Koch Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Koch Industries Chairman and CEO Charles G. Koch
Charles G. Koch

Pros
Cons
  • Do not work to ensure employee has a work/life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Unless you are upper management you are just a number (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great culture & huge organization = ample opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worked at Koch a decade in four separate Koch companies. Company culture is solid. Never once, in ten years, have I seen something I considered immoral or illegal. Good people - mostly midwestern. Koch doesn't recruit from Ivy League for a reason. People here care about their families and work good hours. Parking lot is nearly empty by 5:30 pm each day.

With so many subsidiaries, there is ample opportunity to change companies, cities, and/or roles. Unless you're a Director-level role or higher, most people are moving around every 2-3 years.

Koch is seeing a lot of baby boomer retirements, and a lot of millennials are coming in the door. Huge intern program (200+ interns each summer). Koch is responding fairly well to this and permitting individual teams/companies to be flexible as needed with millennial demands, however, this place is nowhere near a "start-up" culture. Dress is business-casual, most people are in cubes, there are no beanbags, no gym, no dogs at work.

If you live in Wichita and work at Koch HQ: pay is higher than local comparables, and cost of living is dirt cheap. This is a GREAT combination.

Koch cares very much for its employees. I've seen countless examples of Koch bending over backwards for people and their personal lives - illnesses, death in family, natural disaster, raising funds, charity work. It's really incredible.

Open door policy - I have zero doubt that, right now, I could walk into Mr. Koch's office with a concern or idea and he would welcome me with a huge smile. Management here is so receptive and so kind. It's very humbling.

Cons

Very few.

As I read through "cons" on Glassdoor, it's a shame to think that candidates may read them and presume the cons apply to Koch Industries overall. Koch has more than 100k employees, in hundreds of offices throughout the world. Most complaints seem pretty specific to one group or one disgruntled employee. If you're here more than a few months, chances are the problem will self-resolve. I've had more than a dozen bosses during my time here. Some were better than others, but none were terrible. HR and Compliance are extremely receptive to concerns and will shift things as needed.

Dec 12, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. You are right that we absolutely value feedback from our employees, so thank you for sharing yours! Continue to foster all the pieces that ... More

2. "Maintenance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, great products, comfortable environment. Wonderful vision and purpose with a product that really makes a difference in the world.

Cons

Very corporate, rigid and stuffy.

Advice to Management

Do what it takes to grow and expand the business. Become more employer friendly. Participate in community projects and be a better corporate citizen.

"Koch Business Solutions Review- Intern to full time"

Current Employee - IT Employee in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - IT Employee in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Everything going on from a technology perspective is very exciting (moved everything to the cloud, HCM implementation across Koch, RPA COE, Data Analytics COE, etc.) Seems like it all started with the acquisition of Molex and then from there the company has invested a lot both internally and externally through the investments in Infor, acquisition of Birst, EFT Analytics, I360, etc.

I came through the internship program and have had several opportunities to move from Wichita and to other companies. Their focus on emerging technology and the company culture is what has kept me at the company. I have a lot of other friends that talk about their work experiences and I am truly lucky to work at Koch. Market Based Management when applied well, is a VERY powerful tool.

Cons

From a work practices perspective Koch has fallen behind the market even in Wichita. Employees of all ages want work flexibility, just for different reasons. My understanding is that KBS HR is working on a project to bring change in this area. I look forward to seeing the positive impact this will have!

Advice to Management

Listen to the market and put more focus on certain benefits like work flexibility, vacation, maternity leave, etc. This will help ensure we are attracting and retaining entrepreneurial and innovative talent.

Not everyone practices MBM well. Just making sure that when that does happen, feedback is given, and if we don't see change that tough decisions are being made. MBM is what makes Koch so great, so when it isn't practiced well it can be destructive. Luckily, I have seen these issues taken care (even at the leadership level) pretty quickly.

5. "retired"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Columbia, SC
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Columbia, SC

I worked at Koch Industries as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice set of working principles.

Cons

None that I can think of at this time.

