Kobie Marketing "growing pains" Reviews | Glassdoor

Kobie Marketing Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated Mar 31, 2019

Kobie Marketing CEO Bram Hechtkopf
Bram Hechtkopf
Pros
Cons
  • "Some disconnection between departments and some transitional "growing pains"(in 9 reviews)

• "We have managers to manage managers and no one seems to manage anything(in 5 reviews)

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews

"Great People, Unlimited Potential!!"

I have been working at Kobie Marketing full-time for less than a year

Pros

People care about each other Leaders continuously working on culture New technology moving the business forward You get to work on programs that you interact with every day in your day to day life Competitive pay and benefits Lots of different areas to grow into from a career perspective - Tech, Client Services, Consulting, Creative, Marketing, HR, Finance, Analytics

Cons

Tons of growth created temporary growing pains which are getting better every day!

Kobie Marketing2019-03-31

"Just don't do it!!! ***Please read***"

Former Employee - Developer in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Kobie Marketing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most of the Pros of this place have everything to do with location and zero to do with company. Downtown St Pete is great place to live and work. Great restaurants and venues.

Cons

I would like to be as naïve as the rest of the reviewers and state it’s a “growing pains” issue but Kobie makes no effort to fix any issues. All they do is put lipstick on this pig. For the reviewer who states "Leave if you hate your job", you sound like the typical “yes” person who continues to perpetuate the issues at Kobie. These “yes” people have no back bone, never learned to use the word “no” and even sleep... under the desk from 16 hour days. We keep getting promised changes are coming and things never get better and all that has happened is free fresh fruit on Thursday. Are you tired from working 80 hours a week? Don’t worry there will be fresh fruit on Thursday!!! Under resourced projects? Don’t worry there will be fresh fruit on Thursday!!! Leadership/Client Services/Project Managers promised unobtainable goals?! Don’t worry there will be fresh fruit on Thursday!!! If you are one of those lucky souls who doesn’t have too much piled on their plate you will be awarded a free back massage.

Advice to Management

My advice is more for the people looking at Kobie for employment. There are many other great companies in or coming to St Pete. Take your time before choosing Kobie. You will notice for every bad review there is a “5 star” review. These are more than likely from HR making fake accounts to counterbalance the bad reviews you can tell because the kind of sound similar and I only truly know of maybe a handful of happy... people out of 200 employees. HR is not able to remove bad reviews but they add a ”5 star” review to counteract the bad reviews. They may even offer you above market pay for the job you are applying for, again use your best judgement, all that glitters is not gold. Just don’t do it! They will tell you these reviews are meaningless or untrue. Please use your 6 month probation period to decide for yourself but it won’t take 6 months to realize you have made a mistake joining Kobie.

Kobie Marketing2018-01-30

"Moving forward"

I have been working at Kobie Marketing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working on organizing in a more modern, efficient way. A product and technology that is ripe for some really great things. Great HR department, pay is competitive and co-workers are generally very helpful and nice.

Cons

Some disconnection between departments and some transitional "growing pains".

Advice to Management

Work toward more accurate planning. Include said planning in the sales cycle.

Kobie Marketing2017-06-14

"It Really Is Growing Pains"

I worked at Kobie Marketing for less than a year

Pros

Really great people. Interesting clients. Great location. Management seems to care -- but also not always want to hear the truth.

Cons

Kobie is really 2-3 companies in one. That is what I experienced as part of the "growing pains" everyone seems to be complaining about. There is a big vision, and trying to do everything "loyalty" without having some of the basics in place. Titles and salaries are not aligned with NY, Chicago, DC -- or any major city.

Advice to Management

Decide what kind of company you are and be clear about it -- internally and externally. Are you a loyalty technology company? A loyalty marketing company? A loyalty consulting firm? A turn-key loyalty company? Align your resources and process with the real vision.

Kobie Marketing2017-03-24

"Practice Lead"

Current Employee - Practice Lead in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Kobie Marketing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Open management, amazing weather from the HQ in location in FL, and entrepreneurial culture. Kobie has many different groups within the company so your experience can change as you move through departments and take on new roles. The CEO and management seem to genuinely care about employee happiness and work life balance. Our monthly KPIs have moved from the old days of profit, growth, and revenue to the current... focus on life balance, process improvement, and turnover.

Cons

The area has a laid back culture which can clash with the aggressive nature of marketing agency growth... Especially when Kobie competes with top companies out of NY, Minneapolis, SFO, Dallas, etc. The industry is undergoing seismic shifts from predictable data processing to full service experience management. Anyone working in this space needs to be able to roll with the changes or they might find themselves... frustrated. Some other reviews talk of growing pains, but these are nothing compared to what I've witnessed other companies go through. Those types of reviews aren't helpful and create a false notion of chaos. It's just not the case.

