Koch Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Koch Industries Chairman and CEO Charles G. Koch
Charles G. Koch

Pros
Cons
  • No work/life balance during compliance season (in 26 reviews)

• Unless you are upper management you are just a number (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great culture & huge organization = ample opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worked at Koch a decade in four separate Koch companies. Company culture is solid. Never once, in ten years, have I seen something I considered immoral or illegal. Good people - mostly midwestern. Koch doesn't recruit from Ivy League for a reason. People here care about their families and work good hours. Parking lot is nearly empty by 5:30 pm each day.

With so many subsidiaries, there is ample opportunity to change companies, cities, and/or roles. Unless you're a Director-level role or higher, most people are moving around every 2-3 years.

Koch is seeing a lot of baby boomer retirements, and a lot of millennials are coming in the door. Huge intern program (200+ interns each summer). Koch is responding fairly well to this and permitting individual teams/companies to be flexible as needed with millennial demands, however, this place is nowhere near a "start-up" culture. Dress is business-casual, most people are in cubes, there are no beanbags, no gym, no dogs at work.

If you live in Wichita and work at Koch HQ: pay is higher than local comparables, and cost of living is dirt cheap. This is a GREAT combination.

Koch cares very much for its employees. I've seen countless examples of Koch bending over backwards for people and their personal lives - illnesses, death in family, natural disaster, raising funds, charity work. It's really incredible.

Open door policy - I have zero doubt that, right now, I could walk into Mr. Koch's office with a concern or idea and he would welcome me with a huge smile. Management here is so receptive and so kind. It's very humbling.

Cons

Very few.

As I read through "cons" on Glassdoor, it's a shame to think that candidates may read them and presume the cons apply to Koch Industries overall. Koch has more than 100k employees, in hundreds of offices throughout the world. Most complaints seem pretty specific to one group or one disgruntled employee. If you're here more than a few months, chances are the problem will self-resolve. I've had more than a dozen bosses during my time here. Some were better than others, but none were terrible. HR and Compliance are extremely receptive to concerns and will shift things as needed.

Dec 12, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. You are right that we absolutely value feedback from our employees, so thank you for sharing yours! Continue to foster all the pieces that ... More

2. "Applications Engineer"

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company culture, good benefits. Definitely a place to build a long term career.

Cons

Company has bonus program, but is secretive on its amount and requirements for meeting. This isn't a big con, but it would be nice to know what it takes to get it.

Advice to Management

Make bonus program more visible. A bonus program doesn't make a good incentive to employees when no one knows what it is or what it takes to earn.

3. "Good business philosophy, bad career development"

Former Employee - Market Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Market Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

MBM is actually a good framework. Koch is a good place to get your career started and learn valuable business skills. The people are generally nice and willing to help you out.

Cons

The company has become more bureaucratic over the years with layers of management. If you're not senior management, it is very difficult to get recognized or rewarded. Management does everything they can to keep costs low and employees replaceable. Politics plays a strong role in who gets opportunities.

Advice to Management

Reward and incentivize your strongest employees properly. Have higher standards for talent.

5. "Corporate world"

Former Employee - Senior Accounting Assistant in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Senior Accounting Assistant in Wichita, KS

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is a good place to get your foot in the door.

Cons

Unless you are upper management you are just a number.

Advice to Management

Get feedback from employees and take action on items that are discussed

"Good company"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people doing some great stuff

Cons

There have been a lot of layoffs lately -- people are nervous

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees

"KII Review"

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best culture and group of people I've ever worked with. The challenge culture is something that is invaluable for an employer to embrace and promote, and the expectation of everyone to challenge the status quo drives great dialog and breeds a culture of innovation. KII is a large enterprise with an abundance of opportunity, and for the most part the mental model to select first on values and beliefs creates a competitive advantage.

Cons

Senior management at the corporate level is somewhat disconnected from what employees value and modern work practices in the market. Based on anecdotal evidence and hard facts I've been exposed to, KII is falling behind the market in digital business, work/life balance, some benefits, and non-financial incentives.

Advice to Management

Challenge yourselves to be more receptive to radical change in the way the modern workplace operates. Listen to those that have the most exposure to front-line employees, and shift some of your older mental models.

8. "Good people hard to promote"

Former Employee - Expeditor in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Expeditor in Tulsa, OK

Pros

Great benefits, nice facilities, friendly people. Manufacturing jobs are all in a climate controlled environment.

Cons

If not maintaining a high profit percentage (more than 25%) no pay raises.
    May layoff without prior notice.

Advice to Management

Use the guidelines given by the owner when evaluating employee value.

9. "No room to move up. They try and keep you down."

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Wichita, KS

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There aren't any pros in this company. We are just bodies

Cons

Turn over is high and your job is not valued.

Advice to Management

Have none that the would listen to

Apr 25, 2017 – Social Media Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Feedback is a valuable learning tool. As stated in our Guiding Principles, we are desirous that all employees find fulfillment and meaning in their ... More

"Koch Business Solutions Review"

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time

Pros

I have really enjoyed my time at Koch and it has been a very different experience compared to other companies I have worked for. I believe the difference comes down to Koch being privately held and operating under its Market Based Management Business Philosophy. My experience personally has been that Koch pays for value creation and not seniority. The expectation has also been set with me that I own my career and that there is not a one size fits all career path. Those two things alone were extremely refreshing to me based on other companies I have worked for. The working environment has been extremely respectful and I have enjoyed the ability to challenge the status quo at all levels. I have seen that leaders are very open to different and new ways of doing things and they actively seek out my thoughts and opinions on things.

Cons

Some of the none core benefits like flexible scheduling and work from home are not utilized often in the Wichita location. It does however seem they are used often throughout other Koch locations. I was a part of an engagement survey that HR conducted and I have seen quite a bit of positive change come from that. However, a lot of that change has seemed to come in other locations based on conversations I have had with other colleagues. Either way, I think our leaders and HR are focusing on the right things and that will make Koch and even better place to work then it already is.

Advice to Management

Feedback given above. There is an opportunity to work on non core benefits to ensure we are competitive in the market and allowing for a good work/life balance.

Mar 13, 2017 – HR Recruiter

We are pleased to hear the positive feedback on your overall experience at Koch Business Solutions. At Koch, Market Based Management is at the core of what drives our corporate culture and I am glad ... More

11. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company culture
    Great people to be around
    Numerous career opportunities
    Learning environment

Cons

I have had a great ten years at this employer!

Mar 13, 2017

Thank you for 1. your service to the company and 2. for sharing your feedback! We are very happy to hear when someone has seen a solid career, but also mention the people and the culture! Fulfillment ... More