"KII Review"

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best culture and group of people I've ever worked with. The challenge culture is something that is invaluable for an employer to embrace and promote, and the expectation of everyone to challenge the status quo drives great dialog and breeds a culture of innovation. KII is a large enterprise with an abundance of opportunity, and for the most part the mental model to select first on values and beliefs creates a competitive advantage.

Cons

Senior management at the corporate level is somewhat disconnected from what employees value and modern work practices in the market. Based on anecdotal evidence and hard facts I've been exposed to, KII is falling behind the market in digital business, work/life balance, some benefits, and non-financial incentives.

Advice to Management

Challenge yourselves to be more receptive to radical change in the way the modern workplace operates. Listen to those that have the most exposure to front-line employees, and shift some of your older mental models.

"Koch Business Solutions Review"

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time

Pros

I have really enjoyed my time at Koch and it has been a very different experience compared to other companies I have worked for. I believe the difference comes down to Koch being privately held and operating under its Market Based Management Business Philosophy. My experience personally has been that Koch pays for value creation and not seniority. The expectation has also been set with me that I own my career and that there is not a one size fits all career path. Those two things alone were extremely refreshing to me based on other companies I have worked for. The working environment has been extremely respectful and I have enjoyed the ability to challenge the status quo at all levels. I have seen that leaders are very open to different and new ways of doing things and they actively seek out my thoughts and opinions on things.

Cons

Some of the none core benefits like flexible scheduling and work from home are not utilized often in the Wichita location. It does however seem they are used often throughout other Koch locations. I was a part of an engagement survey that HR conducted and I have seen quite a bit of positive change come from that. However, a lot of that change has seemed to come in other locations based on conversations I have had with other colleagues. Either way, I think our leaders and HR are focusing on the right things and that will make Koch and even better place to work then it already is.

Advice to Management

Feedback given above. There is an opportunity to work on non core benefits to ensure we are competitive in the market and allowing for a good work/life balance.

Mar 13, 2017 – HR Recruiter

We are pleased to hear the positive feedback on your overall experience at Koch Business Solutions. At Koch, Market Based Management is at the core of what drives our corporate culture and I am glad ... More

8. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company culture
    Great people to be around
    Numerous career opportunities
    Learning environment

Cons

I have had a great ten years at this employer!

Mar 13, 2017

Thank you for 1. your service to the company and 2. for sharing your feedback! We are very happy to hear when someone has seen a solid career, but also mention the people and the culture! Fulfillment ... More

"HR"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company culture, intelligent co-workers and development opportunities

Cons

Can be demanding work hours

10. "Pipefitter technician I handle the day to day task of perform fits for plant structures in the chemical plant industry"

Current Employee - Pipeline Technician in Mont Belvieu, TX
    Current Employee - Pipeline Technician in Mont Belvieu, TX

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very well diversified, opportunity for growth in which every field you choose. Show interest and the will to learn the possibilities are endless

Cons

Paid time off is pretty much out the question in the beginning. You have to accumulate years of work history.

Advice to Management

Upper management is fair. Of course on all levels you have to sleep with one eye open there's going to be someone that looks at things negatively

"Training and Procedure Leader"

Current Employee - Training and Procedure Leader in Enid, OK
    Current Employee - Training and Procedure Leader in Enid, OK

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The company's guiding principles makes this company one of the most enjoyable places to work in.
    -People are friendly, respectful, and have the integrity to do the right thing.
    -Places the important things high on the priority list (safety, environmental rules/regulations, compliance of law)
    -You can potentially make more money than your boss (based on your value creation). I've seen it happen.
    -You can respectfully challenge any boss based on company opportunities and business ideas. (Don't expect anything though).

Cons

-Nothing is guaranteed (your job/salary/etc). (Can be good or bad) The company operates on "Market Based Management" which things like tenure or seniority does not apply.

Advice to Management

-Keep up the good work!

Feb 13, 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience! I am glad to see you have seen Market Based Management in action and are enjoying the culture. The people and the basic principles of doing the right thing ... More