Koch Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Koch Industries Chairman and CEO Charles G. Koch
Charles G. Koch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Competitive Work Environment, the company lives and breaths market based management (in 13 reviews)

• It was a great company to build the working skills I still use to this day (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Do not work to ensure employee has a work/life balance (in 28 reviews)

• Sometimes there are long hours, but nothing too bad (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Not what I expected from "corporate" world. Loving it!"

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Treated as an individual, not just a number despite being 120,000+ employees. You know where you stand because you are constantly given feedback on what you are doing well and where you could be improving to do even better. We operate off of guidelines, not policies, wherever possible to allow for free thinking and focus on the most important items.

Cons

Not all areas of Koch are up-to-date with current demands/preferences of employees. For example: work from home, flextime, work attire, maternity/paternity leave etc. The ship is turning around though and I believe the company is starting to hone in on the important benefits, not just the trendy ones.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in leadership that is passionate about people, this makes the biggest difference. Work on the speed of change, each situation will require a different pace, make sure to treat them appropriately.

2. "Summer Tax Intern"

Former Intern - Tax Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Former Intern - Tax Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Koch Industries as an intern

Pros

I'm not the type to leave long reviews but I'm very surprised to see some bad reviews that could be very misleading. So here is what I think, Koch Industries - Atlanta is an awesome place to start your career. I've had several internships in the past and I can say without a doubt that I had the best internship experience at this company. I read a comment here about somebody saying that there aren't enough team bonding activities, this really depends on what you expect. For me, I think there were enough activities where we went to places like Top Golf, Escape Room, etc. Keep in mind that this company treats their interns as if they are full time employees, which allows you to see and experience what it would be like if you were to work as a full-time employee hence the reason for less activities compared to other big companies. My friends who interned at the Big 4 firms did say they had a lot of fun activities but at the end of the internship they told me they didn't get to see a whole lot of the real staff level work you will do once you begin full-time. It is true that the company has its own guiding principles but it's nothing out of the norm. Work is meaningful, and you get to work with some of the smartest people and learn the difference between public accounting and private accounting. As many accounting students prefer to land an internship at a BIG 4 or mid-size public firms, I wouldn’t have wanted to intern at a private company. However, a private company of this size is a completely different story as Koch Industries is the second largest private company in the country and is constantly growing through acquisitions. Also, if $ is your biggest consideration, this company has a lot of it and interns get paid just as much as the big 4 if not more. Overall, great place to start your career and see if this is the right job/place for you. If you received an offer and are reading this, you should be proud of yourself as this is a very competitive position.

Cons

Work can be monotonous at times

"Thankful for a career at Koch!"

Current Employee - Manager in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Manager in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Principled Leadership, Talented Employees, Open Environment, No Pretense, Contribution-based rewards

Cons

Individual supervisor competency is critical - which can create some variability in employee experience.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work - and continue to listen with the intent to understand!

"Fantastic workplace"

Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No politics, almost flat organization, rewards for hard work is recognized, great place to learn and develop.

Cons

Cross business collaboration is not encouraged

Advice to Management

Increase investment in IT, machine learning and data science

5. "Great place"

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time

Pros

Great culture, management is very supportive

Cons

organization is always changing, sometimes it gets really political

"Strong culture with awesome colleagues"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Culture - I feel empowered to innovate, challenge, and be creative. I've seen reviews in the past that referred to our culture as "cult-like", but our values are pretty fundamental - have integrity, maintain compliance, create value, be respectful, share knowledge, etc.. From my view, Koch differentiates itself from other organizations by truly holding leaders and team members accountable for maintaining this culture, and I personally appreciate that. I see our culture as an asset.
    People - My Koch colleagues are bright, creative, energized, and inspiring. We support each other, and we challenge each other. We do not sit still – we are motivated by continual improvement.
    Opportunity – Approaching my seventh year, I am in my fourth(ish) role at Koch. I’ve had the opportunity work as part of an existing team, develop my own team, and join and influence the direction of a newly forming team. Koch is constantly evolving, and so are the opportunities for professional growth and development, as well as advancement.

Cons

The rapid pace of change can be overwhelming at times, but the leadership team does a great job of keeping everyone grounded, informed, and motivated. That said, Koch is probably not the right place for people who are looking for routine, repetitive roles, and it's definitely not the right place for people who want to "fly under the radar". The pace is not for everyone.

Koch Industries Response

Oct 17, 2017 – HR Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we appreciate your feedback. Also, thanks for allowing the opportunity for future employees to get an inside view at what working at Koch looks like!

7. "Best fertilizer company to work at"

I have been working at Koch Industries as an intern

Pros

Good Benefits
    High wage
    Safe than Oil and Gas companies

Cons

24x7 working hours, you have to work during night shifts too

Advice to Management

Well managed companies

"Tax dept"

Current Employee - Tax Director
    Current Employee - Tax Director

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Tons of opportunity for advancement.

Cons

No cons to note.

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Analyst in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great pay, good benefits

Cons

There are not many cons with this company

10. "Financial Analyst Intern"

I have been working at Koch Industries as an intern

Pros

Amazing privately-held company that has a unique culture, gives great opportunities to grow, and pursue careers in a variety of roles and companies. They focus on trying to develop employees as much as they can.

Cons

Not for someone who is looking for a set career path or for people who are not comfortable having at least some of their pay depend on performance and contribution to the company.

Advice to Management

Work to improve the onboarding process to help employees start work on day one and better understand the company more fully.