Knowledgent Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Peter Gibson and Shail Jain

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Its very exciting to work in the big data space" (in 22 reviews)

• "This is a great place to work if you are, or aspire to be, a thought-leading professional in the data and analytics space" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-life balance is not something this crew is familiar with so if that's important to you, move along" (in 6 reviews)

• "This is a body shop through and through" (in 9 reviews)

"So far, so good"

Current Employee - Financial Services Architect in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Services Architect in New York, NY

I have been working at Knowledgent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have spent most of my career working in the Financial Services industry. Transitioning to a consulting company was a new experience for me, though I certainly served as an internal consultant to my business and technology partners within industry.

I have had a very positive experience working at Knowledgent thus far. What I have enjoyed most about my experience to date is:
    - Challenging data and analytic engagements where I get to contribute to solving complex problems
    - I feel empowered to serve my client and make decisions for the project
    - My teammates are very talented and there is mutual learning from each other
    - I have learned a lot and have been afforded many opportunities for training on new tools/solutions
    - My travel has been limited to my metro area (NYC/NJ/CT)
    - There are growth opportunities - I have experienced them, and I see them in front of me

Cons

The things I have had to learn to become comfortable with are:
    - Balancing project work and demands with competency development and interviewing new talent

Advice to Management

Bring the company together as a whole at least once per year. I understand Kmmersion has been a tremendous event in prior years.

"Data & Analytics Birds of a Feather"

I have been working at Knowledgent full-time

Pros

This is a great place to work if you are, or aspire to be, a thought-leading professional in the data and analytics space. The company is full of highly intelligent people who are eager to collaborate and share knowledge. The projects the company is delivering in Healthcare and Life Sciences are groundbreaking and challenging...You won't be bored.

Cons

Structure and top-down communication are lacking, so new employees can feel lost in the shuffle.

Advice to Management

Implement clearer lines of authority and over-communicate.

"Experience"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Knowledgent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been with the company for 3 1/2 yrs and have worked in insurance before that....I've received some very good support and on job training while working on projects. Learning more about data analytics and visualization than i would have if i stayed in insurance.

Cons

at times the travel is challenging

Advice to Management

would like to get an opportunity to work on larger engagement

"Strong Data and Information Governance for Financial Services"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Knowledgent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have learned a lot in my time here regarding Data Governance. Knowledgent is deep in this space, particularly within financial services. They have a lot of experience helping FS firms with governance projects in support of regulatory responses. Also have developed a strong offering around governance for the lake/cloud environment.

Cons

Should share more of the work being done across clients.

"Consulting Firm with Good Projects"

Current Employee - Informationist in Warren, NJ
    Current Employee - Informationist in Warren, NJ

I have been working at Knowledgent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great at finding good projects.

Cons

Company has a very high turnover.

"Corporate politics. Plenty of other stepping stones."

I worked at Knowledgent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a first job right out of college, it's not a bad place to start. You learn a good deal more than you would have in college.

Of the vast sea of people who like to throw around buzzwords, you'll still find some who actually know what they're talking about.

When you get put on a project with a PM who doesn't let people run circles around them, the project ends up turning out pretty great.

If you're an engineer or a data scientist, you'll get to list some tools/software that were used on a project on your resume.

Cons

There's a very good scene from Office Space where the protagonist has to explain to the consultant who came in to help the company downsize that he actually has more than one boss. That is a very good representation of what can happen here. When the client gets sold something that has yet to actually be developed, you may find yourself answering to all sorts of people why something isn't running the way it should or why something is missing.

Not being able to decide whether we are a consulting company or a software company. We can't be both and it has created a good amount of cognitive dissonance in me when I try to explain to someone what it is that I do. It seems that when trying to do both, we end up having software or extensions of software that has not been properly developed. This is made possible with a combination of having a developer switch roles/projects and project dismissal.

No real coding standards or review. As a result of this, in addition to what was mentioned above, some code that should never have made it past an initial sprint gets put into production. If you take pride in your work and are forced to commit coding changes to someone else's bad code, you'll essentially be applying band-aid fixes. The only time that I have done something unique was when it was for an extension to some software--and even then the quality isn't where it should be because of the poor project management that happened at the get go.

You will sometimes be tasked with doing something that is quite menial. I have seen engineers give instructions for installing software to clients over Skype/WebEx (this includes telling them to type commands into a Linux terminal window) and heard of Business Analysts get meeting minutes (basically reduced to a lite stenographer for those who are unfamiliar with the term).

If you find yourself in a position where you have deliverables coming *and* you have to do the menial tasks outlined above, then you will inevitably find yourself in "crunch time." Adding to that, you may sometimes find yourself obligated to attend meetings that do not really require your presence: you and the team gain nothing by you being there; they do lose some valuable development time, however.

The amount that you are compensated, amount of vacation time that you receive, and benefits is sub-par in comparison to the rest of the industry. There's no 401k matching and your vacation time would be considered good if we were in the late 80's.

Advice to Management

When a female employee is harassed, don't try to brush it under the rug. Make a public statement. Hold a company-wide meeting. Do *something*. Not only is the act itself wrong and despicable, but when you don't do anything about it, the morale drops significantly more.

If you see that an employee is leaving to work from home because they don't have any pressing tasks, please don't see it as a sign of laziness. It doesn't make any sense to continue being somewhere until rush hour traffic just for the sake of tradition/conformity.

