Koch Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 27, 2017

Koch Industries Chairman and CEO Charles G. Koch
Charles G. Koch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The Market-Based Management (MBM) is something this is intensely emphasized (in 13 reviews)

• Koch Industries is a great company to be a part of (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Do not work to ensure employee has a work/life balance (in 27 reviews)

• There were definitely some nights with long hours, but that can be expected in any accounting role (in 17 reviews)

"EST"

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time

Pros

The people are very nice.

Cons

Management and leadership is very biased.

2. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The company rewards hard work and entrepreneurship
    -Managers and mid-level staff are supportive and care about developing employees

Cons

-For satellite offices HR support is slim to non-existent
    -Senior and Executive level employees don't take the company's professed culture seriously. Employees are expected not to challenge decisions.
    -HR policies emphasize the company and profits, not employee wellness or productivity

Jul 18, 2017 – HR Recruiter

Thanks for sharing your compliments and constructive criticism. We strive to create a workplace where all employees can be heard as well as develop their skills, accomplishing more together than we... More

3. "Manager"

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time

Pros

Koch has been a great place for me to learn about business and grow my career. The business unit I have been a apart of has allowed me to expand my role. Entrepreneurship and challenge process is encouraged. MBM is great set of principles for the business.

Cons

Not everyone adheres or applies MBM the same. Some do much better than others. Lack of flexibility of work location, lack of dev, programs and women's programs, bland office environment for office staff.

Advice to Management

Somewhat rigid and old school management style. Leaders don't have proper employee development training. No real leadership programs or other employee dev. beside MBM. New employees love the entrepreneurial opportunities they are recruited with but get frustrated with dated HR work practices as a hindrance to application of MBM in today's market. No program for development of women within the organization. Very few women in upper management other than HR. HR practices penalize women of childbearing age. Some make it through others leave and find flexibility elsewhere.

4. "Love/Hate kind of company"

Former Contractor - Boilermaker
    Former Contractor - Boilermaker

I worked at Koch Industries as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and lots of hours when you're working. Lots of good people and it's always something different. That's about it

Cons

Nobody can be straight forward with you when you're going back to work. Take you off job list without a heads up and you find out days before the job when you're looking for job details.

Advice to Management

Don't be chicken chit and be straight forward with your people. If you're gonna remove folks from jobs, let them know so they can look elsewhere to pay their debts. When it's time to staff a job, bring in people for what they know and not who you know.

"Great Salaries but......"

Former Employee - Senior Recovery Analyst in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Senior Recovery Analyst in Wichita, KS

I worked at Koch Industries (More than a year)

Pros

the salaries are great and the downtown locations are accessible via public transportation if you choose not to drive

Cons

the MBM principles are not evenly used across the board

"Koch Heat Transfer Changes Good for Business(?), Bad for Employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Koch Industries full-time

Pros

The work is challenging and time sensitive. A fast paced environment is encouraged. Roles are clearly defined. They are somewhat flexible on work hours.

Cons

Low tolerance for errors. They seem to prefer to let people go rather than allow them to learn and grow. Consequently, they is a high turnover rate. Many of my colleagues are afraid that any day may be their last, so they are looking for other opportunities. There is a segregation between departments regarding exchanger of information, meaning that other departments should not know about the inner workings of another department. This has been getting better, but still has a long way to go. It doesn't seem to matter if you are good, just keep the bosses happy.

Advice to Management

It is important to find root causes of errors and take steps to ensure they do not repeat. However, it is also important to allow workers to learn and grow. Records are kept of errors that workers make, but the end result of those errors should also be recorded as well as the steps that the worker took to correct the error. Bringing in new people to replace someone who has made mistakes just sets that new person up to make their own mistakes, so they will be replaced and the cycle continues. Implement a bonus program (nonexistent as of this rating, despite what they might promise).

7. "Environmental Compliance Coordinator"

Former Employee - Environmental Compliance Coordinator
    Former Employee - Environmental Compliance Coordinator

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people to work with however the overall culture of the place was do good and we will keep you, if you make an error, they have no remorse and let you go immediately. I saw this a number of times with former employees.

Cons

Do not work to ensure employee has a work/life balance. Expectations after being there several months was to work later than normal work hours even when there was nothing to do.

Advice to Management

Utilize standard work practices and ensure you look at your 6 month outlook before hiring people. Finding out two months after being hired that the entire division was in a downward spiral and that layoffs were to take place was very disheartening especially after relocating to take this job.

"Good business philosophy, bad career development"

Former Employee - Market Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Market Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

MBM is actually a good framework. Koch is a good place to get your career started and learn valuable business skills. The people are generally nice and willing to help you out.

Cons

The company has become more bureaucratic over the years with layers of management. If you're not senior management, it is very difficult to get recognized or rewarded. Management does everything they can to keep costs low and employees replaceable. Politics plays a strong role in who gets opportunities.

Advice to Management

Reward and incentivize your strongest employees properly. Have higher standards for talent.

May 17, 2017 – HR Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. At Koch, Market Based Management is at the core of what drives our corporate culture and I am glad to hear the positive feedback. Market Based... More

"Corporate world"

Former Employee - Senior Accounting Assistant in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Senior Accounting Assistant in Wichita, KS

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is a good place to get your foot in the door.

Cons

Unless you are upper management you are just a number.

Advice to Management

Get feedback from employees and take action on items that are discussed

10. "Employee Support Specialist"

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time

Pros

You will learn a lot that you can take somewhere else

Cons

Pay doesn't equal workload. The health coverage is terrible. You have to pay for parking.

Apr 25, 2017 – Social Media Manager

Thanks for your feedback! We’re glad to hear you’re learning a lot. Employees are our most important resource, and we strive to support the health and professional development of our employees with... More