Koch Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Koch Industries Chairman and CEO Charles G. Koch
Charles G. Koch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Competitive Work Environment, the company lives and breaths market based management (in 13 reviews)

• It was a great company to build the working skills I still use to this day (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Do not work to ensure employee has a work/life balance (in 28 reviews)

• Don't waste your time unless you know upper management very well and are already someone they like (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"6 years and loving it"

Current Employee - Cloud Optimization Engineer in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Cloud Optimization Engineer in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Koch Industries prides itself on living by their 10 guiding principles and 5 dimensions of MBM. While there are going to be spots here & there that don't always adhere to our values, those employees are few and far between, and typically they never reach a leadership position where it could negatively impact those around them.

I started my experience as a consultant on the Service Desk and quickly found myself being invited on as a full time employee. Since that time, I have changed positions a few times, which has always been a strong increase in fulfillment. Each of my new positions I moved toward was a "stretch position", in that I didn't feel FULLY confident with the role. But that's a good thing because I could be honest with my leadership, get the training I would need for the position, and watch myself grow as an employee.

Leadership in this company understands that fulfillment is multi-dimensional. Whether it is the work/life balance, salary, flexible work hours, or even just the fulfillment of increased responsibilities, they are willing to work with their employees to find the best situations.

Today, we find ourselves in a fast paced, changing environment. It is a great time to get onboard and ride the wave! I am 6 years in, and I'm ready for plenty more as the adventures never cease.

Cons

(very minor) Dress code is business casual - slacks and a nice shirt for guys, more flexible for women. Rumors have floated around for years about allowing (nice) jeans as part of the dress code, which would be very welcome. Some of the newer locations (such as Reno) are already more flexible in this way.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. In my six year tenure I have seen lots of progressive movements in the areas of work/life balance and flexible hours. I would love to see a more flexible dress code. Those with vendor/business meetings should have the foresight to dress appropriately for those situations, and I'm certain that there would be very few (if any) issues in this space.

Feb 19, 2018 – HR Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your experience at Koch with us and anyone considering employment at Koch. We are very glad to hear that your leadership team has found different ways to aid in your... More

2. "Nice change of pace"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I transitioned to Koch Industries after spending years at a 100,000 employee consulting firm. The change is quite dramatic. Now I am directly compensated for the value I produce, not my title or position. I receive training and support from my supervisor instead of the sink or swim approach. I am allowed to pursue the highest profit tasks in my daily work and I am rewarded for seeking out opportunities to share knowledge. I am also rewarded for challenging the status quo whether it be culture or a business process. This was strongly discouraged at the consulting firm. There, if top management didn't think of it, we weren't allowed to pursue it. I enjoy the opportunity to treat my job like a small company. This leads me to consider all my tasks from a profitability standpoint, rather than a checklist. My supervisors have genuinely cared about my success and fulfillment rather than treating me as a burden and easily replaceable asset.

Cons

Remember, similar to life, experiences may differ. Not all areas in Koch are equal. I have friends in other Koch companies who are not treated according to company values nor directly rewarded for their contribution. This is slowly changing for the better, but we are a large company. This change will increase pace as managers age out of the company.

Advice to Management

Competitors are racing ahead of us in innovation and technology adoption. If we didn't have such high barriers to entry in our industries we would be in trouble. This is a good company, don't let it die due to short-sighted decisions that increase current profitability at the expense of long term value creation.

3. "Koch in Atlanta Ga"

I worked at Koch Industries full-time

Pros

KOCH has lots of money so when economy is down, they still have money to buy new companies and expand. Occasional spot bonus if you can get on the right project .

Cons

Raises are far between, not uncommon for 5+ years between increases. Many coworkers moved on for this reason. Work that would exceed expectations at most companies will only get you a meeting expectations at Koch. Always more work than time.

Advice to Management

Don't make employees go to quarterly meetings where all companies talk about how well they are doing and then not give pay increases for years. The job market in Wichita is different but most Atlanta IT persons could easily make as much or more at other companies.

Feb 13, 2018 – KII Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We strive to offer competitive compensation and benefits to all employees and recognize those who provide additional value through variable pay (e.g., spot bonus... More

4. "Corporate Communications Coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was a great company to build the working skills I still use to this day. Great people

Cons

Work a lot of hours

5. "Koch x review"

Former Employee - UAV Operator in Harrisville, WV
    Former Employee - UAV Operator in Harrisville, WV

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Security reliability performance efficiency elongation

Cons

Segregation money reached teaching travel

Advice to Management

Safety meetings are good for all.

6. "Still Stuck in 1980s"

Former Employee - Buyer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Buyer in Houston, TX

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Steady paycheck, with benefits.
    One of only handful of companies in this business.

Cons

The owners' name (Koch brothers) does not have a good reputation. Research about the Koch Brothers, they are big funders of Climate Change Denial, and bully Republican congressmen (and own Mike Pence).
    Equipment, people, and systems still stuck in 1980s.
    Very inefficient, archaic, wasteful systems.
    There daily fires to put out, because the systems are lacking, all the while you are falling behind in some paper based work that is not leveraging technology. The systems and supervisors are barely Y2K compliant.
    Most people are only interested in Empire Preservation, don't change anything and just keep going to retirement.
    The Koch Business System (MBM) values are spoken of lots in the top, but no one on the ground understands any of it, let alone lives it.
    If you want to appreciate anything old, WORK HERE.

Advice to Management

Stop being afraid to make changes because the laggards have been with the company too long, and cost too much to payout.
    What's holding your company back is The Tail Wagging The Dog. And the tail only cares to cruise to retirement. That's fine if that is this company's goal also.
    WHY are some people untouchable no matter how many fingers and issues point to them ?
    PEOPLE ARE NOT TOOLS.

Feb 14, 2018 – KII Human Resources

We’re sorry you feel this way. Absolutely, people are not tools, which is why our Guiding Principles instruct us to treat others with honesty, dignity, respect, and sensitivity. We encourage all... More

"Thankful for a career at Koch!"

Current Employee - Manager in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Manager in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Principled Leadership, Talented Employees, Open Environment, No Pretense, Contribution-based rewards

Cons

Individual supervisor competency is critical - which can create some variability in employee experience.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work - and continue to listen with the intent to understand!

"Seek other opportunity"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get a pay check.

Cons

If you are liked by management you have chance. If you are a great worker and not in good with management you will be held back and stuck. Annual raises are not given automatically you have the annual review then they decide to review for a raise of which if you get will take 3-6 months to show on your check and is not, repeat not retro so you only make that amount on paper. Invest in a leadership team who values hardworking individuals and leave clicks behind! If I could rate a zero I would! Don't waste your time unless you know upper management very well and are already someone they like. Don't go to HR with a problem it is not kept confidential at all. I read some negative reviews before i took the job and didn't believe it could be that bad. Believe it I know firsthand it is.

Advice to Management

Get a new team of managers who know the value of a loyal hardworking employee as you are only as good as your leadership team.

Jan 9, 2018 – Social Media Manager

Thanks for your feedback - we’re sorry you feel this way. We do encourage employees to share their ideas and concerns openly (or anonymously through our Guideline) to help hold one another... More

"Fantastic workplace"

Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No politics, almost flat organization, rewards for hard work is recognized, great place to learn and develop.

Cons

Cross business collaboration is not encouraged

Advice to Management

Increase investment in IT, machine learning and data science

10. "Great place"

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time

Pros

Great culture, management is very supportive

Cons

organization is always changing, sometimes it gets really political