Koch Industries Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Koch Industries Chairman and CEO Charles G. Koch
Charles G. Koch

Pros
Cons
  • No work/life balance during compliance season (in 25 reviews)

• Upper management had a table to eat at but most other people ate at their cubicle (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great culture & huge organization = ample opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worked at Koch a decade in four separate Koch companies. Company culture is solid. Never once, in ten years, have I seen something I considered immoral or illegal. Good people - mostly midwestern. Koch doesn't recruit from Ivy League for a reason. People here care about their families and work good hours. Parking lot is nearly empty by 5:30 pm each day.

With so many subsidiaries, there is ample opportunity to change companies, cities, and/or roles. Unless you're a Director-level role or higher, most people are moving around every 2-3 years.

Koch is seeing a lot of baby boomer retirements, and a lot of millennials are coming in the door. Huge intern program (200+ interns each summer). Koch is responding fairly well to this and permitting individual teams/companies to be flexible as needed with millennial demands, however, this place is nowhere near a "start-up" culture. Dress is business-casual, most people are in cubes, there are no beanbags, no gym, no dogs at work.

If you live in Wichita and work at Koch HQ: pay is higher than local comparables, and cost of living is dirt cheap. This is a GREAT combination.

Koch cares very much for its employees. I've seen countless examples of Koch bending over backwards for people and their personal lives - illnesses, death in family, natural disaster, raising funds, charity work. It's really incredible.

Open door policy - I have zero doubt that, right now, I could walk into Mr. Koch's office with a concern or idea and he would welcome me with a huge smile. Management here is so receptive and so kind. It's very humbling.

Cons

Very few.

As I read through "cons" on Glassdoor, it's a shame to think that candidates may read them and presume the cons apply to Koch Industries overall. Koch has more than 100k employees, in hundreds of offices throughout the world. Most complaints seem pretty specific to one group or one disgruntled employee. If you're here more than a few months, chances are the problem will self-resolve. I've had more than a dozen bosses during my time here. Some were better than others, but none were terrible. HR and Compliance are extremely receptive to concerns and will shift things as needed.

Dec 12, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. You are right that we absolutely value feedback from our employees, so thank you for sharing yours! Continue to foster all the pieces that ... More

2. "Project Development"

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Can be time consuming - need to work extra

3. "Service Desk Specialist"

Former Employee - Service Desk Specialist in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Service Desk Specialist in Wichita, KS

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good benefits
    - Fun co-workers and managers
    - Great company

Cons

- No raise in 2 years
    - Very high demands with little reward
    - Automation is allowing them to cut positions which is making it impossible for anyone to move up

Feb 13, 2017

Thank you for leaving feedback and I’m glad to hear you think Koch is a great company. I agree! You mention automation and I have to say we are excited for what automation has to offer our employees ... More

"Training and Procedure Leader"

Current Employee - Training and Procedure Leader in Enid, OK
    Current Employee - Training and Procedure Leader in Enid, OK

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The company's guiding principles makes this company one of the most enjoyable places to work in.
    -People are friendly, respectful, and have the integrity to do the right thing.
    -Places the important things high on the priority list (safety, environmental rules/regulations, compliance of law)
    -You can potentially make more money than your boss (based on your value creation). I've seen it happen.
    -You can respectfully challenge any boss based on company opportunities and business ideas. (Don't expect anything though).

Cons

-Nothing is guaranteed (your job/salary/etc). (Can be good or bad) The company operates on "Market Based Management" which things like tenure or seniority does not apply.

Advice to Management

-Keep up the good work!

Feb 13, 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience! I am glad to see you have seen Market Based Management in action and are enjoying the culture. The people and the basic principles of doing the right thing ... More

"Counsel"

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time

Pros

Leadership, opportunities, new things to try

Cons

Can be political backlash externally

Advice to Management

Stay true to treating employees well even in tough economic times

7. "Analyst/Accountant"

Current Employee - Accountant in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Accountant in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

MBM training was very helpful, good teamwork enviroment

Cons

Wichita, no onsite gym

8. "Director"

Former Employee - Vice President
    Former Employee - Vice President

Pros

Pay is competitive. Expectations are generally not high making overperformance easy.

Cons

Poor management that starts at the top. Merit not rewarded.

"Loved it"

I worked at Koch Industries full-time

Pros

Good pay and learned so much.

Cons

None that come to mind.

10. "Great company to work for."

Former Employee - Engineer in Wilmington, MA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Wilmington, MA

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Technology focused company that wants to bring value to their customers and help solve global water and wastewater challanges. This company takes it commitments to its customers seriously.

Cons

The municipal water and waste water market is very competitive. And the municipal water and wastewater markets are very conservative so it takes some time for these markets to accept new improved technology.

11. "Production techn"

Current Employee - Production Technician in Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Production Technician in Joliet, IL

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Operates valves,pumps,trouble shoots process problems

Cons

Equipment failure not been worked on for a long period of time