Koch Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Koch Industries Chairman and CEO Charles G. Koch
Charles G. Koch

Pros
Cons
  • No work/life balance during compliance season (in 25 reviews)

• Upper management had a table to eat at but most other people ate at their cubicle (in 16 reviews)

1. "Don't work here"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Koch Industries as an intern

Pros

Good pay for an intern

Cons

People are not nice
    Long hours
    Boring work
    Repetitive work

Advice to Management

be nicer. do not down talk other firms

2. "Upper Management is Disconnected"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Immediate colleagues are great. The work provides room to grow and refines your skill set as no two jobs are the same.

Cons

Upper management is disconnected and they don't seek to understand. The culture is not as described, and it starts from the top.

Advice to Management

When you value and respect your employees, then the results will come. Invest in your employees as much as you invest in closing a deal to ensure they have the necessary support to get the job done. You can sale all the product in the world on paper, but without your employees. . . You simply can't deliver. Preriod.

3. "Culture not as described"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work provides an opportunity for diverse experiences with a different challenge to be responded to on a daily basis.

Cons

Koch Industries is a large organization with many sectors, each sector having multiple business units. In my experience and observations, the Koch Company culture that is written about in the books authored by the company president and bragged about during the recruitment phase doesn't seem to exist at Koch Heat Transfer.

Advice to Management

Run the business as if your most important resource is your employees and you will find success. Seek to understand the people on the team and the value they bring; the best organizations are open and collaborative. Consider reading The Science of Success and Good Profit and applying the ideas in the books.

"Run!"

Former Employee - Tax Accountant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Tax Accountant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Koch Industries (Less than a year)

Pros

You will learn a lot in a short period of time.

Cons

They market themselves as having work life balance when it is not at all. I specially chose not to go into public as I know I didn't want that life style but Koch is very much churn & burn mindset. There is also a disconnect between the KS office & ATL office that often times makes it hard to do your job. Too much turnover & quick to fire people.

6. "Payroll"

I worked at Koch Industries full-time

Pros

Pay is very competitive and the people are nice. There is opportunity to grow of you have someone to vouche for you otherwise you are stuck.

Cons

Management is terrible it's their way or no way. If you are not aligned with the "in group" you will be stagnant.

Advice to Management

Advice to managers stop micro managing and knit picking everything. Give people the opportunity to advance in the area.

"Be careful!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corpus Christi, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corpus Christi, TX

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time

Pros

As long as you learn the MBM game, you will have great job security and management will put you into a supervisory role regardless of your technical knowledge that falls within your subject area.

Cons

-MBM is used as a crutch in the absence of true technical knowledge
    -There are more supervisors than truly needed
    -Supervisors do not have a true pulse of the organization and how dissatisfied the majority of the workforce is.
    -No accountability of management
    -Senior leaders need to retire and bring in upper management from the outside, otherwise the culture will never change

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees. Progress with industry and make decisions that truly 'challenge the status quo.' Hold people AND all supervisors accountable for their actions and/or inaction. Hold people accountable for making decisions that fall within their 'decision rights.' Group think is rampant because people are never developed or possess the technical knowledge they need for the position they fill.

"It was an interesting experience"

I worked at Koch Industries full-time

Pros

It is part of Koch Industries so benefits are good.

Cons

The company is run to satisfy the ego of David Koch. He promotes people who agree with him and almost no one is brave enough to disagree. When I was there, I saw a few people in management that went from being loved to hated by David Koch because they tried to make changes. It's the story of the Emperor has New Clothes. David Koch uses it as a toy factory to make a bunch of products that no one wants.

Advice to Management

Good luck. It looks like the smart ones are leaving.

"Good people, bad management"

I worked at Koch Industries (More than 3 years)

Pros

The majority of employees are great to work with. It was the best part of my job.

You do get paid, but it will be less than you could get somewhere else. Benefits are ok, similar to other companies.

Cons

Poor management. Most supervisors have mastered the ability to sling buzzwords about the management, but have little to no experience doing any work. Inreality most of them have 2 years or less in the company. They have almost no idea what you're doing or why. All they know is we have to cut costs. i agree with the other reviewers that many supervisors are simply yes men who agree with whatever management comes up with.

Compensation and reviews. Part of the comp philosophy is individual pay based on your results, which is a nice idea. What it means is you are not getting a raise, either because the company isn't making enough or because your review wasn't good enough. Your review will have some actual feedback, but most of it is based on how well you are liked by your reviewers. Anything you did wrong, no matter how small will be held against you. It's a great way to push for more from you without paying you more.

Retention. Basically no one plans on staying with the company. Most of the people I worked with were looking to get out before they were let go. Most of the high performers leave within two years. The burnout rate I'd incredibly high.

Work life balance. I didn't have a vacation without emails or calls for 3 years. You will be expected to be available at all times. If you don't answer it will be held against you in your review.

Cost cutting. I heard optimization more times than I could count. The organization is trying to cut costs everywhere, which results in a heavier load on the employees. They're leaving for a better run company, like I did, which makes the remaining employees more loaded.

Culture. This is both good and bad. If the management system was actually used it would be an ok place to work. But the system isn't seen as a tool. It's seen as a goal in itself. It is thought that if you follow the system success is guaranteed, regardless of facts and reality. The idea of challenging decisions is great, but don't actually do it. You'll be labeled a trouble maker and told you don't have the big picture. It's an incredibly frustrating feeling when you have a valid concern. In the end most people just give up on trying to make a difference.

Advice to Management

I'm not going to bother. You didn't listen to me when I worked there, so why would you listen now.

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Corpus Christi, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Corpus Christi, TX

I worked at Koch Industries (More than 3 years)

Pros

Koch pipeline will give you incredible opportunities for a new college graduate. Within 2-3 years you will be managing multi million dollar projects. There are a lot of really good people that work at Koch pipeline.

Cons

There are several fundemental problems with working at Koch pipeline. First and foremost there is a toxic office environment that encourages people to talk the cultural talk "MBM mouth breathers" rather then actually accomplish anything. If you can use buzzwords and read any book Charles Koch has written you will move ahead quickly. Unfortunately this means all of management are yes men with little real work experience and are not helpful to you in resolving issues or problems. The turnover rate is horrendous during my time there in a little over three years we went through 13 project managers. It's not uncommon for the most senior project manager to have less then 3 years of work experience. Add that to the fact that being held accountable only works for the project managers; business, accounting, and operations are not held accountable for any changes made during the project process. Pay is less then average for the industry and bonuses based on "marginal contribution" are little to nonexistent. Do not be fooled by the sales pitch that you have unlimited earning potential or your bonus can be as high as the value you create THIS IS NOT TRUE. If you are interested in working for Koch Flint Hills Resources seems to be more stable, pay better and have higher bonuses.

Advice to Management

Seriously look at the management in south Texas and determine if they are the root of the huge retention problem. Clean out the people that are not productive and only use buzzwords to get ahead with management. Bring in management with real world experience and people that can actually make a difference. Help improve office morale and make the work environment better in general.

"Koch"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Nice location
    Nice people
    Pay is ok

Cons

Cant think of anything serious