Knowledgent Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 21, 2018

3.3
Peter Gibson and Shail Jain

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "working with latest big data technologies and AWS" (in 24 reviews)

• "This is a great place to work if you are, or aspire to be, a thought-leading professional in the data and analytics space" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "The benefits are sub-par for the industry - high copays, not a lot of PTO / vacation and no 401k matching" (in 9 reviews)

• "Work-life balance is not something this crew is familiar with so if that's important to you, move along" (in 6 reviews)

"So far, so good"

Current Employee - Financial Services Architect in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Services Architect in New York, NY

I have been working at Knowledgent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have spent most of my career working in the Financial Services industry. Transitioning to a consulting company was a new experience for me, though I certainly served as an internal consultant to my business and technology partners within industry.

I have had a very positive experience working at Knowledgent thus far. What I have enjoyed most about my experience to date is:
    - Challenging data and analytic engagements where I get to contribute to solving complex problems
    - I feel empowered to serve my client and make decisions for the project
    - My teammates are very talented and there is mutual learning from each other
    - I have learned a lot and have been afforded many opportunities for training on new tools/solutions
    - My travel has been limited to my metro area (NYC/NJ/CT)
    - There are growth opportunities - I have experienced them, and I see them in front of me

Cons

The things I have had to learn to become comfortable with are:
    - Balancing project work and demands with competency development and interviewing new talent

Advice to Management

Bring the company together as a whole at least once per year. I understand Kmmersion has been a tremendous event in prior years.

2. "Great opportunities to expand data knowledge"

Current Employee - Informationist in Warren, NJ

I have been working at Knowledgent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

working with latest big data technologies and AWS

Cons

travel expense limits can be tight, no 401k match

3. "A lot all at once"

I have been working at Knowledgent full-time

Pros

Big data exposure and very bright people

Cons

Too early to tell at this moment

Advice to Management

Too early to tell at this point

"Data & Analytics Birds of a Feather"

I have been working at Knowledgent full-time

Pros

This is a great place to work if you are, or aspire to be, a thought-leading professional in the data and analytics space. The company is full of highly intelligent people who are eager to collaborate and share knowledge. The projects the company is delivering in Healthcare and Life Sciences are groundbreaking and challenging...You won't be bored.

Cons

Structure and top-down communication are lacking, so new employees can feel lost in the shuffle.

Advice to Management

Implement clearer lines of authority and over-communicate.

"Experience"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Knowledgent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been with the company for 3 1/2 yrs and have worked in insurance before that....I've received some very good support and on job training while working on projects. Learning more about data analytics and visualization than i would have if i stayed in insurance.

Cons

at times the travel is challenging

Advice to Management

would like to get an opportunity to work on larger engagement

"Strong Data and Information Governance for Financial Services"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Knowledgent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have learned a lot in my time here regarding Data Governance. Knowledgent is deep in this space, particularly within financial services. They have a lot of experience helping FS firms with governance projects in support of regulatory responses. Also have developed a strong offering around governance for the lake/cloud environment.

Cons

Should share more of the work being done across clients.

"Bait and Switch"

Former Employee - Informationist in Warren, NJ
    Former Employee - Informationist in Warren, NJ

I worked at Knowledgent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. Don’t work here, it’s not worth it.

Cons

You will work in a completely different industry vertical than hired for.

You won’t have any training support.

If hired as a “Business Analyst” your only job will be taking meeting minutes no matter how involved you want to get.

They will fire you when you finish your first project and hit the bench.

Everyone here is very full of themselves when they are literally the least prestigious and least known software outsourcing house; they are not the consulting group they make themselves out to be.

All of the negative reviews are true, I wish I listened to them before I took the offer.

Don’t take the nice salary and leave your current job this place is terrible, will use you up and spit you back out.

Advice to Management

Fire Caggiano and totally revamp the business analyst position instead of using them as secretaries, it is degrading.

"Corporate politics. Plenty of other stepping stones."

I worked at Knowledgent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a first job right out of college, it's not a bad place to start. You learn a good deal more than you would have in college.

Of the vast sea of people who like to throw around buzzwords, you'll still find some who actually know what they're talking about.

When you get put on a project with a PM who doesn't let people run circles around them, the project ends up turning out pretty great.

If you're an engineer or a data scientist, you'll get to list some tools/software that were used on a project on your resume.

Cons

There's a very good scene from Office Space where the protagonist has to explain to the consultant who came in to help the company downsize that he actually has more than one boss. That is a very good representation of what can happen here. When the client gets sold something that has yet to actually be developed, you may find yourself answering to all sorts of people why something isn't running the way it should or why something is missing.

Not being able to decide whether we are a consulting company or a software company. We can't be both and it has created a good amount of cognitive dissonance in me when I try to explain to someone what it is that I do. It seems that when trying to do both, we end up having software or extensions of software that has not been properly developed. This is made possible with a combination of having a developer switch roles/projects and project dismissal.

No real coding standards or review. As a result of this, in addition to what was mentioned above, some code that should never have made it past an initial sprint gets put into production. If you take pride in your work and are forced to commit coding changes to someone else's bad code, you'll essentially be applying band-aid fixes. The only time that I have done something unique was when it was for an extension to some software--and even then the quality isn't where it should be because of the poor project management that happened at the get go.

You will sometimes be tasked with doing something that is quite menial. I have seen engineers give instructions for installing software to clients over Skype/WebEx (this includes telling them to type commands into a Linux terminal window) and heard of Business Analysts get meeting minutes (basically reduced to a lite stenographer for those who are unfamiliar with the term).

If you find yourself in a position where you have deliverables coming *and* you have to do the menial tasks outlined above, then you will inevitably find yourself in "crunch time." Adding to that, you may sometimes find yourself obligated to attend meetings that do not really require your presence: you and the team gain nothing by you being there; they do lose some valuable development time, however.

The amount that you are compensated, amount of vacation time that you receive, and benefits is sub-par in comparison to the rest of the industry. There's no 401k matching and your vacation time would be considered good if we were in the late 80's.

Advice to Management

When a female employee is harassed, don't try to brush it under the rug. Make a public statement. Hold a company-wide meeting. Do *something*. Not only is the act itself wrong and despicable, but when you don't do anything about it, the morale drops significantly more.

If you see that an employee is leaving to work from home because they don't have any pressing tasks, please don't see it as a sign of laziness. It doesn't make any sense to continue being somewhere until rush hour traffic just for the sake of tradition/conformity.

PAY your employees what they're worth and LISTEN to their feedback.

Have an audit of what pieces of software are worth keeping and which ones should be tossed out.

Stop lying to clients & employees and have some proper management. You will save money and have a better reputation for doing so.

"Consulting Firm with Good Projects"

Current Employee - Informationist in Warren, NJ

I have been working at Knowledgent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great at finding good projects.

Cons

Company has a very high turnover.

"You can grow if you are among them"

Former Employee - Senior Data Architect in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Data Architect in New York, NY

I worked at Knowledgent (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely No reason to work there

Cons

If you do not know project managers, and other, you are just a worker. They do lot of advertisements , arrange big conferences, but there is no chance to grow if you do not know anyone.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employee, trust them; don't rely on project managers' comments.