vacation, management denied ever saying it. Peter Gibson's ultimate goal is to sell the company. It is not a secret. I doubt they will be around for long. While they do offer 401k match (the recruiter told me it would 'kick in pretty quickly after joining'), it does not happen until 3 years into your tenure. No one lasts that long except for people who were with them at management's previous company. You will be promised a raise "soon" but soon will never come. Just stay away. Seriously.

Advice to Management

Your most valuable asset is your employees. Try listening to them Stop having employees leave untruthful reviews on glassdoor Fire Bob. Fire most of your managers. Shail, they are running your company into the ground.

Knowledgent2018-08-19

"Beware, YMMV"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Knowledgent full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compensation is OK. The salary is above average, but the variable pay (bonus and shares) is non existent. Total comp is average at best. There are some talented individuals within the organization that are enjoyable to work with and learn from. Unfortunately, the most talented people are often misused and leave the company quickly.

Cons

Management: Poor management at senior levels and a lack of organizational direction. Makes decisions on random whims or personal feelings rather than supporting evidence or facts. Has a poor understanding of company strengths and weaknesses, and even poorer ability to adjust to market changes. Senior management enacts reorgs and strategy changes every year around the end of the year (has happened 4 years in a row).... This results in everyone being assigned a new manager a couple of weeks before yearly reviews are due. Thus, your yearly reviews are always done by someone who is unfamiliar with your contributions. This is often used as an excuse for poor raises/bonuses/etc. Career Development: Zero consideration for career development. The only thing that matters is if you are billing hours or selling contracts. If you are not billing, you will probably be let go. Most project work at its core are just project management or staff-aug business analysis or software development. Benefits: No 401k matching. 2 weeks vacation. Stock options are worthless. Beware. The only people who stay with the company are those who have been there since the beginning. There is a reason for that.

Advice to Management

Management would be better off being honest with employees and listening to feedback.

Knowledgent2017-12-25

"Informationist"

I worked at Knowledgent

Pros

Travel opportunities and work from home. They offer fairly priced health/dental/vision insurance. The pay wasn’t bad. This is all of the pros I could honestly list without misleading anybody into thinking this was a good and honest organization.

Cons

Stay Away!!!! They are a company that treats employees horribly. They promise you the world to get you on board. Once hired you are put on a project and then disregarded when they no longer need you. The PTO is way under industry standards. You are only given 2 weeks of PTO and 1 week of sick time. You must be employees for three months before you can even take a day off with pay. Lack of knowledge from... project managers. They also allow the clients to abuse their Informationists. No 401K match. They will also bench you with no warning or appropriate reason. Employees out 100% travel expenses in their own credit card and Knowledgent takes way too long to reimburse employees.

Advice to Management

Get corporate cards so employees do not have to fight to get reimbursed. Put project managers on projects that they actually know something about. You should not allow your project managers or the clients abuse the employees as they do.

Knowledgent2017-12-11

"Good pay but an extremely insecure environment that led to toxicity"

I worked at Knowledgent full-time

Pros

-Above average market salary -Challenging Clients and Projects -Sometimes good colleagues

Cons

-Insecure environment -Toxic Culture -No training provided -No choice in project placement (doesn't matter what expectations were set during interview) -Project Leads and Partners are insecure bully sharks with the ability to sell -Detriment to mental health -No 401k matching -No work life balance

Knowledgent2017-09-30
  8. "Good benefits package"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Warren, NJ

I have been working at Knowledgent full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good health and dental insurance at a reasonable price. Reasonably priced LTD. 401K.

Cons

No 401K matching. No stock options. So far no bonus.

Advice to Management

Adding 401k matching with a vestin period might be a good idea to increase employee retention.

Knowledgent2017-03-04

"ok place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Knowledgent full-time for less than a year

Pros

talented team members, very good working relationship with the clients

Cons

average pay, no 401k match, no bonus, no trainings

Advice to Management

please have clear communication with the employees about their growth not just the projects and work. Please be transparent on review/raise schedule

Knowledgent2015-07-28

"Good company for the right person."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Knowledgent full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of challenging work. Some really smart people. All current technologies. Starting new initiatives to ensure consistent delivery methodologies and new employee orientation and training. Competitive salaries. Also just put a new peer to peer coaching program in place which seems promising.

Cons

Lots of travel - most new clients are not local. Just starting to really put a consistent methodology and proper new ee on-boarding in place, This has been lacking in the past but mgmt is making an effort to address these issues. No 401K matching.

Advice to Management

Continue to increase communication to the staff.

Knowledgent2015-03-11