PAY your employees what they're worth and LISTEN to their feedback.

Have an audit of what pieces of software are worth keeping and which ones should be tossed out.

Stop lying to clients & employees and have some proper management. You will save money and have a better reputation for doing so.

"You can grow if you are among them"

Former Employee - Senior Data Architect in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Data Architect in New York, NY

I worked at Knowledgent (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely No reason to work there

Cons

If you do not know project managers, and other, you are just a worker. They do lot of advertisements , arrange big conferences, but there is no chance to grow if you do not know anyone.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employee, trust them; don't rely on project managers' comments.

"Fake Reviews & Terrible Management"

I worked at Knowledgent full-time

Pros

They paid me money which I exchanged for goods and services.

Most of the juniors, AKA "fast trackers" are nice and easy to work with.

If you're lucky, you'll end up on a project with one of the few honest managers and learn some useful skills to find a better job elsewhere.

Cons

A lot of the positive reviews posted here are fake. It's not hard to spot them. The one talking specifically about working at Knowledgent as a woman was submitted solely because of sexual harassment that an ex-employee publicly disclosed this year.

Sales people only care about getting projects started. Once the SOW is signed, good luck getting any support. You will be understaffed with the wrong people and left to fend for yourself. SOWs are often vague - this lets clients abuse your team by constantly changing requirements and rejecting deliverables. The project will run over time and budget and you will be stuck doing work in perpetual "crunch time" until everything is perfect. It's no wonder so few clients ever continue working with Knowledgent.

Corners will be cut wherever possible to maximize profits for the people running the company. Juniors are billed as "senior" consultants to clients at 2-3x their actual salary (this is the reason why Knowledgent started hiring so many college students) with little resources to deliver anything other than a rushed mess. Bonuses aren't given and raises are far under industry standard.

There are no little to no standards for deliverables, especially for technical employees. The environment is a nightmare for anyone who values quality work.

Knowledgent touts the "success" of their fast track program as having a high retention rate, yet most young employees share concerns about job security and inefficient upper management. New hires are often forced onto projects where zero marketable skills are learned. Business Analysts are reduced to exclusively taking "meeting minutes" while Engineers are stuck learning whatever piece of software Sales is currently supposed to sell to clients (right now it's Talend). Not surprisingly, most of the younger talent leaves after picking up the minimum amount of skills required to find a better job.

Headhunters for Knowledgent offer potential recruits high salaries to quit their steady jobs and join for a "solid" project. They will keep you on for as long as necessary, then fire you shortly after you hit the bench. It's common to see someone for a few months, then have their name disappear from the email system and never see them again. There is no job security here unless you know someone at the top or take on so much responsibility that you become irreplaceable.

The benefits are sub-par for the industry - high copays, not a lot of PTO / vacation and no 401k matching.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to yourselves, your employees and your clients. Build a work environment where people are not afraid to voice their concerns lest they be suddenly fired or suggested to leave. Support your projects and staff each role properly. Stop letting Sales run wild with garbage SOWs. Attempt to create business relationships which last longer than one engagement.

"Manipulative Management - Everything they do is an act"

I worked at Knowledgent full-time

Pros

I was given a huge leg up in big data, I learned a huge range of tools (sometimes under pressure of management, but more on that later)

People on projects had a sense of camaraderie, and everyone was really fun to work with. Assuming you were lucky enough to be on a friendly team that is.

Cons

It did not matter what my skills were, I was often billed to the client as someone I was not. This often resulted in me having to spend weekends learning something new just because management had been less than truthful with the client.

I was discouraged from taking any PTO and was made to feel like I would be letting my teammates down if I took any time off.

I have seen more than a few fake reviews on here. Isn't it interesting that right after a sexual harassment claim was made against management in an open letter, the review "As a female employee working for Knowledgent - Awesome place to work - Equal opportunities and growth" showed up??

Clients are constantly lied to by sales people, and it comes down to team members to bust their butts to make the (somewhat) impossible, possible.

This is a body shop through and through. If they do not currently have a desperate need for your skills, you will be given the boot. Usually this is done under the guise of you 'under performing'. I saw an unbelievable amount of people being walked out the door, while management scrambled to hire more people straight out of college. I think this is probably so they can eliminate expensive employees and replace them with cheap ones.

If the project fails, it is always the project team's fault according to management. You will be berated, embarrassed, and generally abused. Even if you did exactly what was asked, it is your fault. I saw employees be promised extra vacation for working weekends. Of course, when confronted and asked for vacation, management denied ever saying it.

Peter Gibson's ultimate goal is to sell the company. It is not a secret. I doubt they will be around for long.

While they do offer 401k match (the recruiter told me it would 'kick in pretty quickly after joining'), it does not happen until 3 years into your tenure. No one lasts that long except for people who were with them at management's previous company.

You will be promised a raise "soon" but soon will never come.

Just stay away. Seriously.

Advice to Management

Your most valuable asset is your employees. Try listening to them

Stop having employees leave untruthful reviews on glassdoor

Fire Bob. Fire most of your managers. Shail, they are running your company into the ground.

"poor experience"

I have been working at Knowledgent full-time

Pros

Just a very poor experience overall.

Cons

none. I would not recommend this company to anyone.