Koch Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Koch Industries Chairman and CEO Charles G. Koch
Charles G. Koch

Pros
  • Good Culture - Market based management is a powerful tool for people who actually believe it (in 15 reviews)

• Great company culture, intelligent co-workers and development opportunities (in 19 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great culture & huge organization = ample opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worked at Koch a decade in four separate Koch companies. Company culture is solid. Never once, in ten years, have I seen something I considered immoral or illegal. Good people - mostly midwestern. Koch doesn't recruit from Ivy League for a reason. People here care about their families and work good hours. Parking lot is nearly empty by 5:30 pm each day.

With so many subsidiaries, there is ample opportunity to change companies, cities, and/or roles. Unless you're a Director-level role or higher, most people are moving around every 2-3 years.

Koch is seeing a lot of baby boomer retirements, and a lot of millennials are coming in the door. Huge intern program (200+ interns each summer). Koch is responding fairly well to this and permitting individual teams/companies to be flexible as needed with millennial demands, however, this place is nowhere near a "start-up" culture. Dress is business-casual, most people are in cubes, there are no beanbags, no gym, no dogs at work.

If you live in Wichita and work at Koch HQ: pay is higher than local comparables, and cost of living is dirt cheap. This is a GREAT combination.

Koch cares very much for its employees. I've seen countless examples of Koch bending over backwards for people and their personal lives - illnesses, death in family, natural disaster, raising funds, charity work. It's really incredible.

Open door policy - I have zero doubt that, right now, I could walk into Mr. Koch's office with a concern or idea and he would welcome me with a huge smile. Management here is so receptive and so kind. It's very humbling.

Cons

Very few.

As I read through "cons" on Glassdoor, it's a shame to think that candidates may read them and presume the cons apply to Koch Industries overall. Koch has more than 100k employees, in hundreds of offices throughout the world. Most complaints seem pretty specific to one group or one disgruntled employee. If you're here more than a few months, chances are the problem will self-resolve. I've had more than a dozen bosses during my time here. Some were better than others, but none were terrible. HR and Compliance are extremely receptive to concerns and will shift things as needed.

Koch Industries Response

Dec 12, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. You are right that we absolutely value feedback from our employees, so thank you for sharing yours! Continue to foster all the pieces that ... More

"A terrific company, where the sky is the limit -- if you're willing to get better each and every year."

Current Employee - Director in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Director in Wichita, KS

Pros

The management philosophy is unique. It attempts to take those things that work well in the free market and apply them inside the firm. Things like property rights (decision rights), incentives (pay for performance), and encouraging employees to act like owners and start and grow the business as an entreprepreneur would. Being privately held is a huge competitive advantage because the company does not have to behave as those who fear wall street punishing their stock price if the last 3 mos do not meet financial expectations. This allows the company to look at things over a long term - which is what all boards should be doing but do not.

Cons

It is a very 'bottom line' company, not that that's a bad thing, but the bar is constantly being raised and this can lead to burn-out. The upside is that if you perform, you really have the opportunity to earn beyond your peers at other companies.

Advice to Management

The culture of the company is the greatest competitive advantage I see among its competitors. Too many recent large acquisitions have begun to dilute the culture. Leadership should have a zero tolerance for those who behave counter to the culture that has made the company what it is today.

"Solid company with good management."

Former Employee - Principal Process Engineer in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Principal Process Engineer in Wichita, KS

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Koch Industries is a very stable organization with a solid growth plan.

Cons

Headquarters are located in Wichita, Kansas

Advice to Management

Open a branch in Colorado

"Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All employees believe and are held to practicing the MBM guiding Principles. You are surrounded by individuals with similar work values. New ideas are encouraged and celebrated. You get real time feedback from peers/supervisors. Your compensation is based on the value you create for the company. I love that your hard work is recognized financially. You are not given the same salary as a sub-par performer. There are no egos. Leaders treat subordinates as their equal. There are no silos. departments communicate freely and help one other.

Cons

I really have not experienced any. Many reviews state that the work life balance is poor. I typically see most working 40-50 hours a week. We are adults. We work extra when we need to and leave on time when appropriate. When work life balance seems is off, I see them adding additional staff.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! I'm proud to work at Koch!

5. "Excellent Employer!"

Current Employee - Accountant in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Accountant in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The group I work with provides semi-annual performance reviews, an entrepreneurial environment, encourages thinking outside the box through a creative destruction mentality, and is genuinely concerned about having a good work/life balance.

Cons

The commute is not terrible but it is approximately a 30 minute drive from where I am located. I would prefer to be closer to home, especially with gas prices being what they are lately.

Advice to Management

The Market Based Management framework is ideal and keep up the good work on the regular performance reviews, it is truly a morale booster and also lets employees know if they are doing what is expected of them in a timely manner. Allowing some flexible scheduling allows both parents to work and still have time for their family activities.

6. "Company was very positive and full of opportunities"

Former Employee - Maintenance in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Maintenance in San Diego, CA

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Private company that is very stable.

Cons

I Worked the night shift

"Great Company"

I worked at Koch Industries full-time

Pros

Good culture and a profitable company

Cons

didn't promote Women when I worked there.

Advice to Management

Utilize women more in upper management

"Great place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This is a growing company with many opportunities. The MBM culture is very unique and aligns well with my morals and personal beliefs on markets and economics.

Cons

The commute into the Atlanta office can be strenuous. The company is not as flexible on working from home as others in the Atlanta market.

Advice to Management

Lead by example on the MBM culture.

"Glad I didn't read into the reviews on here to much!!"

Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good culture, value high performers, good management in place, good pay, good benefits, advancement opportunities

Cons

I'm glad I didn't read into the reviews online, they're definitely misleading. I looked at these going into the interviews and made sure to watch for the things said on here. Since taking the opportunity I haven't see any of these issues thus far. I've been with Koch for 3 years now.

"Koch has a unique business philosophy/culture that rewards you according to the value you create for the organization!"

Current Employee - Human Resources Services in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Human Resources Services in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

One of the many things I love about working at Koch is the unique culture. Working at Koch empowers you to think like a business owner with the encouragement to share your voice. Your contributions are more important than seniority, which means you can make an immediate and ongoing difference!

Cons

Working at Koch requires principled entrepreneurship & high initiative and may not be the best match for everyone.

Advice to Management

Koch companies have some of the best leaders you will find.