Advice to Management

Kobie's handling growth pretty well. I've been through growth and reductions in other companies. In its past, Kobie has been very collaborative and wide open with employees as it changes and grows. It might be getting too big to try and make everyone happy with every change. To solve for some of this...Kobie has been upping pay and benefits, hiring faster, even more time off. I recommend that Kobie keeps focusing... on what's best for the clients and prioritize those activities and structural changes - you can't lose that way. Employees are happiest when they see successful and quality work and can be proud of what they've accomplished... Far beyond salary and benefits (but we're happy about that too!). I definitely think there are great career opportunities for employees at Kobie when you're entrepreneurial and have a passion for your area. Given the large numbers of new hires (now and in the future), Kobie can do well to serve the others though with a more developed and consistent career paths. Overall. I give it high ranks and despite the opportunities to improve, I consider Kobie the best place I've ever worked. We don't have the mass seasonal lay offs that most agencies face, the CEO is connected, and management is openly working though the issues they find out about.

Kobie Marketing2016-05-07

"It's just like high school!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Kobie Marketing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free coffee, popcorn,and parking A paycheck for working 60 to 80 hours week. Everyone is a "Rock Star"! Always "Working Hard"! No time wasted in "Working Smart"!

Cons

Not actually a marketing company. There's a CX department full of graphic artist and a office in the back filled with garbage Having to work 70 hours a week wasting hours redoing work because it's so disorganized Many of the managers have been with kobie before the Internet was a thing. How long can you keep talking about "growing pains"? Let's start calling it "Incompetent Managers"! Kobie promotes a... culture of prima donnas and back stabbing. It comes down to a popularity contest notice the same people in the photos?

Advice to Management

Dump the "rock stars" and "work hard play hard" buzz words Nothing gets accomplished with 150 Mick Jagger's all working hard and then go out on a all night binge. promote "band members","team players","Get it done and spend time with family and friends" This would fit the narrative of a family owned business with a love of music

Kobie Marketing2016-05-04

"A place where good employees don't stay long"

I have been working at Kobie Marketing

Pros

Good location, nice offices, decent pay scale for the area. If you can actually get away for lunch, there's a lot of nice places in the area. There are some decent coworkers who haven't quit yet, who do their own work and don't have undeserved, bloated egos.

Cons

Most of the glowing postings here on Glassdoor is HR-instituted cheerleading for employees to post positive reviews. The "Growing pains" excuse only works for so long. After a while you have to ask "Why is everything STILL broken, and why are there so many people leaving?". Awful management. Just. Awful. The upper ranks are saturated by friends, fakes and flings. Hardly any of them have a sliver of leadership... experience or subject expertise. Our big focus last year was a charity talent show. Some of my account teams and the creative dept have had over 100% turnover. Our QA dept has never once delivered testing requirements to the rest of the teams. Emails to the HR dept go unanswered until the 3rd or 4th request. The marketing dept is simply unqualified to do anything - obvious to anyone who looks at our site or social feeds. Menawhile, accounts get next to nothing that they are promised. Processes are non-existent. Endless revisions by inept team members drive deadlines longer and make turnarounds ridiculous, but they're constatnly going after new business accounts. I don't know who will work on them, since turnover and incompetence make even simple tasks take forever. The environment only tends to favor people who pass the buck and avoid responsibility. We have an ongoing glut of egos and diva attitudes with no skills to back them up. Best two examples of the company mindset? After filling out the lower floor we were moved into cubicles that were so small that they violated fire codes. The printer had more space than I did. At one holiday party, the outstanding performers - who worked nights, weekends, OT, etc - got rewarded with...an empty wallet. I wish I was making that up. Just hard to imagine this place improving in 6 months or even a year. Sad.

Advice to Management

Clear the decks of all the "legacy" managers who make life unbearable for the teams. Not sure where that is? Look at the teams that have had constant turnover and start there.

Kobie Marketing2016-01-12
  8. "Great place to work with super nice people."

I have been working at Kobie Marketing full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great location in downtown St. Petersburg with paid parking. Management does not micromanage. Given responsibilities and allowed to carry them out. Fun, relaxed (yet fast-paced) working environment. Casual dress code. Management tries to keep family feel of company even as it grows larger.

Cons

Normal growing pains for a company growing at this pace. Still an exciting time to be here.

Advice to Management

Don't need to try so hard to make it "fun."

Kobie Marketing2014-01-07
  9. "Not Just a number!"

I have been working at Kobie Marketing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company allows employees to be part of the growing process. You are empowered to own your work and more important, your opinion matters. Unlike many other companies, you are not just a number. .. You are part of a family. Management interact with associates constantly to ensure that needs are met. Associates are passionate about the work we do and always go the extra mile to ensure that our clients are taken... care of. We work hard, We play hard….

Cons

Like any growing company, growing pains are inevitable. Kobie is adjusting and embracing new challenges.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on your employees and the rest will take care of itself.

Kobie Marketing2013-12-03