Koch Industries Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Koch Industries Chairman and CEO Charles G. Koch
Charles G. Koch

Pros
Cons
  • No work/life balance during compliance season (in 25 reviews)

• Upper management had a table to eat at but most other people ate at their cubicle (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great culture & huge organization = ample opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worked at Koch a decade in four separate Koch companies. Company culture is solid. Never once, in ten years, have I seen something I considered immoral or illegal. Good people - mostly midwestern. Koch doesn't recruit from Ivy League for a reason. People here care about their families and work good hours. Parking lot is nearly empty by 5:30 pm each day.

With so many subsidiaries, there is ample opportunity to change companies, cities, and/or roles. Unless you're a Director-level role or higher, most people are moving around every 2-3 years.

Koch is seeing a lot of baby boomer retirements, and a lot of millennials are coming in the door. Huge intern program (200+ interns each summer). Koch is responding fairly well to this and permitting individual teams/companies to be flexible as needed with millennial demands, however, this place is nowhere near a "start-up" culture. Dress is business-casual, most people are in cubes, there are no beanbags, no gym, no dogs at work.

If you live in Wichita and work at Koch HQ: pay is higher than local comparables, and cost of living is dirt cheap. This is a GREAT combination.

Koch cares very much for its employees. I've seen countless examples of Koch bending over backwards for people and their personal lives - illnesses, death in family, natural disaster, raising funds, charity work. It's really incredible.

Open door policy - I have zero doubt that, right now, I could walk into Mr. Koch's office with a concern or idea and he would welcome me with a huge smile. Management here is so receptive and so kind. It's very humbling.

Cons

Very few.

As I read through "cons" on Glassdoor, it's a shame to think that candidates may read them and presume the cons apply to Koch Industries overall. Koch has more than 100k employees, in hundreds of offices throughout the world. Most complaints seem pretty specific to one group or one disgruntled employee. If you're here more than a few months, chances are the problem will self-resolve. I've had more than a dozen bosses during my time here. Some were better than others, but none were terrible. HR and Compliance are extremely receptive to concerns and will shift things as needed.

Dec 12, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. You are right that we absolutely value feedback from our employees, so thank you for sharing yours! Continue to foster all the pieces that ... More

"Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Very positive work environment
    - Managers are top of the line (strongest point)
    - Every employee enjoys coming to work

Cons

- No cons for this employer

"Koch Business Solutions Review"

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time

Pros

I have really enjoyed my time at Koch and it has been a very different experience compared to other companies I have worked for. I believe the difference comes down to Koch being privately held and operating under its Market Based Management Business Philosophy. My experience personally has been that Koch pays for value creation and not seniority. The expectation has also been set with me that I own my career and that there is not a one size fits all career path. Those two things alone were extremely refreshing to me based on other companies I have worked for. The working environment has been extremely respectful and I have enjoyed the ability to challenge the status quo at all levels. I have seen that leaders are very open to different and new ways of doing things and they actively seek out my thoughts and opinions on things.

Cons

Some of the none core benefits like flexible scheduling and work from home are not utilized often in the Wichita location. It does however seem they are used often throughout other Koch locations. I was a part of an engagement survey that HR conducted and I have seen quite a bit of positive change come from that. However, a lot of that change has seemed to come in other locations based on conversations I have had with other colleagues. Either way, I think our leaders and HR are focusing on the right things and that will make Koch and even better place to work then it already is.

Advice to Management

Feedback given above. There is an opportunity to work on non core benefits to ensure we are competitive in the market and allowing for a good work/life balance.

Mar 13, 2017 – HR Recruiter

We are pleased to hear the positive feedback on your overall experience at Koch Business Solutions. At Koch, Market Based Management is at the core of what drives our corporate culture and I am glad ... More

5. "Buyer"

Pros

Guiding principals are utilized regularly

Cons

The facility level can be challenging

"Good Advancement"

I worked at Koch Industries part-time

Pros

Good Coworkers and nice company perks

Cons

You have to drink the culture lemonade

Mar 13, 2017

Thank you for sharing your feedback! I have to say we have heard the "culture lemonade" comment before and we certainly can't deny we have a specific company culture and we hold folks to it. We ... More

7. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company culture
    Great people to be around
    Numerous career opportunities
    Learning environment

Cons

I have had a great ten years at this employer!

Mar 13, 2017

Thank you for 1. your service to the company and 2. for sharing your feedback! We are very happy to hear when someone has seen a solid career, but also mention the people and the culture! Fulfillment ... More

"HR"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company culture, intelligent co-workers and development opportunities

Cons

Can be demanding work hours

9. "Unconventional atmosphere, Good mobility, Challenging opportunities, not for everyone"

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time

Pros

Fair compensation, always a new challenge available, no rigid progression lines, only limited by yourself

Cons

Occasionally work with people in the wrong roles, stereotypes are hard to break, good downward communication but not much going upward

Advice to Management

Loyalty to people is good except hen it costs you good people that could move you forward. Some people appear to be in protected roles, while others are expendable. No one is trying to fool you.

10. "Pipefitter technician I handle the day to day task of perform fits for plant structures in the chemical plant industry"

Current Employee - Pipeline Technician in Mont Belvieu, TX
    Current Employee - Pipeline Technician in Mont Belvieu, TX

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very well diversified, opportunity for growth in which every field you choose. Show interest and the will to learn the possibilities are endless

Cons

Paid time off is pretty much out the question in the beginning. You have to accumulate years of work history.

Advice to Management

Upper management is fair. Of course on all levels you have to sleep with one eye open there's going to be someone that looks at things negatively

11. "Project Development"

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Can be time consuming - need to work extra